1. The NF rules of conduct have been updated in response to the Xenforo upgrade. Please review them here.
  2. Discussion for the forum medals contest is happening here. Please drop in and give your input.
  3. Please vote in the following contest threads: AOTW MIRROR, SOTW MIRROR

Rinne Tensei & Edo Tensei

Discussion in 'Konoha Library' started by Rikudou No Sennin, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Rikudou No Sennin Jounin

I'm I the only one that hates this Jutsu along with Edo Tensei?. It just doesn't feel right. Takes away all the seriousness and deaths in Naruto making you doubt if they'll be dead for good. And it all started with Pain invasion. Followed by Its sorta sister type of Jutsu (Edo Tensie). It's like Kishi is playing God theme in this manga. So I'm I the only one that hates those two ugly Jutsus?

2. Lord Valgaav My fries

Edo Tensei is a fan service tool. But Rinne Tensei is cool.

3. Rain Banned

Edo Tensei is fine since it doesn't actually let them be normal humans again.

Rinne Tensei, though is just :facepalm

4. iJutsu Active Member

So you don't mind Chiyo's revival tech then? It doesn't even require rinnegan. It doesn't even require life if you have a massive source of chakra. Even if the soul is attached to a bijuu, extracted, and sealed inside Gedo Mazo, it will still revive the target just fine.

5. Yagami Light Lord Kira

Edo tensei came first, not rinne tensei

6. Scarlet Ammo Active Member

It gives human beings the power of God. Of course it sucks :geg
    They're essentially the dragon balls.... only in jutsu form...
    I'd rather have a hell arc than having the Edo Tensei.

7. Chibi Kaguya Unknown

When Nagato stated his resolve to Naruto and used it, it kinda fitted in that situation and went nicely and as much as I love Neji I don't want him revived (now your chance Hinata to step up :hurr.) but yeah if the same thing keeps repeating it will be annoying

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  8. Kai R I N N I N G Moderator

At least with Edo Tensei one may end, pause, reverse, or restrain the reincarnated bodies/jutsu. Character flaws may also be explored with Edo Tensei and its effects on personality.

Rinne Tensei has no such limitations stopping its success let alone any limitations at all towards the revived. We have Kakashi who is literally a walking Jesus.

Ironically, even if the Rin'negan is far more scarce than Chiyo's jutsu, there have been far more Rin'negans than Chiyo's in this manga. Every Rin'negan user has a potential to use Rinne Tensei. Chiyo, the only known user of her tensei jutsu, is dead.

9. Danzio The Chosen One

It's a double-edged sword. Without Edo Tensei we wouldn't have witnessed the brilliance of epic characters like Troll Kage, Madara and Muu. They have all displayed awesome jutsus, character growth, plus they allowed us passage through different, more violent times.

On the other hand, it is less emotional. You don't feel like the majority of attacks are important or vital, because we as readers know that nothing short of sealing can put them down, which makes things less exciting during otherwise hectic battles.

As you said, we also don't know if characters who recently died would stay dead.

10. Frostman G.O.A.T (Greatest of all Time)

I think it was done intentionally. To make death hit a little harder. Kishi has us thinking that the dead will just be revived again with Rinne Tensei. But i wonder how long its going to take for people to accept that its not going to happen. And i think after this war, we are going to be able to compare the results and the mood to the results of the Pain invasion.

Edo Tensei was for pure fan service. It might have ruined some deaths, but it allowed Kishi to develop a few characters.

11. Turrin 玄武

Rinni Tensei I agree, but Edo Tensei I don't think takes away the serious of death. Being brought back as madman's puppet still pretty much sucks.

12. Dominus Active Member

I think Rikudō had the Gedō: Rinne Tensei no Jutsu, and he lived long before Tobirama...

13. Kronin World Saviour

I'm not able to see Edo Tensei like a real resurrection jutsu, just because the character that return to life are not really alive, more dead living, and their fate is that to return to the world were they belong. So for me the meaning of their death remain, just because that moment was really the end of thier presence in the world. You can see it also in their personalities, almost everyone consider their return on the living world like a nuisance, wishful to return as soon possibile in the afterlife not caring more for the worldy matters.

The Rinne Tensei (or also the Chyo's jutsu:"One's Own Life Reincarnation") is really a resurrection technique: anyway, differently from the dragon balls, the resurrection during the invasion of Pain was not intended to be a sort of correction to guarantee the right fate for those who have died (don't deserving it), rather a sort of reward for Naruto's efforts to learn to understand his enemy and not letting the dominance of his desire of revenge. Naruto didn't listen the revenge like Sasuke, neither the advises to destroy his enemy like said by Inoichi, and this choice later was what allowed Nagato to use the Rinne Tensei on Konoha's people. At the same time he can also seen like the desire to redemption of a character thorugh his sacrifice.

So yes, the Rinne Tensei is effectively a trick against the death, but it wasn't used in the manga only with this purpose, and probably the same will happen also in the end of the fourth war.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  14. Bruce Wayne Active Member

There has only been one pair of Rinnegan.

15. thinkingaboutlife Active Member

Edo Tensei doesn't even revive people, they are still dead.

16. Ryuzaki Moonlight ۷۸٦

Edo Tensei just reanimates the dead, Rinne Tensei actually brings their souls back to the plain.

17. Prince Vegeta What's the topic of discussion

Edo Tensei is pretty cool especially when Orochimaru uses it

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tESyhmTl0wQ[/YOUTUBE]

18. Kai R I N N I N G Moderator

The same pair of Rin'negan used by both Tobi and Nagato, as well as an extra pair of the same eyes when Madara was resurrected by Edo Tensei. Chiyo never had a legacy with her tensei jutsu.

19. MYJC Cunning Linguist

Edo Tensei is pretty cool. I have no problems with it because it doesn't actually bring the dead back to live, it just temporarily revives them as zombies and only lasts until they're unsummoned...usually anyway.

Rinne Tensei on the other hand I hate. You shouldn't be able to just flat out revive somebody. And at this point it makes you wonder whether or not any deceased character will actually stay dead.

20. vegeta2002 Empty 7

Neither one is as broken as a basic henge or kage bushin. Edo Tensei is cool because it has the potential to create awesome match-ups and Rinne Tensei is cool becuse it gives Obito leverage over Madara. They're both plot tools and this war needs a plot.

21. Godaime Kazekage Praise Minato!

Three, actually.

Rikudo's pair
    Madara's mortal pair
    Madara's immortal pair

22. LordsOFSlaem Member

Both jutsu are fvcking stupid. Rinne Tensei should of never been fvcking thought of, it's the mangas way of a fvcking cop out of a char's death. Piss poor writing, fvck it

23. Kaix Goodbye

You're actually kinda supposed to hate it, at least if you aren't a fan of a character that uses it. The author is kinda expressing that these jutsu are perversions of the natural order and therefore to be detested.

24. kyubix2 Member

go read superman comics kid ,they are more realistics.

25. Yagami Light Lord Kira

I think op meant as appearing in the manga, when he said we saw rinnei tensei first in the pain arc, then edo tensei, when edo tensei was in part one