1. The Konoha Kennel is back! As a subsection to the Chatterbox, discuss your favorite fauna-related topics at a fun and laid-back pace. From animals to zoos, it's your one-stop destination for critter lovers!

Train in Alabama oil spill was carrying 2.7 million gallons of crude

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by Blue, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Blue Disposition Matrix

X

Can we build that pipeline now, Obama?

Or are we going to keep pretending a safe, reliable pipe is an environmental disaster waiting to happen while rolling these 200 meter bombs down railroads all over the country?

2. ExoSkel Teh Laughing Man

3. Megaharrison Eternal President of the Cafe Advisor

Pipelines will disturb the local wildlife in between the trains derailing on them.

4. navy Active Member

5. Blue Disposition Matrix

6. Savior Awesomeness personified

Wetlands...Oil....no good

7. navy Active Member

How's Canadian drilling been treating ya? Economy > Environment. Right?

8. ez Jesus Christ

X

keep on sayin no obama. i got your back brah.

9. stab-o-tron5000 I wrote words here!

Warren Buffett was a HUGE contributor to Obama's campaign. Warren Buffett X the X that all this oil is being shipped on.

Gee, I wonder why Obama isn't supporting the pipeline?

10. navy Active Member

This is funny, because I hear he will approve the pipeline...

11. Enclave Mr. Flibble's very cross

It's funny you bring that up. You'll actually find your average Canadian cares about the environment FAR more than the Conservative fucktards that are in office. Largely? We are not pleased with Stephen Harper and his stooges.

12. Sanity Check away fighting dragons

He commissioned "studies" to check if oil pipelines are a "viable technology" to stall progress in that area.

:nod

As if oil pipelines were a new technology lacking decades of history & precedent.

13. Hozukimaru &#32

US is still so oil depended...

14. Zaru ________________________________ Advisor

America can't into passenger trains but they deliver large amounts of oil in them?
    Get your shit together guys :mad

15. ExoSkel Teh Laughing Man

Oil is more important than people in 'murica.

16. Blue Disposition Matrix

Yeah, about that whole "passenger train" thing. We have these things called "automobiles". They're not very good at transporting a million barrels of crude oil, but they get people around well enough.

17. Zaru ________________________________ Advisor

There's this concept of "having both, complimenting each other's weaknesses"
    Ever heard of it? It means having the best of both worlds. Meaning that, if you're so inclined, you can spend your commute to notable cities sleeping, reading, learning or playing card games if that's what you fancy, instead of focussing on the road because all those other drivers are a hundred times bigger threat to your life than terrorists. And you can still have a car for those more independent routes if you want.

Also, passenger and cargo trains can use the same tracks if they're not single-lines built in the 19th century.

18. Blue Disposition Matrix

Considering commutes, a subway is a train, and we have plenty enough of those. But I don't really know anything about the logistics of providing commuter transport.

What I do know is that if trains were profitable in the US, millions of miles of track would be built in a matter of months.

It's not; our only rail carrier is Amtrak, and it's on government life support. That's a combination of Americans loving their cars and gas being cheap as dirt, compared to other first-world countries.

You might be able to play card games on a train, but an automotive commute is far more time-efficient. Even a high speed train can't compete with the efficiency of taking you right from your garage to the doorstep of your workplace.

19. Ceria Chessie System

America has passenger trains, as well as local commuter services. They don't have high speed bullet trains, though they're in the process of setting one up here.

20. Zaru ________________________________ Advisor

I don't count subways since those are only within a city. Any larger city should have those, if the land allows it, anyway.

Trains often aren't very profitable because they're more a service to the people - just like most public transport.
    And let's be honest here, if the US had spent notable focus on developing/researching better rail transport, we'd be 50 years ahead in that technology compared to now.

It is not "time efficient" because you cannot do ANYTHING else next to driving. That is time completely lost to driving and only driving. In a long distance train, you can pack out your laptop and do productive work (or watch Anime, heh). Time in a train is not completely lost, even if you just catch up on rest.

And maybe you just live in a never-frost state, but cars are anything but reliable in winter when temperatures go below 0. Travel times increase due to snow and other weather conditions. The battery might die if you don't charge it regularly. Trains are more reliable in that case. The same applies to traffic jams during rush hour etc.

Good if true. I'm not saying they should make coast-connecting bullet trains, planes are usually a better choice for that, but inbetween the highly populated areas of the east and west coast, trains make a lot of sense and the distances aren't much different from Europe.
    The main problem I see is that american cities do not have huge train stations near the city centre like most notable european cities do, so making those viable at this point would require a lot of construction and destruction.

21. Colonel Awesome Lol

22. Ceria Chessie System

There's an amtrak high speed train called the Acela express, at 150mph it's the only high speed train currently in america. It runs in the northeast corridor from Boston through New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore to Washington, D.C.

The one i spoke of will run from Orlando to Miami and possibly a route to Tampa as well. All within the state of florida.

23. Seto Kaiba God Hand Crusher

Didn't a pipeline burst in Nebraska not too long ago? Kinda makes your whole diatribe pretty stupid.

Ah, it was Arkansas:

X

24. Blue Disposition Matrix

Article exaggerates at every turn. "Flooding the neighborhood" indeed. 80000 gallons is a couple of swimming pools' worth.

Even if it was a zillion gallons, it would be preferable to a freight train exploding.

25. stab-o-tron5000 I wrote words here!

Pfff. Like I'm gonna let your "facts" get in the way of my conspiracy theory.

26. Seto Kaiba God Hand Crusher

80,000 US gallons = 2,539.68254 Fluid barrels. It was actually around 5000-7000, with 12,000 barrels mixed with the water. That is quite significant, Blue.

X

X

The freight train carried 85,714.2857 Fluid barrels similar to the pipeline, and it is stated most of the oil contained was not spilled, but there aren't any numbers for comparison unfortunately.

I think you miss the point that however way you transport these materials, they present an environmental hazard. The big issue is our dependency on these fuels more than anything else.

27. Geezus Son of Gawd

was it just me or does alabama oil spil sound like something you'd do with a hooker for 20 bucks?

28. Ceria Chessie System

Maybe you should enter that into the dictionary.

29. navy Active Member

The urban dictionary that is.

30. The Mad King The Gent

Pipelines are just as problematic as well.