1. Miss Akihabara 2017: Preliminary Round: Nominations & Qualifications (inc. Naruto and one piece).
    Is currently being held in the Akihabara district, visit the thread here to find out more.

What hooked you into OPM?

Discussion in 'One-Punch Man' started by LordPerucho, Jan 11, 2016.

1. LordPerucho Well-Known Member

What are the reasons that made u read OPM?

For me, first it was the great art which is one of the best in the manga industry tbh.

Then the character cast which One/Murata have done a good job giving them their fair amount of panel time with even the C class heroes.

The story didnt pick up until when the HA stuff is being introduced, getting to see the Sea King and then the Boros Arc.

My Favorite moment in the series:

Anime: The Whole Boros vs Saitama fight/Mumen Rider speech

Manga: Mumen Rider speech/Saitama Serious Punch

Webcomic:
    Spoiler:
    Saitama lecturing Garou, Garou turning Mask into a beavis

2. Zaru ________________________________ Advisor

I laughed like a retard at the first dozen or so chapters, randomly trying it out back in 2013

After a while, I started checking out the untranslated ONE stuff. Didn't understand shit but it somehow captivated me. Then there was the golden summer of 2014 where we were getting daily updates for the ONE scanlation. Based UltimateKing, may you get safely through your breakup :wow

3. Lucaniel non serviam

everything about it. i loved the concept, murata's art was superb, and the comic dynamic of saitama's apathetic everydayness conflicting with the highly melodramatic way everyone he met behaved was hilarious

4. Coldelia colder and colder Advisor

I've been seeing Saitama's face a lot in reaction images and avatars that people post and wear here. I was kind of intrigued because I thought he's funny-looking. I asked about it and I was told that he's the main character of the One-Punch Man manga. Several of my friends then told me it's good. I went ahead to read a few chapters out of pure curiosity mid last year (and since I was also looking for a new series to follow).

Then this happened

And couldn't stop reading. It was entertaining as hell. I like the story's concept and found it refreshing. The art is amazing, the characters are pretty awesome, and I especially love the humor. I was initially a manga-only follower but I decided to read the webcomic too.

5. CC Ravis Return of the DOG

It was pure love the moment I was watching the first episode and Marugori accidentally killed his brother. That was just too funny. And then as the episode went on I grew very attached to Saitama's character, mainly because of the implications of the dream sequence.

6. ZenithXAbyss The Final Boss

7. Zaru ________________________________ Advisor

I wonder if Murata ever had storywriting ambitions
    He's pretty much always drawn something that someone else wrote, since his breakout hit

8. kluang The Cavalry's Here

I was bored one day and decide to browse some one shots until I stumbled upon Murata's heroes of fury ( written by one) and very much enjoyed it and dig some more and found opm. And I lol even more by the story and hook up ever since.

Need to finish reading the one version though.

9. Vongola King The King

10. Raidoton Active Member

I just remember somehow finding the first chapter of Murata's version, maybe thanks to this forum, and at first I was like "If he is so OP it's probably boring as fuck!". I was only planning to read a few chapters, but it was such a fun read that I kept reading. Now it's one of my favorite Manga.

11. Superman Man of Steel

This minus friends telling me about this. Then someone posted an image of him with 2 or 3 of the other biggest bad asses in manga history and I just had to check him out.

12. XImpossibruX the absolute madman

Then it was the comedy.

Then it was the characters.

13. Lina Inverse Lina Inverse Fanboy

the art is a good bonus

14. Brian           

I liked the concept, it's hilarious, I was also pleasantly surprised how easy and quick this was to read it hits so well. The characters are great Saitama is so laid back he became one of my all time fav characters.

And I liked the art, especially the panels that follow sequences(never seen this in a manga), and stuff being edited in PS. When my friend linked the art for the webcomic I thought it was hilarious and I just had to read it.

15. Sartharion The Onyx Guardian

Seeing Santi mention the Gorilla face, and him posting pictures of said Gorilla face. So I decided to check it out and one thing led to another.

16. CaptainCommanderRenji Active Member

17. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR YAY!!!

The Genos vs Saitama gif is what initially made me aware of the series.

But while reading, the thing that totally won me over was that one page.

18. Chrollo Lucilfer Skill Hunter

Saitama's glorious bald head got me hooked.

The mystery behind his baldness and how a young man became a walking egg intrigued me to no end

19. Dragon D. Luffy You can only cry when it's all over.

The whole premise is pretty original. Too many shounen do exactly the same thing, and OPM deconstructs it from the start. The story was at the same time funny, sad, badass and intelligent.

20. egressmadara Wanderin' About

21. InfinitusOdium Member

Seeing all the different kinds of gifs made from the manga.

22. Kyosuke ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I read the first chapter. I got hooked because it's so funny. I like Saitama so much.

23. The Handsome Klad Itachi's Bishieness

I remember seeing Every Single Day's avi and sig and thought it was inspiring back when it was OPM. I then read the manga, and became interested after reading X

Garou dragged me in hook, line and sinker

24. Dream forever flawless Administrator

The gorgeous art and Saitama's character were what grabbed my interest.

25. Freechoice Freechoice

First saw that famous gif of Saitama vs Genos and asked the person wearing it where it is from

Was hooked from then

The art is what grabbed me

The story and characters are what made it my favourite mango [seems weird grammatically speaking]

26. Black Mirror ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=( ͠? ͟ʖ ͡?)=ε/̵͇̿̿

I saw "One", thought it was One Piece, started reading.

27. Jigen Blue Jacket

28. Razor Ramon HG | (? ◡?)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

Episode 1 of the anime is where I started and it slowly rapidly developed into an obsession of all things OPM

29. Robin Overdrive

Exactly 3 years ago, I was chilling on batoto and then saw the name Onepunch-man on batoto main feed and the name intrigued me.

First chapter hooked me in.

Cover:
    Spoiler:
    X

Niiiice. The art is great, the overall feeling implies it's a good quality series.

First page:
    Spoiler:

Starts off with an explosion. That in itself would keep me reading. I mean explosions :iria

Second:
    Spoiler:

The art, the detail, the meticulous attention to every pixel shows the artist's dedication. Also nice setting showing people's reaction and how the explosion is not just an isolated event but involves ordinary people's lives. This means story telling skill is top notch. And also the hype building is excellent.

The villain:
    Spoiler:

Comical looking but serious. Alien-looking monster, another thing that gets me hooked. Good anatomy.

The hero:
    Spoiler:

Dynamic action panels, use of diagonals, the cape dramatically covers almost half of the page, showing the weight and might of the hero.

And then the hero elaborated:
    Spoiler:

:rotfl The comically and simply drawn hero mocks the villain by his unimpressed expression that lacks all sorts of passion, fear, desire to save humanity, etc. I make that kinda expression when I weed my garden :rotfl
    boon later explained that he translated the phrase wrong and it should have said "just an average guy being a hero for a hobby". other manga hosting websites didn't change it.

Villain getting upset at the mockery:
    Spoiler:

A 100% cliche villain, the hero's expression on the page matched mine :rotfl he's heard it all before :lmao This hero is like the incarnation of our boredom with shounen cliches.

And the punchline:
    Spoiler:

This panel got me hooked instantly. Everything else up to it has been great and I'd still read the comic without this panel. But it made me absolutely love it.
    The hero destroyed the villain with boredom like he's stepped on a bug, but it felt so satisfying. It's like he trampled on an overdone and annoying trope in the most fitting way, the won't-remember-it-tomorrow kinda way.

I can't say I actually laughed out loud reading this. Maybe chuckled. Mostly at Genos's complete absence of social skills :rotfl

30. Blizzard-chan Member

Through friends plus all the positive reviews about it which made me think that maybe this is worth a try. I was only a manga only reader too. No offense to ONE though and I don't have anything against his art, but I really want to see how the story unfolds through Murata's wonderful illustration firsthand. But then I can't wait to see what happens next so I decided to check out the webcomic too and since the manga is far behind.

31. magicalsieg Banned

The entrance of Saitama's in the first chapter, too fucking memorable

32. Stringer ◤ A Tribe Called Hustle ◢

at first 'twas the art that enticed me, but the biggest reason I stayed with it was because of the humor

33. Greidy Well-Known Member

I'm going to make this way more in depth than it needs to be, because it is fun to pretend people care about what I think.

I kind of don't remember how it first appeared on my radar. But I read the synopsis (of the mango), and saw a few gifs of Genos Vs Saitama, and thought that I'd have to eventually check it out, but I wasn't in any rush.

By chance on 4chan, I came across a One-Punch Man thread. The first image was a page showing three panels: First, was of Tornado, and it was showing her complaining and her rank, S-Class Rank 2. Then it showed Blast missing as Rank 1. Then I saw Saitama, and he was B-Class Rank 63. And I saw a post about something something hero association something.

So I was all like "holy shit, so Saitama is already overpowered enough to defeat things with one punch, and then he found this hero ranking group and despite that he only ended up being B-rank. So there's all these other heroes even more powerful, and this Tornado chick must be Marvel-tier god-like."

I legit thought that the manga just went crazy with overpowered characters, and like there was just simply an over-abundance of overpowered one-shot, hero main characters and Saitama was just another one of them from his own "story" if you will. Like it was playing on the fact that everyone writes their main character or at least one character, in their fiction as (eventually) overly powerful. And now we just have all these too stronk characters lying around. That's what I theorized from that one page. Holy shit.

I thought it was just going to get super crazy as time went on and we'd have people punching universes and megaversal level beings by the end or something.

Anyway, my retardation aside, I'm more than happy with what I got, when I finally found a chance to read it. Good shit.

So excited for what is to come, as well.

35. Kenpachi_Uchiha Hope Won't Die

Friend recommended it and the first fight scene of the anime had me hooked.

I then started reading the manga,

I am still trying to wrap my head around the webcomic. I want to get into it...but the drawn style is still a little too funky for me.

36. D4nc3Style The Legendary Battousai

Haven't read anything of it, but seeing all the GIF images on facebook got me to watch it, haha.

37. PrazzyP HxH is life

I started by watching the anime, and then i got into the manga after that

38. Xeogran He rises again.

39. VAK I'm a motherfuckin Starboy

Anime for me, saw it pop up on youtube after some youtuber did a review of the first episode and I went and checked it out, after the first episode was hooked like a junkie on meth....

40. Takahashi I'm with Eyeshield 21

Ever since Eyeshield 21 ended I was keeping up with what Murata was doing, so I naturally came across OPM. The humor was on-point, and Murata's art is fantastic, so I kept reading since then. Eventually I read ONE's version just to see how the general story would unfold.

41. Tayimus Number One

42. RedChidori Dat Green Nigga

The first episode had me hooked. Epic and funny as shit.

43. Imagine //\\

It's an easy read with some funny moments (especially the parodies), an enjoyable cast and great art.

I'm not hooked on it though.

44. theBeginning Viva la revolución

I searched for a strong, calm and collected hero and this popped up. Gave it a try. Couldn't stop reading ever since. One of the most hilarious manga ever.

45. Kishido Ranger

The simplcity of the story and of course the parody of generic shonen tropes.

Most Shonen now take themselves to seriously and are overcomplicating things instad of keeping it short.

Of course the abilities and characters as well

46. Biothrang Member

Everything about this story is new and refreshing for the animeverse to me. It doesn't really seem to have many of the normal anime-troeps and I just love how powerful Saitama is, and is yet to be. I'm attracted to power, huge universe-busting power. It turns me on :hurr

For the anime, I got hooked when I laughed my motherfucking ass off while looking at the Hero Association entry thingy. Then when I saw Saitama's punch split the clouds half-way across the world, I immediately jumped to the manga and have been checking for updates almost everyday since it has an irregular update schedule.

It's such an amazing story and I haven't seen anything new since I first saw Mirai Nikki.

47. Klue 輪廻

Let an episode of Adventure Time play pass the ending credits, Hulu randomly decided to play One Punch Man next. Episode 1, opening scene.

Never looked back.

48. Gibbs RIP Dad, 6/15/50 - 10/21/15

49. Mariko Well-Known Member

50. White Wolf Butcher of Blaviken

It just came out in manga form when I was in the hardcore weeb phase of my teens so of course I checked it out, read it for a while was great, then lost interest in everything, fast forward some years anime comes out, check it out, dope as ever and for me anime requires less effort so was all good in the hood.