1. The NF rules of conduct have been updated in response to the Xenforo upgrade. Please review them here.
  2. Please vote in the following contest threads: AOTW MIRROR, SOTW MIRROR, PSOTW MIRROR
  3. Discussion for the forum medals contest is happening here. Please drop in and give your input.

Race Topic: Do blacks have a physical advantage?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by tyheru, Jan 19, 2010.

1. tyheru Member

Blacks of West African decent have greater bone density, more lean muscle mass, more fast twitch muscle fibers, better eye sight, tougher skin, larger and stronger teeth, as well as more testosterone than whites. Does this make West African blacks physically superior to whites, hispanics or asians?

In the US, even though blacks make 12% of the population, they make 70% of all popular sports.

Even in places like Western Europe where the black population is relatively low, there are always a few black people who dominate in the more popular sports. They don't dominate by numbers, since there are not a lot of black people. But in England for example, even though blacks ara less than 3% of the population, 15% of them dominate in sports like soccer and rugby.

Oh and a little info on fast-twitch muscle fibers:

The study of biochemistry can lead to a more comprehensive understanding of muscular physiology and athletic performance. The fast twitch muscles rely mostly on glycogen and are better for sprints, jumping, or power-lifting. So a point guard who wins a slam dunk contest will have fast-twitch muscle. But such muscles are not built for endurance. So a point guard who can outsprint everyone in a basketball game will most likely not be able to finish the Hawaii Ironman Triathlon, the Leadville 100 miles run, or a speed ascent against Asian sherpas up Mt. Everest with an 80 lb backpack. Sprinters have explosive speed but not endurance.

By contrast, long-distance runners, triathletes, and Himalayan mountain climbers have slow twitch muscles that rely more on mitochondria rather than glycogen. The cells are more efficient for extremely long durations albeit at a slower pace. So the guy who won the Hawaii Ironman Triathlon most likely can't even dunk a ball or win a sprint at an SEC event. But he will win the marathon after the long swim and bike ride. I don't think a sprinter can even get to the finish line in the allotted time limit (~17 hours). They will just burn out.

In summary, slow twitch fibers are better for endurance but not sprints. Fast twitch fibers are great for explosive speed at short distances and durations. So Percy Harvin will play great in SEC football games. Golden Tate will outsprint many defenders in the Big 10 or Big East. But they most likely can't finish the Leadville 100 miles run in Colorado at an elevation above 10,000 feet. I doubt that they can even get to the 30 mile mark. Endurance events require different muscles that sprinters don't have. The converse is true as well.

So a young Carl Lewis can outrun a young Frank Shorter in 100 meters but not 26.2 miles.

Now I don't want this to turn into a thread about racism. I believe it's possible to discuss such issues without hate and mal-intent. Do you think we can do it?

2. Zaru ________________________________ Advisor

Most likely yes

What now?

3. tyheru Member

Time to start betting on every black athlete I see. :nuts

4. Mr Serenity Member

Here is something I was told by a professor of a SoCal University. The reason why a lot of current black Americans are bigger than most other races and used in sports so much, is because they descended from slaves. Because of all the physical labor and stress that they had to endure, primarily the bigger ones survived.

It is not my personal theory, but it makes sense to me. If you look at the actual native Africans compared to the black males of the U.S. I think you will overall see a difference in physique.

5. Lord Yu Banned

I can't see shit!

6. tyheru Member

I disagree here. Part of the reasons Africans were used as slaves were because they were so strong. Africans have always had the reputation of being strong and athletically fit. Of course most of that has to do with the harsh environment in which they grow up in.

7. Mr Serenity Member

White people can be strong and athletic too, but I don't remember seeing them reported as slaves throughout American history. If it makes a difference the professor that told me that theory was black himself.

8. Red Keep Cool, Carry On.

OP: You remind me of Diadem. Are you his dupe?

Black of West African descent here. WHAT.

Are you saying Jesus hates me and my entire family and while other blacks of west African Descent were getting 200000/20 god mode vision I was stuck with astigmatism and near sightedness?

EVERYONE in my family and extended family wears glasses. EVERYONE. At family reunions you'd mistake it for a negro glasses convention.

I can see where this thread is headed. Some ass hat down the line will claim "Hey since Blacks are inherently stronger then whites are inherently smarter" then a long winded debate on nurture vs nature and then some long ass posts about IQ with copy pasted shit from wiki and other places.

9. Mr Serenity Member

Also can you find me a native African that looks like this.

Spoiler:
    X

10. vivEnergy Luckyme:)

Even though money and geopolitical factors must certainly drive the medal count down for Africa I can't say black people have a physical advantage.

11. MF NaruSimpson In memory of Trayvon

i disagree with this part, and the reason is looking at kenyan long distance runners. If you measure their speed compared to sprinters, the speed is very similar. And on a 100 m basis, 100 m runners run similarly fast to 200m, 400m, 800m, 10000m , etc runners.

How does that jive?

disagree again. Africans are increasingly breaking into american sports. Football and basketball have more and more athletes from africa, playing at the most physically challenging positions. So shaq is big but he's not the only big guy out there.

12. Trias For in the sleep of death...

Wrong analogy; you're forgetting that a great deal of US athletes are also black. And NONE of the african countries can give enough support for their athletes like US, USSR or China, or European countries.

Anyway, I think they're slightly better physically in certain sports, like running and athletics (you can't see many black swimmers tho. Bone density, yeah) That may have something to do with the fact that people did not have mounts in Africa and had to run long distances, and a long tribal age demanded most population had to be warriors and hunters.

Also; even though I don't believe in such a thing, I'm sure a person honestly asking if Whites are more intelligent than Blacks based on IQ researchs, would be flamed to hell for being a racist. Hmm.

13. MF NaruSimpson In memory of Trayvon

musta happened in this forum like a milllion times. I'm 95% sure it will happen again in this thread

14. HolyHands Let me touch you

It's a bit too early at this point to really say whether there's an IQ difference between whites and blacks, but the possibility is certainly out there considering that living in different environments guarantees that evolution will impact animals differently (humans are still just animals after all). Humans haven't separated long enough to become different species, but we have separated enough that there are clear genetic differences between races.

It also doesn't help that blacks were more or less bred and sought out for their strength during the days of slavery, so the idea of them being stronger on average seems to make sense. Still, it's a very touchy subject after all, and I can understand why people are reluctant to go into it.

15. D4nc3Style The Legendary Battousai

Not every black person has a "physical" advantage. I know some that are extremely skinny and small.

16. Mider T VM Rapist

Probably because of TV or computer, or just plain old age. OP isn't talking about Africans anyway, he's talking about African descendants in the Americas.

17. Enclave Mr. Flibble's very cross

In general they do to a degree. It's obviously not super pronounced though.

The reason is pretty logical. Selective breeding during slavery.

You'll note though that as time goes on, that advantage will disappear. Hell, it's already starting to disappear.

There's nothing racist about saying this, it's just science. Also, the blacks aren't the only ones who have been subject to selective breeding in the past, their selective breeding just went on longer than other instances of it.

But yeah, each generation will become more and more normalised with other racial groups since no longer are the blacks subjected to selective breeding.

Also, regarding the Africans in Africa itself. That's largely due to living conditions. Look at the Natives in Canada, they also are generally physically superior to other racial groups, that's not due to selective breeding but rather environmental factors.

You'll see similar examples in the aboriginals in Australia and also natives in South America. That's nature instead of genetics and if you were raised in that environment you also would have those physical advantages.

18. CrazyMoronX Old Man

Another reason to wish I was black. As if a bigger penis and not being a pale goblin wasn't enough.

19. lazer God is my judge

Further proof that equality is a fairy tail.

20. Adonis Logical Positivist Nazi

Back when basketball was dominated by Jews, weren't there similar "scientific theories" about how the Jew's keen, sneaky mind facillitated their performance in the sport?

In other words, regardless of the science or lack thereof, the speculation is merely a pretense for innuendo. The last thing I need is some bucktoothed, inbred hick trying to convince me, "Hey, now, blacks is good at sports and whites is good at thinking!" Fuck you.

21. Watchman Fuck Yo' Cthulhu

lol@ the LaMarckian theories some people have in this thread.

Just because your ancestors were used for physical labour doesn't make you any more predisposed to being strong and fit.

But why care what I have to say? Someone posted a picture of a strong, fit black man. X

22. Adonis Logical Positivist Nazi

No one got the memo that Darwin beat out LaMarck. As I said in the last thread like this: there are quite a few people I'd like to see have their teeth knocked out by a science textbook.

Ignoring the whole, "His great grandparents were big, strong nigras, ergo..." bit, 400 years isn't enough time for natural selection to favor traits in a group, you passive-aggressively racist, libel-spewing twits.

23. Ruby Tuesday Who can hang a name on me?

Damn it Adonis you took the words right out of my mouth once again. :mad

I guess I just have to rape you again.

24. Mintaka Active Member

D'EM NIGGERZ IZ STEELIN R SPORTZ!!11

I fail to understand this idiotic logic. Could it not have something to do with who's the best player for the job, not "IS HE BLACK ENUFF TO BE GUUD LOLOLOLOL".

So black people seem to outnumber whites, this doesn't automatically mean they have some sort of "racial" advantage. It could be all sorts of other issues.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  25. LordUchiha U-Class jutsu user

To be honest its really just a racist stereotype since I have seen black people who are weak as shit. Genetics and a force of cultural habit may make out the majority to be more physically strong and athletic than whites or any other race for that matter. Thought perhaps it is strong black figures before that makes them out to be what they are viewed as in terms of strength.

26. Razgriez Banned

Which it is.

I think everyone deserves equal opportunity for the most part. We will never be created equal. That in itself goes against nature since the world is built around the idea that the strongest and smartest will survive.

27. HolyHands Let me touch you

There's nothing Lamarckian about it. During slavery, blacks lived in an environment where those with the genes for physical strength survive and those who don't have them die. The physically strong ones live to reproduce and thus you have a race that's more likely, but not guaranteed, to have more physical strength. Since blacks were treated like animals back then, they were bred like them. It's 100% Darwinism, and it's something we do even today (see selective breeding with cows).

Of course, this is all mostly just me spewing out baseless theories, but it's not Lamarckian at all. If blacks truly were stronger than whites, then it would be caused by an aspect of their environment over thousands of years, not just slavery.

28. Zabuzalives Active Member

depends on the selective pressures....

As well as thousands of years of normal natural selection leading to slight differences.

Its mostly nurture and circumstances though.

29. Cardboard Tube Knight Heads or Tails?

I would say there is a little reason for us to, despite the short amount of time. What you have in the blacks that were brought here as slaves is people who survived a harsh boat trip that saw disease, rats, uncleanliness and beatings. Many smart blacks were killed after getting here, others died from the harsh conditions of work and new diseases on this side. And the ones that left bred and had offspring. So I could see how someone could come to that conclusion.

Chris Rock actually does a bit on it.

30. Jello Biafra Now Look What You Made Me Do Advisor

It's still mostly crap, CTK. I don't know where this guy is getting his facts on, but in every case, the genetic variation within so-called "races" is greater than the variation between so-called races. It might lead to a slight advantage in athletics for former slave populations, but still, the biggest difference is social, not biological.

Like Adonis pointed out, most American athletes, particularly in basketball, used to be Jews. Why? Because they were disadvantaged, and sports was a way out of the working class and into higher education.

31. Cardboard Tube Knight Heads or Tails?

Well that's why I said there was a little reason for us to. I think Rock said it mostly as a joke. But at the same time I guess it makes sense that Sports are seen as a way out.

32. HolyHands Let me touch you

Well that's kinda the point. You'd be hard-pressed to find anybody who thinks a trait is 100% genetic and 0% environmental, but it would also be silly to assume that it's 100% environmental either. That's why I'm willing to keep my mind open about this. Men and women have equal rights for example, and that's a good thing, but we also admit that men and women are not equal biologically, and each gender has their advantages and disadvantages.

33. eHav Active Member

i agree with this, if you live in a dangerous environment, specialy a physicaly demanding one eventualy as generations pass people there will be people stronger/faster/more adapted to those chalenges. if they lived in a place where they had to mountain climb a lot i could see the people there growing with stronger upper body and arms, while if they lived on a huge plain with no mounts or way of transport they would be used to running, and would have more endurance running, better lung capacity and those things. imo of course :amuse

34. Mibu Clan Chibi Mibu

Errr...
    Spoiler:
    X

35. lazer God is my judge

Do asians have a mathematical advantage? yeah, duh! :facepalm

36. biar Active Member

I tend to agree, almost all of the grandparents of my black friends have unusually long life expectancies due to the harsh labor they've experienced during the segregation days. However I doubt this black generation will be as healthy as their ancestors due to all the unhealthy food they're eating.

37. Masaki Mugiwara Kaizoku

That professor got a Ph D? In what? English? That kind of change doesn't happen for a fuckin long time.

Over the course of thousands of years, different kinds of humans evolved in different places and became different from one another depending on the type of environment they lived in. Denying this means you're unaware of the fact that races exist in the first place.

38. id_1948 Member

I dont see whats wrong in saying that one race is at a genetic level stronger, or smarter or faster than another... and i dont think its racist

I mean for most part of human history we were confined to specific landmasses...

Be it in western africa... or aboriginal australia... or red indian american... northern european or far east

Most of these were divided by natural barriers... the far east was difficult to access due to the himalyan ridge... west africa was too difficult due to the jungles and so on

Every now and then youll have a violent mixing of groups mostly due to war... example when the crusades came to the middle east or the moguls push through to eastern europe

But for most part most of these areas would have there own gene pool (and this really mostly changed in the last 100 years with advent of modern transport and immigration)

So why is it wrong to assume that certain groups did not push certain human characteristics to levels that are better/different than other groups???

I mean they all look different... Northern europeans are white with light coloured eyes, africans are darker, far eastern are also light skin colored and dark hair etc

I dont think its hard to believe that other human characteristic other than appearance also developed differently between different races

Ultimately... I personally believe that even if one group is ahead of another... nothing can beat hard work and practise

Best example is the olympics... the chinese were not that great 50 years ago... yet they pushed through and invested and came on top of the olympic medal table this year