1. The Konoha Kennel is back! As a subsection to the Chatterbox, discuss your favorite fauna-related topics at a fun and laid-back pace. From animals to zoos, it's your one-stop destination for critter lovers!

Worst

Discussion in 'Akihabara Library' started by Sasori, Jun 26, 2006.

1. LoktarOgar Delinquent-Manga d00d

Then you are wrong.

2. Furious George In the Monkey Business

Elaborate please.

3. HInch all-around bastard

This conversation has gotten stale, despite the women in it.

4. Furious George In the Monkey Business

Long-Winded, Pretentious Reviews
    by Sweet Cyckness

X

So I read through Worst recently and have to say that overall I am very satisfied with it. This series lacks any real meaningful contact with females and you’ll be surprised at how little that actually matters.

First, the artwork is really good all around, from the character designs to the backgrounds. The clothing the characters wear is so detailed and well realized that, for the first time in my life, I became jealous of an animated character’s wardrobe (Hana’s black two-piece with the tiger designs on the inner part of the jacket was boss. :datass)! The facial features/hairstyle of the characters leaves something to be desired in the variety department. More than once you’re going to mistake a character for someone else. It’s sort of understandable because in the real world a group of kids from a people as homogenous as the Japanese just aren’t going to look that different from one another. Plus, the dialogue bubbles are pretty good with letting us know who is who. It’s not silky-smooth execution but it gets the job done. At the end of the day the artwork is able to convey so much from just one dark scowl from Guriko and there isn’t much else you can ask from a mangaka.

Characterization in a realistic series like this is very important because, unlike a series like One Piece, the character design and style can’t supplement that much. Luckily Worst more or less delivers in this area too. You’ll have personality-types that are similar (Takumi and Renji) but there’s always something that makes each of the main characters unique. The dialogue is always engaging and the humor almost always works.

The fights, of course, are what really make this series worthwhile. In a word, they are awesome… the sense of impact is incredibly realized and you can practically feel how hard a punch is going to land from a “wind-up” panel. Speaking of panels, the arrangements of some of them before and during the fights are at times brilliant. I recall a group of panels during the Suzuran vs. Housen war where Hana punches a guy out all serious-faced in one panel and then, in the very next panel, we get s first-person perspective shot of the guy falling. Hana is seen with a smile on his face and throwing up a peace sign as he falls. Scenes like that are what make the series what it is.

The plot, unfortunately, is where I have the biggest problems. The arcs are generally what you’d expect from a series centered on high school gangs… turf wars, alliances, etc. Nothing much deeper than that. I get it. My issue though is that resolutions in Worst come way too easily and the conflict barely registers at all at times. Characters get hospitalized but you never really see it, evil guy’s plot are just kind of foiled with no real skill and there is hardly a sense of consequence to anything. Take for instance Takumi joining T.F.O.A… Hana responded as you would guess he would but Renji and Sakota just sort of accept it (after maybe two panels of whining about it). THIS was a perfect opportunity to really shake things up with the feelings of betrayal and the mistrust and what not. Instead it was just sort of glossed over. Moments like that make me think that Worst would have been better as a seinen then a shounen. Then they wouldn’t have to be bothered about getting too heavy with the subject matter… because it at times feels to me like Hiroshi Takahashi is holding back. That being said, Hiroshi again shows his skills with panel arrangement in the pacing of the plot. You never feel like there is a single panel that was wasted or cumbersome. This guy could have been a film editor.

Worst, in a nutshell, is pure hood. The characters are interesting, the world is cool and fluid and the battles addictive. You can find a better plot elsewhere but what is here is more than enough to keep you coming back. WORST? Pfft…. More like BEST! (yeah. that just happened.)

5. Fang Titan

Speaking of delinquent mangas, is anyone else reading Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru?

6. HInch all-around bastard

I am now!

Blah blah character minimum.

7. Fang Titan

I caught up recently myself. Its improved a lot.

8. Furious George In the Monkey Business

I'm gonna see about Crows soon I think.

9. HInch all-around bastard

You're doing it in the wrong order (just like I did!) but yes, Crows is a must. The Worst Gaiden is also a good piece to get your teeth into. Wait until after Crows though.

10. HInch all-around bastard

Loving the small homages paid to Genki Sudo in this. [/tryingnottoderail]

11. Sasori <font color="#8B0000">● GB Genius ●</font>

The story is great, and the way the plot is written into it is better in this manga than I have ever seen or read in any fiction.

There is no dull moments in Worst and no irrelevent parts. Everything either adds to the story, the background, or the characters.

Cyckness did you read the Tesshou arc? No way can you read that and say the plot isn't good.

12. Handsome Yak smooching with ghosts Advisor

Used to, for years. Gets really great later on, both art-wise and story-wise but that really isn't till events hit the 20s volumes. There's currently 41 volumes out.

13. Fang Titan

Well I read up to chapter 93, where is that in the volumes?

14. Furious George In the Monkey Business

Yeah, I read it. I think its the one exception to my point about the sense of consequence being almost non-existent.... and only barely.

And I don't think that the plot is bad or anything. I only think that it is the weakest part of the series.

15. Handsome Yak smooching with ghosts Advisor

Puah, good question. Seven or eight perhaps? Anyway, you have still a long way to go. Gets really good once they go with their global careers. It kicks off before that already but once they all go global it really really gets good. At least that's a sports manga for martial arts that is done properly instead of Hajime no Shitpoo.

16. HInch all-around bastard

So we don't ruin my favourite thread with the clutter of another manga, here's a new topic for it. X

17. Ceria Chessie System

Worst is the only content that belongs in here, and crows by relation. Other mangas do not exist here.

18. Alpha Banned

@HInch you're signature amazing.

The Silent Tank TFOA is the most badass guy ever.

I love reading Worst and marvelling how it doesn't have any female leads but it is still amazing, that is a great author.

19. Sasori <font color="#8B0000">● GB Genius ●</font>

Don't need females when you can fap to Shougo.

20. Alpha Banned

Hahahaha hilarious not gonna say I have ever fapped over worst but not saying I never will LOL.

I wonder if we are ever gonna meet a proper female character thanks to Gurikos exploits and conquests.

21. Sasori <font color="#8B0000">● GB Genius ●</font>

I'd be too busy masturbating over Guriko's demon staff to notice the chicks he's ploughing.

22. Alpha Banned

Amazing, don't even know if you are a guy or a girl but think its amazing!

I need more worst, do you know anything about future releases.

23. Ceria Chessie System

Does whether or not he's a guy or girl really matter, either sex can like this manga. :hurr

24. Sasori <font color="#8B0000">● GB Genius ●</font>

I'm a 16 year old Japanese school girl with DD tits.

Oh did I mention I'm shaved and uncensored?

25. HInch all-around bastard

PREPARE THE TENTACLES GENTLEMEN.

26. Handsome Yak smooching with ghosts Advisor

You're making me moist :hurr

27. Darth Nihilus Super Saiyan Black

:lmao:lmao

28. Ceria Chessie System

I'm curious as to where people can obtain censoring. Is it something that can be purchased from a convenience store, or a thrift store... but who would want used censoring... :arg

I request visual confirmation of tits before i can formally address you as a female.

29. LoktarOgar Delinquent-Manga d00d

Ooh, ooh, I do.

30. LoktarOgar Delinquent-Manga d00d

31. HInch all-around bastard

Downloading. Will report back tomorrow.

Cheers man.

32. HInch all-around bastard

I'm halfway through the Gaiden. (I can only read it at work as it sucks on a netbook.) So far lovin' it.

Speaking of, my work wallpaper:

Spoiler:
    X

Actually this is giving me ideas for a set.

EDIT:

Finished the Gaiden. I rule that it is a must read as it was fantastic. I'd say better than the Worst Gaiden as a standalone piece and also great for storyline gaps.

READ IT YOU MONSTERS.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  33. LoktarOgar Delinquent-Manga d00d

34. Handsome Yak smooching with ghosts Advisor

That's the Crows-Gaiden in the link.

35. LoktarOgar Delinquent-Manga d00d

Whatever it takes to get people to read it man.

36. HInch all-around bastard

Love it. /10char

37. Sasori <font color="#8B0000">● GB Genius ●</font>

:lmao

Pretty cool Gaiden.

I really liked Banchou's one and the TFOA (obviously), because it paints him in a completely different light. In fact it really fit in with the Crows Zero Bandou.

Also, it just makes me wonder more about where the older TFOA generation are and do they keep up to date on the current TFOA affairs. I mean, especially with the whole Hideomi era, how did the 1st gen not intefere or were they completely unaware?

That's one thing I don't really understand about the TFOA, it's like after you hand down the reigns to the next generation, the members seems to just vanish and play no more part in the TFOA.

The only time I've seen evidence that the older generations do have some contact to the current TFOA, is when they turned up to Kamina's funeral.

38. Furious George In the Monkey Business

This is random but I recommend reading Worst/Crows while playing this track

A man can, in fact, go through puberty twice. I know that now.

39. HInch all-around bastard

I see graduation from the TFOA as similar to graduating from Suzuran. You cut ties with your childhood and go on to make a life as a man. Once they retire, they do not become involved again as those experiences are to be lived by the next generation, however it turns out. The tasks are so the next generation can live and experience them before they too graduate.

40. Sasori <font color="#8B0000">● GB Genius ●</font>

Yea that's what I thought too, but there should be an element of eternal loyalty and membership to the crew. "Once TFOA, always TFOA".

And wouldn't they be concerned if their beloved TFOA became corrupted and the name tarnished. Just like in the Crows era?

41. LoktarOgar Delinquent-Manga d00d

I doubt it. That lesson has been learned.

42. HInch all-around bastard

Yeah, there's definitely an "always TFOA" feeling there. Even in the face of corruption etc. though, I can't see past members coming back to help. It really shows a strong "the current regime has the power to change" motif. If the current regiment can't fix it, is the TFOA strong enough anyway?

43. Sasori <font color="#8B0000">● GB Genius ●</font>

Just wish we could get a gaiden where we read 500 chapters of the ex-TFOA members working 9-5 in an office.

I'd read that :maybe

44. Agmaster Master of Silver

You cheer at the crushing of a man's spirit? Sad. How much longer is left in Worst. I was at 99 and then fell behind. Think I'll let it finish out.

45. Fang Titan

In slightly related news, BADBOYS, is getting a movie adaption and a certain actor or two from Drop and Crows Zero I/II are staring in it.

46. LoktarOgar Delinquent-Manga d00d

Volume 27 chapter 108: X

47. Bubyrd Ratcatcher absolute Jushin

48. Darth Nihilus Super Saiyan Black

49. Ceria Chessie System

HOLY FUCKING FUCK THE FUCK YES!!!

I hope Hana enjoyed flying Air Guriko :gar

50. reggiefarnogg Banned

tfoa story sux i wish it was just about hanagumi