1. The Konoha Kennel is back! As a subsection to the Chatterbox, discuss your favorite fauna-related topics at a fun and laid-back pace. From animals to zoos, it's your one-stop destination for critter lovers!

Shikamaru, Ino, and Choji vs Asuma

Discussion in 'Naruto Battledome' started by Kushina, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Kushina Puppy Love~

Who wins? Students or Teacher? XD

Distance: 200m

2. Violent by Design Active Member

Shika, Ino & Chouji win. Shika knows every move Asuma will do.

3. Zach ̧

I'll have to go with InoShikaCho, it wouldn't be hard for Shikamaru to use shadow possesion and Ino uses Mind transfer to win.

4. Olympian Active Member

Asuma takes it.

Shika`s shadows arent fast enough as long Asuma doesnt stand still, and he equally knows how his students think and react. Hes better in nearly every department.

And well, basically, after Shika is out cold, the other two wont take long.

5. Dman That's fucking bueno

asuma loses.while he has to dodge all 3 of them(shika's shadow,choji's roll,and ino's mind possesion)eventually one will get him

it will probobly be shikamaru that catches him,then choji lands one very powerful hit to finish him.

even if asuma uses jutsu,he may only beat down ino or choji.

however alone asuma>>>>all these guys

6. xEzekiel15 Sakura is #1!

Asuma's done for. Asuma is a pretty good shinobi, but Shikamaru is no man to mess with, no matter how skilled you are.

Shikamaru has a plan for battle any way it hits him, and with Ino's mind abilities/healing abilities, and Choji's human boulder, expansion/food pills, I don't see how they can lose this.

Shikamaru can use Choji's boulder or expansion to keep Asuma on his toes, Choji gets Asuma to land just where Shikamaru wants him to, Shikamaru successfully lands a shadow possession, allowing Ino to finish it with mind transfer.

7. Grimmjowsensei True Hokage

Shika solos with prep time.

8. Soul Agent of Justice

Overkill in favor of the students.

Shikamaru has knowledge of Asuma, so he can devise a plan very quickly. I could see Shikamaru soloing Asuma with difficulty.

9. Aburame Ino Banned

Ino-chan solo!
    no really, shikamaru wins on his own! Asuma sensei is no big feat! Goooo team Ino!

10. Olympian Active Member

Shika is only nearly unbeatable with prep, not a head on battle, and without a single one of them being as fast as Asuma is, i find somewhat exagerated the credit the team is given against the guy who teached them.

Ino, especially, being the weak link she is, will be out in no time. She only uses one jutsu, and she will likely be the first to be targeted given the nature of said jutsu.

Mind you, i can see any team of the rookies, stealing some wins against each teacher, especially with the numbers game, but hardly the majority. The teachers will always have the main advantages of knowing each of theyre students as well, and having better abilities than each one of them, to begin with.

Shika whinning a head-on match against his sensei alone? No way hes that good.

11. Aburame Ino Banned

Ino is no weak link! you are crazy!

12. Zach ̧

Shikamaru is a genius it wouldn't be hard for him to come up with a plan to catch Asuma in it and then it's over. Also Shikamaru has surpassed Asuma as the new generation surpassing the old so Shika could probably solo.

13. Kushina Puppy Love~

Ino isn't weak. :\

All three of them have strengths and weaknesses. Asuma, IMO, is the worst teacher in terms of fighting ability of the 4 Jounin. Shikamaru could solo.

14. Olympian Active Member

Of the whole team? Shes the one that grew up less in terms of power and efficiency.

Please read what i wrote, properly.

I didnt called her "weak". I said she was the weak "link" of this team.

And you got so offended by what you misread that you type something so incorrect as this?

Really, even if i didnt belived by what i have read in the Manga, that Asuma wasent overall above Base Gai (wich i do, for the record), there is is simply no way he would be below Kurenai, both in power and figthing ability, to begin with.

His intelect works best when hes got time to study and prep against his opponent. Badly for him, Asuma belongs to a group of nin who is cleary faster than he is, and knows how he operates.

I wont say they cant take some wins, but with the exception of team 7, the other teams havent displayed overall power to surpass and decisivly defeat the senseis. And thats only because team 7, are the protagonists of this manga, and are the ones who are written with the biggest power increases, and at a faster rate than nearly anyone else.

Thats something wich meaning is so subjective and vague that i dont feel is worth actually mentioning in a battle thread.

Really, how many nin have surpassed the 1rst Hokage, just because they belong to a younger generation?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  15. Dracule Mihawk Untouchable

I'm assuming no Prep for Shika which causes his team to lose quite quickly. Asuma simply outclasses his students in terms of strength and his wind powered jutsu.

16. Gentle Fist B-Rock's Homeboy

ShikaInoCho wins this one, Shika will out manuever Asuma w the help of his teamates pretty easily, w/ Choji landing the winning blow as Asuma stands lifeless because of SHikas shadow bind

17. Olympian Active Member

Thats my take. Team 7 is the exception, not the norm.

Give Shika prep, however, and the song plays another tune. His prep is the big x factor.

18. xEzekiel15 Sakura is #1!

I thought this was Team 10?
    :p

19. Amatérasu’s Son Spring is in the air...and I'm sneezing.

InoShikaCho.

Though Shikamaru is best with prep time, he is capable of thinking on his feet. Ino isn't useless, she's a medic nin now, so that extends their survivability in this fight. Choji is very useful in this fight, as giant Choji is a problem for "normal" ninja. That could distract Asuma long enough either for Shikamaru to develop a foolproof strategy (which shouldn't take long as he's extremely familiar with the target), or for him to trap him in a shadow.

As we haven't seen Asuma in a lot of fights, it's difficult to get the full breadth of his abilities, but what we've seen doesn't hand him the victory here.

20. Zach ̧

Also Shikamaru knows how Asuma operates so he will be able to outsmart him.
    I believe Shikamaru showed this when fighting Hidan, of course he had prep time and knowledge but Asuma pretty much only has his fuuton blades to fight which he will eventually be caught by kage mane(shadow posseion) while Ino uses Mind Transfer to kill him or Choji uses a human boulder to kill him while he is caught in the shadow.

It depends if your one of those people who think Shodai>the narutoverse then there is no hope for this but I'll try The only glimpse of Shodai's power was the Edo Tensei version which I think is equal to the real one, maybe slightly stronger since he has emotions and can have battle strategies. As shown Sandaime has surpassed him. Minato, Jiraiya, Orochimaru, Pain, the list goes on the hightiers are much different than the ones back then as Madara is much stronger than the Madara back then, I mean why wouldn't he be when he had 100 years of extra time to get stronger.

21. SalamanderHanzou Blinfolded, I could kill a(n)

I agree with this analysis. Shikamaru was shown to have extensive preparation for only one of his battles, but for some reason people seem to think that he is only effective after days of creating a strategy.

The whole reason he became a chuunin before all others in his class was because the higher ups recognized his ability quickly devise an effective plan that maximizes his teammates' abilities while minimizing risk to both his squad and the mission. Since then, he's only grown.

Ino-Shika-Chou have been a team for a long time, they are a well-oiled machine and know each other very well. As mentioned by Amaterasu's Son, the other members are not slouches either. Specifically as a part of that trio, their skills are synergistic.

The knowledge thing is fairly equal in my eyes, both sides would know quite a bit about their opponent(s).

Asuma would have a hard time handling the numbers in my opinion. It's no slight to him or his abilities, but fighting 1v3 for almost any matchup is daunting. Not only that, but from what we have seen, he has yet to showcase any skills that I think would make this a clear victory for him. The only thing is that there is probably a good reason that he has such a massive bounty on his head, but whatever that reason is, we haven't seen it.

Ino-Shika-Chou would take this.

22. The777Man Soaring Through The Sky

Shikamaru could solo by outwitting Asuma. :edu

23. Olympian Active Member

It goes both ways. Asuma in character doesnt tend to lose time in a match.

What is undeniable for me, is, Shika only really showed great strategy thinking on his feet (to adress the other poster) when the opponent was standing still, or he was in the "background". Against someone who knows how he operates, and whose style isent to stand and talk, the likeness of him creating a major strategy on the go against Asuma is lower.

They steal wins, that much i agree.

The difference with the Hidan example, is that, Shika prepped against pretty much any single move beforehand. And Hidan is a one trick poney, in that hes mostly useless without his main jutsu (and im not calling him weak either), im saying without the cheapness of his ritual, he changes from a overconfident sadic, to a guy that looks like he doesnt know what he will really do. Thats why knowlege puts him in such peril, not because he will automatically lose, but because the chances of that happening increase by the miles.

Not the same with Asuma. He doesnt really lose anything just because you know of his wind jutsu, since you (anyone on this team anyway) dont really "turn it off" like the ritual, just because they know about it. Its not as easily disabled.

The other main problem is that the other squads, with the exception of team 7, havent got major power increases to easily match the Jounin lvl of speed and striking power. Shika already showed he doesnt easily deal with someone like Hidan and Asuma moving around while figthing. And the other two look even slower. This is a probem, because Asuma in-character, always used his speed to good measure in every encounter he had. Against the Sound nin, against Kisame, to block Kazoku and against Hidan.

I didnt really see the Saidaime look stronger than any of the other two Hokages, or anything, but discounting the difference of opinions, what you are giving me its a list of exceptions, not a rule.

Jiraiya isent more powerful than his sensei and neither is Kakashi, to bring more examples. And i hardly count Oro as more powerful than his sensei was as well. That whole catchphrase of generations being more powerful as they go, is a fiction staple, and can have alot of meanings and most of them not literal.

In Manga it can happen to be more literal, Dragonball, for example have the new generation of Human figthers being more powerful and better than any previous generation would ever dream on, but in DB the whole power increase is VERY literal and a straight A, B, C logic.

Not so in Naruto, considering that currently, we only really have two main examples, who not oddly at all, are the protagonists: Sasuke and Naruto.

All this to say that the catchphrase doesnt automatically translate to everyone and Shika certainly isent above Asuma as of yet.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009