1. The Konoha Kennel is back! As a subsection to the Chatterbox, discuss your favorite fauna-related topics at a fun and laid-back pace. From animals to zoos, it's your one-stop destination for critter lovers!

Stephen Kings The Dark Tower Series

Discussion in 'Reader's Corner' started by NeophyteNihilist, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Corruption The Sword in the Darkness

You have remembered the face of your father. Eddie is awesome!

2. CrazyMoronX Old Man

My father's face is humorous, framed with bushy eyebrows and adorned with a bulbous nose.

3. Cyphon Brotherhood of the Beard

Just finished up The Waste Lands.

A solid book. I find that this series isn't really a page turner full of exciting things but it is still an enjoyable read. Of every series I have read this would probably fall near the bottom but that isn't necessarily a bad thing given how much I like a lot of the books I read.

Anyway, one of my favorite parts of this book was right near the end when Roland bitch slapped the train into submission. I enjoyed the addition of Oy as well. I always like pet companions. Definitely some solid moments but in general it was just okay.

We shall see what the next installment brings.

4. CrazyMoronX Old Man

In terms of page-turneredness I think Wastelands is near the top. It's certainly the best book.

The first book is dead last.

5. Cyphon Brotherhood of the Beard

I did forget to mention that I liked the art in the third book much better than the second.

6. CrazyMoronX Old Man

I think there is different sets of art in different series of books.

I've seen all kinds of it on the Internet, but I have only seen a few in books.

7. Cyphon Brotherhood of the Beard

This one had a picture of Skardix the bear, the old folks blessing Roland, the evil house trying to eat jake, the bird-like creatures eating some other type of animal in the valley, Susannah riding Rolands shoulders and shooting at the bear etc.....

The last book had mainly pictures of Eddie and Roland as well as one of the Lobstrosities. IMO it was all pretty ugly which I think it was kind of meant to be a very gritty type of art.

8. CrazyMoronX Old Man

I didn't see either of those. :-(

Jealous.

9. Whimsy .

The Waste lands was my favourite too

10. The Bite of the She-Wolf Luther

That book has like two different sets of paintings. I think I have both (through the I-III softcovers boxset and the hardcover reprints), and like both, though Roland stepping on a lobstrosity looks better without the photorealism. Roland shooting that guy's knife off his hand was neat like that though.

11. BatoKusanagi NaruHina: The Last Movie

I've read them all, and think it's a masterpiece. My favorite one is the Gunslinger because you could see Stephen's style before it was as developed as it is now and that first line is epic: "The Man in Black fled across the Desert, and the Gunslinger followed"

12. CrazyMoronX Old Man

I liked book 2 the most because it had the most sci-fi elements.

13. Cyphon Brotherhood of the Beard

Just finished up Wizard and Glass.

IMO, easily the best book of the series so far. This is the first one I was really hooked into and just wanting to see what came next. The longest book and probably the one I read at the fastest pace.

I really liked seeing into Rolands past and meeting Cuthbert and Seemie especially. It honestly made me want to get more detail about his past than I do about the main story looking ahead. Which kind of sucks because I am assuming there won't be much more in that regard, at least in so much detail.

This book had a lot of good scenes as well. The early bar standoff with the 3 Coffins. The stuff with Rhea was pretty freaky. The ambushes at the end and Susan being burned in the fire while Roland watched. Yeah......This book definitely stands a bit apart from the others.

I didn't like the art in this book. Kind of went back to the feel it had in book 2. There was one picture I really liked though.

14. Corruption The Sword in the Darkness

Wizard and Glass was my favorite so far too. I just finished Wolves of the Calla. There were some parts I really liked, but I thought it took too long to get to the central plot of the book.

The first 4 books I got in a box set, there was no art. Wolves of the Calla had art and I got the last 2 books on my kindle, so nothing there.

Overall I'm enjoying the series, but I think I would like it even more if I read the other Stephen King novels that it crosses into.

15. Slice Dangerous

Best for me was 'The Wastelands' followed closely by 'The Drawing of the three' (is that the correct name for the second book?)

After reading the Wastelands i was so hyped for this series and then had to wait years until 'Wizard and Glass' finally was released. I think i might rate the fourth higher if i had read them back to back.

Fifth onward had a steady decline in quality. They were still good but lacked the epic feel.
    Also even years after reading them i am still not happy with some decissions King made for the storytelling in books 6+7.

All of my books are without any art.

16. Corruption The Sword in the Darkness

That's understandable. Were you expecting it not to mostly be a flashback? It didn't progress the main story much, but the parts with Blaine and Walter were pretty cool.

Isn't the new book out or is coming out really soon?

17. Cyphon Brotherhood of the Beard

Just finished up Wolves of the Calla.

Another good one IMO. W&G is still my favorite but this one may be 2nd at this point or possibly 3rd. If I ever read through this series again and I could probably make a final decision on that.

My big complaint here is the ease at which the climax (battle) happens. They make it sound like it is such a hard thing to plan and accomplish and they go through all of that stuff in town for almost a month to form their plan and then it is just super easy. Of course you expect as much because Gunslingers are supposed to be amazing but it gets kind of annoying for them to act like they need help. They way the battle happened I feel like the 4 Gunslingers could have easily handled it on their own. Pretty stupid IMO.

Anyway I did enjoy the reading getting to that point and even enjoyed reading the battle. I just think it was all kind of pointless looking back.

18. Cyphon Brotherhood of the Beard

Song of Susannah is now finished.

This series has definitely grown on me from the beginning. I am still not sure how much I will want to reread it in the future but the possibility of that has certainly risen. Although, this book was a slight step back. I found everything but Susannah/Mia parts interesting and theirs at points I was just trying to rush through to get back to the other characters. So this one is kind of a toss up for where it will land in the overall scheme of where I rank them.

One of my favorite parts was the store shootout with Eddie and Roland handeling business once again. Probably one of the better moments in the whole series. Also liked Jake and Callahan during the taxi incident and everything in that whole chapter. Especially as they were approaching the final steps when the chapter was ending. Jake was pretty cool.

Now onto the finale.

19. masamune1 Crouching Tiger

Be interesting to see how you feel about the last one.

Its the one book in the series mostly like to elicit....opinions.

20. CrazyMoronX Old Man

I forgot all about the new book. Is that out yet? :hmm

21. Cyphon Brotherhood of the Beard

What order would you all rank the books?

22. kazuri Kugutsu-shi

Wizard and glass > Wolves of Calla > Drawing of Three > The Waste Lands > The Gunslinger > Song of Susannah > Dark Tower

Hated how it ended. Not even the 'real' ending, but the endings leading up to that I thought were pretty stupid and cop-out ish. The actual ending was ok.. but the resolution of multiple things before that just sucked dick.

23. Slice Dangerous

I think the ending (after Kings ranting interlude) is great. But as you said everything else not so much.

I'm still not over the fact that King resorted to a deus ex machine solution, i thought years of writing experience help prevent such things.

24. Cyphon Brotherhood of the Beard

Finished the final book. Such a long journey it was. I am going to miss the Gunslinger :(

This book had a lot of pain in it as I read. Eddie and Jake's deaths and especially Oys :cry

Most of it was enjoyable to read. I didn't care for the ending(s) though. They were kind of a letdown and took away from the overall appeal of the series by being so and the book as well. Definitely wasn't digging the endings.

25. Corruption The Sword in the Darkness

There's still The Wind Through the Keyhole that came out a month ago if you haven't read it.

26. CrazyMoronX Old Man

27. familyparka Δᴺᴻᴬᴯᴱᵀᴴ > You

I have been thinking for quite a while now on start reading this series. Could anyone recommend it and tell me a quick summary of what's it about?

No spoilers please!

28. Corruption The Sword in the Darkness

Taken from Stephen King's website, if you're still interested in reading it.

"The Dark Tower series tells the story of Roland Deschain, Mid-World?s last gunslinger, who is traveling southeast across Mid-World?s post-apocalyptic landscape, searching for the powerful but elusive magical edifice known as The Dark Tower. Located in the fey region of End-World, amid a sea of singing red roses, the Dark Tower is the nexus point of the time-space continuum. It is the heart of all worlds, but it is also under threat. Someone, or something, is using the evil technology of the Great Old Ones to destroy it.

In Roland?s where and when, the world has already begun to move on. Time and direction are in drift, and the fabric of reality is fraying. However, things are about to get much worse. The six invisible magnetic Beams, which maintain the alignment of time, space, size, and dimension, are weakening. Because of this, the Tower itself is foundering. Unless Roland can find a way to save the Beams and stabilize the Tower, all of reality will blink out of existence.

Inspired in equal parts by Robert Browning?s poem, ?Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came,? J.R.R. Tolkein?s Lord of the Rings, and Sergio Leone?s spaghetti Western classics, The Dark Tower series is an epic of Arthurian proportions. It is Stephen King?s magnum opus, and is the center of his amazing creative universe."

29. masamune1 Crouching Tiger

Cowboy looks for ominous black tower in a post-apocalyptic futuristic wasteland.

And magic.

30. Slice Dangerous

Back then when i first read it it had me at "cowboy" and "post apocalyptic". :amuse

Has anyone here read the new book? I'm still waiting for the translated version (since i own all other books in German).

31. Corruption The Sword in the Darkness

I have, I liked it. Don't read it expecting it to add much to the overall story. It does add some more Mid-World lore and you get to see more of Roland's past. It's a story, within a story, within a story.

32. Magnum Miracles Grand King

I'm gonna be as honest as I can be here.

Wizard & Glass is boring me to tears. I really liked the first 100 pages of the book, but the flashback started and it seems everything is going down the shitter.

Overall, I am very disappointed for how low this series has gotten.

33. Corruption The Sword in the Darkness

Wizard and Glass is the best book IMO, despite it mostly being a flashback.

34. DocTerror Member

That is by far my favorite book in the series. Its after that that the series goes downhill into a giant shit.

35. Misao away fighting dragons

One of my favorites authors of the genre. Par to par with H.P. Lovecraft. I have read a lot of books from this Sir, but I think I've missed The Dark Tower series, which is a shame since it seems to have positive feedback from some people. I might start soon.