1. The Konoha Kennel is back! As a subsection to the Chatterbox, discuss your favorite fauna-related topics at a fun and laid-back pace. From animals to zoos, it's your one-stop destination for critter lovers!

Occupy Wall Street in New York running out of cash

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by baconbits, Mar 14, 2012.

1. baconbits The Optimistic Pessimist

Occupy Wall Street in New York running out of cash

By Michelle Nichols

NEW YORK, March 9 (Reuters) - New York's Occupy Wall Street group is warning it could run out of money by the end of the month, raising questions about the future of the movement that sparked nationwide protests against economic injustice last year.

Donations to the group have slowed six months after it set up camp in a park near Wall Street, igniting the Occupy movement across the United States.
    A report by Occupy Wall Street's accounting group for the week ended March 2 showed it had $44,828 in a general fund in addition to $90,000 set aside to bail protesters out of jail during planned "American Spring" protests.

The report said, "At our current rate of expenditure, we will be out of money in THREE WEEKS."

The report - posted on the group's websitewww.nycga.net - showed $1,556 had been raised that week, while $14,942 had been spent on the group's kitchen, street medics, New York bus and subway passes, and printing costs.

The latest donation total constrasted sharply with the estimated $500,000 the group raised within weeks of setting up camp at Zuccotti Park on Sept. 17.
    Since Occupy Wall Street began, it has received more than $730,000 in donations, according to the accounting group. It has a fiscal sponsor, the Tucson-based Alliance for Global Justice, which allows donations to be tax exempt.

Critics say the Occupy movement lacks direction and specific demands and has lost momentum. Occupy protest crowds in New York and other U.S. cities have tended to number only in the hundreds, despite the group's social media savvy.
    But Occupy Wall Street spokesman Ed Needham said, "The success of the movement has never depended on money."

"Occupy Wall Street is about our abundant human resources - the creative talent, dedication and sweat equity of people here and elsewhere that have decided to stand up against a corrupt and unjust society run by a powerful elite few," he said.

'AMERICAN SPRING'

Inspired by the pro-democracy Arab Spring movement and Spain's "Indignados" movement, Occupy sparked a national debate about economic inequality and has influenced the political debate in this year's U.S. presidential election campaign.

The Occupy movement, which prides itself on being leaderless, has struggled to grow beyond the initial protest camps that sustained it.

Christine Crowther of the Occupy Wall Street accounting group said the group had "a lot planned for the spring and we fully expect the money will start flowing in again,"

A march is planned for March 17 to mark the group's six-month anniversary. Needham said there would also be "Occupy the Fundraisers" protests against money in politics, a March 24 protest against the fossil fuel industry's spending on lobbyists and an April 25 protest against U.S. student debt hitting $1 trillion.
    Crowther said the $90,000 bail fund would allow Occupy members to keep taking to the streets to protest. More than 1,000 people were arrested in previous Occupy protests in New York.

"While we give the dire warning (on finances) so that people will be conscious and considerate of how we're spending our money, we are still going to be able to take care of our people in the way that really matters - making sure that their bail and their court fees are paid," Crowther said.

Occupy Wall Street protesters have been scattered across New York since their camp was evicted from Zuccotti Park in November.

A number of churches offered places to stay for some of the several hundred people who had traveled to New York to join the protest. Occupy Wall Street has also appealed online for more people to "host an occupier in your home and help sustain the movement."

It has been spending several thousand dollars a week on transit passes so protesters can travel to an office space the group has been using in Lower Manhattan and a public atrium of a Wall Street skyscraper it uses for meetings.

--

X

--

OWS is running low on money. Its hilarious that they have to set a fund to bail their members out though ? they are essentially admitting they plan to act like a bunch of thugs.

2. Mael Well-Known Member

Maybe RP can fund him, since he "supports" them and has cash.

This man has obviously never heard of or read about the concepts of logistics for any sustained operation.

But I'll tell you what, OWS. You start getting more involved in actually affecting politics, shed the Fawkes masks, the bongos, the Burning Man, the trolling of NYC subway commuters, and everything that made people detest you and I MIGHT just throw in some dollars to your cause.

Because like it or not, money matters.

3. baconbits The Optimistic Pessimist

They might get a little more funds if they can get the top 1% of their supporters to donate some money...

4. Mael Well-Known Member

Oh ho...saw wut u did thar.

:LOS

But seriously, anyone who thought this movement could go anywhere without money but fueled by idealism and ideas is pants-on-head stupid. The OWS raises a few legitimate concerns, particularly the banking industry and lobbying, but their inability to deliver a concise message and coagulate into a mass that could affect local, state, and federal politics cost them. Plus boneheaded moves like blocking streets for hardworking DC residents or trolling NYC subway commuters (in New York fucking City of all places where you could get stabbed in some areas doing that i.e. Staten Island sorry Lou but lol Staten) cost them PR points. I'd like to see if they actually have a better plan than break shit (Oakland), sit there (Boston), or rant to bank employees (NYC).

5. MF NaruSimpson In memory of Trayvon

OWS should take your approach up, sit on the sidelines, whine and knock other people's efforts.

6. GrandLordAtos Kaito Kid was here~

This kinda just proves what I've thought about OWS all along. They're disorganized, ineffective in their message, and have no realistic outcome in mind. Look where it got them. :facepalm These occupy movements are just a bunch of morons who think they're doing the 'right thing', but end up causing more damage than help, if primarily for the fact that they're so disorganized in their efforts. Like a guy taking a shot in the dark, they'll miss their mark almost guaranteed.

Honestly, I can understand why they're doing this. I just loathe the methods they're using. This is no way to convey a message or provoke change in any governmental system. It's little more than poking a hornet's nest with a stick.

7. Mael Well-Known Member

Well when its supporters like you keep pushing this "NO U B'AWWWWW" mantra, is it any surprise they failed?

Keep dreaming, man. Keep deluding yourself they had no faults at all.

I wouldn't say poking a hornet's nest. It's more like sitting there crying that the hornet's nest exists without providing the bug spray to dispose of it...or having any concrete idea as to remove the nest to begin with.

8. MF NaruSimpson In memory of Trayvon

the OWS are progressives, they aren't military robots with executing an order. they don't operate how you wish they would, it's anathema, if you don't get that you don't understand progressives at all.

9. Megaharrison Eternal President of the Cafe Advisor

If only public defecating was tax deductible.

10. Mael Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm sorry I'm going to need more concrete statements from them besides a hipster-esque "You just don't get it maaaaaaan."

They operated their own way and lost popularity. What do you do when you fail? Adapt, change, and try again.

Your stubbornness is hilarious.

11. MF NaruSimpson In memory of Trayvon

it's a protest, not operation wall street or mission objective destroy wall street. good to know where ur coming from though

12. Mael Well-Known Member

So again you've got nothing but mindless retorts.

Later dude. I'll make sure to ignore your inane viewpoint on this issue going forward.

13. Bishop Pharroh

I already donated mass amounts to them, screw them. No one can call me evil.

14. Mathias124 Active Member

Being a dirty hippie is not an effort.

15. neko-sennin The fun has been bubbled!

...And this was the natural outcome of the movement as it was played. :(

Sad to think there were so many legitimate grievances they could bring to bear, if only they had a plan of action more extensive than public disruption...

I'm kinda surprised it's lasted as long at it has, given how little it's accomplished. There's no need for the Have Mores to impose Absolute Despair when their most public challengers were setting themselves up for it all along. All they have to do is sit in their cushy chairs and wait out the storm until it's spent.

16. HK-47 GB's Icon

Good riddance imo.

17. Roman Forever Flame

Last I heard about them, they were going to protest in front of govt establishments rather than Wall Street. What happened to that exactly? That was actually a step in the right direction.

18. Mael Well-Known Member

I think they're still planning, which as you just said is a step in the right direction. Tea Party, astroturf or not, did this and yielded results. Let's see if it happens from the other side.

Wall Street never gave a shit.

19. MF NaruSimpson In memory of Trayvon

the govt went out of it's way to interfere with the ability of OWS to stage long term protests, that's what happened, and it's a shame more people don't know and complain about it.

20. Unlosing Ranger OBJECTION!

They should form a church of wall street :maybe

21. Roman Forever Flame

Wall Street never gave a shit because in the end, it's not gonna stop their business, it's not gonna stop people from investing and speculating beause they have long-term interests with them as well. Wall Street never had anything to lose, nor has it really shown that it cares for its clients.

I see. So much for freedom of speech. God Bless America :giogio

22. PureWIN Mr. Prince

They're still out there?! Wow. I'm mildly impressed, but I still don't care about them.

23. Sanity Check away fighting dragons

I still think their approach is a bad one.

They're anti-corporate Jehovah's Witnesses.

That may have worked in the 1940's - 1960's, but not quite a good method today.

They would be better off posting clips on youtube and trying to get something funny, informative or entertaining with a potential to achieve viral marketing.

The 1 - 5 million views they would get if they succeeded would be exponentially more exposure than they can achieve protesting on street corners like prostitutes.

Eh.. bad post. :giogio

24. Shinigami Perv Go Hawks!

This is why people call Americans idiots.

Let's bash people protesting a system we know is corrupt and has corrupted our government.

The knee-jerk disdain for anyone who protests anything is depressing, I suspect because there are many idiot fathers who taught their children that Vietnam protestors lost us that war. It doesn't matter who it is, PETA, anti-war crowds, even the most harmless of causes gets the immediate reaction of "lol protestors they're stupid", which is exactly how people in power want you to act.

25. Sanity Check away fighting dragons

Nope, nope.

Which is easier & more efficient.

A. Protesting on a street corner. Reaching maybe 10-100 people, everyday. Most are too busy going to work and can't take the time to listen to what you have to say. Some are apathetic and just don't care. And, even if some listen to you there's no guarantee that you'll be able to frame what you want to see accurately or well within the short time of span you have to get your point across.

B. Use the internet. A good youtube clip can easily reach 1 million+ viewers. Its a better platform for getting your ideas and views across than standing on a street corner talking to someone. You dont risk being arrested and you can rest assured that if people view your clip it may be because theyre interested and have the time to watch and listen. Also, if you can make a funny or entertaining clip that anyone can empathize with you can reach people who normally might not want to listen to what you have to say.

Standing on street corners is like taking a knife to a gun fight.

It has absolutely nothing to do with kneejerk reactionism or bashing protestors. Thanks.

26. Shinigami Perv Go Hawks!

OWS has reached hundreds of millions of people by making the nightly news. They have politicians commenting on them and even our own president. How many people haven't heard their name?

Just putting up a Youtube video wouldn't have been as successful, people can ignore that. There are thousands of political videos on Youtube that can't even get 10k views.

27. Mael Well-Known Member

Lol hundreds of millions. Yeah no.

28. Shinigami Perv Go Hawks!

How many people around the world have at least heard of Occupy Wall Street or seen the initials OWS?

Here is a google search

"Occupy Wall Street" in quotes = About 594,000,000 results (0.25 seconds)

29. MF NaruSimpson In memory of Trayvon

your exactly right, no single youtube video is distinguishable from another , regardless of the value of the content, very few people go on youtube for worthwhile political discussion.

OWS even has a competent media arm, that can publish, create, distribute, etc very effectively. so does the free syrian army.

your also right about the knee jerk disdain for protestors, calling them dirty hippies and burning man wannabes. these classic insults go back to the 60s.

30. Sanity Check away fighting dragons

Making the news isn't the same as having people hear your message.

A 30 second clip of hippies standing on a corner waving signs being arrested doesn't necessarily do anything to further your cause.

Considering how accessible information is over the internet and how convenient it is to advertise that may be the most logical thing to tap.

A lot of people wouldn't be willing to listen to someone on a street corner, but they might be open to watching something on youtube or elsewhere...

There are a lot of people who are college students with no money and no resources who achieve more than a million hits on youtube, btw. That's where being funny and entertaining & being able to market well as opposed to just 'political' comes in.

Do they? I did a search and got nothing...

31. MF NaruSimpson In memory of Trayvon

occupy has hundreds of youtube clips, so it's already done anyway.

32. Shinigami Perv Go Hawks!

This is one of the reasons they can't be heard when making a purely rational arguments. Rational arguments in America get lost in sound bites, ignorance, and the fact that most are too busy to care about yet another political Youtube video.

Civil rights protestors used sit-ins as a way to get attention, editorials in newspapers wouldn't get the same attention.

Their strategy targeted both digital media and conventional media, which is why it has got so much attention.

This hippies label thing is a relic from the 60's to trash people who were right about not wanting to fight a disastrous war.

33. Mintaka Active Member

I agree with mael.

They need to start organizing into something that can make real change. Use it for what it is until you are powerful enough to change it yourselves.

There is no shame in using the system you hate to change the system you hate. Unless it's so fucking corrupt that this change is impossible, however you'd then have to show people that this is the case.

34. Sanity Check away fighting dragons

I see clips, but I don't see a channel owned by them.

Or anything that looks like an attempt to educate, inform, or raise awareness on why protesting on streets is important to OWS members which is really whats lacking in terms of connecting the dots to why some believe its important or worth supporting.

They don't have an identity.

I watch political clips on youtube sometimes, if they're informative and look like good material.

Sit-ins used to be a good method. Keyword: used(past tense).

There may well be better ways of doing things, these days... Unless you happen to be a person who is still cooking their food over a fire they made by banging two rocks together and stuff like that..

35. Mael Well-Known Member

Talking dogs, kittens, and failblog reached hundreds of millions on Google and YT, Shin. What the hell is your point?

Seeing isn't the same as actually doing something, in this case very little was done.

Honestly, the businesses DO NOT GIVE A SHIT. If they gave a shit, applications wouldn't be dropped and parties wouldn't be given making fun of them. Losers will complain that it was all the other guy, the Man, against them. But when there is growing opinion that your message isn't concise and that it's becoming a glorified squatter movement, doubt exists and there's nothing you can do about it.

The goals were admirable and problems do exist. I can't stress this enough in front of people who don't quite get it. The issues were the decentralized positions they took (to which defending this was a mystery) and the clusterfuck of aims in their manifesto. It had zero concrete practicality to it.

Yeah that's not slanted.

36. GrandLordAtos Kaito Kid was here~

True, thanks for catching that. :sweatdrop

37. Bishop Pharroh

This current argument may be irrelevant seeing as the main problems currently are: Low cash, low crowd attendance, low approval rating.

OWS is hated internationally: Many people lost their homes, cars and property because of the pure outbreak of violence and rioting. Many did nothing but loot. These events, plus the amount of tax dollars for property damage, over-shadow OWS' intentions.

As for effectiveness, sadly, I think I'm the only one in here who has actually attended, donated and protested with OWS (In NY, MI and, MD) and trust me, the stereotypes aren't stereotypes. Fact of the matter is the Tea-party that many people on here demonize for some crazy reason, were and are much more effective. I am a tea-party attendee just as much as OWS and I can tell you there is a huge difference, but that is besides the point.

The main problem is that OWS is not liked by the American citizens, their highest approval rating (42% in Nov) was at a time when they had Obama, Micheal Moore and other celebrities behind them (or partially in Obama's case). Now, no one cares for them and they have no one to help pitch in. The big problem is that most of them were hippies and people just there for the party. The whole "there is no boss or head" was the problem, not something to be happy about, thus everything ran amok and money went flying.

There will be a second coming, though. It may not be big, nor effective, nor relevant, but there will be a second coming. Right now the big donaters (people who donated large sums and/or help) are getting emails asking to meet in a certain location in April; this is organization. Instead of me and John (John H is the main person who guided OWS in the public park area, you wouldn't know bc he is not official, just a natural leader) forming teams among the many useless bodies, there is what seems to be about five or six people who have a plan. I can bet my ass at this meeting we're going to talk serious, and when I recommend we hire 5 accountants and only focus on D.C. and NY, you can take to the bank that there will be a second coming. May not be big, may not even be sound, but it will happen.

38. Shinigami Perv Go Hawks!

That they not only got hundreds of millions of mentions on the internet, on Youtube, and on other social media sites, but they also got a mention by Obama and members of congress.

Find me a talking dog or a blog who got a mention from a pol.

Actually it would just be nice to hear what is your criticism of the whole thing. That they didn't get enough attention? I just proved they did. That they didn't get enough serious consideration? The president did, I think that passes the hurdle. That they didn't actually change policy? Find me a Youtube video that ever did.

You think that was slanted? I thought it was objective. Case in point: the medical insurance reform debate. Single payer healt- "LULLLZZZ SOCIALISM" *end of discussion*

39. On and On &#32

To actually get involved in changing politics these days you need money. That's the main idea behind OWS :zaru OWS is more about class consciousness then about actually getting legislation done, I don't think any occupier was actually expecting anything to come of this

And "the Burning Man"? Lmfao, drop "the", and not even Occupier is involved in Burning Man or "burns" period, and neither is every burner an Occupier

:zaru Thanks for telling people something they already know

40. MF NaruSimpson In memory of Trayvon

itt people who miss the point, talking about the messenger, and the medium, not the message, derp

41. Banhammer Banhammer Science

It's an election year
    Occupy will probably return

But excuse me while amuse myself at a sea of repeat posters reminding everyone once again how much no one cares, just to make sure no one forgot that opinion yet.

42. Mael Well-Known Member

Awesome...mentions. Hey, can you tell me if that has actually gotten the pols to implement change or implement some sort of measure directly influenced by OWS?

No?

All the hits and mentions in the world don't mean shit unless action is taken.

My entire criticism? Ok.

1. No precise goal: The manifesto was a confusing mass of idealism, environmentalism, liberal legislature, banking regulation and investment plans very opposite the current SOP, awful ideas on defense budget cuts, a lack of global responsibility that'd make a Paultard cringe, etc.

2. Decentralized movement: There was zero leadership. None. Nada. Zilch. If a movement is to change a nation, it needs to be nationally led and taken form. It wasn't. It was a different tactic for every city and it got to the point where people had enough. I walked by Occupy Boston almost every single day they were there in the fall before I moved to a higher paying job. It was a squatter's movement outside 600 Atlantic Avenue, the Federal Reserve Building, to where there was zero active protesting. The only active protesting I witnessed was at Park Street, NOT at the State House, but at Park Street, where no one gives a shit.

3. The Occupiers. While there were some who had gotten the shaft or vets who found something wrong with the contracting business, many were kids who hadn't a lick of responsibility given to them or some, people I even knew personally in Boston, who were just bored and given something they really thought was a cause.

4. The tactics. Disturbing commutes of both blue and white-collar workers in the NYC subways? Harassing businessmen and women in from going home and in cars with their kids inside? That's supposed to be what we're going to be sympathetic to? No thanks. The very essence of the 99% movement was simply slapping a label on haves and have-nots while not even bothering to compromise. Occupy movements continuously refused joint action with groups like Citizens United and snubbed sympathetic politicians in its nascent stages, ostracizing people from them. So Obama mentioned them or one random Congressman/woman mentions them? Is that going to foment legislative action? Not really...unless the pressure is like Marianas Trench oppressive, it won't. OWS didn't go political because it thought "oh well they all suck." Ok geniuses, how about promoting politicians of your own? Tea Party did, and as astroturd (not a typo) as they were/weren't, they brought people in.

You continuously insult Americans on any social issue unless it's specifically for you. If that isn't slanted, I don't know what is. I already said I've agreed to some of the grievances that OWS presents, but disagree greatly with how they conducted their business. I guess that's progressive heresy.

And look where that got them. You want change? Get to the politics of it. That's concrete. Class consciousness is merely a mental and emotional notion. It doesn't force banks to stop their shitty lending. It doesn't stop lobbying for unscrupulous oiling companies. It doesn't tighten the screws on bloated defense contracts for defunct weaponry/aircraft. And "the" or not is semantics. Get rid of the fucking hipster aspect of it. The Fawkes masks and everything else isn't a fucking 4chan fest or Woodstock. This is supposed to be serious...so take it seriously instead of trolling, whining, and demanding someone else change while not presenting step-by-step strategies. Some people consider that too military, but fuck that. That's how you get things done.

Thank you I'm here all week.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  43. Momoka sunshine lolipops and rainbows

This whole Occupy movement's just waste of goods and donation money.

I didn't know that they were still continuing :giogio

44. hcheng02 Active Member

OWS might get more funding if they didn't think that any mainstream support is an attempt to corrupt heir holy mission of revolutionary political change.

X

45. Momoka sunshine lolipops and rainbows

This is pathetic. If you have the money, then donate it to a worthy cause or do something about the economy.

46. MF NaruSimpson In memory of Trayvon

sounds like mael's mad that the ows can't finish their protests and win already lol, it's taking them too long!

47. hcheng02 Active Member

The OWS haven't progressed beyond being a public nuisance and are now in the brink of going broke. They influenced no politicians, advocated no plan or policy, and has not accomplished anything. Even goddamn maniacs like the Tea Party has more influence than OWS, and that is fucking depressing.

When everyone from media elites and politicians to the average Joe on the street are complaining about a lack of message, maybe its about time the OWS, you know, get a clear message.

48. On and On &#32

@ Mael: I don't think there was ever really any hope of OWS changing anything, it more making people aware of it. And honestly, it needed to happen, because there are still people who think that shit that's going on between big money and legislation somehow doesn't influence their lives.

The very fact that it people started realizing other people think the same way is leading to some people making changes in their lives right now. It turned into bullshit really quickly - somethings like this usually do because it becomes hip for not only commonfolk but for celebrities, politicians, and everyone else, but it needed to happen, and I'm glad it did. Honestly, the politics which control the situation are way too ridiculously complex for a group of people with no sort of real structure to change, and we all know that's the problem.

Also, fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck I'm so angry fuck fuck fuck fuck fu- stop it :giogio

49. MF NaruSimpson In memory of Trayvon

move on and rebuild the dream are just 2 of the organizations that are helping galvanize ows towards a political message, i must have said that a thousand times but mael and his kind has earwax or just refuses to pay attention

50. hcheng02 Active Member

Those 2 groups a just a minority within the OWS that are no more influential than the dozens of other various viewpoints within OWS. There is no indication that they will succeed, or that that they are even making any decent headway with most of OWS.