1. The NF rules of conduct have been updated in response to the Xenforo upgrade. Please review them here.
  2. Discussion for the forum medals contest is happening here. Please drop in and give your input.

Official Naruto Translations Questions Thread [Translators Please Help!]

Discussion in 'Naruto Translations' started by Naruko, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naruko Administrator

This is for short requests. A panel, a line, a word, a scene. This is not for whole pages or chapters. Those deserve their own threads for discussion and clarity.

This also is not a conversation thread. Just post your request, if you wish to clarify something from the translator(s), do so. I don't mind seeing translators discuss details in here, but I don't want this to be a spam thread.

Have fun outside that :naruko

PS - please include manga scans, tagged, when you can, so translators know what you're asking about.

2. Fay

The word "akogare" among other words is used in databooks to describe Hinata's feelings for Naruto. It can be translated into various things, depending on the context it's written in.
    I'd like to know THE translation that was meant in Hinata's databook entries.

3. Gottheim Realm of the Gods

It means "admiration", "to look up to something". It's kind of a throwaway word, which doesn't mean that much by itself. It's used to describe Madara's admiration for shodai in his DB entry, for example. And I'm positive Madara wasn't gay.:hurr

That said, given the context, you wouldn't be far off if you gave the word a romantic dimension when speaking of Hinata. Her feelings have been made quite obvious, by now.:zaru

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  4. Munboy Dracule O'Brian Active Member

Spoiler: What do the bits about Nagato say?
    http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/read-online/20398/28?t=1239479992

What do these say about each relationship [or do I need to PM/make a thread for this one?]
    Spoiler:
    http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/read-online/20398/29?t=1239479994

5. Doof Member

ShounenSuki already translated the Nagato page. It's in my thread about the minibook. See X. Anyway, I'd like to request a translation of these pages from the minibook:

X

^ The picture comment about Naruto's attack on Deidara.

X

^What it says about Naruto's Kyuubi punch on Neji.

X

^The picture comments about Naruto and Gaara's fight on the second half of the page.

X

^The picture comment about Naruto hitting Kabuto with Rasengan.

I want to know what's said in hindsight about the fights, these would be a good start because they're about the person who is presently being focused on.

6. Lovely ~Miss March

Can you translate this for me? ( only the bottom right panel though, with Sasuke and Sakura) X

7. Darth

X. 5th panel. Kakashi says in this scantalation "I used a raikagebunshin so I only have about half my chakra left."

What's the official translation? I know sleepyfans tends to mess up sometimes, but does he say RaiKage Bunshin or is it just Rai Bunshin?

Also, when he says he only has half his chakra left, does that mean he used up half his chakra in the bunshin or that he just has half left period? I'm not getting the grammar on that.

I don't know where to find the Chinese RAW.

8. njt Can I get an ossu?!

He says "Raiton Kagebunshin" :3

9. Gottheim Realm of the Gods

@Darth Ruin
    To answer the rest of your questions, just go X for a proper translation. And not trying to insult your intelligence, but just in case, Raiton: Shadow Clone and Raiton: Kage Bunshin mean the exact same thing. Regarding the Chinese raw, well... Good luck with that.:p

@Lovely Complex
    The panel with Sakura and Sasuke, with the couple of sentences below them? Assuming you didn't receive the answer by PM already, it goes:

Sasuke: Sakura. Thank you.
    -Sasuke conveys his gratitude to Sakura for stopping him, then he takes a step into the darkness.
    -The Shikamaru, Neji, Naruto, Kiba, and Chouji squad presses forward, each one of them trusting the others.
    Naruto(?): Off we go, everyone!

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  10. Darth

This is the naruto translation thread. I don't think Bleach Translations will be accepted here.

11. Darth

X

12. Dragonus Nesha Le Rouquin Super Moderator

I was wondering what, if anything, the tattoos on Darui's shoulders meant (X, X). I think there may have been a thread about this already, but I can't seem to find it and don't remember if an answer was ever really given.

13. Gottheim Realm of the Gods

LOL, Darui has tatooed his Nature Alteration proficiencies on his shoulders. Perhaps because he's so slow (his name means sluggish) he wouldn't remember them otherwise?

1) Lightning.

2) Water.

14. Shukumei Here and there

A question on Itachi's line after Kisame says "You are now the last living member of the Uchiha Clan" (paraphrase from memory), "No ... he's not dead yet" in 364 p4:
    いや...あいつは死んでない...

Am I correct in assuming that because he used 'aitsu' instead of, say, 'kare' for 'he', the translation would better be like "That guy isn't dead yet" and therefore more overt support for him referring to Madara instead of Sasuke?

15. Zetaofs He who invents himself

^^ I'm not a translator, but I have a feeling that whatever Itachi was saying there he knew Sasuke was alive at the time. The very next thing that Itachi did after that was go and speak to Naruto in the forest about Sasuke, how Sasuke was pure and still could be tainted, etc. Which indicates (1) he knew Sasuke was alive, and (2) that Madara was looking to groom Sasuke and so wouldn't have let Sasuke die to Deidara.

Anyway, I have a request of my own. In Chapter 366, page 13, I read this:

Naruto: "You're after me aren't you? Then fight me now!"
    Itachi: "I have to leave you, for now... I've got a very important matter to deal with."

The bold part sticks out to me. It makes me think Itachi may come back to Naruto later a la Itachi's enigmatical "gift" in some form or other.

16. Senjuclan Mori No Senju Ichizoku

Could you guys please shed some light on Senju vs. Uchiha:

On this page:X

What does Itachi REALLY say about Senju? Some translators say that Uchiha allied with Senju, who were hailed as the strongest shinobi. Is this right?

Also, on this page:X

Some translators have it as Hashirama, and his clan Senju were feared as the strongest while some say only Hashirama was feared as the strongest. Which oone is correct? Thanks in advance.

17. Shukumei Here and there

Thank you, Zetaofs! That makes much sense; I understand it more clearly now.

Out of curiousity, I looked up the bit from 366 - Japflap seems to have translated it as such:
    Naruto: "You were after me, weren't you? In that case ...!"
    Itachi: "I'll be going. I have important matters that I have to attend to."

The raw reads:
    Naruto: お前はオレを狙ってたんだろ だったらここで!
    Itachi: もう行く? これから大事な用があるんでな

I've bolded the part which relates to your question. I'm not really a translator, but I'd say it as "I'll be going already" or "I'm going shortly" ... hmm.

For 386.10: マダラはその力を使いあらゆる忍一族を次々束ねていった
    そして忍最強と謳われていた
    森の千手一族と手を組み新たな組織を設立したのだ
    I took the kanji from the volume, but interestingly all the scripts for the chapter release I see online have instead of where I bolded ... would that change the meaning? It could have been a small textual change for the volume. I don't know enough to be able to answer your query.

For 399.10: 柱間が率いる千手一族は?どの忍一族からも一目置かれ何より恐れられていた

Hmm ... I read it as the 'fear/respect as best' part referring solely to Hashirama, who 'lead the Senju clan,' but I have certainly known to be wrong - don't take my guess as fact! You should get someone who actually knows Japanese to answer your question; I'm just offering what I can. :cry

18. Gottheim Realm of the Gods

@Senjuclan
    Rejoice, my child!:amuse

Chapter 386; p.10
    Itachi: Madara used his power to subjugate every clan one after another./Then he joined hands with the clan that was hailed as the strongest, the Senju of the Forest, thus establishing a new organization.

Chapter 399; p.01
    Madara: The first man ever to take the name of Hokage./The clan Hashirama led, the Senju...//was acknowledged by every shinobi clan without exception for its superiority. And feared, more than anything else.

@Shukumei
    If I were you, I'd tend to trust the source material over any script or whatnot, but in the case that interests us, the difference between に and と is negligible, and wouldn't alter the meaning by much. Dictionary agrees with 次々に being the correct answer, though.
    As for chapter 399: 柱間が率いる千手一族は…どの忍一族からも一目置かれ何より恐れられていた
    The proper subject of that sentence is in bold.

@Zetaofs
    What Shukumei said.
    Itachi: "I'll be on my way, now".
    That's my take on the matter, but it's a question of personal taste rather than accuracy.

19. SakurasIndecision Member

Gottheim! Please help! I don't know if this has been asked before, but could you please translate the scrolls hanging in Sasuke's room? (X)

Thank you!!

20. Shukumei Here and there

Thank you, Gottheim! :wtf I always feel uneasy when people rely on my 'translations,' as I am far from fluent.

21. Gottheim Realm of the Gods

I'll try to do something about the scroll on the far left of the pic (watch out for an edit to this post), but the other scrolls are pretty much illegible, I'm afraid.

EDIT: Sorry, there's nothing I can do, unless you can find a cleaner picture or something. Try asking someone else, you never know. But this is beyond the scope of my abilities.

I'm far from fluent myself, actually. But after hours and hours of swallowing Japanese text, anyone would acquire at least some measure of proficiency.:p

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  22. Shukumei Here and there

A cleaner picture? At your service! X I always recommend looking at the raw volume page for such things. It's MQ, not HQ, though - I downloaded and unzipped the file and the page size is the same as the Read Online, whereas sometimes the HQ ones have insanely large pagesizes compared to Read Online so it's great for zooming in and looking at details/kanji, or trying to read the furigana ... but I digress.

I can see most of the kanji and katakana clearly; just some I can't find that easily when looking around. I don't actually know that many kanji, I'm just used to transcribing from images by looking around on kanji-lists by radicals. Do you know what this kanji is?
    Spoiler:
    X
    I had to somewhat draw it as I couldn't find it.

The one on the left has that unknown (to me) kanji, then 達 (or something similar from 辶 that I can't find), then 力 (it may be the katakana カ as kana follow, but judging by its style I'm guessing it's the kanji ... another opinion?), then what I believe to be ントク‼

The middle one on the far wall seems to say (in my opinion) テング and then either ワ or ウ, then something I can't recognize; perhaps it's actually a kanji? I'm unsure.

The one right of that seems to have 伊-blank-男 to my eyes, with the unknown one perhaps having the element 辶 even if not from that radical ... I can't see it well enough.

I'd appreciate translation help! I'm better at transcribing, though some kanji I can't recognize or find too quickly sometimes (i.e. I tend to recognize more prevalent radicals without always knowing what the radical or the kanji mean, so I can know where to go look it up). I've done what I could with this manga panel.

23. ScaryRei Under my Voodoo

This was an inside joke/ shout out between Kishimoto and the Naruto anime director, Hayato Date (伊達 勇登 だて はやと).

The scroll on the left says, "Date Kantoku!!" (伊達カントク)(Director Date!!)
    In the anime, this same scene is shown with Kisimoto's name on the scroll: "岸本センセ!!" (Kishimoto Sense!!)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  24. QuoNina Active Member Advisor

Hm. A short question about something Tobi says in Chapter 463: To become complete.

Can I know more about how the phrase is usually used?
    Does the word/phrase "complete" make sense, literally, for completing a novel/story/film production?

Thanks.

25. Sho Active Member Advisor

Hey Nina! :)

The word he uses is 完全体 and the actual phrase is 完全体になること (kanzen-tai ni naru koto)

It's different in usage from "complete" as in a verb. This usage is more like "to become whole" or "complete oneself"

26. T.D.A King of Football

In this page: X

Does it say Sasuke is his favourite character to draw or favourite character full stop?

27. Infinite Xero I/O

Spoiler:
    XX
    Could someone translate the Biju/Jinchuuriki Profile Cards please??

28. chickmashine Active Member

Can Sennin mode be translated into the Sennin's body? As in Rikudo Sennin?

29. Hatifnatten Banned

I believe you're going for this part 一番愛着のあるキャラ (ichiban aichaku no aru kyara). Existing character he's most attached to or love.

"Mode" is written using actual English word "mode" (モード mo-do).

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  30. chickmashine Active Member

Thanks, however the Sennin part was more important to me? I'll take this as a "Yes, it's the same" but I would like confirmation.

31. Hatifnatten Banned

Well, sure Sennin is the same - 仙人, I though you was wondering if "mode" can be translated as "body", thus "sennin's body".

32. chickmashine Active Member

Thanks dude, you're awesome!

33. ScaryRei Under my Voodoo

I?m assuming you?re referring to the last part on this page:

今でも一番目に気を使うキャラです。そのせいか一番愛着のあるキャラにもなってきました。

Even now, he?s the character that I pay the most attention to. Maybe because of that, he?s also become the character that I?m most attached to.

(note: previous to this sentence, Kishimoto complains about how hard it was to draw Sasuke because his expressions and movements were so different from the characters that he typically draws in his manga.)

34. Almost Princess & I'll be the Princess

As Sho explained, it would be "whole" as in a personal sense.

When I first read the RAW, I interpreted it as "my life will be whole with the Nine Tails back in my life"

- I felt it indicated an emotional attachment.

Awh, he misses his lost pet! :cry [that'd be like someone stealing your puppy and sealing it into a stranger! I'm sure PETA would have some nice words for Minato]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  35. melo Shadowlands

if that is the contextual interpretation, then why would madara collect the other bijuus as well if he misses only the pet he once had that is inside naruto now? just wonderin'. :p

36. Lezard Valeth Banned

could someone re-translate this please

X

there are conflicting translations
    some say sandaime was strongest kage
    some say he was strongest hokage
    and other say he was both

What is the truth please?

Only a very accurate translator please (like Sho)
    If you're not mastering japanese don't bother please

37. Hatifnatten Banned

38. Nihongaeri 大阪命!ナニワ最高!

:huh

Anyhow, "You did fight he who is hailed as the strongest of the Great Five Countries, the Hokage, after all"

Kabuto also says he like's hot dogs. Ummmm, midnight snack time!

39. A.E.G.I.S Active Member

Spoiler:
    X

It's the last volume cover. I hear Kishi says the manga reached its climax and is about to end soon. Is that true ?

40. Lezard Valeth Banned

Thanks Nihongaeri and Sho

Here is Sho's reply to my PM

41. Nihongaeri 大阪命!ナニワ最高!

No mention of climaxes. Just says basically that he's made definite progress in formulating the plot running up to the end.

42. Infinite Xero I/O

I'd still like someone to translate the Jinchuuriki Profile Cards I requested sometime ago.

43. ScaryRei Under my Voodoo

There's a whole thread dedicated to this topic X.

44. Infinite Xero I/O

I heard that in the DataBook, that Hashirama and Tobirama both died shortly after becoming Hokage, but I've read the translation of both but I didn't read that, so I'm gonna ask if someone could translate them for me.

X
    X

Spoiler: DB3 Nidaime
    Senju Tobirama

Main text

兄が植えた木ノ葉という苗を、深緑萌える大樹へと育てる――それが火影の名を継いだ扉間の使命だった。秩序を守る警務部隊、後進を育成する忍者学校 (Academy)、中忍試験の制度などを次々と作り上げた扉間。その胸にあったのは、木ノ葉の里の安定と平和。里を想う千手兄弟の心は今でも「火の意志」となって木ノ葉の中で受け継がれている―。

Caption

敢然たる将―里の未来を茂らせん

Picture comment

扉間の尽力により、“千手一族”は里での発言を高めていった。
    Spoiler: DB3 Shodaime
    Main text

かつて、忍達が熾烈なる争いを繰り広げた戦乱の時代…。並ぶことなき精強さを以って、列国に勇名を轟かせし一族があった。名を“森の千手一族”という。その長にして、屍山血河なる世を平定せし男こそ、千手柱間である。唯一無二の"木遁忍術"を自在に操り、忍として突出した「力」を誇りながら、数多の民を纏め上げる大 いなる「徳」を有する、まさに稀代の英雄。
    柱間は、長きに亘り対立関係にあった“うちは一族”と手を結び、忍の頂へ上り詰めると、火の国に「木ノ葉隠 れの里」を設立。古今に類を見ない隠れの里のシステムは、現在の"忍び五大国"の礎を築くに到 るのである。

Caption

壮麗に聳える忍の頂天下太平の火を灯さん

Picture comments

“木遁忍術”、そして"尾獣"をも操る柱間の実力は、忍界にて正しく無双を誇っていた。

人心を掌握せし、強烈なカリスマ性を持つ。柱間が木ノ葉なる巨大な里を築いたのは、必然と言え よう…。

木ノ葉の火影岩に残されるのは、柱間の意志を継ぎし者達の系譜。堅固な岩盤に刻まれしそれは、永久に揺るが ぬ「火の意志」を表している。

45. Kyuubi Ryujin Member

The so called "Ninshuu" that the sage of the six paths preached. I need to know what Ninshuu means and I'd like to know if it's similar or the same as X that the monks are known to practice?

46. ShounenSuki Ruler of Penguins

Theurgical enlightenment? That's an odd translation...

Any way~ Ninshuu means Shinobi Sect. Shuu is how one would call a specific sect of Buddhism in Japanese. Zen is called Zenshuu (禅宗, Silent Meditation Sect) in Japanese, for instance.

That "Theurgical Enlightenment" is an odd translation for Senzoku no Sai (仙族の才), which I would translate to the Gift of the Hermit Tribe.

The two are unrelated.

47. Dragonus Nesha Le Rouquin Super Moderator

Their deaths are mentioned in their Databook 1 entries:
    Spoiler: Shodai Hokage
    Shodai Hokage (初代火影, Founding Fire Shadow)
    Konoha, Hokage

Is the world at war, no matter what age...?

The founder of what became the great "Konohagakure no Sato"

Going back about 60 years from now... A shinobi with excelling power collected a great number of shinobi and established a new village. This shinobi was the Shodai Hokage. The founder of Konohagakure no Sato. However, this was a time when the world was at war. At the same time the village began to flourish, he lost his life.

[picture of the Shodai Hokage performing Wood Release Secret Technique: Birth of a World of Trees]
    ↑"Birth of a World of Trees," the art of calling forth trees and plants, was the Shodai's characteristic ninjutsu.

*Wood Release Secret Technique: Birth of a World of Trees (木遁秘術・樹界降誕, Mokuton Hijutsu: Jukai Koutan).

Spoiler: Nidaime Hokage
    Nidaime Hokage (二代目火影, Second Fire Shadow)
    Konoha, Hokage

It's been a while ...Saru*...

The Shodai Hokage's younger brother who laid the foundation stone of the present village through his tremendous leadership

The Nidaime is the Shodai's younger brother by blood, who inherited his brother's dying wish and was called "Hokage" after the Shodai died. He endeavoured in the founding of the Academy and the establishment of the village's organisational system. However, shortly thereafter the Shinobi World War broke out. He entrusted the wishes of the suppression of war and the prospering of the village to his successor and died a noble death.

←He was a superior ninjutsu user, being able to use Water Release without being near the waterside, among many other feats.

*Saru (サル, Monkey). The nickname the Nidaime used for the Sandaime, Sarutobi.

48. Infinite Xero I/O

Oh, thanks. I was looking in they wrong DataBooks, I didn't know they were in DB1.

49. ROKUDAIMEHOKAGE Der Einzige

I would like to know a thing. In chapter 468 Choujurou mentioned Kisame and his terrible sword, the so-called Samehada. Did he just say him and his swords put together make a bijuu-like shinobi or is it that he can actually fuse with his weapon?

50. Nihongaeri 大阪命!ナニワ最高!

Correct, "fuse".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.