1. Miss Akihabara 2017: Preliminary Round: Nominations & Qualifications (inc. Naruto and one piece).
    Is currently being held in the Akihabara district, visit the thread here to find out more.

Yugioh general thread #6: Kōrinseyo, waga tamashī!

Discussion in 'Akihabara TV Channel' started by Xiammes, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Linkofone Active Member

Pulled Dragon Waifu.

2. luffy no haki Stronger than all

Man, just watched last ep. what the heck?

I was fine with Zarc bullshitting his way and raping everyone but this outcome just makes it lookn like the ending of this series will be pretty meh.

3. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

So I literally just got back from Dark Side of Dimensions. I'm to go over my thoughts via Pros and Cons. Specifically this is for the dubbed version, I feel that the two are likely different enough to warrant separate viewings

Pros:
    Incredible visuals. The CGi monsters are really detailed, some more than others and this actually makes the new duel disks Kaiba designed visibly stand out and be more impressive to both the audiences in and out of the movie. There are some really strong individual shots of the characters. Yugioh as a series has always had impressive character design once Kaz finalized his designs and some like Yugi, Atem, Kaiba, and Aigami look really amazing. The one flaw being some character shots from the side not looking up to par with the rest of the movie. The starry backgrounds in Egypt also looked incredible.

Eric Stuart's Kaiba. Possibly the saving grace of the entire movie. He's ego and technological prowess are taken to all new heights. He's constantly pushing things forward and cocky as fuck about everything to the point where it feels off when he's generous to Yugi, and the things he's able to do are just so amazing that you can't help but feels he deserves to bask in the glow of his own accomplishments. Eric Stuart really channels all of what Kaiba stands for.

Most of the returning cast. While I thought Aigami's VA was fine in terms of the voice itself, he had a good number of clunky line deliveries. The great thing about the returning cast is that they pretty much never had this issue and any awkwardly delivered lines are merely because of the script's awkward writing.

More on how the Millennium Ring got control of Bakura. His dad felt kind of ridiculous, but it was a nice touch overall.

The very end of the movie where Kaiba takes the shit he's been doing even further. That fucking cliffhanger...I kind of like to think that Kaiba wins this time to mirror how the Priest Seto apparently caused the Pharaoh's downfall in the end and as a reward of sorts for his progress.

The Blue Eyes Jet is canon to the manga.

Tea fan service. It wasn't in my face, but they made her really attractive in the movie.

Cons:

The script is extremely lacking. Most of the movie is hard to follow even for a hardcore fan who has a slight gist of the movie already. There's some good one liners here and there, but this is a huge issue which possibly ruined the movie.

The plot itself which is extremely hard to follow was further muddied by the script. This extends to character motivations and major plot points such as Plana.

Dimension Duels are a terrible concept, at least in execution. They aren't explained well the first time and they make less and less sense as the movie goes on with monsters being tributes for more monsters to attack more constantly. They make up all of the duels except for one and the duels are hurt for it when they should be one of the main draws. This leads into the next issue.

The pacing. The pacing is all over the place and in particular the extremely fast pace of the duels butchers them terribly. There's very few explanations for how cards work and cards like Deep Eyes don't even seem to have their ATK ever shown. It was ridiculous, they just kept on playing as if everyone in the theater would've just memorized every single card used. This is used similarly to wiz by any plot holes and there's a lot of them.

Atem's win over the possessed Aigami was fucking bullshit that made no sense. The logic was basically BECAUSE HE'S ATEM. Obelisk is similarly unexplained beyond coming from Kaiba's tenacity somehow.

They don't explain how Kaiba's tech can negate Plana.

The new voice actors. I liked Aigami's voice despite the above issues and his friend Mani's voice is probably better than Aigami himself and is up there with the original cast, but pretty much everyone else that was new was really bad not just in delivery but just in general. Sera's voice was painful compared to how I'm sure Kana Hanazawa voices her.

Misc:

Since when was Shadi also named Shin?

There's more but I don't feel like more typing atm.

Basically I enjoyed it for Kaiba and the nostalgia, but honestly I think the movie failed on too many levels for me to enjoy it as much as I hoped I would.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  4. Linkofone Active Member

To be be fair, this movie was suppose to be made towards that fans that knew more about Yu-Gi-Oh! as a whole. Many card stats were released months in advance in the MOVIE PACK.

Calling forth Atem from the afterlife was kinda bullshit, but it was honestly the only way that they could overcome the power of the millennium ring. I felt that summoning Mahad was a good idea to end the duel.

They basically proved that Kaiba's willpower can overcome magic.

Shadi was probably his ghost name. There's no point in using his real name now that he became a ghost.

5. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

Expecting us to follow it the way it was presented is ludicrous. Just because movie cards are released doesn't mean everyone knows every single one. I've known a few of them for like a year and still got lost. There was plenty of other BS like ritual summoning with no sight of the ritual spell.

I liked seeing Mahad, but going by his card, what the hell would he have done?

He mentions it's his technology, not willpower in that instance.

I guess? But now the wiki calls him Shadi Shin as if that was always a thing.

6. luffy no haki Stronger than all

What I find sad is that Tea left, leaving a heinous sausage party behind.

7. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

I found it odd that Serenity didn't even appear in Joey's memories or something.

8. luffy no haki Stronger than all

Mainly I considered it a pure fan service movie(of course I don´t mean ecchi here) due to it being focused solely on the first series. I enjoyed it but yeah it has many flaws still, the good things it did well were very good.

9. Linkofone Active Member

There were two or three things that were inconsistent with cards, but other than that, I thought it was ok.

Mahad was able to special summon itself and when it battles any Dark Monsters, it 2x its own attack. When it dies, it summons a Dark Magician. 5000 attack wasn't bad.

This is the same Kaiba that doubted the Heart of the Cards as well. Do you really think he'll say something like
    "my willpower was strong enough", or do you think he'll mention that "my technological advances are so great" babble?

It certainly wasn't technology that enable him to bring up Obelisk. :cat

10. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

I feel like that's something that would most take you out of it. Duels are one of the biggest draws to the series so when they pull shit like this it's all the more noticable.

Now if only we knew Deep Eyes' ATK or something and why Kaiba went for it over Chaos Max which had been properly summoned supposedly or any other dragon. Looking it up on the wikia makes me wonder why Kaiba used Monster Reborn on it.

At that moment in the movie they're going over how Kaiba's technology is so great, then Aigami says how it's no match for plana because magic is limitless, he tries to BFR Kaiba, Kaiba's tech glows and repels the plana shit and then Kaiba comments on how technology had no limits either. I'm not sure how you could get willpower out of that. The Obelisk thing was closer to that, which reminds me that I didn't get the promo card...

11. Linkofone Active Member

Because throughout the series, the only way for another character to defend him or herself from magic is either 1). Willpower and 2). Another equally strong magical source.

Kaiba didn't have number 2. And his technology wasn't able to defend himself from the millennium ring or show anything close to what he did against Aigami after their initial duel. Willpower weakens, while technology should be able to protect Kaiba just as good as the first time he used it.

12. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

That just goes against the script and visual cues, though. The Ring affected Kaiba because he took that hit and lost, before that he wasn't really affected. It's the same as before tbh, he has a defense against hit unless he's beaten in a duel in which case your opponent basically has power over you as is the case in the series.

13. DVD Moderator Moderator

I'm halfway into Darkside of Dimensions and so far Kaiba
    • showed up literally within space
    • Ordered a guy fired for making a flimsy water bottle
    • Jumped out of a fucking Jet
    • Summoned fucking Obelisk and no sold magic sheerly with the power of his ego
    • Has an elevator to space
    • Even his fucking A.I has adapted to fellate his genius.

I missed Kaiba and his magnificent ego so damn much. I can't even tell if I'm watching the abridged version.:oldryoma

14. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

Kaiba was the best part of the movie by far. I wish this did end up being a solo movie for him as was originally planned.

15. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

Long ass recap, we've got the standard dimension intro back now but we're still stuck with that shitty OP 6.

Tatsuya has Deskbots :hmm

Sawatari was actually Akaba Reiji the whole time.

X

My fucking sides :skully

Hippos are back...and it can smell action cards?

Did Hikage really jump in just for that one moment?

Why does Himika give a fuck about Reira now? She knows about what he did? He/She/It is just an ugly baby now, why does it need to smile?

Yuya sure got nerfed to BOS levels.

16. DVD Moderator Moderator

They really should have. The dude made it seem like a jet was about to crash into the crowd just so he could make an epic entrance. Every scene with him BTFO's my sides.:trinny

17. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

He fucking made a space elevator and space station merely to reassemble the Millennium Puzzle and also built a machine to literally insert himself in the afterlife to challenge Atem :skully

18. DVD Moderator Moderator

Shadi really is the beginning and ending of everything isn't he?:catskully

Overall the movie was great. Can't wait for the subbed version but the dub was pretty great too. Humor was on point and try as I might you can't fight nostalgia. Also every Kaiba scene was fucking fantastic and even more over the top than the last. Absolutely the best part of the movie. Atem showing up one last time, and especially Kaiba's ending scene was just the perfect end.

I literally just saw the ending scene and damn near shat myself. He literally scienced himself into a magic afterlife just so he could have his duel. That fucking determination. Seto fucking Kaiba I swear. How can one character be so based?:bury

19. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

Overall the issues I had with the movie dragged it down, but solely looking at Kaiba's story alone it was pretty amazing.

Eric Stuart does such a damn good job with Kaiba.

20. Linkofone Active Member

It is 4kids, does visual cues and script really matter? Everyone was already being affected by the ring when it showed up.
    I still doubt that it was technology that was protecting him.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Since this movie is canon to the 4kids anime now, it is assumed that Kaiba came back from the afterlife. Because GX.

21. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

Except he was the only one wearing tech like that so there's no issues there. If you want to go by it being said in the 4kids movie only then that's fine for now, but we're talking about this version of the movie atm so that doesn't change anything.

I think he won, but they'd never actually show Kaiba beating a "Yugi".

22. KingofNone A leader with no followers

The cube thing lets hm go to the afterlife without killing himself. Well that's what've read at least.

23. Onyx Darkmatter Giant Sexy Mermaid

Who would've thought you can turn a previously-known terrible card into an enormous beater that not even Utopia the Lightning can get over? I'm talking about the Tyrant Neptune + Independent Nightingale where Tyrant Neptune becomes 6k, unaffected by card effects, and even burns for 5k per turn.

24. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

Yusaku's monster heavily reminds me of a buffed-up version of Sparkman. :hm

26. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

It kind of looks like Junk Warrior + Buster Blader but toned down as well.

27. Utopia Realm An immortal Wu.

Just tested this combo with a throw together build on DevPro. Good lord, Tyrant actually can be a threat. Instant Fusion + Tyrant Neptune = Pain.:geg

28. Onyx Darkmatter Giant Sexy Mermaid

And the scary part is that if you have a Kaiju on your field, your opponent can't tribute the fuck over Neptune, which limits the options.
    The only known cards that can deal with Neptune are Honest, Kaijus, and Crystal Wing. :catprone

29. DVD Moderator Moderator

Virtual Reality is an easy enough premise, but I'm not holding out hope for VRains to be good. How they managed to fuck over ARC-V doesn't really inspire much hope.:cattired

HA NA SE.:trinny

30. Hachibi Well-Known Member

31. Xiammes mooderator Super Moderator

>no defense

Konami!

32. Hachibi Well-Known Member

Tbh it doesn't matter since Link Monsters are unaffected by effect that change them to defense position nor can they change battle position at all. :catroll

33. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

What the fuck are those new extra deck card restrictions? Are stuff like D/Ds impossible to play now?

34. Hachibi Well-Known Member

Yes, unless you use Link monsters, you can only have one Fusion/Synchro/Xyz on the field if I'm not mistaken :defeat

35. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

Who the fuck thought this was a good idea? I know we've had some terrible spam decks, but what about all of the good ones?

Also Pendulum Zones don't even get their own slot anymore.

36. Hachibi Well-Known Member

Also, unless it's a mistranslation, we get a new Type in the form of Cybers

37. Hachibi Well-Known Member

Also, if anyone missed it, Pendulum Zone is now among the normal S/T Zone (ie you still have 5 S/T Zone but Pendulum now occupy two of them (if you play them))

Which means that if you're a Pendulum player, you only got access to 3 S/T since two of them would be filled by Pendulum monsters :catprone

38. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

Are they just trying to cripple everything that's come before?

39. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  40. Hachibi Well-Known Member

Unfortunaly, Sawatari lacks the donuts :macatroni

41. Linkofone Active Member

Well, Konami certainly slowed the game down quite a bit with these new changes.

42. DVD Moderator Moderator

So lemme get this straight: if your deck revolves around the extra deck, you're gonna have to cripple it by including and playing with those new link monsters, otherwise you can only use one extra deck monster at a time? Fuck is this shit?:nonon

Guess that's it for Synchro solitaire. They better expand extra deck space from 15 to 20 to accommodate that shit, but even then so many decks are now cucked.:defeat

43. Linkofone Active Member

Again, thank you Konami for slowing down the meta game. :nonon

44. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

Killing D/D was not the answer. It is not and never will be.

45. Onyx Darkmatter Giant Sexy Mermaid

:catflip

So uh... it took me a while to get the concept of the new mechanic, and now majority of the decks are dead. Holy fucking shit...

46. Linkofone Active Member

It slows down Zoo. That's what matters. :^)

47. Onyx Darkmatter Giant Sexy Mermaid

Yeah, but the game is now completely changed thanks to the new rulings.

So what now, I can only summon 1 Extra Deck monster per turn? I still haven't grasped the entire concept of the new rulings or the Summon Mechanic (I just know that its summon conditions are like Fusions/Synchro so far, and that they can never be facedown or in defense position).

48. Zern227 Slifer Slacker

Link your mistaking killing the meta game for slowing it down. Ritual becomes new meta.

49. Utopia Realm An immortal Wu.

R4NK toolbox decks are now brought to a crawl, anybody utilizing Heroes now brought to crawl and Fluffals as well. Synchro Decks trying to bring out those 12* dragon synchros now slow down. I figured they would just banhammer and limit shit that get's too OP for 2/3 copies and some slight rule changes but it seems they want to make every Meta deck and solid toolbox Extra Deck Monster restricted and forced to jump some hoops to becoem viable...

50. Onyx Darkmatter Giant Sexy Mermaid

Welp, time to return playing some Fire Kings. At least I know the deck is still viable and powerful. :cat