1. The NF rules of conduct have been updated in response to the Xenforo upgrade. Please review them here.
  2. Please discuss and vote on the fate of the reputation system here.
  3. The forum medals contest is being extended for another month. Check this thread for more information.

Obito's Motivation is much deeper then Rin..

Discussion in 'Konoha Library' started by Dr. White, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Dr. White Smell nice? it's Moonflower

It has come to my attention that alot of people here keep dissing Kishimoto because they think Obito simply wants to put the world under Infinite Tsukuyomi because he got friend zoned..It is much deeper than this, and I will try and explain I how feel Obito is being portrayed.

Obito's flashback dedication chapter in 599 revealed much more to us than a partially screwed up timeline. It showed us some of his key motivation for being the villian he is today. For instance let us examine his first scene. Obito is running late for the first day of the academy, and shows up unprepared his only hope is Rin, who pulls clutch and has his papers.

Then we come to a scene of the Chunin Exams, and important step in any ninja who dreams of becoming Hokage's path. Whilst other Shinobi are duking it out in the Forest of Death, we see Obito running late on time like usual helping an old Lady. His reward for being a kind person is some candy.(most likely butterscotch) Obito then full of pure hype arrives by his teamates side, and eager to impress rin goes for his Trump move: Goukakyu no Jutsu. In the end his token of admiration(reward for helping someone) ends in his downfall, and subsequent Dynamic Entry Kick to the face, his hopes of impressing Rin and his teammates crushed.

We then see Rin helping Obito patch up his wounds, and we catch a rare glimpse of Obito showing pride in his Clan, and we see his Dream of becoming Hokage for the first time to which Rin encourages him. Subsequently we see Obito train hard train long and hard on his battle prowess due to Rin's words of encouragement. But when Obito gets to the match, he is beat rather easily. Only to go on and watch Guy and Kakashi receive all the attention. Kakashi receives Chunin and manages to impress Rin, but Obito did not give up and eagerly went on training to eventually receive his chunin coat. We see now that Rin approaches him in secret, and tells him to meet her. Obito hoping that his hardwork has finally payed off, and he will receive the recognition he deserves, is crushed to find that Rin was planning a surprise party for Kakashi.

Going in order are next time for him would be his mission during the Great Ninja War. During this time, once again he is being outshone by Kakashi being the Jounin of the team. After a sneak attack and abduction of Rin he and Kakashi don't see eye to eye on how to progress. Obito once again acting as the good guy can not turn his back on Rin, subsequently uttering the phrase that would shape Kakashi's ninja way, in his emotional stage of fear/anger Obito unlocks his sharingan, the first thing that would have allowed him to fight on par with his fellow classmates, and gain recognition. After saving Rin through great teamwork they make a mistake in not killing the jounin, the rockfall then kills Obito as his second to last act of Valor was saving Kakashi's life. In his final moments he realizes his demise, and entrust his sharingan to Kakashi as well as the safety of Rin. With no hope for his future he entrust his only shed of happiness to Kakashi which was the person that fed his dreams, and encouraged him. Obito dies in complete shadows, while Kakashi's name will ring out to the world..

The next part we can only assume but he is then somehow involved with Madara in which he is healed, and modified to become a deadly fighter. Note Madara is an Uchiha who saw his hope(of the Uchiha rising) fall right before his eyes, as well while his rival Hashirama got to live in Valor. This plays a key part.

Assessment:
    From the Data Gathered we can infer that Obito's motives are much deeper than they seem to be on the surface. Obito is not some heartbroken Emo kid, who is dreading the loss of a cute girl and therefore making the world pay, no romance is one of the many influences of "Tobi".

Hopelessness:
    -Obito feels extremely destitute. No matter how hard he worked in his life he was outshone by Natural Genius, everytime he showed success of rose in the ranks Kakashi or Gai were their to show him his place. His hope of hokage was slim, as well as his chance with Rin. Obito's death plays a major role in why he is so hopless as I will later explain.

Heroes:
    -Throughout Obito's whole life he was shown to be a hero. Helping Old ladies across the street, keeping his positive demeanor, choosing to Save Rin, and saving Kakashi at the cost of his own life. Obito was always choosing the right thing to do, but sadly nothing ever came of it. Being the "good guy" got him no where in life, even amoral Kakashi got results, and he was no where near as kind, or benevolent as Obito. Despite this, none of this had relevance on who was successful or not in the Ninja world, Obito's works of great good would go unoticed and smally rewarded everytime. Even for his acts of going to save rin and saving Kakashi, all Obito gained in the end was death. It went to show him this reality is meaningless, there is no such thing as hope, and blissfully believing in something will get you no where. Obito wants to create a perfect world where the imprefections of human society will be eradicated, and Heroe's wont have to exist because everyone will be perfect. Obito is trying to essentially make a utopia. Much deeper than what most think of him.

Brainwashed:
    Possibly the most important part is the leap over the fence, Obito's life may have not been the best but at least head friends and was a true hero to the end right? Well, as we know the power of spoken word(cough TNJ cough) can be very powerful. Madara could have easily twisted the delicate mind of young Obito into a student of darkness he is today. Together with a disciple who has felt pain like him first hand Madara could get the revenge he so desperately wanted, and could finally reign supreme. Alot of people don't understand how people can be manipulated in a time of despair or hopelessness and Obito is a perfect example of this.

2. Dr. White Smell nice? it's Moonflower

3. Namikaze Minato Konoha's Yellow Flash

Did you just 5 star your own thread? :facepalm

4. Gilgamesh Null

More like:

"Fuck this gay Earth, I'm making my own fake world now where i can be with my dead non girlfriend."

5. Last Rose of Summer Active Member

Thank you for this thread. I'm fed up with all this "LOL friendzoned" nonsense.

6. PikaCheeka wants to believe

The damage has been done.

7. WolfPrinceKiba WPKO OUTTA NOWHERE!

I quite agree, though I didn't put nearly so much thought into it as you did. It was obvious to me just from how quickly and casually Obito said it, then made a joke of the situation. People are just taking the manga at face value and they're going to look foolish for it later.

8. shinethedown Mr D

Agreed, all this chapter confirmed was that Obito didn't tell Kakashi he was alive because he let Rin die ,his reasoning for being a villian has yet to be confirmed. I hope this post doesn't come back to bite me in the ass next week :maybe

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  9. Shaz &#32

His jimmies weren't ready.

10. Saturnine Escaping the Wood in Vain

This is a substantial theory. I liked. BTW how can you see who rated a thread and how many stars?

11. Brainsucker Just Ordinary People

if his motivation is the death of Rin, why he didn't kill Kakashi first? Why he didn't take back his eyes from Kakashi?

12. Hossaim Diana OP

Makes too much sense for Naruto.

13. Eliyua23 Active Member

That pretty much sums it up, also to add he was the loser of the battle proud Uchiha Clan

14. Kakka Carrot Cake Member

Remember when everyone took Tobi's word that he was Madara? I mean honestly, the guy smirked and joked in his very next panel. People need to stop jumping the gun. Maybe he is using Rin's death to throw Kakashi off *hint* Obito's got enough dirt on Kakashi to last a life time.

15. Kronin World Saviour

When I read the chapter I thought that it was clear (IMO)

All the villains becoming so starting from a personal reason. It's inevitable, I thought that it was logical that the motive at the beginning for Obito to become Tobi (indipendetely from a manipulation of Madara) was the death of Rin, and so the "betrayal" of Kakashi.

The same was for Nagato (the death of the parents and yahiko), for Darth Vader (the will to save Padme) ecc... These reasons, sometimes from the beginning, sometimes (like I think in the case of Obito) after "meditating" on, evolve to things much more bigger and general.

The same Obito in the chapter doesn't appear mad at Kakashi, soon after he says that it's useless blame the past: I want say that Obito is the first one to have accepted the death of Rin, maybe more than the same Kakashi. Obito want a world where nothing of bad could happen like he said to Kakashi in the recent chapters, he don't think just to her classmate, this would be enough to could say that Rin is no more the main reason for Obito to become Tobi, also if surely is the more important because the trigger event (exactly like Yahiko for Nagato, he started from that loss to think to live in a world of peace).

EDIT: Sorry for the errors, but I'm not to home and I have hurry, later I will develope this better if needed...

16. Gaawa-chan Telocvovim

Edit: I've noticed... that some people seem to be overlooking something that seems important to me.

Obito asking Kakashi to look after Rin was what he believed would be his dying wish. That Obito's 'dying' wish was broken possibly embittered and disillusioned him; Hell, I'd be pretty pissed off in his place.

Anyway, just another piece worth considering.

No, because not everyone did. I think you can guess which amongst us didn't.

17. Saunion Active Member

I'm not sure what's the point of that long winded tripe. Yeah Obito failed despite his efforts. So? How do we get from "I fail but I don't give up because I'm a hero!!!" to "fuck dis sheet, I'm not going anywhere I'll just destroy the world instead!!!"? From what we know, the triggering event was RIN'S DEATH. That's what put him over the edge. You can type till your fingers bleed, that won't change what Kishimoto has written.

18. Easley

I certainly hope his motivation is much deeper than Rin, but he said it clearly "it's because... you let Rin die". If he said something like "it's complicated, there's many reasons" I'd be more forgiving and eager to know more.

19. Yagami1211 This title has been overriden by Trombe!

Saying that wouldn't give that much grief to Kakashi.

20. shinethedown Mr D

Look at Kakashi said to Obito X

"If you were alive.. How come until now...?" Kakashi is more or less asking why he didn't come back, why he didn't tell him he's alive. And Obito answered that question, we don't know his reasons for being a villian yet, just why he didn't return to Kakashi.

21. Easley

Yes, it was just to get a reaction out of Kakashi - whether it sounds petty or not. It's not even close to a solid motivation for the shit he's done.

Why does Rin dying stop him returning to Konoha? Even if he hates Kakashi for "letting" her die that doesn't mean he has to hate everyone and everything and start wars.

22. Zeref Dragneel Self-Proclaimed Knight

Well spoken. :quite

23. shinethedown Mr D

Pulled a Sasuke perhaps :maybe

Still i would guess that after her death was when Madara started manipulating him. Helped him lose faith in humanity and all that jazz. But for now I say don't judge Obito as a villian for now.

24. Arya Stark .

Anyone with a proper brain knows that Rin is not the only reason. They're just hating.
    I love Anakin's story of becoming Darth Vader so...

25. Klue 輪廻

Your theory doesn't improve Obito's character at all. So he became a guy that uses hatred, would willingly kill a new born, his sensei and wife, Hiruzen's wife, his home village, his own clan, was joyful to see Sasuke betray his comrade, all for some of the lamest reasons I have ever had the displeasure of reading:

• Lost Rin.
    • Felt hopeless.
    • His belief in heroes got him nowhere.
    • Possible brain washing.

:giogio

I fully expect to the author to more reasons why Obito is the way he is now, but like I said, this thread isn't helping at all.

26. Dolohov27 Incinerated

Obito is starting to remind me of this guy.

X

:giogio

27. Eikichi Onizuka Pimp Zoro

Thank You all of these show a lack of true resolve. The fact that he brought Rin up period won't change my mind on the fact that he is now a terrible villain. Also what if Rin dying was his true motivation, sometime the simple answer is one to a complex solution. You may be other thinking it OP. I just can't go out on and make those assertions because from all the flashbacks I just see a boy who liked a girl who didn't like him back but rather their friend. He wished to be more like their friend so that just maybe the girl would want him. Nothing about hopelessness or some of the other topics you brought up.

28. Summers look at my sig

While at first that does sound like a better more complex reason, at second it really is his life doesn't go his way so he screw everyone over. Including people who have nothing to do with him. Or what Klue said.

29. Dr. White Smell nice? it's Moonflower

Obito has shown on countless occasions that he doesn't want to talk to anyone, or explain himself because he doesn't give two shits about this world. Telling Kakashi one sentence is not what pushed him over board, anyone who takes such values at face judgment shouldn't read literature. Plus, I explained in the thread that Rin was a part of it, but not all of it. Losing the one person who makes you feel sane, and ecnourages you, after your best friend swore he would protect her after you sacrificed your life for his is understandable, add in some evil TNJ from one of the most vial ninja ever, and you got yourself a villian

30. Setsuna00 No Fear

You have no idea how many people fail hard at this simple fact. It's mind boggling.

31. Zen-aku The Bad Guy

that makes no fucking sense if any thing he's more like this guy

X

32. Kage

god i hope so. i literally groaned out loud when he said it's because kakashi let rin die.

33. Setsuna00 No Fear

Please show me your proof. Seriously please show me.

34. Big Bad Wolf El Jefe De Mundo

hardly the same thing. Anakin did what he did for a multitude of reasons. Obito says it himself in 600 & his rant about false heroes who can't keep promises that Rin being dead is pretty much the sole reason for what he's done some of everything for. He's directing all of this as being Kakashi's fault & not Konoha's or the Uchiha's but it didn't stop him from wanting both destroyed for w/e reason

35. mlc818 end war!

Definitely. I don't know why anyone chooses to ignore all the rest of Obito's life. Even tragedies and wars that occur (that weren't caused by Obito and Madara) are further proof to Obito that the Mugen Tsukiyomi is the correct path.

He probably said Rin to get to Kakashi, and because Rin's (tragic) death is a perfect example to Kakashi of why Obito has given up on the world.

But the death of people close to you is a pretty common reason for hate and war, so I don't really see why anyone thinks Obito is lacking in motivation. His plan is already crazy, obviously there isn't any rational & logical justification to put the entire world under an illusion to prevent suffering, so it's not as if "his motive isn't proportional to the Moon's Eye plan" is a valid complaint.

Lol, Kishi is not saying that Obito is correct in wanting this. In fact, Kishi (and Naruto and Kakashi probably) will be saying that Obito has made a mistake, and people must continue to fight (and with free will) to improve the cruel world. Arguing that Obito's motive is dumb because his evil plan is disproportionate to the suffering he's endured is stupid, because we have people like Nagato, Sasori, Deidara, Danzou, and even Itachi who made many crazy decisions, and that didn't make them bad characters. It just said they were crazy or misled.

36. gabzilla Yuri Queen

This should be obvious tbh :lmao But this is a really interesting character analysis, OP.

37. Coldhands A Thousand Eyes, and One

No, I think Kishi is just doing this for lulz. He made this whole thing up just to see how much bullshit he could come up with without the fandom abandoning him. Going pretty good so far.

38. BatoKusanagi NaruHina: The Last Movie

Tl;dr Rin is Helen of Troy. Totally worth starting a war over.