1. The NF rules of conduct have been updated in response to the Xenforo upgrade. Please review them here.
  2. Please vote in the following contest threads: AOTW, Mirror, SOTW Mirror
  3. Please discuss and vote on the fate of the reputation system here.
  4. The forum medals contest is being extended for another month. Check this thread for more information.

What makes One Piece so good and popular?

Discussion in 'One Piece Harbour' started by Naruto-The-Great, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Naruto-The-Great Member

I was talking with my friend about animes and mangas. And she said she likes One piece the most. Ever since I saw a couple episodes of dubbed One Piece I always thought it was extremely stupid. But my friend always watched Naruto, all of the anime and manga chapters. Naruto is second best to her.

Anyways. What makes One Piece so good and popular? What makes it so it can compete with Naruto as an arguably as good or better of a show?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  2. mastercilander Unique Title

For me, it is because the characters develop like RPG characters. Their growth is gradual, but it is noticeable over time.

3. Naruto-The-Great Member

But thats not enough to make it anywhere near Naruto's greatness. What makes it so it can compete with Naruto as an arguably as good or better of a show?

4. Newbologist &#803

i like it because of the unpredictability of it, like for example duval, who could ever have guessed about him? also the storyline isnt reptitive like in naruto where all they seem to do is chase sasuke. In One Piece new enemies are constantly introduced and EVERY main character gets a chance to shine unlike other mangas where only a select few ever get the spotlight.

5. TargaryenX Number 6

Lets see, compared to Naruto, One Piece has much better characters, a better plot, better comedy, hell it even has better fillers. The one thing Naruto does better is action scenes, but Naruto's fights are freaking amazing, so that's not really a strike against OP. I'll echo what everyone is going to tell you, don't judge it by the english version, it's one of the worst hack-jobs that's ever been called a dub. Go download the batch torrents from kaizoku fansubs, if you don't like it by episode 50 or so, you won't like it, but if you like other shounen, I think you'll probably be hooked.

6. mykillbrian Level: Insane

here is my analysis:

Naruto is a more serious than One Piece that's why SOME people think OP is stupid. Im not saying OP is not serious though, there are also dramatic(sentimental) moments in OP too. On the other side, Naruto's comedy SUCKED big time. Most of its comedy focuses on pervertedness or naruto's stupidity.

In anime, most of 20+ mins. in Naruto is wasted in flashbacks and those f*cking DRAMATIC PAUSES while in naruto they spend most of the time in comedy. Its normal to waste some mins. there coz they have to maximize what happens in manga for that much time.

One of OP appeal also is it's like an RPG. it started out as luffy alone then he games more nakama while also leveling up gaining new powers and technique. Naruto on the other hand, its appeal right now is just knowing the mysteries of the akatsuki and rescuing sasuke w/c is getting old by now.

Its just my opinion, i'm open for any correction.

7. Eldritch get mad @ my poor tastes, nerd

Of course you think one piece is stupid. You watched the dub.

Naruto's characters are too sterotypical, and lack of feel and relation. Sasuke - classic emo boy. Naruto classic carefree boy that later turned emo. Lee the classic nerd. Sakura the classic damsel in distress. And so on. And one thing I hate about Naruto, is that it's always him teaching lessons and bull. It's always Naruto's right your wrong kind of shit.

8. StrawHat4Life Moderator

Op is a truly epic story set in a huge world with amazing characters and diverse locations. Naruto is more personal and doesn't necessarily concern itself with what's going on in the larger world of its story. I still enjoy Naruto but it has lost its ability to surprise me storywise but with OP I never know whats going to happen next.

9. Travis Touchdown The Crownless King

I have to disagree with this, many of the fights are people using the same moves over and over again (Kage bushin/ Rasengen) but there are some good fights like my favorites are Shikamaru's. One Piece fights interest me a thousand times more then Naruto fights could ever.

10. What One Piece does best: good progress in its story telling. Unlike Naruto, it accomplishes a lot in each chapter and I think that's one of One Piece's best qualities.

11. Astaroth ど~~ん!

Yup. There are no pointless chapters, or fights with retarded endings, or one-dimensional protagonists. That's my opinion anyway.

12. Girl I don't care Active Member

naruto manga i enjoy more, but anime wise one piece is just much better and is also deeper than most people thinks, it deals with issues such as decadence within a society, utopian thinking and status quo etc, whereas naruto is just about naruto chasing after a gay homo that he could never catch. plus yelling gaara's name every five minutes during the anime didn'y really help either.

13. zagman505 Shakou, Hitsuki!

:facepalm

honestly, i'm not surprised that you have a bad opinion of one piece since you watched the dub. however, as a manga addict who STARTED with naruto and eventually moved on to many many more series (i read or have read some 40 or 50 series now) and who still thinks that one piece is one of the best series ever, i can understand how your friend feels.

why is one piece better than naruto? for one, all emotions in one piece are done far better than in naruto. one piece has been able to make me laugh out loud because the humor in one piece is actually funny (and yes oftentimes stupid too) whereas the humor in naruto is usually lame or not done very well (there have been some good funny moments though). the emotional moments in one piece have all been able to at the very least send shivers down my spine, without fail. tears have come to my eye and i actually cried during one of the emotional scenes in one piece. in naruto... i can't even remember any specific scene where i felt shivers down my spine, although i suppose it's happened at least once or twice.

people say that naruto is more serious than one piece, but the only way that's possible is because people actually die in naruto. otherwise, the topics dealt with in one piece are almost all more serious, or if not more serious then much broader in scale. in naruto, it's almost all dealing with personal problems, with the exception of the few situations where it talked about relations between countries and of course with the stereotypical organization pursuing world domination. aside from that though, it's all about the angst everybody has because they're a jinchuuriki or because their brother killed the whole clan or whatever (i'm not saying that it's bad, it can be good in some parts). in one piece... you have situations like trying to save a country from a person that most people believe to be the country's savior. stopping a crazy god. trying to rescue your nakama, even though you know that you become enemies of the world by doing so. at the very least, it makes for a more epic story.

speaking of nakama, one piece does have the incredibly important theme of friendship and 'nakama' pervading throughout the whole series. it creates such a huge bond between the straw hats, and also adds to the emotional scenes, etc. in naruto, that's only ever hinted at in the relationship between naruto and sasuke. there isn't really such a central theme in naruto. also, in one piece luffy is constantly progressing towards his final goal of becoming the pirate king. naruto hasn't even mentioned becoming hokage since he said he would go rescue gaara. instead, naruto has become almost completely based around the whole 'save sasuke' thing.

another reason why one piece is better. all of the main characters receive major growth, and all main characters have their time to shine. every single member of the straw hat crew has had immense development, whereas in naruto the only characters that have really had any major development are team 7, shikamaru, and gaara. it can be argued that one piece doesn't develop anyone aside from the straw hats because they all get left behind at such and such island, but while we're with those characters (like vivi and waipa), they get major development, and one piece actually has a reason to leave the characters behind because the straw hats must keep traveling (and they eventually show up again), whereas in naruto we haven't seen the shinobi of the sand in ages and there's no good reason as to why we don't see them.

oh, and the main characters in one piece are actually all likable (eventually). i like every single member of the straw hat crew, some more than others, but they are all awesome characters. in naruto, my favorite characters are either dead (like kimimaro, sasori, and jiraiya) or haven't been shown in ages (like gaara, kankurou, and lee). naruto has not impressed me as a character since part 1, while sakura hasn't been interesting to me since the sasori fight. sasuke was more interesting while he was fighting itachi, but that fight ended up with the most anticlimatic end ever and went from being one of the potentially greatest fights to one of the lamest. kakashi is cool though, but he's not enough to save the rest of the characters.

finally, one piece has amazing fights. unlike in naruto where it seems that all naruto knows how to use is kage bunshin and rasengan (ok i'm exaggerating a bit, there are quite a few awesome fights in naruto too), almost every fight in one piece has a new technique or strange twist, etc. that makes it funnier, or more epic, or whatever. this is also helped by the fact that there are no training arcs in one piece, so we don't waste time seeing the main characters train for something that we know they'll get in the end anyway, and it allows for the main characters to just pull out new techniques (they usually never pull out more than one per fight though) without any need for explanation (which can be a good thing or a bad thing to some people).

not as important, but one piece also has the surprise factor, most clearly shown in the latest chapters with duval. naruto has never truly surprised me, and the few surprises have been more like, "wtf?" rather than "WHOA".

however, one piece is not perfect. i know lots of people have problems with its art (i don't), but one thing that i think really is a problem in one piece is that nobody dies except in flashbacks. some people were given pretty amazing deaths, yet they somehow survive... and also, some of the villain's character designs simply suck. however, the sucky villain designs are all found in the minor characters that have absolutely no importance, and every major villain has a pretty awesome design. however, these two things are the only problems that i have with one piece overall, and they're not even very big issues.

sorry for the massive reply, i get worked up when talking about this :sweatdrop

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  14. Astaroth ど~~ん!

I get the feeling this section would be a LOT busier were it not for the 4Kids dub rape.
    I can tell. But I understand.
    For more evidence on why the characters in OP are awesome, see my X.

15. Eldritch get mad @ my poor tastes, nerd

I disagree. Sasuke Itachi fight aside, chapters are consistant. (whether you like the content or not is an opinion) Some OP chapters sometimes make me go what the hell.

16. Random Nobody Alien Fighting

The Art Style (it grows on you), the characters, the ability to not take itself too seriously, and the ability to be deep and emotional when it does take itself seriously. Oh and the fights, I really love the fights. Even the obvious PNJ ones are pretty entertaining, even if your lulzing a bit well reading them.

But honestly if your thinking about checking out One Piece I can make only one suggestion. Start from the beginning (anime or mange, but if your going with anime I'd suggest finding some subs as the good uncut dub DVDs aren't out yet) and at least read/watch up to Arlong Park.

17. TargaryenX Number 6

Yeah, I noticed this too. But people do die, it's just that they're all extras.

Spoiler: For Example
    All the people that got crushed by that ship in arabasta, all the angels that got hit by the raigou, the carpenters that CP9 killed in water 7, etc.

Oda doesn't have a problem killing people, but I get the feeling that he's a bit too attached to his characters.

Edit: Another fun thing about one piece is that you get to see the characters' effect on the world around them. Like after they do something outrageous, their bounties go up and they build their reputation.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  18. Shoddragon Active Member

kage bunshin and rasengan tactics occured in the fillers. he only used it like TWICE pre skip. rasengan was his best move so yea, what you expect.

although a gomu gomu no jet gatling gun was at least for me, more interesting than hurting kabuto with a rasengan.

19. Broleta Active Member

LOL @ "naruto's greatness". Naruto is a poor man's series with most of the good stuff being of a typical shounen or ripped from another series (Hunter X Hunter).

One Piece follows typical shounen formula to such an extreme degreee its original in a way. Unique art with brilliant landscapes, the best humour I've ever seen, badass villians, a variety of captivating story arcs (not the same old shit over and over ie Naruto wanting to have sex with Sasuke) etc make One Piece so popular. Infact, a volume of One Piece holds the record for the highest selling graphic novel ever in Japan.

Also, the 4kids One Piece dub is a total hackjob and does not even tell the same story as the original.

20. Travis Touchdown The Crownless King

Well he only learned Rasengen in like the 2nd to last arc of Part 1, and I really have nothing against Part 1, I think it pretty good. However, Part two sucks ass.

21. Master Bait ---Killua Fanboy---

This is stupid. You're asking in an OP section full of OP fans (or even fanboys) so it's apparent that these guys will overglorify OP to heaven. Even still, it's a decent series. I have my opinion, but I believe it to be bias so all I can say is see it for yourself. Among all of us here, you are the only one who can define and compare OP in your own way. But please, don't watch the dubs.... WATCH THE SUBS.

22. Xell ヽ(#`Д?)ノ

Whilst the the main plot of One Piece is typical Shounen (main character having to reach his goal, becoming the best, etc.), what really makes One Piece good is the interactions between the characters. Each character is unique in their own way, unlike Naruto which has boring characters with no depth at all.

I was planning on listing reasons why each of the characters are great in their own way. But if you're going to be idiotic enough to judge One Piece by its terrible dub and not even give the original Japanese version a chance, then I don't feel the need to list every reason why One Piece is great and why Naruto is fucking awful.

23. Naruto-The-Great Member

Well yea duh. I'm a strong supporter of subs. I only watched the OP Dubs because it was on cartoon network.

No, I am going to give OP a chance. And I hate dub, I never watch it. So it is definitely subs I am going to watch. I'm also open-minded, always giving stuff a chance.

24. Master Bait ---Killua Fanboy---

The Hell?! Why did you watch it? It's poisoned! :notrust

25. Minzara The One and Only

One Piece popular? o_O Maybe in Japan and other places, but not USA. lol.

Anyway.... I prefer Naruto, and i've seen all of One Piece, up to the current manga chapter, and anime episode. One Piece is good, and entertaining. I like some of its characters, but I dislike alot as well. And its designs get on my nerves sometimes. But if you trying to ask why OP is so popular, especially in Japan, is because Japan has had to deal with the typical anime designs, and characters for a long time. One Piece if very different, and not typical.

While in American anime just started blooming real big not too long ago, my first anime experience was DBZ, back when I was 16, I'm 23 now. I've seen 120+ show since then, but still, I haven't gotten annoyed by the Anime clithes that Naruto tends to have or Bleach with its designs. Its the reason I like it, because its different. One Piece looks too much like American cartoons, which I am not too fond of design wise.

So there you go :)

26. Naruto-The-Great Member

Because it was the first time I seen it.

27. KLoWn Time is money, friend!

Didn't we have a thread just like this one recently?

28. Broleta Active Member

So in other words you like naruto because you haven't seen the other 1000 anime that is just like it?

29. A1zen Banned

first dont watch the dub, its stupid and you should watch the subed version.

30. Minzara The One and Only

Wouldn't say that at all. I was just saying anime is a new style and design I like. Even though is rather old, and overused in Japan, its not in america "yet." While One Piece is more close to american cartoons, which i've seen since I was a baby, I don't care for them much anymore.

I like Naruto for alot more "important" reason then its designs.

I love the story, and interaction of characters. I love the human factor of it. like how Sasori died because of his "emotions" Stuff like that I like. Its interests me, I know alot of people think its bad writing or whatever, PNJ or PIS. I dont care. It entertains me, and in the long run that is what matters.

31. Naruto-The-Great Member

I just saw the first 2 OP episodes subbed and its great so far! :)

I hate the pirate idea and the drawing because I'm more into the Japanese traditional style though.

Minzara has a good point.

32. Broleta Active Member

Congrats. That's the general standard feeling for most people at that point. Then you become attached to the art style as it goes on and notice that it doesn't suck because it's simplistic, usually because you see that Oda is a god of landscapes and that the designs add to the feel of the series.

33. Naruto-The-Great Member

Sounds good to me. :)

34. Candy <i><b>?bermensch</i></b>

:aobadoor
    so long i didnt even read the whole thing! :nuts

:aobadoor :dupe :zaru these picures clearly isustarte how stupid naruto is

:sparta

35. Xion 終わり

Because it is better than 90% of Naruto in so many areas (Bleach doesn't compare to either):

1.) Character Development

While One Piece doesn't have characters as cool as those in Naruto (in my opinion with the Akatsuki and all), the characters it does have are extremely unique (and many are still really cool and unique) and develop heavily and us, the viewers, get really attached to them. So the character development is much better and much more consistent, and just smarter overall.

2.) Plot

While Naruto's plot is quite different, it does have quite a few plot holes and reeks of sameness with the good guys always winning and other bullshit. While the good guys still win most of the time in One Piece, the fact that the story is so intricate and complex and yet intact and smartly planned makes it infinitely better than Naruto. Naruto feels like it is made up as Kishi goes, while One Piece is also intricately planned and is absolutely genius in some of those elements.

3.) Story

The story for One Piece is just better. Like the plot, it is so large and yet so intricately planned that managing it seems a work of genius, yet Oda is more than capable of pulling it off. Combined with character development, One Piece becomes the best adventure anime I have ever seen and is an absolute blast to watch and rewatch time and time again.

4.) Emotional intensity

Naruto had a few emotional moments that were really good (Haku and Zabuza and some early Sasuke and Gaara scenes for instance), but aside from those it doesn't have much. One Piece always has extreme troubles and deals with extremely human issues and problems and juxtaposes them with absurd character design and STILL manages to become really sad and heartwrenching.

5.) Watch it, I was reluctant too at first having seen all of Naruto and Bleach before and thinking nothing could be better, especially not the kiddy One Piece, BUT I WAS WRONG! ONE PIECE IS THE BEST OF THE THREE WITHOUT A DOUBT.

36. Broleta Active Member

Personally I think that Zoro is "cooler" than any character in Naruto. Same with Mihawk and Shanks. Hell, then you have CP9..

37. Vandal Savage Game Theory Administrator

Please don't turn this into a Naruto bashing thread. We get enough of that in other threads.

One Piece is good because it uses its full potential and nothing feels wasted/pointless. The characters are great and the plot is well constructed. Plus I personally love the designs despite all the hate that they get.

38. Kool ka lang -----------

Yes...right now, one piece is taking the cake for me.

I just read the last arc (with brooke and thriller bark)...and shit.

One piece is delivering the comedy/smackdown/action/fanservice that people who follow naruto are only dreaming Naruto should have. (with shippuuden and all.)

I really want to know what you think after all this. :LOS

39. mykillbrian Level: Insane

Damn right, pare. astig!

40. Shoddragon Active Member

I think that was mine, and it was called why is One Piece so addicting. its technically a different matter, but basically the same question.

41. diesirea あなたを本当に愛しています

I love Luffy's stupidity, and I HATE naruto's stupidity.

42. UchihaItachimk Konoha Shit

wtf part 2 sucked ass lulz u re crazy i too watched 1 2 dub eps and said op is shit

43. neostar8710 Member

naruto had a great start while one piece was a bit boring, but i realized characters are important and not just action,action,action. and one piece definitely did really good with character developments and pacing as well.

the action in one piece is well built up and does not take a whole volume like naruto fights do. and the comedy in one piece has been TOP NOTCH lately hahha..so funny

and one piece does not have training arcs or any of that such. but it all depends on the kind of stuff you like, if you like pure action, naruto is for you. if you like story , then one piece is the stuff =D

44. Sasuke_fanboy Banned

Cuz Sogeking is in it.:zaru

45. Broleta Active Member

Dunno, Naruto has long boring training arcs. I doubt you'd find that entertaining if you like pure action.

46. KLoWn Time is money, friend!

There was like 2 chapters that was entirely training, and then like 4-5 more, or something, where the training got a few pages per chapter.
    How is that "long boring training arcs"?

47. Broleta Active Member

They don't have to be entirely training. Kishimoto tried to incorporate the rasengan training arc into finding tsunade but it was still boring as hell. It's long because it's not short and it's boring because it's not entertaining 8D. Forgive me if Naruto following Jiraiya around and staring at his hand doesn't entertain me.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  48. KLoWn Time is money, friend!

Im not forcing you to like that shit, but the rasengan training as a whole was, like the wind training, only about 5-6 chapters total, and the training only got a few pages in most chapters, so comparing that to an arc is just retarded as hell :edu

49. Canute87 Nuke Imminent

cool good guys, cool bad guys, Wicked fights, touching moments, funny moments, suspense. One piece has it all.

50. Black Leg Sanji PRAISE THE SUN!

Awesome story, epic arcs, badass villains, hilarious comedy, kickass fighting, a wide cast of interesting and different type of characters.

One Piece has pretty much everything and for me its the best long running shounen i encountered.

Must say it has made an extremely good impression on me as i only have followed it for 5 months now.