1. The Konoha Kennel is back! As a subsection to the Chatterbox, discuss your favorite fauna-related topics at a fun and laid-back pace. From animals to zoos, it's your one-stop destination for critter lovers!

The Official Pokemon Diamond and Pearl competitive team building guide.

Discussion in 'NF Archives' started by Silent Storm, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Silent Storm Active Member

Another guide by yours truly.

What do I need to consider when building a competivie pokemon.
    There are many factors when wanting to build a competitvie pokemom.

The main ones are:-
    Movesets
    EV's
    IV's
    Natures
    Hold items.

This guide will be split into these main factors cause that is what ou need to build a rteam strong enough to beat hard, tough powerful trainers (like Dynamic Dragon XD)

Movesets

I take it you know what movesets are so there is no point expaling what they are.

When deciding a moveset you have to consider the fact that you can't have two moves of the same types unless its a power up move or a move like Spikes or whirlwind.

You also have to consider that the moveset should be varied to take down a good selection of pokemon.

Take this moveset of an infernape as an example.

Earthquake
    Grass knot
    Close combat
    Flare blitz.

This is a standard moveset for a competive Infernape.

Flare blitz and close combat cover a fair majority of pokemon, mostly common pokemon used in this generations teams.

The moveset is a mixed sweeper moveset, so it can take down a a good selection of pokemon without too much trouble,.

Earthquake takes down electric, ground, rock and steel pokemon, grassknot takes down the likes of water pokemon and works effective with heavy pokemon like snorlax.

Close combat takes down rock, ground, steel and noraml pokemon, amd with a hasty nature, defence being lowerd while using it is not important.

However, movesets are dependant on the natures, a topic that I will cover later in this guide.

EV's

X

IV's

Spoiler:
    A pokemon has 6 stats:

HP
    Atk
    Def
    Sp. Atk
    Sp. Def
    Spd

and every pokemon gets a random Individual value (consider it an extra bonus) ranging from 0 to 31.

( to get an idea of the individual values of a pokemon JUST BORN you can use two methods, leveling up to at least lvl 20 with rare candies or using the day care, IT NEEDS TO LEVEL UP WITHOUT FIGHTING OR GETTING EXPERIENCE OF ANY FIGHT = no exp.share, and using an IV calculator like the one at Serebii.net)

getting a 0 doesn't mean it's bad... but you're not getting any extra push that could mean victory or defeat... so people aims to get better values on their pokemon by catching, trading or random breeding the pokemon they want.

But there's an option to at least make it easier.

Breeding helps to inherit or "pass down" some of those individual values from the parents to the babies.

This is an example (showing stat/IV)

Male:
    hp/31
    atk/16
    def/30
    Sp.Atk/2
    Sp.Def/31
    Spd/20

Female:
    HP/11
    Atk/30
    Def/0
    Sp.atk/25
    Sp.Def/31
    Spd/29

let's say this pokemon will be a defensive wall, the Sp.Def on both parents is 31, they can reach the highest value on Sp.Def, and look.. the father has also the highest HP and a very good Def. so we'll be aiming to get those 3 values inherited... the HP and Def of the male and the SP.def of the female...

why only 3?... there's a rule for IV breeding...

3 of the IV's of the baby will be inherited from the parents at random and the other 3 will be totally random, so it still be a matter of luck... only that you have a higher chance now of getting the combination needed.

getting the right 3 values can take a long time and lots of rejected babies but you don't need to aim for perfection.. you can use the better babies you get if you get tired.

In pokeomn Emerald there was a guy who evaluated your pokemon by their IV's but now each pokemon has a little flavour text on his summary

Here's the different options and the range of values they cover:

HP:
    Loves to eat (0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30)
    Often dozes off (1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31)
    Often naps (2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27)
    Scatter things often (3, 8, 13, 18, 23, 28)
    Likes to relax (4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29)

Attack:
    Proud of its power (0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30)
    Likes to trash about (1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31)
    A little quick tempered (2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27)
    Likes to fight (3, 8, 13, 18, 23, 28)
    Hot tempered (4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29)

Defense:
    Sturdy body (0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30)
    Capable of taking hits (1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31)
    Highly persistent (2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27)
    Good endurance (3, 8, 13, 18, 23, 28)
    Good perseverence (4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29)

S.attack:
    Highly curious (0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30)
    Mischievous (1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31)
    Thoroughly cunning (2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27)
    Often lost in thought (3, 8, 13, 18, 23, 28)
    Very finicky (4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29)

S. Defense:
    Strong willed (0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30)
    Somewhat vain (1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31)
    Strongly defiant (2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27)
    Hates to lose (3, 8, 13, 18, 23, 28)
    Somewhat stubborn (4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29)

Speed:
    Likes to run (0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30)
    Alert to sounds (1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31)
    Impetuous and silly (2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27)
    Somewhat of a clown (3, 8, 13, 18, 23, 28)
    Quick to flee (4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29)

the ones in bold contain the highest value of 31... so you should aim for those and check with the calculator if theyare indeed 31's... cause they can be of a lower value

btw... the message appears depending on the HIGHEST IV the pokemon has, but if it has more than 1 value at 31, the message will be chosen at random form them (a 31 hp 31atk pokemon can say either "often dozes off" or "likes to trash about" for example)

Natures

Like EV's and movesets, Natures are vital when you are preparing a good balanced team.

These are the natures.

X

Ok by following this, if I get a snorlax with a Adamant nature, I will EV train it with 252 attack evs. 252 defence evs and 4 hit points evs, focusing on attack EVs most cause of the nature.

If you don't get the nature you want the first time, re breeding helps (or if its a one off pokemon like Rotom, soft reseting helps cause Natures are random, hopefully it won't come to that if you are lucky.)

Hold items

Hold items are also important, cause they can either power up the stats of your pokemon, or lower the stats of your opponents pokemon.

Hold items can either work in battle or outside of battle, but I am talking about in battle in this guide.

So say I have a nsorlax and it has a rest move, I will kae it hold a lum berry so that when it uses rest, lum berrry effect is that when the pokemonm holding the item is affect by any status affecting moves, it will automatically heal the pokemon, and seeing as rest makes the use sleep, it will heal the user's status, maing it a +1 on your side, and a -1 on the opponent's side.

Leftovers is another common hold item, it heals the pokemon by a bit while battling, using it with a defencevie will make it annoying as hell to beat, especally if you fighting a blissy or snorlax.

To find out about the different kinds of hold items, look on serebii

X

To sum it up, to build a competitive team, you are going to have to consider IV's, EV's, Natures, movesets and hold items.

Also, I wanted to talk about egg moves, but there is not really much to say, just look on serebii for egg moves.

X

Tip - By catching a ditto with an adamant or jolly nature, giving it verstone and breeding it with the pokemon you want to train will give the egg pokemon the nature of the ditto, same applies to female versions of pokemon.

Type Chart

Spoiler:
    X

Links

X
    X
    X
    X

Hope this helsp, also, if this guide has any wonky bits, helping make this better will be appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  2. Judgemento It's a duck

Everstone and Breeding

Silent I must rep you... but I already did D:<
    Anyways great guide that should be helpful for everyone :p

Edit: added BI's part

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  3. Silent Storm Active Member

OK, I will look it up.

4. Judgemento It's a duck

You could add a link to serebii's attack-dex.
    We could include Smogon's link on pokemon that are becoming more common on Wi-fi.
    We could also add Marriland's Calculator/pokemon team links.

:oh

Edit: Nvm just the smogon link should be okay :noworry

5. Silent Storm Active Member

Meh, I added all the links.

*Updated*

6. LordTyrano? Rockstar

Though its a general rule, having two attacks of the same type isn't always a bad idea as long both have different effects.

Take Brelom for example, if some pokemon survived your focus punch and managed to break your substitute you can end it easily with mach punch, but its all about personal choice, since mach punch leaves you without a move for dealing with ghost, but you can always spore them and switch away.

Also moves like Overheat, its great for a hit and run attack, but if you cant switch away for some reason and need a fire attack flamethrower is not a bad choice to have in the same moveset (only if your pokemon can take 2-3 non-super effective hits before dying, like Arcanine)

Thats why sometimes the moveset of a single pokemon depends on what the rest on the party can do, and what situations you have faced before

There are some exceptions like those, but yeah, having surf and hydro pump in the same set its plain stupid xP

7. Silent Storm Active Member

I think I said that.

Sorry, I worded that part wrong, I meant its most of the time bad to have two of the same moves if its attack moves, however, power up moves are ok, its kind of like Sunny day and flamethrower in the same moveset.

8. slimscane King Slime Scane

Thanks Silent, I am going to be binging this week every chance I get so I can have a party that isn't embarrassing come friday.

I was hoping to get a good enough party together as not to lose the first round, but I'm up against you, and you're so knowledgeable :arg There is no way you aren't a great trainer. I'm screwed :(

9. R3trograde Il n'y a pas de hors-texte.

It would help to have some touchstone-movesets - the basic stuff that you'll encounter on a regular basis. I'm not nearly experienced enough to try something like that, but it's going to be a long time coming otherwise because it's going to take sites like Serebii ages to have a comprehensive guide like that.

10. chaosakita 我愛羅の愛好者~~!

I think this guide is alright, but it needs to work on the moveset part.

11. Duy Nguyen Turtlin'

More very helpful tips...

Remember to please have something that can stop the following...

1. CSmence (Choice Spec Salamence)
    It can and will OHKO anything with Draco Meteor outside of Steel types and Blissey. It also comes standard with Flamethrower so it has the ability to predict incoming Steel type switch ins and Flamethrower you to death.

2. CBTar (Choice Band Tyranitar)
    With the ability to hit 404 ATK stats and combining that with a STAB Crunch and Stone Edge it will tear up anything in it's path if you're not prepared. If CBTar finds any way to switch in safely you best be prepared or else something is going to die or take ~50% life.

3. Gyarados
    Gyarados in this generation has the ability to easily 6-0 many many teams. Again be prepared to stop it from Dragon Dancing or predict decisive hits. Please don't think having a water Pokemon with Thunderbolt or Jolteon coming in and revenge killing it is your best bet. You never know if the opponent has an Electivire in their team that can take the Electric attack, boosting it's own speed, and continue to sweep your team.

4. Rhyperior
    Solid Rock is a very broken ability. Starmie can't even Surf this thing to death because of Solid Rock and in result Starmie will get OHKOed by Megahorn or something. Through past experiences the only way I was able to drop Rhyperior was by hitting him hard with Starmie's Surf hitting for about I'd say 60-70% life and pray that Megahorn will miss. If not, so be it, I will have to revenge kill.

5. Weavile
    Not too big, but early players will fall to this thing easily. It can hit around 380 something SPD outrunning A LOT of stuff right off the bat. It's standard for it to have Brick Break, Pursuit, Night Slash, and Ice Punch/Ice Shard. From there you can see it's huge type coverage.

There are more threats, but those are the ones that are very reoccuring amongst new and inexperience players.

12. Silent Storm Active Member

Tips added.

13. Blind Weasel 『 Bag on head retarded 』 Moderator

there are some things that could go there...

Spoiler: Everstone and Breeding

The everstone just does not allow a pokemon to evolve, if given to the FEMALE pokemon breeding on the Daycare, it will have the effect of a 50% chance of "inheriting" the same nature as the female... for example...

any nature male + Adamant female(w/everstone) = 50% chance of getting Adamant baby

Now, With Ditto it works the same only and only if Ditto is acting as the female on the breeding.

Impish Ditto(w/everstone) + any male = 50% chance of Impish baby of the same species as the male pokemon.

Timid Ditto(w/everstone) + genderless (mineral) pokemon = 50% chance of Timid baby of the mineral pokemon.

Ditto(everstone) + Female pokemon = Random nature because the ditto is the male here and there's no effect on males.

Spoiler: Individual Values and breeding

A pokemon has 6 stats:

HP
    Atk
    Def
    Sp. Atk
    Sp. Def
    Spd

and every pokemon gets a random Individual value (consider it an extra bonus) ranging from 0 to 31.

( to get an idea of the individual values of a pokemon JUST BORN you can use two methods, leveling up to at least lvl 20 with rare candies or using the day care, IT NEEDS TO LEVEL UP WITHOUT FIGHTING OR GETTING EXPERIENCE OF ANY FIGHT = no exp.share, and using an IV calculator like the one at Serebii.net)

getting a 0 doesn't mean it's bad... but you're not getting any extra push that could mean victory or defeat... so people aims to get better values on their pokemon by catching, trading or random breeding the pokemon they want.

But there's an option to at least make it easier.

Breeding helps to inherit or "pass down" some of those individual values from the parents to the babies.

This is an example (showing stat/IV)

Male:
    hp/31
    atk/16
    def/30
    Sp.Atk/2
    Sp.Def/31
    Spd/20

Female:
    HP/11
    Atk/30
    Def/0
    Sp.atk/25
    Sp.Def/31
    Spd/29

let's say this pokemon will be a defensive wall, the Sp.Def on both parents is 31, they can reach the highest value on Sp.Def, and look.. the father has also the highest HP and a very good Def. so we'll be aiming to get those 3 values inherited... the HP and Def of the male and the SP.def of the female...

why only 3?... there's a rule for IV breeding...

3 of the IV's of the baby will be inherited from the parents at random and the other 3 will be totally random, so it still be a matter of luck... only that you have a higher chance now of getting the combination needed.

getting the right 3 values can take a long time and lots of rejected babies but you don't need to aim for perfection.. you can use the better babies you get if you get tired.

In pokeomn Emerald there was a guy who evaluated your pokemon by their IV's but now each pokemon has a little flavour text on his summary

Here's the different options and the range of values they cover:

HP:
    Loves to eat (0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30)
    Often dozes off (1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31)
    Often naps (2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27)
    Scatter things often (3, 8, 13, 18, 23, 28)
    Likes to relax (4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29)

Attack:
    Proud of its power (0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30)
    Likes to trash about (1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31)
    A little quick tempered (2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27)
    Likes to fight (3, 8, 13, 18, 23, 28)
    Hot tempered (4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29)

Defense:
    Sturdy body (0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30)
    Capable of taking hits (1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31)
    Highly persistent (2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27)
    Good endurance (3, 8, 13, 18, 23, 28)
    Good perseverence (4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29)

S.attack:
    Highly curious (0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30)
    Mischievous (1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31)
    Thoroughly cunning (2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27)
    Often lost in thought (3, 8, 13, 18, 23, 28)
    Very finicky (4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29)

S. Defense:
    Strong willed (0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30)
    Somewhat vain (1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31)
    Strongly defiant (2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27)
    Hates to lose (3, 8, 13, 18, 23, 28)
    Somewhat stubborn (4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29)

Speed:
    Likes to run (0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30)
    Alert to sounds (1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31)
    Impetuous and silly (2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27)
    Somewhat of a clown (3, 8, 13, 18, 23, 28)
    Quick to flee (4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29)

the ones in bold contain the highest value of 31... so you should aim for those and check with the calculator if theyare indeed 31's... cause they can be of a lower value

btw... the message appears depending on the HIGHEST IV the pokemon has, but if it has more than 1 value at 31, the message will be chosen at random form them (a 31 hp 31atk pokemon can say either "often dozes off" or "likes to trash about" for example)

phew... if this needs more details just add them lol...

btw... i've confirmed everything of this by experimenting myself during one week...

14. Silent Storm Active Member

I could only add one cause of the text limit.

15. Judgemento It's a duck

If you want Silent you can ask a mod/admin to give you my post so you can add stuff and edit later.

16. Blind Weasel 『 Bag on head retarded 』 Moderator

you can also just add a link to my post XD...

17. R3trograde Il n'y a pas de hors-texte.

I've got a virgin Azelf, what moveset should I give it? I'd like EVs and all, please.

18. Silent Storm Active Member

19. Hemino Hyuuga .Symmetry is Key.

20. Mecha Wolf Nature Meets Kick Ass

That would make one hilarious nature. Along with "Slutty".

21. R3trograde Il n'y a pas de hors-texte.

LMAO. Virgin, as in untrained, no EVs, freshly caught, etc.

....So can I get a moveset for such an Azelf?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  22. Blind Weasel 『 Bag on head retarded 』 Moderator

oh.. i forgot to say that IV breeding has certain percentage of chances to pass down an specific stat value.. but i'm still not sure of that part... =P

23. Silent Storm Active Member

Tell me the nature of it.

24. Duy Nguyen Turtlin'

IVs are passed down like this...

The offspring randomly gets 3 of the same IVs from any of the parents and mixed. Like it might get the fathers ATK and SPD IVs and the mothers DEF IVs, and so on, the combos are huge.

25. Judgemento It's a duck

Added BI's breeding/everstone trick. Bump too x]

26. Stumpy Ǧ̴͚͠ǒ̳̹̘̄̈́ǫ͚̪͊ͬ̄̿ͮ̍͑ ́͢d̥ ̤̼̈̀͌

ok seriously... this is too much for me...

I need like pokemon counseling or something. I can handle Movesets, EVs, Hold Items, and Natures to a certain extent, but now there's this garbage called IVs?? How can I determine if a low level pokemon of mine is worth leveling up?

I guess for example if I want a good natured Ralts to turn into Gallade one day, I would probably want a nature like Jolly or Naughty or something right? Well then how can I determine what the IVs are or... what the fuck are IVs anyways...

Would something like a Jolly natured and "Alert to sounds" be somewhat ideal for maxing out a pokemon's speed stat?

(lol even though I started by saying this is too much for me, i may have just gotten some of it)

27. Dreikoo Paragon of Dragoon Exelence

There's no way to find out IVs without first leveling a pokemon to a certain extent. LVL 50 is most of the time enough to determine it's IVs and those IVs can be 1-31 and depending on the number it reflects to it's stat.

For example a charizard at lvl 100 can have a max of 328 special attack but only if it has 31 IVs in special attack...if it only has 1 IV in special attack it'll have 298 special attack which would be the same as if it was not ever EVd thus you see that IVs are equally as important as EVs.

28. Stumpy Ǧ̴͚͠ǒ̳̹̘̄̈́ǫ͚̪͊ͬ̄̿ͮ̍͑ ́͢d̥ ̤̼̈̀͌

So then... What's the point of the phrases such as "Loves to eat", "Proud of its power", and whatnot?

29. Dreikoo Paragon of Dragoon Exelence

Don't know don't care....most likely it's just a funny thing that just helps pokemon be more of personas than just battling bots. If you wanna know about IVs get yourself a IV calculator and use it :p. (serebii has one)

30. Stumpy Ǧ̴͚͠ǒ̳̹̘̄̈́ǫ͚̪͊ͬ̄̿ͮ̍͑ ́͢d̥ ̤̼̈̀͌

X
    Am I doing it right?

edit: no seriously i dont get this calculator at all

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  31. Dreikoo Paragon of Dragoon Exelence

Noone explained it to me either...i just tried to figure it out...i'm not sure if you're being serious or not but in any case try and guess what each thing stands for...

32. Shiranui Nullius in verba

does the calculator work for like a newly hatched pokemon?

33. Dreikoo Paragon of Dragoon Exelence

You can try it for lvl 20 and up but for 100% accurate results lvl 50 should be the minimum.

34. Shiranui Nullius in verba

awww man so to compete i have to Ev train for hours on end then when i get to lv.50 see that i cant use it then start over??? that SUX!

35. 2Shea Touch?

This is where the day care, rare candies, and checking on the Wi-Fi level up come in handy :amuse

36. Serp Prince Mod Targaryen Moderator

:shifty what is this wi-fi lv up u speak of

37. Shiranui Nullius in verba

yes do tell. i thought rare candies were considered bad while ev training

38. Judgemento It's a duck

>_> When we fight in Wi-Fi we have the option of "lv 50" we choose lv 50 and you can check your IV's. Better than using 50 rare candies or day care.

39. Serp Prince Mod Targaryen Moderator

aaah i never thought of using that, that way smart asses :notrust

40. Shiranui Nullius in verba

good now i just have to find someone willing to keep on fighting me just so i can see my pokemons stats over and over.....I know i'll annoy my cousin :)

41. Silent Storm Active Member

Bumping for good faith.

42. Shiranui Nullius in verba

Ok Silent Storm(and everyone out there)This is my new party plz help me.

CSSalamence:
    Draco Meteor
    Flamethrower
    Rock Slide/Dragon Pulse
    Ariel Ace

Blissy: (Special Shield) OR Lucario
    Counter
    Captivate
    Thunder Wave
    Endure

Alakazam: (Special Sweeper)
    Psycic
    Thunderpunch
    Fire Punch
    Ice Punch

Infernape:
    Flare Blitz
    Close Combat
    Grass Knot
    Earthquake

Starmie:
    Ice Beam
    Surf
    Thunderbolt
    Psycic

Ryperior:
    Stone Edge
    Mega Horn
    Earthquake
    Swords Dance/Crunch

plz help me...also i am still in the era of R/S(special move wise)

43. Silent Storm Active Member

Please state the EV's and natures.

44. Shiranui Nullius in verba

CSMence ~ Lonely (Sp. Attack, Speed, Attack)

Blissy ~ Calm (Sp. Defence, HP, Defence)

Alakazam ~ Bold (Hp,Sp. Attack, Speed)

Infernape ~ Lonely(Attack,Sp Attack, Speed)

Starmie ~ Mild(Sp. Attack, Sp. Defence, Hp)

Ryperior ~ Adamant(Attack, Hp, Sp Defence)

45. Silent Storm Active Member

Please stat the numbers of the EV's (example 252 attack, 252 speed, 4HP)

46. Shiranui Nullius in verba

CSMence ~ Lonely (Sp. Attack:252, Speed:252, Attack:4)

Blissy ~ Calm (Sp. Defence:252, HP:252, Defence:4)

Alakazam ~ Bold (Hp:252,Sp. Attack:252, Speed:4)

Infernape ~ Lonely(Attack:252,Sp Attack:252, Speed:4)

Starmie ~ Mild(Sp. Attack:252, Sp. Defence:252, Hp:4)

Ryperior ~ Adamant(Attack:252, Hp:252, Sp Defence:4)

47. Silent Storm Active Member

Did you just copy and paste the example I gave for listing the EV's, cause that what it looks like.

Also did you EV train your pokemon, and forget to note the EV's down.

48. Shiranui Nullius in verba

no what i did was i keept on breeding till i got the Nature that I thought suited my pokemon...They arent finished yet..still Ev training them....the only pokemon i got from the First page was Infernape.

49. Duy Nguyen Turtlin'

You might want to ask more people, since I suck at Pokemon. Watch out for Weavile, it might come in and out to threaten Alakazam, Starmie, Blissey, and Salamence. Can't say much else since I'm not very good at analyzing counters and stuff like that. Just play through experience and please you need to relook at your EV spreads and a couple of your movesets.

Go here X to check out some of the EV and movepool spreads.

50. Shiranui Nullius in verba

ok thanxs i will try to re-assemble it in this fashion tonight...