1. Fancy yourself a sleuth, evil mastermind, debating pro, and/or just plain love One Punch Man? If so, sign up for Akihabara Lounge's first Mafia game, themed on One Punch Man.

LINK
  2. Hey you

Yeah you!

Have you always wanted to impress Gordon Ramsey with your culinary skills?

Well you can't...

But you can impress the NF community by joining the Cooking Contest in the Bento Box!

And we promise we won't make you cry like him.
  3. Throwback Naruto : Hidden Village of Art has launched a new contest related to Naruto where Love and Spring is in the air, until next June 21.
    To know more click on the link: Spring Canon Pairings Drawing contest !!
  4. The latest NF Newsletter is out (June), read it here

[Popularity Poll] Naruto Uzumaki

Discussion in 'Konoha Library' started by Platypus, Jan 1, 2017.

Score:

Poll closed Jan 11, 2017.
  1. 1

15.4%
  2. 2

2.2%
  3. 3

8.8%
  4. 4

3.3%
  5. 5

5.5%
  6. 6

5.5%
  7. 7

7.7%
  8. 8

15.4%
  9. 9

3.3%
  10. 10

33.0%
  1. Hussain .

maybe I don't. :smoke

2. blackguyinpinksuit Well-Known Member

Those four positive points being spread out for his redeemable traits/moments he's had in his 700 chapter run as a titular character. The bad obviously outweighs the good however.

I'm sure everyone expected big things from him as a main character, but nearly everything towards the later stages of the manga went to hell including his character(which we had the pleasure of seeing on full display since he's the main character). The reasons are already stated in this thread so i won't beat a dead horse.

Even his powers can't save him when you factor in the fact that his fighting style is everything synonymous with boring(doppelgangers and energy power spheres galore). Kishi had chances to expand his combat versatility with SM and kyuubi mode but he even made those do stupid stuff like chakra share etc.

3. Haruka Katana (Φ ω Φ)つ¤=[]:::::::::::>

The titular character finally :naruramen

Part 1 Naruto: I like part 1 Naruto a lot. He was relatable to me, he is strong, he has determination, he was actually badass.

Part 2 Naruto is just bad, first was his Sasuke obsession, then hyperventilation, then child of lolprophecy, then Ninja jesus. Kishi sometimes makes everyone around him shit so Kishi could make Naruto the "better" character. And lets not forget his "Obito is the coolest guy!!!111" BS.

In the end, 7/10 because of part 1 bias, at the end of the day tho I still like Naruto :catcry

4. Arles Celes The Psychologist

On the positive side: He never did suck Madara's dick. :hurr

5. -Ziltoid- the Agenda

Naruto had always been my favourite character, but then Kishi turned him into a ninjajezus. Pt1 Naruto's naivety and stupidity were at least logically explained by the shitty life he's had up till then, but in pt2 Kishi lost practically every excuse to keep holding the kid back like that. Worse, Kishi abandoned every sense of sanity when he callously destroyed Naruto's character for the sake of adding some first-world problems for spoiled little Boruto. I mean, the 'one man army' can't deal with the tasks of a Hokage? Fuck that shit. Though Naruto barely changing a thing about his shitty world is perhaps even worse. The ending of the manga really was a huge disappointment for his character. Then again, Kishi already lost any semblance of interest in the manga long before that.

In hindsight Naruto started slipping after the encounter with Pein, where he simply didn't come up with any answer whatsoever. The way he kept clinging to that traitorous Uchiha bitch only made things worse. Not to mention the way he seemingly forgave Obito for all the shit he pulled- just because Obito wanted to be Hokage. Of course, Naruto's downfall is parallel to Kishimoto's declining ability to write a proper manga, though it doesn't make it easier tbh. Oh well, at least he didn't have lolhaxxeyes and the accompanying brain disease, even if he ended up being the biggest Uchiha wanker of them all.

I'm still giving a 8/10, but mostly for old time's sake. I admit that if I'd be completely fair and unbiased I'd probably end up rating him lower :catstabbed

6. Shining Force Shining in the Darkness

The old me would give 1/10, but I would give him 6/10 now, at least for the nostalgia of the series.

7. -Azula- ~

I agree with taking points from Naruto because of child of prophecy.

But I think with the manga nearing the end kishi realized this and tried to remedy this by introducing an arguably even dumber concept of transmigants/Ootsukis so that Naruto is not the only one at the center and sasuke has an excuse to tag along at every possible page.

Hey we are actually brothers from another life, that means we are bound by destiny, every powerup is 50/50, cheap combination jutsu and stupid poses!
    Made it even worse.:scust

I must have read it a long time ago but some posters suggested that Child of Prophecy could have been better by making Nagato the sole Child of Prophecy who fails, while Naruto proves the prophecy wrong.
    Or something like that. :catthinks

8. Sword Sage Swordsman in Training

It would've been alot better if Naruto was the Naruto that everyone else loved in part 1 and in Pain arc. the Pain arc should've been the final arc as its been a centered story of Naruto Uzumaki himself and later after it ruined his whole character that every world is tied to Sasuke.

I wouldn't the Ootsuki origin but if only that the Hyuga clan and Byakugan had involvement that way it would like give us some foreshadowing development of Kaguya's appearance rather than an ass pull to come up as an excuse to kill off Madara.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  9. Kusa Well-Known Member

I liked him mostly but he is really shitty written

10. Aphrodite Global Moderator

In part 1 he got on my nerves and i didn't like him, but he eventually grew on me besides his Sasuke love obsession. 8/10

11. HoroHoro Well-Known Member

I would've given Naruto a somewhat higher score, if he was consistently written throughout the series. Consistency aside, Naruto's negative characteristics far outweighs his positive, and more redeeming qualities.

Worse yet, Kishimoto never addressed his flaws with sincerity. For example, Naruto wanted to become Hokage because he wanted attention. His dream wasn't as egocentric in the Chunin Exams arc where he didn't turn the conversation about himself, and really meant when he told Neji he was going to change the Hyuga clan's caste system... Only to regress back to being attention demanding. He once said in the War arc that it's the ones who are acknowledged who becomes Hokage. Kishimoto tried to portray Naruto's reasoning to aspire to become a leader in a positive light.

Second, his Talk no Jutsu. It's just that bad, lol. Most of his Talk no Jutsu sessions are plot-induced flip-flopping, when Naruto confronts a villain, he'd usually sit down and talk for a few minutes with them, with said antagonist crying about the injustices of the system. In turn, Naruto himself never had an answer, he lacked philosophical depth compared to villains like Nagato or Obito. He dismissed their reasoning behind their villainy, their conviction, and views as, "You're wearing a mask, bro. You're full of anger and hate," or, "You're just lonely, bro. I know that feeling."

What makes it even more terrible is the fact that Kishimoto used their backstories as a device for Naruto to convince them into converting to the good side, hence the reason he went as far as to give them a similar background and ambition as Naruto's. It's beyond stupid.

Third, his underdog characterization, it's a mess even as back as the first chapter. Initially, he was presented as an underdog, a natural underachiever that isn't talented. That's not true, he mastered something as advanced as the Shadow Clone which only took a few hours, he managed to summon the chief toad Gamabunta and has therefore a crazy amount of innate potential. He learned the Rasengan in two weeks, whilst Minato couldn't even fully complete it. He learned how to manipulate wind chakra and went on his way to create Rasenshuriken shortly after. He mastered the Sage Mode in a couple of months, something not even a Sannin, Jiraiya, could achieve in his lifetime. That is some super ultra prodigy feat. He's supposed to be untalented, and make it up with hardwork, it’s just a red herring, something which youtubers like Code Provider and KingOfLightning called out years ago.

Fourth, his obsession with Sasuke, lol. It's even creepier than Sakura's with Sasuke or Hinata's with Naruto. I would be really freaked out if I had someone like him as a friend, forcing me to do what he tells me and threaten to break all my bones or die by his side if I don't cater his feelings. It must suck for Sasuke being Naruto's best friend, tbqh.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Corvida Anda de dia la noche es mia

Becasue I want.

Same will go for Sasuke, Sakura and Hinata.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  13. ninex Member

One of the worst main characters in shonen history.

14. Brook Well-Known Member

His annoying talk no jutsu in part 2 prevented him from being a top tier MC but i still think he was pretty great overall.

15. MasterORB Active Member

I give him a 6 and why, trough out the show is was a very up lifting kid that no matter how bad the situation was he was always got a feel good smile. what ruined the character is easy, they made him the end of be all, that make him only one that could save everyone and basically the chosen one, because if your rival and your teacher are more popular than the main character don't make him the special it just ruin it. Oh if it was for the anime writing i would give him a 1 out 10.

16. Milliardo G.L.P.

Not gonna lie I never liked him. Naruto was the typical Shonen hero that was happy, cheery little boy wanting to save the day crap. I never really viewed him as an underdog really as he always had Kyuubi giving him power and chakra.. His personality was very bland to me. I will give him a 4/10 to be nice.

17. Iwanko Active Member

!0/10. He is one of the best developed shounen mc being at first glance 100 % Goku copy.

18. Arles Celes The Psychologist

Wow, so many negative votes for Naruto. :wha

The previous poll was going much better for him.

Is it really because he did not kill Sasuke and was so obsessed with him? Or due to the chosen prophecy? But with the prophecy its mostly Kishi's fault for introducing such element into the plot. It got very little if anything at all with Naruto's character as he never wanted to be a "chosen one".

Anyway I'd rate him 8/10. He isn't perfect but I still like him. :hurr

Perhaps we should open a thread for part 1 and part 2 versions of certain characters? Like part 1 Naruto and part 2 Naruto? :hmm

19. Source out-the airlock assistant

4/10 for reasons stated in this thread that I won't repeat for the millionth time.

Why is it so bad that he wants Boruto to refer to him by his title in the office and not "Dad"? Just because he himself was disrespectful and bad mannered when he was a kid doesn't mean he should let his son be the same.

Agreed with the Orochimaru part, though. Kishi was too busy writing about stupid, forced parenting issues to realize that letting him go is dumb as fuck, or to show what Naruto's actually done as Hokage...

20. Hussain .

10/10. I have always loved Naruto's core personality and always will. Characters change and develop as a story progresses, but at his core, Naruto always retained his same can do spirit and personality. Yes, he had character flaws, but that is what makes a character human. I honestly don't give a crap about the whole 'child of destiny', reincarnated son of the Sage business behind Naruto and his rise to the top. I'm more interested in his personal journey than in whether he is a child of destiny or a rebirth of a past soul (who failed in achieving his destiny).

In spite of all his 'gifts' (his lineage, both spiritual and physical, and his Jinchuuriki status) Naruto still had to fight his way to where he is. Nothing was handed to him on a silver platter--he had to work for his growing achievements, relying on his never give up attitude and his ability to connect with others. Naruto may have appeared to be a dead last who came up from nothing, but from the beginning he was the Fourth's son: He was always special, but neither his world nor his readers knew just how special. Doesn't bother me in the least.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  22. HoroHoro Well-Known Member

lolno

Naruto's ninja way is overrated, just because he exclaims it every two seconds doesn't mean it has any substance. He was on the brink of giving up many times throughout the series, especially in the War arc against Madara and Obito. The dude was about to give up as soon as Neji died and a bunch of fodders got their lives sucked dry by the Shinju tree, Ino and Shikamaru's parents died, a bunch of minor characters got their entire divisions wiped out, and yet, he's supposed to be a role model of the ideal to never give up? I think you're talking Rock Lee when it comes to never giving up, he's the one who never gave up or was on the brink of it, even when he was at his lowest unlike Naruto.

Besides that point, he had no reason to give up in the first place because he's rarely challenged by people whose name isn't Sasuke. The vast majority of the villains barring Madara, submitted themselves to his Talk no Jutsu session although he never had an answer to their arguments. Kishimoto tried to convince his readers that Naruto is charismatic, that he has this unique ability to connect with people, even the most malicious, but in reality, he just made Naruto spout some corny lines to force his readers to believe that he's magnetic and let the plot device that is Talk no Jutsu handle the characters he confronts.

And we already went through this, he never worked hard like Rock Lee or Might Guy did, he's not an underachiever, he's just a late bloomer like Jiraiya. In canon, Naruto is really, really privileged in terms of innate power, he's the only character with both the bloodline power of the Six Paths and a Tailed Beast inside of him, the strongest on top of that. He also had access to better training than most characters in the entire series, he had five teachers who are considered legends in-universe (Kakashi, Jiraiya, Yamato, Fukasaku, Killer B).

The readers always knew Naruto was special all along. The series prologue started with Minato sealing the Nine-Tails into Naruto. The people surrounding Naruto in-universe praised him for his innate potential. Iruka and Kakashi called Naruto special, praising him for his mastery of the Shadow Clone by the beginning of the series. Jiraiya praised him for learning how to summon chief toad Gamabunta in just a few days, and Sasuke himself praised Naruto for his talents he has showncased in his battle against Gaara and their confrontation in the Final Valley.

23. Iwanko Active Member

Yes. But of course for Uchiha wankers like you he is bad character.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • List
  24. SoulFire! Venerable Sage

I never alluded to Naruto's nindo, however, I am not going to condemn his reaction at having someone he is personally acquainted with bleeding out on his shoulder. What that did was bring home to him the enormity of the sacrifice around him and he was basically frozen in horror (the conclusion that he was 'ready to give up' is an assumption). Hinata slapped him out of his horrified stupor, assured him with her words and her touch and invigorated his resolve.

Obito did a pretty fair job of firing TnJ right back at Naruto (the back and forth between them went on far too long, to be honest). Talk no Jutsu doesn't really bother me all that much. As I see it TnJ was Kishi's way of promoting the idea that people are more alike than they are different at their core--whatever our differences we all share the experience of joys and sorrows and perhaps if we could see ourselves in others it would be better for the world. Sure it's a corny and simple idea, but there is a truth in it.

This is your view. Yes, Naruto had the pedigree and the Kyuubi, but he had to discover how to make use of both through hard work and determination. He was certainly not treated as a child of privilege and had to discover on his own (by working on it all night) what would become his signature move. Naruto worked himself to exhaustion in order to learn to harness the wind and techniques such as waterfall cutting. He always put his heart and soul into everything he did as far as training goes.

Being the unknowing (and unstable) vessel for a hate filled Bijuu over which you have no control is hardly an automatic plus. Taking on Kurama was no piece of cake, not to mention figuring out how to use the Kyuubi power once it was in his possession.

I should hope that Konoha provided him with top tier teachers worthy of training him to handle his position as village Jinchuuriki--a position he had no say in taking.

Naruto's 'special' background was something that readers enjoyed guessing about early on: His similar appearance to the Fourth, etc. Of course the presence of the Kyuubi in his gut was known--it was a problematic part of the plot line to be explored.

As for his world, only those with a need to know initially understood just how special Naruto was--and even those few wouldn't know how far that 'specialness' extended until near the end of the story. Most of Konoha considered Naruto a nuisance at least and an unstable Bijuu bomb at most. Of course, as Naruto proved his metal those around him took notice, eventually won over by his feats and abilities as time passed. Is that really surprising in a manga titled Naruto?

25. Zensuki (⌐■_■)–︻┻┳══━一

8/10

Main characters are crucial for me sticking with a series and Naruto was a reason why. Loved his guts and more importantly, the faith he had in his bonds. Probably one of the best shounen protagonists to be made in the genre.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  26. HoroHoro Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with being an Uchiha wanker, Naruto's simply just an awful character generally speaking, and his apparent character development which the fans tends to revel has little to no substance and impossible to maintain in the long mile when he regresses back to being vain, whiny and attention demanding. If you want well-developed shonen heroes, then there's Kenshin, Joe Yabuki, Sakuragi Hanamichi, Elric brothers, Yoshimori Sumimura and Zatch Bell/Kiyo. Want shonen heroes who are actually entertaining? There's Goku, Gintoki, Joseph Joestar, Yusuke, Yoh and Meliodas.

What sets him apart from any other shonen heroes? His backstory? Backstories about bullying, being an orphan and a recluse are all common tropes in shonen manga, let alone young adult literature such as Harry Potter. His personality? There's nothing unique about him that makes him stand out from your get-go shonen hero other than his preachy attitude, shonen mangaka are often asked to use the goofy archetype for their protagonists because it's a proven popular formula. Just because Naruto Uzumaki is the first character of his kind you saw on TV when you were young, doesn't mean he's necessarily special or good.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  27. WorldsStrongest The Prodigal Son

Shounen MCs as a general rule are trash, but shounen MCs who say dattebayo are even worse than trash, and shounen MCs who totally shit on their underdog origins that once made them a decent character are even worse than that.

No pussyfooting, naruto isnt a well written character, he used to be interesting back in part 1, which im sure will be the popular opinion, but with part 2 he just took a nose dive from top of the shitty character tree and he hit every single branch on the way down.

In part 1 he was a hard working underdog, who persevered and actually made himself liked and well known and respected with his own determination, and was acknowledged by sasuke in their VOTE fight which is a goal he set for himself forever ago, which is admirable and inspiring.

In part 2, he was literally handed everything on a silver platter and even the things he "trained" for were essentially tailor made for him, and him alone, to be able to accomplish. He literally never once leaves his element to achieve something, and hardly struggles anymore as a result.

With his FRS training, naruto is the only one in the verse capable of doing said training with the KB method thanks to his high reserves. And his SM training, you need high reserves and "the guts to never give up"...guess what naruto has been known for since day one?

Then there was the whole reincarnation nonsense that took yet another dump on the character that was once known as naruto the underdog, who is now known as the shinobi world version of jesus.

As an adult, hes a shit parent with literally no reason to be...he has the tools to be the perfect father and husband annd sp[end every waking hour with his family and do no work thanks to his KBs, yet he does the exact opposite, and sends his bitch ass KBs that he can no longer maintain for some stupid reason to put in face time with his family even on his kids Bdays..genius

In summary...

Part 1 naruto: No lower than 8/10 for sure

Part 2 naruto: Can i rate him lower than 1?

Average Score and final rating: 4.5

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  28. Closet Pervert Legendary Pervert

He was alright before Kage Summit. So for that, i give him 4/10. Otherwise, he's the worst after Itachi, Sakura and Karin. Oh yeah the adult version in the final chapter was ok.

29. Haruka Katana (Φ ω Φ)つ¤=[]:::::::::::>

This quote man... so good :catsweat

30. WorldsStrongest The Prodigal Son