1. The NF rules of conduct have been updated in response to the Xenforo upgrade. Please review them here.
  2. Please discuss and vote on the fate of the reputation system here.
  3. The forum medals contest is being extended for another month. Check this thread for more information.

Will PK/Yonkou Luffy still pull stunts like him vs Monet?

Discussion in 'Ohara Library' started by Green Monkey, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Green Monkey Ben Wallace's Shoe Shiner

What I mean by this is, do you guys still think that even when Luffy is at his peak physical strength, that he will be bogged down by enemies a shit ton weaker than him. For example, could you see EOS Luffy having to run away from some VA with a hax fruit simply because he was acting too stupid at the start of the fight to defend himself? (IE, Monet) I hope Luffy at some point takes Zoro's advice to heart...permanently, but retains his lackadaisical attitude, except when he is fighting.

2. shit it's what you do

I think you're over-stating the monet shit

who starts out all serious and going all out against some hot chick?

3. Green Monkey Ben Wallace's Shoe Shiner

I don't think it can be overstated enough...IIRC there hasn't been any other situation where someone so much stronger than someone got so thoroughly raped, even if he wasn't trying at all. Monet may be pretty, but if Luffy had 2 brain cells to rub together he should have gotten the idea that she wasn't a total weakling since she volunteered to fight in Caesar's place, and was confident she could hold him off for a while.

I get your point though, but I think if you took Zoro, or Sanji without his sexism, neither would look as badly as Luffy did in that scenario simply because they don't fool around as much.

4. Senjou tfw you're waifu loves me

So basically, you want to change Luffy's character? :lmao

It's more like thats just how Luffy is. It's like how shanks was right? He doesn't see reason to take things so seriously right away. I guess it goes with age and experience though. After a couple years he will change to be a bit more serious about battle but not drastically

5. Green Monkey Ben Wallace's Shoe Shiner

Luffy is an evolving character...I do want to change him..in a small way, but I don't think that is a bad thing. Characters are supposed to change over the course of a story, and Luffy taking battles a hint more serious while maintaining his other areas of idiocy wouldn't really change anything significant story wise...other than chapters not being wasted on Luffy half assing it against weakling opponents. Like you said at the end...that is what I am asking. Not if he is going to change his entire personality, but if he will make the minor adjustment of not leaving himself so completely open.

Not to mention this change has been foreshadowed by Zoro as I mentioned...it just seems as if Luffy let it go in one ear and out the other.

6. Pastelduck Tower of God rocks!

I don't think Luffy is going to change as much as you wanted him to.

7. TrainerRed dont care

Its not in Luffy's nature to go full beserk on any character unless they show themselves an immediate threat to his nakama or allies. Luffy could've easily pounded Franky in their first encounter in Water 7 but Luffy isn't one to Elephant Gun a near-fodder character like Monet.

8. Senjou tfw you're waifu loves me

Tbh all that you're saying is what I wanted when I first started the series but that changed. Apparently, its what makes someone badass in a sense. However, badass doesn't define Luffy, Luffy defines badass is basically the goal of Luffy's character imo. Take everything lightly, and then when shit gets real, luffy has some sort of stimulus of some sort that gets him going :lmao

9. Green Monkey Ben Wallace's Shoe Shiner

I feel you, but I guess the best way to say it is that Luffy doesn't seem to know when things are serious...Monet blocking him from Caesar is about as serious of a situation as you can get...Caesar was planning on killing everyone inside the building, including the SH's, once he got away from Luffy. Of course due to manga awesomeness it didn't happen...but logically, Luffy deciding to go easy on Monet likely would have cost nearly everyone inside that facilities life.

I have always been slightly annoyed when Luffy acts dumb in situations that aren't comic relief (fights basically). Most people seem to love it though so I guess I'm alone. It just seems counterproductive, and as if Luffy is getting less and less badass when he should be getting more so.

What would make Luffy badass to me is not if he went full throttle from the start...but he at least, like Zoro, defended himself so that when he's not going full throttle he at least doesn't look like an idiot.

10. Heretic Active Member

Yeah he will. He's just gonna be so much stronger that its harder to do to him, so it'll be like a stronger Monet variant who can pull that off.

11. Pacifista PX Project

At such a point, I don't think it can be done. I mean, that'd just be completely asanine. Pirate King Luffy treated like a punk? Please, no. Oh please for the love of his hat no.

12. CandyCocaine Crack Head.

I like that word, I'm going to use it now.

Luffy ain't no punk. He's just a goofy guy

13. PureWIN Mr. Prince

I'd love to see Luffy still get punked like he does now, but his reaction change:

Current: "Oh no! :wth"

Later: "Oh no....:distracted"

That would be great.

14. tupadre97 Active Member

No... he's gonna learn his lesson real soon with these next 2 arcs and after that he should be more serious at least in battle.

15. EndlessStrategy The Wandering Tactician

He already knows what happens when you're weak. Why shouldn't he already know what happens when you're careless? If he hasn't learned by now, I doubt he ever will.

16. Marcelle.B Yuh Dun Know Moderator

17. Renegade Knight Not Dead

Don't really understand why some folks make such a big deal about Luffy's conflict with Monet. Especially when it was all so that Luffy could find Momonosuke.

Monet grabs Luffy.
    He gets sleepy.
    He gets out of it fairly easy.
    He breaks a hole in the ground to escape.
    He falls into the basement.
    He finds Momo.

It's just simple PIS.

18. EndlessStrategy The Wandering Tactician

Because it was such an obvious plot contrivance. I'm sure that Oda could have come up with a way to introduce Momonosuke without making Monet seem Heaven and Earth above how strong she actually is. It made Luffy seem weak. It's the worst power portrayal in the entire manga, and it made her subsequent fight with Zoro extremely disappointing. That's why people make such a big deal about it.

19. Renegade Knight Not Dead

Did you miss the part where I said he got out of it fairly easily after she hugged him?
    She didn't even injure him. It's the fans that hyped her up so much.

20. EndlessStrategy The Wandering Tactician

It doesn't matter that he got out of the bind easily. That just means that he can break through floors. The scene seemed to imply that Luffy was escaping because he simply couldn't handle her. She could make Snow Huts faster than he could break them, and she was fast enough to bind him before he could react to her presence. If Monet had taken the time to reinforce the floor, it seemed like Luffy would have lost. That's not the sign of a drastically weaker opponent. It's the sign of your equal, at least.

21. Impact Grimm

Nah I'm sure people will still be punkin luffy just like Monet did after he becomes PK :distracted

22. Whimsy .

I can definitely see him falling down holes and stuff, I doubt he'll change that much.

23. Coruscation Active Member

At this point I have absolutely no hopes that Luffy will ever stop doing this kind of thing. In this arc, Oda explicitly called attention to it, after it happened in an extremely embarassing way, and then had it happen again anyway only a few chapters later. So as far as I'm concerned he's never going to stop. Apparently Luffy getting stronger doesn't mean anything to Oda about how easily he can be taken out by chumps.

24. Louis-954 http://www.kolektakon.com/

EOS Luffy should be able to brute force down anyone who isn't on his level or close to it. As for the Monet incident; I don't think Luffy was being reckless or stupid. She cornered him and he was left without anywhere to escape to but down and that would have been that right move had the fall not been into a garbage shoot. I don't think Monet showcasing her skill and expertise is a point against Luffy. Had the fight not ended there Luffy would have taken her out with minimal effort and then busted out of the Kamakurax10.

25. Black Mirror ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=( ͠? ͟ʖ ͡?)=ε/̵͇̿̿

Monet at no moment was a threat to Luffy, so it will happen later as well.

He pbbly inherited this from Garp: the weaker the enemy, the less serious you are:
    Spoiler:
    X
    X

26. Canute87 Nuke Imminent

I'm sure luffy will get smarter as time goes on as he experiences more battles.

I still don't understand why people think luffy would have gotten so much smarter during the time skip when most of his time was spent learning haki and fighting monsters.

27. Remyx Banned

He probably will.

28. korican04 ftp-nin

Garp is as experienced as they come and is still as stupid and careless as luffy is now. That is luffy's fate super strong and super silly when faced with lesser opponents. Luffy will only get serious when there's a real threat like Garp does.

29. Nova Member

Can't see him taking fights serious except with strong oppoents