1. Fancy yourself a sleuth, evil mastermind, debating pro, and/or just plain love One Punch Man? If so, sign up for Akihabara Lounge's first Mafia game, themed on One Punch Man.

LINK

2. The latest NF Newsletter is out (July), read it here
  3. Summer Glow
    The HoU Banner Contest this time is centered on Summer time.
    The deadline is until July 23rd and you only have to click here to go straight to the information you need.

4. Ladies and gents, the Tech Hub has been archived! Any tech-related questions can go in KCC now, and make sure to use the new [Tech] tag!

What your opinion about Ichigo Kurosaki as Protagonist ?

Discussion in 'Akihabara Lounge' started by saint rider 890, Apr 10, 2017.

1. saint rider 890 Well-Known Member

So what your opinion about Ichigo as Protagonist ? Did you find him as one of best shonen protagonist or worst protagonist than Goku , Naruto , Luffy ?

2. Tom Servo Pants Pants Pants Pants

He is infinitely better than those 3 that you listed.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  4. savior2005 Well-Known Member

bland and boring as fuck. pretty much like the characters u listed as well as most other shounen main characters.

5. Drake WORK MAKES YOU FREE

He was decent for a shonen protagonist. At the very least, he wasn't an annoying loudmouth spazz like Naruto and Luffy.

6. CrownedEagle Knight of Erza

He was a good protagonist at the beginning of the series until the Arrancar Arc, a hot heated, cool and emo guy with a good design and without stupidity unlike the Luffy or Goku … But after it became a little bit boring and bland with screentime equal to side characters.

I still choose it over the cited protagonists.

7. Seto Kaiba God Hand Crusher

interesting and had potential at first, but quickly became stale and flat.

8. Seraphiel Eastern European Sex Genocide

Horrible character, never had anything interesting going for him and never evolved. Serves as an example of Kubo's shit tier writing.

9. Clowe ''The Gaze into the Sun''

At the very least not a generic loudmouth glutton like the ones listed.

10. Kiba's Slut Boy World's #1 Kiba Inuzuka Fanboy

He seemed edgy and cool at first.....then I realised how bland and stale the character was. didn't seem to have a goal of his own.

The MC is probably the main reason I dropped Bleach so early.

11. Shiki

He got turned into another generic shounen mc, sadly. He still wasn't as annoying as Naruto and Luffy though.

12. Blade Well-Known Member

Ichigo was a fail version of Yusuke from YYH

although, in the early Bleach arcs he was average, after Soul Society he became bland and boring as fuck

13. God Qayamat ke din ka malik

Goku is an icon, never associate him with these shits again.

14. Akira1993 Well-Known Member

15. Asura 大神 observer

I've studied Bleach, and other works of art, a long, long time. Many years spent analyzing characters, settings, diction, themes, and every other possible thing under the sun. As a writer, characters have always been very important to me for a number of reasons. One of those reasons is the special way a good story relies on characters, especially the protagonist.

Because of this, I've taken special care to rest my gaze upon the protagonists of many a manga/anime/etc. I've seen protagonists so good that they carried the entire manga, the weak story unable to carry itself. I've also seen protagonists so terrible that the manga was literally better without them. This time the powerful story merely drags the corpse of the protagonist behind him, hoping no one will notice.
    But back to the subject at hand...........

My judgment of the protagonist Kurosaki Ichigo is as follows:

He is a great protagonist for a large chunk of Bleach. Perhaps a larger chunk than one would think. As you know, Bleach's quality took a dive after a certain point. We will be discussing the large chunk of good storytelling, art, and character expression beforehand.

For me to go into detail as to why this is the case would require a fucking huge analysis around 200 pages. God knows I don't have the time or energy for that at the moment. I'll give a couple of simplified examples, though.

Ichigo's importance to the manga, as well as his evolution as a character and protag, has moments where it is beautifully executed. In the beginning, we went through so much growth with this stubborn kid. We were there when he acted like a spoiled brat. We were there when he had to deal with terrible guilt and even worse fear. His character and evolution went hand in hand with an engaging story crowned with poetry and grounded with deep concepts such as the nature of justice.

Kubo's excellent artwork and intimate storytelling makes it easy for the reader to feel as if they have personally experienced these events with Ichigo. This made unforgettable scenes, like him saving Rukia, all the more powerful. That knitted brow and angry frown being replaced by a serene smile of maturity and almost godlike glory was a tear-inducing moment.

I see a lot of people dislike Ichigo's "emo" phase. It's disappointing because that heavy bout of depression was also well done. It highlighted his humanity and deepened certain character traits and concepts. To watch this protagonist go from glorious highs to emotionally damaging lows is beautiful. It is powerful to the point that it temporarily stains his world as well as our personal interpretation. Ichigo has a way of doing this. Changing the color of a world.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Ignition Casebook of Luck, Resilience and Perseverance

He was pretty much forced into the MC role without any concrete goals or motivations, I can hardly recall any good philosophical and meaningful dialogue coming from his mouth.

Stoic and bland is what pretty much defines him, not that the other shonen protagonists weren't as bad, but at least they had energy and charisma.

17. Tom Servo Pants Pants Pants Pants

18. God Qayamat ke din ka malik

Wut

19. Esdese Well-Known Member

I'm a pretty big critic of Bleach - a statement that means nothing because so is everyone else- but one of my biggest criticisms is Ichigo. Overrall, I thought he was just okay. I never thought he was particularly compelling and his fights, while probably some of the best in the series, are not aided well by the fact that his unique powers are generally underwhelming. I love a good Getsuga like the next guy but I've always wanted to see a little more from the Hollow, Quincy, Shinigami, Fullbringer hybrid. Maybe I'm still salty about the lack of flashiness of Ichigo's real Tensa Zangetsu (I am), but...

Ichigo is actually a great heroic character. He stands for something way deeper and real than most Shonen protagonists do, and it isn't the "Power of Friendship." I'm not saying the "Power of Friendship" theme Shonen's usually have is lame -but, let's be real, its tired and overused. And lame.

No, Ichigo's character is great because he stands for the idea of rolling with the punches, and turning grief into something positive. I'm not saying its the most unique idea, but it is a slightly fresher one. If you think about all of the stuff that's happened to Ichigo, its easy to realize that the general theme of Ichigo's character is "Bad Shit Happens to Ichigo and Ichigo is Generally Powerless to Stop It." Yes, Ichigo made the initial choice to become a Shnigami by taking on Rukia's powers, but given Ichigo's lineage, it seems like this was destined to happen no matter what.

And on the point of destiny, Ichigo's fate at the outset looked terrible. His mom was basically infected with a special Hollow Alien-style, and she also happened to be carrying the bloodline of a magical bow-wielding Nazi. His dad was the member of a morally dubious government who's general philosophy on keeping the world safe is keeping a dude locked away in a crystal. Not good. And yet, in the last arc, we see Ichigo coming to terms with these things. Its what allows him to reforge his swords and embrace his Shinigamihood. We're talking about terrible outside forces capable of massive destruction that Ichigo initially saw as separate from himself. Because they were. In all of his fights, Ichigo's struggle has always been an ethical one: "I need more power, and the only beings that can give it to me are an evil bastard who looks exactly like me and constantly threatens to kill me (Hichigo) or a lying bastard who is actually the avatar of an even eviler bastard who wants to kill me (OMZ). But in the "Blade is Me" chapters, Ichigo accepts that these things are actually part of him. Its not that Ichigo suddenly forgot the origins of White and Yhwach, its just that Ichigo was finally able to synthesize the idea that when horrible horrible burdens are put upon people and terrible things happen to them, they also become a part of you in a twisted way. Ichigo can't erase the past (sorry Tsukushima), but he can make the most of the evil lemons given to him and turn them into fresh lemonade. Initially, he was hampered by Hichigo and OMZ. But in accepting them as Zangetsu, and accepting Zangetsu as part of himself (even if Zangetsu is basically a shitstorm collage of Hollow experimentation and Quincy crazy) Ichigo is able to take terrible misfortune and make himself powerful, quite literally.

Ichigo is often criticized for having a general lack of motivation. And this is maybe somewhat true: he never seems to want anything aside from the general safety of his friends and to graduate high school with a normal life. But Ichigo is the ultimate reactionary character and its his very plainness that makes him relatable. Bleach shows that a good character doesn't need to be an Idiot Hero Orphan Who No One Likes At First That Eventually Charms Everyone Into Accepting Them As Their President (however deeply unqualified). Bleach shows that a good character isn't one who dramatically transforms over time so that you could point to a chart and say "wow, look at that character development!" Bleach shows that a good character however is a normal dude with normal aspirations who deals with very abnormal (and paranormal) painful things and still comes out on top. Ichigo is a hero because he fights for a stable way of life and he gets it in the end. He can never go back to the way things were, of course. But seeing that he's back in the same house, with his friends old and new (and kid!) next to him, after everything that has happened is an absolute triumph.

You judge a character by their story arc. their convictions, the trails and tribulations they go through- Ichigo is a great character. he's matured a lot since the start of the series he solved his inner turmoil, life mysteries and has learned to trust. it's been a wild ride here's what i can type from memory:

when we first meet ichigo he's this conflicted teenager whose in pain because he believes he killed his mother, gets in to fights all the time because of his hair, can see ghost and all he really wants to do is protect those close to him.

he takes a sword through the heart for the chance to protect his family then struggles with the consequences of that decision. he matures from shirking responsibility by only protecting his family and friends to taking responsibility to protect everyone he can.

then one of his friends life is put in danger because of him and he puts his life on the line training and fight to get her back. once he returns home he has to come to term with then overcome his inner hollow in an attempt to regain the strength to protect his friends only to have one friend taken yet again. he fights to get her back only to lose to his inner hollow.

he goes on to learn the difference between friends and allies, secrets about his family and sacrifices all his power to defeat the biggest threat to all that he wanted to protect.

only to realize that their are more threats out there. in his lust to regain the power to protect his friend he expose them to danger like never before, learns his friends in the soul society were not as good as he thought and culminates with him killing a person.

he's then forced to hear his friends dying while he's unable to help, his power proves insufficient, he learns his power has been lying to him all along and the truth about his family. And as a result of all his trials and tribulations he has become one of the most well developed and written characters in the demographic.

20. Gina

Catdank Faction:
    stfu sam :dank

21. Dannie The Lord Of Dreams

22. Tenma Peace through Tyranny

Enjoyable at first, but after SS it became increasingly obvious Kubo had no idea what to do with him. Didn't help he kept downplaying his likeable, gung-ho aspects and turned him into a whiny emo.

23. Passiopi New Member

Well obviously he was a shit character with boring powers, so I would say I consider him a terrible character.