1. The Konoha Kennel is back! As a subsection to the Chatterbox, discuss your favorite fauna-related topics at a fun and laid-back pace. From animals to zoos, it's your one-stop destination for critter lovers!

So Danzo = root of all evil?

Discussion in 'Konoha Library' started by Naruto Fighto, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Naruto Fighto Active Member

I mean, Kabuto was influenced by Danzo and Orochimaru the most into becoming what he is. Oro formed Kabuto almost completely, but let us not forget that Danzo was the initiator.

Also, I think Oro's ruthless personality and disregard for what is good and what is wrong is thanks to Danzo at least partially.

But from where did Danzo pick up that kind of thinking? Is he simply a bad seed, and did all these things because it was his nature or was he formed into becoming evil somehow?

Because when we look at Konoha ninjas, in general they don't want to start fights and care for well being of others. Suigetsu even commented that Sasuke is a typical Leaf ninja when Sasuke didn't want to kill anyone which means they are known for being merciful. Especially characters like Hashirama, Hiruzen, Kakashi and others.
    So I just wonder why was Danzo so fucked up that he influenced many others in a negative way?

2. Glutamminajr Proud Poster

Interesting question.Mmm...at the moment the only one that comes to my mind is Madara.
    Maybe his persona had a certain influence on someone like Danzou who at some point chose a different "way of ninja" from Hiruzen.

3. Combine For Science

He's certainly had his hands in all the pies it seems. We know he has connection, or influenced

Orochimaru
    Kabuto
    Nagato, Yahiko and Konan
    Itachi
    Sasuke
    Tobi

So yeah, he's definitely had a part to play in the development of almost all the major antagonists of the series.

4. Nikushimi Savior

Danzou was one of those guys who thought the end justifies the means; as long as he kept his home safe and stable, he was willing to do anything regardless of the human cost.

5. Champion It's always a 50/50

He's not evil, you should stop looking at him as good or bad.
    He is amoral and only driven by the goals of stability and security.

Is it wrong to torture people if their information will save lives?
    Is it wrong to kill someone if they are a threat?
    Is it wrong to manipulate people to protect an entire village?

6. Random Stranger Active Member

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

-Danzo

7. Naruto Fighto Active Member

I think loving ones country is a virtue, but when does a virtue become a sin? I believe there are defined limits to everything. Most characters from Konoha that we know of wouldn't go so low as Danzo did.
    So I was just wondering how come he turned out like this and started some hard core ninja drill, he seems more like an exception.

8. ovanz ______

Everyone got pimped by danzo yeah.

Medic fodder kabuto = become nerdragon villain.

Sissy nagato = was force to use deva pain awesomeness.

Itachi = Itachi but with a baddass reputation for killing his family.

I still think Tobi >> Danzo, at being evil, Danzo was pimp for the sake of the village, tobi is just doing it for whatever reason.

The reason for uchiha being killed was because tobi release the kyuubi and that also made naruto a jinjuuriki.

9. Litho Active Member

Nonono. It's obvious throughout the manga, that the cause for all suffering is the system. It's because of the system that Danzo does -in his eyes, has to do- what he does.

10. gumby2ms Doesn't want a Custom Title

basically what I was going to quote. ^2nded

11. Naruto Fighto Active Member

Well that is probably what Kishi is trying to do here. But even with the system, as brutal as it is, there are no ninjas like Danzo. Even in other villages.
    If everyone was like him, the alliance wouldn't work. Most other characters we have seen are fairly decent, they have their limits at how far they are willing to go.

12. Marsala The Ice-Cream Man Cometh Advisor

It's possible that Danzou was one of Madara's students before he went rogue, just as Hiruzen was one of Hashirama's students before he died.

Danzou also adopted the kill-your-closest-friend training method derived from the Uchiha clan, which Tobi also brought to the Bloody Mist.

13. ovanz ______

Yeah i too belive that, sarutobi was trained by hashirama or follow more his ideals, while danzo follow the ideals of tobirama/madara.

14. Nikushimi Savior

Danzou...the "Root" of all evil.

I see what you did there. :maybe

15. Orochibuto Well-Known Member

Even Orochimaru was more humane than Danzo. In the end his "national security" shit only damaged Konoha more, see edo tensei. Thanks to him Kabuto became Kabutomaru which resulted in edo tensei which resulted in edo Madara which resulted in Kages being currently raped and thousands of deaths.

16. Summers look at my sig

Damn right he is the root of all evil, the main failed hard at protecting Konoha. Hell the one chance he had to show some balls, he hid in his cave with his emotionless pawns. He later goes on to diss everyone who gave their all actually protecting the village.

17. Dream hero and villain Administrator

That's certainly possible. :hmm

18. BroKage Active Member

I think we're forgetting Oro's evils here.

He experimented on babies, kidnapped random people for his own interests, used loyal followers as sacrificial pawns, started war for entertainment purposes, stole bodies, raised the dead and had them face loved ones, and even ordered his prisoners to kill eachother just so he could find out which was the strongest.

The guy was evil incarnate. Danzo's just a paranoid jerk by comparison.

19. Orochibuto Well-Known Member

Dont you think the bolded part may have to do with Danzo's influence?

Oro gave freaks a place where they belonged, I cant remember a single good action feat from Danzo, and oh boy....... had he really survived and became alliance leader the alliance would most likely be facing a way more pissed off and bloodlusted Kabuto.

In the long run he even put in risk the entire world, it is thanks to him edo tensei is soloing the war in the first place, it is thanks to him we have a villain who at full power could only be matched by RS (Kabuto with all his edo army) and then he planned to brainwash the alliance into making him leader.

Imagine the consequences of that, you wouldnt be seeing Madara playing with the Kages, you would be seeing a bloodlusted Kabuto who made Madara to throw a meteor shower.

You have to question how of a villain he was when his mere presence would had been enough to potentially massively amplify the bad guys and if not outright guarantee a win for them.

20. BroKage Active Member

You're right. Danzo's "your only bond is with the village" teachings might've damaged Oro's ability to feel compassionate for other peoples' connections.

Oro did seem a bit sad when Nawaki died, so it's not like he was always this uncaring.

21. iFlappyNuts New Member

Isn't it ironic that Danzo's only goal is to protect Konoha yet through his actions he's indirectly gotten Konoha almost destroyed countless times. Let's not forget about how he's the cause behind Kabuto who turned into Kabuto + Oro which then edo-tensei'd every god damn legendary shinobi including madara who annihilated the 5 kages. So yeah, I think he is evil. Enjoy the rest of your life as a pathetic tree that hopefully someone will cut down to build a boat.:)

22. Revy baebaeGAReeb<3

Danzo for FV-oh that's right.He's dead.:(
    Damn you Kishi.:pek

23. Toqtimur Member

I wouldn't say Danzo, so much as it is the screwed up ninja system he was a product of. Danzo did influence many events but ultimately his worldview came from having to work with and control a system where alliances would constantly shift and sometime have to do unspeakable things. Granted many of these unspeakable things trying to blackmailing shinobi into service like Kabuto's "mom", killing the Uchiha's and forcing Itachi to take the blame, and trying to create covert alliances with people like Hanzo did a hell alot more harm to Konoha than good.

24. Last Rose of Summer Active Member

Danzo had his own problems with accepting that - acording to his pops - shinobi should sacrifice themselves. As unwilling to do it himself, he excpected others to follow self-destructive path, so he could get a feeling of being "supervisor" of this duty. Hence his disregard of lives and wishes of people in ROOT.

As for who could have inspired him: this here is the guy, who proposed shinobi should repress their feelings and put rules above everything: X

25. PikaCheeka wants to believe

He was Tobirama's student.

26. Nep Nep Bedpost-Kun

Hah! You said root, and Danzo founded root!

Anyways...

In this manga there seems to be only two ways of thinking, Jesus Ninja style or Realistic Ninja style. Danzo was a real ninja in thought process.

Story wise? He probably comes from the older sons line. That guy's an asshole didn't you know?

27. Weapon Laura Palmer

Danzo was influenced by Tobirama.

28. Combine For Science

It really sucks that Danzo was killed off too early to be a sacrificial lamb for Sasuke. Even worse was that it was pretty much for "nothing" since Sasuke's feelings of revenge seemingly have gone away. It could have been cool to have seen what Danzo would have done during the War arc (probably a hell of a lot more interesting than what we got).

That's one thing I really hate about Kishi's writing style and how he loves to add stuff about characters who already are no longer a part of the plot. Adding all the stuff about Kabuto and Oro would have been more useful to know before Danzo died. Same deal as adding the Nagato = Uzumaki stuff after he died, what purpose does it serve if it makes no difference to the current plot?

With the more recent revelations I've often wondered if Orochimaru's more twisted ideals and such were partly due or perhaps borne from his time serving in Root and learning from Danzo.

29. takL unfit 4

yep. hash mentioned of konohas darkness as if it was his fault but in fact konohas darkness is mostly from danzo.

30. ℜai Well-Known Member

Danzo - Darkness of the Shinobi.:blinditachi

31. BroKage Active Member

Danzo is kinda like an ultimate evil of the Narutoverse; he had a hand in provoking most major villains of the series, and as mentioned he's even called the "Darkness of the Shinobi".

He's basically a living symbol of the crooked ninja system, defending it as a necessary evil while exploiting it for his own benefit. And unlike most other major villains, he didn't turn evil because he was screwed over by some other villain, but because of his own insecurities and grudges.

Meanwhile Nagato, Kabuto, Itachi, and Sasuke were all soured by his actions when they'd have otherwise been peaceful happy people. Orochimaru might eventually be included in that list as well, since he was in Root before he betrayed Konoha and we don't know his full backstory yet.

And we still don't know what relation Danzo had to the Bloody Mist village; depending on that he may have messed up Obito's life too. :LOS

As was Madara, which would take things full circle and make Tobirama the root of all evil. :zaru

32. mlc818 end war!

But what shaped Danzo? Itachi was the "root" of Sasuke's evil, "Death" is the root of Orochimaru's, "War" is the root of Nagato's, and so on. Surely there are some people in the world who are "evil": sociopaths. There are others, extremists and nationalists and violent selfish thieves, that will act "evil" as well. But everyone has a reason for their actions, even if it is insanity or suffering or indoctrination or greed or(...). If there is "evil" it is in the flaws (or "sins") of man, rather than in any individual man himself.

33. Revy baebaeGAReeb<3

So much blame being put on Tobirama.:geg
    Perhaps he should have let Danzo take the suicide mission instead.:zaru

34. anon04 Member

Yes I wonder too, there must be certain turn of events which must have been reflected on danzo's personality. Probably it's around the same time when Danzo met Hanzo who was also seeking the title of "supreme ruler" of ninja world. The mutual interest brought them to join hands.This is when Hanzo betrayed the newly formed Yahiko's akatsuki who were pursuing a peace proposal with Hanzo in amegakure and Hanzo then discovered nagato with rinnegan as a result of confrontation.

But the question is who or what "changed" danzo so much? so as to go that far as to use humans (specially the inhabitants of your own village) as test subjects for dna transplantations which were of course conducted by none other than orochimaru and it's pretty much evident that danzo and orochimaru had some secret pact even after parting ways which allowed them to share data of those dna transplantions

imho it may sound as a mere speculation at this stage considering the circumstances but my intuition tells me that danzo must have been influenced somehow by Uchiha Shisui's Kotoamatsukami. It's the only possible explanation I have when I feel that danzo wasn't a bad guy at least originally.

Someone or "Something" changed his perception for eternity which incited him to undertake such reprehensible actions. Madara's or tobi's TSJ / mind control would also work but I have doubts that some veteran like danzo could be manipulated that easily.
    Now people will also argue that shisui was a good guy and all but look where it came from? It came from a person who I think was mentally retarded / confused himself "the great uchiha itachi"

One interesting point I should add here. Danzo enforced the same rules in root as were enforced in kirigakure (then the blood mist village) around the time when Yagura was the kage.
    and Ao stated that the mind control technique used to delude Yagura was similar to Shisui's.

35. asstonine Banned

Again, what series are you watching? He didn't do anything for the village... He was jealous, and wanted power, and didn't care who he had to sacrifice to get it.

36. Zaelapolopollo Master of the Fates of Arda

Danzo would have defeated Kabuto with a look. You might remember his top priority was to kill Kabuto right after the Kage Summit.
    Thanks a lot Sasuke.

And Orochimaru eats SOULS. I'm pretty sure that's a special kind of evil. Danzo's victims at least have the chance for eternal rest but if Oro had his way, he'd live for the rest of eternity, swallowing up people's very existences and keeping tehm trapped forever.