1. Fancy yourself a sleuth, evil mastermind, debating pro, and/or just plain love One Punch Man? If so, sign up for Akihabara Lounge's first Mafia game, themed on One Punch Man.

LINK

2. The latest NF Newsletter is out (July), read it here
  3. Summer Glow
    The HoU Banner Contest this time is centered on Summer time.
    The deadline is until July 23rd and you only have to click here to go straight to the information you need.

4. Ladies and gents, the Tech Hub has been archived! Any tech-related questions can go in KCC now, and make sure to use the new [Tech] tag!

What was your first anime?

Discussion in 'Akihabara Lounge' started by Taylor, May 9, 2016.

1. Nimura Furuta R.I.P Donovan

Goodness, how old are you people?

2. JoJo Well-Known Member

3. Inuhanyou I am the bone of my Sword

When i was around 6 years old(in 95), my older sister rented some random anime from blockbuster cause she was into it at the time. I was really interested in it because it was like a cartoon, but different from anything i had seen before, it was violent and had some pretty shocking imagery(for reference, it was a few years yet from seeing anime on WB and other channels, and even longer from Toonami's launch).

It was taken back after the due date and i promptly forgot about it for years.

It was only MUCH later that i found out that it was the english dub of the OVA from Rumiko's "Mermaid's Scar" franchise.

I ended up watching the full anime series, OVA and reading the manga proper about 7 years ago, and it was DEFINITELY not a series for kids, but it actually held up really well as a series from a quality perspective. I'd really recommend it to anybody.

I wish she would go back to these types of serious mature stories and not whimsical shit like Rinne. Even Inuyasha was pretty dark and captivating early on before it became a repetitive parody of itself that didn't push many boundaries.

4. Bump Member

Monster Rancher

5. The Big Mumbo You

Sailor Moon after that, and then the usual Pokemon, DBZ, Digimon route.

6. CrownedEagle Knight of Erza

Pokemon, I think i was five at the time he funny because until 15 i considered this anime as a cartoons.

7. Imagine //\\

Gtfo shitty memer. You weren't even born back then.

8. Tom Servo Pants Pants Pants Pants

9. Stringer ◤ prƟsperity ◢

Grendizer, an anime far removed from my generation but I ate it up

10. The Mathemagician Headshot Productions

Urusei Yatsura. Been a fan of that series ever since. Ataru and Lum are the goat pairing. Been a fan of Rumiko since then. Though Maison Ikkoku was the goat tier story of hers.

11. Felt ベストガール Administrator

My first was probably Pokemon. I remember watching episode 1 on Saturday morning TV. But to me that just felt like a cartoon rather than knowing it was anime. Spirited away or another Ghibli is more likely the one.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  12. Sixpence None The Richer Oops

First anime I remember watching was Pokemon (or Digimon). I was quite perplexed at their popularity.
    First anime I ever liked was Naruto, then I got into Bleach and then I got into Dragon Ball Z. Then waaayyy later I got into One Piece. Then Yu Yu Hakusho. Then more classy stuff after.
    The first animes I ever heard of were Pokemon, Digimon, YuGiOh and Dragon Ball Z.

13. englishcivilwar New Member

Totoro and Spirited Away I watched nearly every day when I was really young.

The first anime I ever sat down and watched straight through AS an anime, though, was Zatch Bell. I think I was in 7th grade.

14. HisokaRollin Art is a blast!

Well i cant really count watching Pokemon once half a year (when my good old 90' TV was able to play chanel on which it was without the images barely visible) as watching first anime, cause it wasnt very much of watching.

So it would be Attack on titan 3 years ago :catskully after finishing Avatar series I wanted to watch something else animated so I got it from my friend along with whole season of The Walking Dead. I was a little shooked by that lol.

I remember thinking- why the fuck are they shouting so much? And then there came opening and my sister was like- oh yeah, its at the begining of every anime, it gets old honestly. But this opening totally blew us away. and after 5th episode i was in for life.

15. Anzujaama emotional baby girl

Pokemon, as with a lot of people. I never viewed it as anything other than a cartoon though, because I was so young. Once I realized what anime was, it was either Naruto/DBZ/One Piece on Toonami, not sure which came first. This was around 2002-2003, I believe.

16. [S-A-F] Cobraholic

Yeah pokemon was my first anime but it was DBZ that actually got me into anime.

17. NW Grade A Cuckold

Either Dragon Ball, Yu-Gi-Oh!, or Pokémon.

Out of those 3, DB's the only one I still give a shit about.

18. Divine Death The Atoner

19. Anzujaama emotional baby girl

20. Karyu Endan Smilies = Not serious

The anime I saw were Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z when they aired on YTV in 1999, but I got bored of Pokemon pretty quickly and dropped it partway into Johto (last thing I vividly remember from way back then was Ash beating Whitney), and TBH I remember more of DBZ's plot from playing video games like Budokai, so I'm not entirely sure I was really a "fan" of it when I first saw the anime. Maybe I was just too young.

I say this because the first anime I was really invested in were Digimon and Yugioh, with Beyblade shortly after. I loved those anime when I first saw them and they still to some degree have a place in my heart as a benchmark I judge other series by. Like, I'd seen Vegeta before him but Kai Hiwatari is the definitive rival character in my head. When I started watching Naruto my first impression of Sasuke wasn't "so he's like Vegeta", it was "so he's like Kai". That's the kind of effect Beyblade had on me. And I'm certain that Ken's character development in Digimon Adventure 02 played no small part in my fixation on atoners in general, leading me to follow series like Rurouni Kenshin and in a few ways, Code Geass. And do its part to inspire me to write Hawk's Final Hunt the way I did.

Granted, my opinion of the second Yugioh anime soured after I discovered the manga and how much said anime butchered it, but nonetheless I still have an interest in the franchise as a whole, even if I might not follow the newest anime (as of this writing, I've seen up to the halfway point of Zexal), and I keep up with the TCG semi-regularly. My profile image is even of a Yugioh monster (Horus the Black Flame Dragon LV8)! And the anime I grew up with became my go-to exemplar of how not to adapt a manga, so at least there's that.

I'm sure Dragon Ball Z would have made more of an impact on me if I was only a year or two older when I started watching it, when I was exposed to the aforementioned favourites.