1. The Konoha Kennel is back! As a subsection to the Chatterbox, discuss your favorite fauna-related topics at a fun and laid-back pace. From animals to zoos, it's your one-stop destination for critter lovers!

Power of the Rinnegan? The Real Deal.

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives 2' started by Howdy, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Howdy Hard Truth

Thanks to the extreme dearth of readable threads in the library these days, I thought I'd take a crack at making something provocative.

So here's my take on the powers of the Rinnegan as we know them so far.

Pay attention, it might not be what you're expecting.

The Powers of the Rinnegan

What are the actual powers of the Rinnegan, you ask?

Let's make a list, and start off slowly.

First off, according to Jiraiya, the Rinnegan allowed Nagato to master all six forms of chakra - presumably the five elements plus one other - perhaps yin/yang.

Good?

Okay, moving on.

Second, the Rinnegan bestows upon its possessor the ability to see spiritual energy and beings.

Here, we see Pain observing the spiritual barrier that surrounds Konoha:

Spoiler:
    X

What suggests that this barrier is formed of spiritual energy?

Simple, with a village full of people who can see chakra with their doujutsu, we've never heard one mention of it before now. That's either a very strong coincidence or it's telling us something.

Also, the guys controlling the barrier wear Pope hats:

Spoiler:
    X

This obviously signifies the spirituality of the barrier they maintain. (Keep in mind I'm only 50% kidding here.)

Moving right along, we have Pain being able to see the Hell King Enma with his Rinnegan:

Spoiler:
    X

This is a being that cannot be detected by anyone else without it interacting with them specifically, much like the Shinigami.

Third we have... oh wait. There is no third.

That's it folks, that's all I've got for you.

Seriously.

Not convinced? Let's take a look:

Things That People Like to Pretend Are Gifted by the Rinnegan, but Probably Aren't

Jiraiya tells us that, as a child, Nagato expressed an unnatural aptitude for ninjutsu. The databook tells us that his hobby was creating and learning new techniques. Given the powers of the Rinnegan, he has an advantage over every other ninja in that regard.

Jiraiya does not tell us, however, that Nagato suddenly began manipulating the Six Realms of Metampsychosis.

He does not tell us that awakening the Rinnegan granted Nagato access to powers never before seen in the world of ninja.

He does not tell us that the Rinnegan comes equipped with a jutsu repertoire as the Mangekyo Sharingan does.

In fact, Nagato exhibits no signs of having inherited superhuman powers from his doujutsu in the three years that Jiraiya knows him.

Chances are, he didn't magically get his powers overnight.

The Six Paths of Pain

The Six Paths of Pain is a ninjutsu created by Nagato that we've all come to know and love (or hate, if that's your persuasion).

Each Realm exhibits unique abilities that seem to be well above the powers that normal ninja are capable of possessing.

On the face of it, these abilities seem like they must be powered by the Rinnegan as they are too powerful for a normal ninja to create.

But is that really true?

Let's break it down.

God:

God Realm's major power is control over gravity and repulsive and attractive forces:

Spoiler:
    X

While this power is cool and - dare I say it? - godly, it has absolutely nothing to do with the spiritual nature of the metampsychosis theme that the Rinnegan seems to possess.

It's a fairly unique power, but it's not anything beyond what ninja should be capable of with ninjutsu. After all, the Third Kazekage had a power of a similar nature - the ability to manipulate magnetic fields.

Hell:

Hell is able to control the King of Hell - Enma - to some extent.

But remember, this isn't the first spiritual being we've seen used in battle or have a contract formed with it.

Spoiler:
    X

Here we see Hiruzen use Minato's technique to summon the Shinigami - a spiritual being that, like Enma, is only visible to those affected by its power or, as I propose, a person with the Rinnegan.

So summoning such a being to do a ninja's bidding isn't limited to Pain or a possessor of the Rinnegan either.

Demon:

Not much to say here. The dude is a robot. Nothing spiritual about missiles or cannon hands or explosions, so I'll just move on. Okay?

Human:

Human can apparently read a person's mind at incredible speed or even rip the spiritual energy from their body.

Now obviously, no one would think to create a technique to rip spiritual energy from an enemy if he or she didn't possess the ability to see that energy in the first place. So while the Rinnegan perhaps persuaded Pain to create this jutsu, saying that it is gifted by the bloodline isn't really founded.

Second, we have Pain reading the minds of others:

Spoiler:
    X

I think that Ino makes my point best here. Pain is simply using an advanced version of Inoichi's technique - nothing insidious or unbelievable here.

He just went about creating an interrogation technique to use and did a better job than the Yamanaka clan.

No surprise considering he's probably the greatest ninjutsu genius of all time aside from possibly the Sage of the Six Paths himself.

Beast:

This one is a bit tricky, considering how complex Pain's contract is.

One theory is that the contract is gifted to him by his bloodline.

I don't buy that.

I believe it's much more likely that he subdued the animals he can summon (we know that these mythical beasts exist in the real world, just as giant, toads, snakes, slugs, and salamanders do), and killed them only to be brought back through his chakra rod technique and used to create his own contract.

It's fairly obvious that - like the bodies of Pain themselves - the animals he summons are dead and controlled just as the bodies are. They can even share sight and possibly other senses with him as part of his Six Paths jutsu:

Spoiler:
    X

Summoning is not an unexplainable ability. Pain just uses his summons in a different way than others. It's not that hard to understand.

Hungry Ghost:

Another easy one.

Sealing away ninjutsu has been around for a long time. I'm sure many of you can recall this memorable scene:

Spoiler:
    X

Once again, Pain has taken an ability that is available to all ninja and has perfected it to the highest level possible - or that we've seen.

It's not inconceivable that a ninja with Nagato's prodigious skills can accomplish this.

A Bit More About Pain:

The abilities of many of the realms do revolve around their stigma in the tradition of metampsychosis, but that doesn't mean that they are granted by the Rinnegan at all.

Nagato simply chose the Six Paths as a theme and went with it, assigning abilities to the bodies as they were named.

It doesn't have to be more complicated at that.

Jiraiya, Fukasaku, and Shima originally postulated that sharing sight was an ability of the Rinnegan, but I would argue that it is an ability of the Six Paths of Pain ninjutsu. Not only sight is shared. So are thoughts and presumably every other sensation. All they are is information being sent back to Nagato to be acted upon, after all.

Sage of the Six Paths?

So how does the Sage of the Six Paths come into all of this?

He created ninjutsu, and therefore most likely discovered chakra for what it is, right?

Right.

Spoiler:
    X

As we know from the fancy chart, chakra is a combination of body energy and spiritual energy.

Body energy is sort of obvious here. It's physical fitness and stamina. Any old person could figure this out.

But what about spiritual energy? How do you learn to control something you can't see or feel normally?

Then along came the Sage.

His Rinnegan allowed him to detect the spiritual energy in his body and the bodies around him, allowing him to mold chakra and create the first ninjutsu.

This also helps to explain why Nagato can have so much chakra. Since the Rinnegan is intrinsically linked to spiritual power, Nagato has an immense amount of this energy - possibly more than any other human.

That, or he is simply more efficient in its usage since he is aware of it.

In Conclusion

In conclusion, we find that the Rinnegan's power is to attune its possessor to spiritual energy and allow him or her to use all six forms of chakra manipulation. Whether this is due to the connection with the spirit or simply a second ability, we can't be sure.

The Six Paths of Pain are not necessarily - nor even likely - a direct manifestation of the Rinnegan's power. More likely they stem from the amazing insight that Nagato has into ninjutsu thanks to his bloodline.

And thus, our study of the Rinnegan's powers is concluded.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. First Tsurugi M O T I V A T E D

What about Pain's ability to share vision with other beings that possess the Rinnegan?
    I believe it was mentioned as being connected to the Rinnegan, but it shouldn't technically be a power since there should only be one Rinnegan user at a time, as far as we know.

Good read, btw. :kthumb

3. Howdy Hard Truth

All of them have chakra receptors which are definitely not part of the Rinnegan.

They are a part of the ninjutsu known as the Six Paths of Pain.

4. First Tsurugi M O T I V A T E D

Wow, somehow I completely missed that part. :sag
    Sorry. :sweatdrop

5. Ciupy Wielder of the Monado

Goddamn good thread.

For that matter,I am sure that you won't find another thread as good as this in the library nowadays!:edu

Rep+

6. Sunabozu GB's Ghost

good explaination of rinnegan howdy

7. tari101190 Active Member

you do realize spiritual energy = mental energy

身体 Shintai Energy = Human Body Energy
    精神 Seishin Energy = Mental Energy

精神 seishin = mind/soul/heart/spirit/initention

it's just your mind. nothing actually spiritual about it.

you create chakra by willingly converting stamina in chakra.

X

wilingly doing something means you used your mind.

and creating chakra is a bodily function. every bodily function is controlled by your brain.

so...

stamina + brain power = chakra
    +
    physical energy + spiritual/mental energy = chakra

XXXX

spiritual energy is not a tangible thing. so that barrier around is made from chakra. it may be spiritually type chakra though. like how tayuya made chakra ghosts made spiritual type chakra. like it leans towards spiritual more than physical i mean.

so you're wrong about that part...

but i kinda agree with what you're talking about in a way...if that makes sense.

8. Brian           

9. Howdy Hard Truth

You do realize that the large chart you posted just illustrated the conversion of stamina to chakra, right?

It didn't touch on the spiritual energy aspect at all.

Every explanation of what chakra is we've ever been given has stated that it consists of two things - spiritual and body energy.

Spiritual energy is an actual force that acts as a component of chakra - not simply the act of willing your body energy to become chakra.

Sakura states that spiritual energy is gained from experiences and smarts, but we all know that's a complete load of crap.

How can you even quantify that?

How does Naruto, who doesn't come off as particularly bright and is certainly not experienced at the manga's outset, still have a massive amount of chakra?

This is before he starts tapping into Kyuubi, by the way. And don't give me crap about "he only has a high chakra because Kyuubi is always mixing." The manga flat out states that Naruto has high chakra of his own.

The way that "spiritual energy" is defined at the beginning of the manga is airy and rather lame. Frankly, it just doesn't cut it this far down the line.

There's something more to it than that.

This is probably the best thing we have to go on to this point:

Spoiler:
    X

As you can see, just as body energy and nature energy are seen as actual forces used to mold chakra, so too is spiritual energy.

It's not simply willpower.

It's a quantifiable component of chakra.

10. Marsala The Ice-Cream Man Cometh Advisor

But there is no reason to assume that the barrier around Konoha is purely spiritual, or that it is invisible to other doujutsu. No one with a Sharingan or Byakugan has had a reason to point it out before, as it hasn't affected any important character. Lord knows it's taken hundreds of chapters for some of the most basic, obvious stuff about chakra to be told.

11. tari101190 Active Member

:facepalm, so you didn't read at all did you?

yes i know that, better than you do. they arn't literal 'evergies'. it's your stamina and brain power. look at the kanji used.

yes it is. spiritual energy, is mind/brain energy.

身体 Shintai Energy = Human Body Energy
    精神 Seishin Energy = Mental Energy

精神 seishin = mind/soul/heart/spirit/initention

that's a direct translation of what the manga states.

again, spiritual energy, is mind/brain energy.

:facepalm cos chakra comes from stamina and he has alot of stamina.

X

X

iruka says naruto lacks heaven/wisdom/spiritual energy and sakura is lacking in earth/stamina/physical energy. that's why sakura is agenjutsu type (a spirirtual jutsu). and naruto can use kage bunshin so well (a physical jutsu). genjutsu controlls your opponents mind/spritual energy.

and if you read the pics they talk about it.

stamina + brain power = chakra
    +
    physical energy + spiritual/mental energy = chakra

XXXX

12. ?_Camorra_? All ur chicken belongs to me

I agree with tari,its being stated that the spiritual energy is the intent or will of the shinobi which binds the physical energy to form chakra.

13. Grimmjowsensei True Hokage

You forgot to add 'Pain' as one of rinnegans powers.

14. ShinAkuma Fanboy Destroyer

I think the hell king is actually a jutsu of Pain's rather than a separate being since it has the rinnegan as well.

15. WraithX959 I hate stupid people

Tari's right, but I believe the OP was trying to convey that it's take an equivalent amount of mental energy(brain power) to convert a certain amount of stamina into chakra.

So, if you wanted to convert 30% of your stamina into chakra, it would take 30% of your brain power. Mental fatigue has been shown to be an issue in the series, Naruto received all the mental fatigue of his kage bushins during his wind element/FRS training after he dispelled them. This caused him to collapse at one point.

16. Ho-Kage-Bunshin Active Member

i really liked it.

but i think i have to disagree on that one.

i don't that he dicovered chakra. chakra was there all along. people weren't able to mold it right, but it was inside of them, because chakra is some form of life-energy. [and because there is a chakra-system in the body it had to be there all along]

first there was only taijutsu. but then a sage came and with all of his wisdom he taught the people how to use ninjutsu (and genjutsu) with their chakra.

i think that's why the hyuugas don't use ninjutsu and claim to be the strongest. in those days before ninjutsu was known by the people and there was only taijutsu they were the strongest. because their taijutsu was the strongest.

Spoiler:
    i wanted to make a theory about that on my own, but now i'm posting it here...

edit: i can't rep you right now, i'll do it later.

edit2: now i made a theory about it anyway.
    X

17. tari101190 Active Member

he wasn't saying that at all. he was talking about a spiritual energy being a catalyst for ninjutsu that the rinnegan user first discovered then taught everybody else. not realizing that spiritual enerrgy is just brain power.

rikoudou sennin gave birth to ninjutsu, not chakra. everyone could probably already create chakra and internally control, just not externally control it since you need to develop a chakra nature to do that, which is hard. a rinnegan user however automatically has every chakra nature so it wasn't hard for him.

it's also hard to release chakra from your body anyway. it was said even jounin can only release chakra from like 1 part of their body at a time. only the hyuuga can release chakra from their whole body at once.

X

so the power of the rinnegan is that the user has every chakra nature already.

and it seems they can see chakra as well, not intangible brain power/spiritual energy.

and it's annoyin how so many ppl say they agree with someone who just wrote stuff without even having an undestanding how things work properlly, who also shoots down ppl trying to explain it to him.

18. Howdy Hard Truth

While I admitted in my original post that this may be true, I honestly don't believe that it is.

Ninja - even those without advanced doujutsu - have ways of detecting chakra. If there was simply a large chakra net extending around the village, someone would have noticed by now and found a way to undermine or go around it.

However, as far as we know, only Leaf ninja with prior knowledge of the shield have been able to work around it - or even know it exists.

It would be rather difficult when even the youngest Hyuuga could see it and blab.

This had crossed my mind, and I am tempted to agree with you. Like Susanowa, this jutsu could simply be a manifestation of Pain's chakra and will.

Still doesn't mean it's a direct power of the Rinnegan though.

Call it what you want - spiritual or mental energy.

The point is, it's an actual force. It's quantifiable.

Even Iruka says that Naruto should work to improve on his mental energy.

Now how the hell does that make any sense if mental energy is simply willpower?

Obviously, stronger techniques require more focus to use - more mental/spiritual energy.

Just because normal ninja don't have the means to measure or observe this power doesn't mean that no one does.

Those who possess the Rinnegan can interact with this power much more readily than those without, and can likely even see it with their doujutsu.

As far as the Sage of the Six Paths goes - I said that he discovered chakra - not that he invented it.

Obviously, people have been subconsciously making chakra since the beginning of time. They need it to live.

The Sage, however, was able to quantify the energies used to mold chakra and therefore was able to teach others to do so as well, even though they lack the ability to understand it as he did.

Just as people "discovered" that the world was round, the Sage "discovered" the existence, properties, and implements of chakra.

19. ?_Camorra_? All ur chicken belongs to me

The intent or force of will is indeed an actual force in Naruto like in other fictional verses.The spiritual power is dependent on two things,will and experience/knowledge.

20. tari101190 Active Member

:wink so you finally gave up arguing?

i know that. i posted the pic remember, in order to show you.

the reason why it doesn't make any sense to you is cos your theory is wrong. :facepalm can't you see that yet?

mental energy refers to the brain power used when willingly converting stamina into chakra. it's not a tangible force you control to create jutsu. that's chakra.

saying it's an energy or force is fine but then ppl like you can take it too literally.

spiritual energy is like a laments term for 'force of will/brain power/mental power'.

:huh

chakra and jutsu are 2 different things. you use energy to create chakra. and you use chakra to create jutsu. you don't use energy to create jutsu.

the energies have nothin to do with the requirements of the jutsu itself. more spiritual energy would just mean you create more chakra.

and please explain what a 'stronger technique' is. no where in the manga has kishimoto written about strength levels of jutsu. he's talked about difficulty levels though. and in general higher difficulty jutsu require more skill in the requirments for the jutsu, but unless you talk about a specific jutsu assuming it uses higher levels of intellect is...

rasengan doesn't require a high intellect. it requires a high level of keitai henkai (shape alteration). nothin to do with the spiritual energy used to create the chakra in the first place.

rikoudou taught everyone about seishitsu henka (nature alteration), since he could use all 6 types of it.

he created ninjutsu, not discovered chakra.

rinnegan gives the user all 6 chakra natures automatically. no need to learn them. normal ppl couldn't use ninjutsu cos they didn't know how to develop chakra natures. he taught them. and so ninjutsu was born.

21. Howdy Hard Truth

Alright, forget everything I said about more spiritual/mental energy for higher ranked jutsu.

You're right, you need to use that energy to mold chakra, then use the chakra to form the jutsu.

But any academy student can mold chakra. They have all the know-how to do that.

So what do you think they're talking about when they refer to mental/spiritual energy and the fact that it can be increased through experience and knowledge?

What you seem to be arguing is that the spiritual energy is only a desire to mold stamina into chakra, but that's obviously false considering every explanation of chakra we've ever been given.

Spiritual/mental energy is an actual component of chakra - it's not simply a process that changes one thing to another.

Nowhere does it say that the Sage of the Six Paths taught anyone about chakra natures.

All it says is that he created ninjutsu.

What I conclude from that is that he was the first person to be able to control his chakra and use it for purposes other than staying alive.

In other words, he discovered its nature and bent it to his will, then passed what he learned on to students who made the beginnings of the ninja world.

The Rinnegan does not give its possessor all six chakra natures. It allows them to use all six at a high level. Obviously, the Sage had to learn to unlock them all individually and control them, or he'd have no idea how to teach anyone else to do that.

See what I'm getting at?

Furthermore, ninja don't need to develop their chakra nature to become ninja or utilize ninjutsu.

Most ninja never learn to control their chakra nature. It's a high level skill.

Naruto never even heard of chakra natures until Part 2 when he underwent an incredibly high level training.

So no, what the Sage accomplished was far more fundamental to basic chakra manipulation and ninjutsu than simply helping people develop their affinities.

22. Arnaz Teh Awesomness

23. Dark Uchiha Already Home

i must say... Tari is spitting some real knowledge :nod

+reps for you sir

24. Sareth Banned

Maybe this is why he has to divide his chakra into several bodies. It's too much for a single body to handle, thus the risk of focusing all chakra into God realm.

25. haydenKyuubi try and touch me!

Awesome work Howdy, an example of what a Librarian Thread should be! +reps

Awesome knowledge tari101190, for now i agree with everything you said, but we need a bit more info from Kishi about rinnegan to have sure about all these details. +reps

26. Howdy Hard Truth

As I recall, he was fine as a child.

I seriously doubt that his own bloodline would start to kill him when we've never heard anything mentioned about the Sage in a similar manner.

27. Sareth Banned

But this makes perfect sense with Nagato being a cripple! His life is depending on the six bodies. Maybe he got more chakra over the years, until it was too much for him to handle. He then developed the Six Paths in order to cheat death. They now serve as a respirator to him, and are keeping him alive.

28. joedoebell Mr. Enthusiastic

Spiritual/mental energy is an actual component of chakra, as you're saying, Howdy. In fact it's reinforced by the very diagrams tari posted. Sakura says that you "combine" the body energy and spiritual energy to make chakra in the first image. The next diagram shows an actual mixing symbol and says "mixing spiritual and body energy, basically releasing chakra."

And remember when Shikamaru fought Tayuya?

X

You can even further imbue chakra with more mental energy.

Back to the original subject: I didn't think to make a connection between the Sage of the Six Path's ninjustu creation and his ability to see spiritual energy. It could be a possibility. It's an interesting thought, regardless.

29. Ralphy♥ 愛あなた永遠あな

Sounds plausible, but the rennegan has to pose some special skills. I don't think its just shared sight between all that are pain and a jutsu amplifier (Taking a normal jutsu and advancing it, like when he read shizune's mind).

When pain use that catastrophic jutsu that decimated the center of konoha, that was something that was specific to the rennegan no?

30. Howdy Hard Truth

No.

It was a gravity ninjutsu.

I don't see how control over gravity can be attributed to the Rinnegan when all of the rhetoric concerning that doujutsu involves spirituality.

There's nothing spiritual about destroying a city with a massive gravity dump.

I will, however, agree that the Rinnegan does possibly have some specific doujutsu abilities. I just don't think we'll be seeing them until Nagato appears further down the road.

This thread is mostly an analysis of what we've been shown to this point.

31. Adamant Kitsune Wanderer

What I would to see some sign of obvious weakness for Pain technique using other bodies? How does it effected the original body? There got be some type of strain every justu has some flaw or drawback to it.

Spoiler: Spoiler
    Consider all his bodies have chakra receivers could you not in theory trace the signal so speak to his original body is focus point.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  32. `Monster Neon Core

Awesome thread Howdy! +Reps

33. xer0 Fudge

Quite right.

It's hard to say what attributes the Rinnegan has - other than what we already know:

Shared vision
    ability to NOT copy jutsu like sharingan - BUT understand.

Besides, that i'll throw caution to the wind and assume that it may some how allow the user to 'TUNE' their chakra to different affinities such as wind, fire, water etc. by being able to visualise it.

Which is possibly why Nagato was able to learn all 6 elemental types.

Since it's hard to guess what exactly the 6th element is - i wouldn't be suprised if it were super natural - as in spiritual.

34. Rikudou God of Logic

Goddamn this was a damn good read. :thumbs

However, whatever killed that chuunin must have been a Rinnegan ninjutsu, because he couldn't have come up with a ninjutsu on the spot...
    Could he? That would be too hax. Not even Nagato, the ultimate shinobi, should be able to do that.

Whatever killed that chuunin was a given doujutsu by the Rinnegan, something similar to amaterasu or something.

35. Khazzar Hand of the King

Yes ofcourse,thread is good. It's to be expected out of Howdy.

36. akatsuki8 Sage Naruto

i still don't fully understand the power of the rinnengan but it seems like the most powerful dojutsu

37. xer0 Fudge

I think we may glimpse the true power of the Rinnegan in the coming chapters. Ofcourse, that's obvious to everyone... but i'm talking about during this fight with Naruto.

38. -Maya- Banned

That what i don't get though the Only way we have seen to Control a power like Gravity is Via a Bloodline or special trait

So i can't understand how Gravity control could be learnt by all

39. Howdy Hard Truth

That's not true.

No one has shown to be capable of gravity ninjutsu aside from Pain, but that's not to say that he's the only ninja who can learn how.

After all, only Minato was capable of using the Rasengan or Shiki Fuujin until he taught others to do the same.

No one else has been able to learn the Hiraishin, though others can still use space/time ninjutsu.

We have no reason to assume that Shinra Tensei is anything but an incredibly powerful ninjutsu created by the ninjutsu genius Nagato.

40. Shishi-O Oda Is God

finally someone gets that pain is a jutsu:notrust

41. Franckie Shinigami Chop

Yeah, I think the rinnegan is capable of casting doujutsu in addition to allowing its user to be proficient in the use and creation of ninjutsu.

Rinnegan. :ho

42. -Maya- Banned

So are you saying if Nagato wanted to he could Create his own Jutsu where he uses Magnetism to control metal

43. Howdy Hard Truth

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but according to the manga the wielder of the Rinnegan can use any jutsu.

So while we probably won't be seeing him do this, it's certainly a possibility that Nagato is capable of such a thing.

44. general-david Expert

Good analysis of Rinnegan.

45. -Maya- Banned

Including Bi-elements and jutsu requiring Special bodies (ak Kiminaro)??

I know this is offtopic seeing as these things aren't been confirmed as powers/abilities of the Rinnegan i'd still like to know you're opinion of them ?

46. shiva666 Living puppet

Here is my idea on how the rinnegan works:

Spoiler:
    Rinnegan allows nagato to use all jutsus he learned, it is The seed of all jutsus.
    Rinnegan allows to see the jutsu pattern he could see the seal design and could potentially learn the hand signs of a jutsu simply by seeing its effect. Basically he sees the root of the jutsus, he still needs to understand it and to learn it to use it though.

With this he learned to summon henma (maybe his only contract: a deal with the devil) with it he can resurrect (give them shakra from stolen souls?) both ninjas and summoned creatures. He creates zombies.

His other jutsu is a mind transfer jutsu (akin to Ino's or maybe even the Ino's clan secret jutsu in some advanced stage) he can divide his mind and control several zombies at once. But by dividing his mind he is constraint to give to each a focus of a jutsu (summoning, taijutsu, ninjutsu) so he chooses dead candidates witch were very proficient in one field and resurrects them learning and keeping their skills in the process.

He uses the piercings made out of Shakra conductive metals as sasori would use shakra strings, they are antenas for Nagato's teleguided control.

We will see nagato plugged to an antena of sorts too in the future.

Once we see nagato we will see the true power of the rinnegan unless is body is already dead and the only way he has to keep himself immortal is by the use of zombies.

47. tari101190 Active Member

rinnegan just gives you the ability to use all 6 chakra natures.

by extension, a rinnegan user can use all jutsu (that are humanly possible) by using any of those 6 chakra natures.

he also might be able to see chakra, there is enough evidence to believe that. otherwise, stop adding and/or making up powers.

48. Howdy Hard Truth

Konan can apparently turn her body into paper and Kakuzu used a secret jutsu to integrate five hearts into his body and turned his insides into silly string.

I don't think a powerful ninja needs a bloodline to make significant modifications to their own body.

While characters possessing bloodlines are born with a powerful advantage, we're not given much evidence that precludes other ninja from mimicking their abilities through advanced ninjutsu.

So until we hear otherwise, I'm going to assume that a character with the Rinnegan could, if he so chose, accomplish something similar to the effects those bloodlines provide.

49. Specter Von Baren A Ghost In The Machine

Just as I've said before, the three doujutsu's symbolize the three materials that make up a person. Byakugan is the physical eye, Sharingan is the energy eye, and Rinnegan is the spiritual eye. :oh

50. tari101190 Active Member

sharingan is the spiritual eye.

all of it's abilties are mentally based. it memorizes and read through things and casts genjutsu. genjutsu affect the mind.

the kanji for mental energy also means spiritual energy.

精神 seishin mind/spirit

bykugan = physical
    sharingan = spiritual
    rinnegan = uses all 6 chakra natures...