1. Fancy yourself a sleuth, evil mastermind, debating pro, and/or just plain love One Punch Man? If so, sign up for Akihabara Lounge's first Mafia game, themed on One Punch Man.

LINK
  2. Hey you

Yeah you!

Have you always wanted to impress Gordon Ramsey with your culinary skills?

Well you can't...

But you can impress the NF community by joining the Cooking Contest in the Bento Box!

And we promise we won't make you cry like him.
  3. Celebrate our first Xenforo anniversary and join the forum lottery here
  4. Check out "Peerless", by our very own Shrooms!

What your opinion about Ichigo Kurosaki as Protagonist ?

Discussion in 'Akihabara Lounge' started by saint rider 890, Apr 10, 2017.

1. saint rider 890 Well-Known Member

So what your opinion about Ichigo as Protagonist ? Did you find him as one of best shonen protagonist or worst protagonist than Goku , Naruto , Luffy ?

2. Tom Servo Pants Pants Pants Pants

He is infinitely better than those 3 that you listed.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  4. savior2005 Well-Known Member

bland and boring as fuck. pretty much like the characters u listed as well as most other shounen main characters.

5. Drake WORK MAKES YOU FREE

He was decent for a shonen protagonist. At the very least, he wasn't an annoying loudmouth spazz like Naruto and Luffy.

6. CrownedEagle Eillen Servant

He was a good protagonist at the beginning of the series until the Arrancar Arc, a hot heated, cool and emo guy with a good design and without stupidity unlike the Luffy or Goku … But after it became a little bit boring and bland with screentime equal to side characters.

I still choose it over the cited protagonists.

7. Seto Kaiba God Hand Crusher

interesting and had potential at first, but quickly became stale and flat.

8. Seraphiel S A D B O Y S

Horrible character, never had anything interesting going for him and never evolved. Serves as an example of Kubo's shit tier writing.

9. Clowe ''The Gaze into the Sun''

At the very least not a generic loudmouth glutton like the ones listed.

10. Kiba's Slut Boy World's #1 Kiba Inuzuka Fanboy

He seemed edgy and cool at first.....then I realised how bland and stale the character was. didn't seem to have a goal of his own.

The MC is probably the main reason I dropped Bleach so early.

11. Shiki 空の境界

He got turned into another generic shounen mc, sadly. He still wasn't as annoying as Naruto and Luffy though.

12. Blade Well-Known Member

Ichigo was a fail version of Yusuke from YYH

although, in the early Bleach arcs he was average, after Soul Society he became bland and boring as fuck

13. God Is extremely merciful for the right price

Goku is an icon, never associate him with these shits again.

14. Akira1993 Well-Known Member

15. Asura 大神 observer

I've studied Bleach, and other works of art, a long, long time. Many years spent analyzing characters, settings, diction, themes, and every other possible thing under the sun. As a writer, characters have always been very important to me for a number of reasons. One of those reasons is the special way a good story relies on characters, especially the protagonist.

Because of this, I've taken special care to rest my gaze upon the protagonists of many a manga/anime/etc. I've seen protagonists so good that they carried the entire manga, the weak story unable to carry itself. I've also seen protagonists so terrible that the manga was literally better without them. This time the powerful story merely drags the corpse of the protagonist behind him, hoping no one will notice.
    But back to the subject at hand...........

My judgment of the protagonist Kurosaki Ichigo is as follows:

He is a great protagonist for a large chunk of Bleach. Perhaps a larger chunk than one would think. As you know, Bleach's quality took a dive after a certain point. We will be discussing the large chunk of good storytelling, art, and character expression beforehand.

For me to go into detail as to why this is the case would require a fucking huge analysis around 200 pages. God knows I don't have the time or energy for that at the moment. I'll give a couple of simplified examples, though.

Ichigo's importance to the manga, as well as his evolution as a character and protag, has moments where it is beautifully executed. In the beginning, we went through so much growth with this stubborn kid. We were there when he acted like a spoiled brat. We were there when he had to deal with terrible guilt and even worse fear. His character and evolution went hand in hand with an engaging story crowned with poetry and grounded with deep concepts such as the nature of justice.

Kubo's excellent artwork and intimate storytelling makes it easy for the reader to feel as if they have personally experienced these events with Ichigo. This made unforgettable scenes, like him saving Rukia, all the more powerful. That knitted brow and angry frown being replaced by a serene smile of maturity and almost godlike glory was a tear-inducing moment.

I see a lot of people dislike Ichigo's "emo" phase. It's disappointing because that heavy bout of depression was also well done. It highlighted his humanity and deepened certain character traits and concepts. To watch this protagonist go from glorious highs to emotionally damaging lows is beautiful. It is powerful to the point that it temporarily stains his world as well as our personal interpretation. Ichigo has a way of doing this. Changing the color of a world.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017 at 11:42 PM
  16. Ignition Ignited Dancehall

He was pretty much forced into the MC role without any concrete goals or motivations, I can hardly recall any good philosophical and meaningful dialogue coming from his mouth.

Stoic and bland is what pretty much defines him, not that the other shonen protagonists weren't as bad, but at least they had energy and charisma.