1. Miss Akihabara 2017: Preliminary Round: Nominations & Qualifications (inc. Naruto and one piece).
    Is currently being held in the Akihabara district, visit the thread here to find out more.

[Popularity Poll] Naruto Uzumaki

Discussion in 'Konoha Library' started by Platypus, Jan 1, 2017.

Score:

Poll closed Jan 11, 2017.
  1. 1

15.4%
  2. 2

2.2%
  3. 3

8.8%
  4. 4

3.3%
  5. 5

5.5%
  6. 6

5.5%
  7. 7

7.7%
  8. 8

15.4%
  9. 9

3.3%
  10. 10

33.0%
  1. Platypus Moderator Moderator

Naruto

XX
    XX
    XX
    XX
    XX
    X

X

Previous Poll Here | Main Thread Here | Next Poll Here
    Or click the Pop. Poll tag on the section page.

2. The Orange Hokage Member

5/10. Went from a hardworking underachiever to ninja Jesus. :catpathy

3. ℜai 노블레스

10/10

Shitty dad :catstab

4. Kusuo P Member

Love him in Part 1. Part 2 meh/ok. I quite enjoy Adult Naruto 6 or 7/10

5. ChronaSE Monochrome World

Hate how he turned out as an adult though. Doesn't feel like the same character.

6. Lucaniel non serviam

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  7. Indra Well-Known Member

Part 2 - 3.5/10
    Adult Naruto - 7.5/10 IMO

8. Majin Lu Dark Magician Girl

9. KingForever7 World's #1 Kiba Inuzuka Fanboy

The hyperventilating moment in kage summit arc was the last straw with the character for me......when I was already annoyed with Naruto's retarded obsession with Sasuke.

I was never fond of the MC. (Kakashi is the reason I didn't automatically drop the series in the land of waves arc).

But, I did find Naruto "tolerable" during parts of the Sasuke Retrieval Arc.

10. Zef Well-Known Member

...Maybe 7.....okay MC imo.

Was particularly great in Part 1, but the CoP plot in Part 2 did damage to his character.
    :nardo

11. professor83 Was I able to live inside your Heart?

9/10
    -1 for not killing sasuke

12. Sennin of Hardwork Tales to Astonish

How lucky to run into this just in time. :O

10/10, of course. Dadruto! :naruto

13. C-Moon ...

I really didn't like the CoP(it felt hamfisted and contradictory). Sasuke kept proving himself to be more trouble than he was worth. Obito didn't deserve his tears. Kakashi I could understand, but not the kid who was orphaned because of him. I'll just give him a 7 and call it a post.

The parenting issues(for both him and Sasuke) make no sense.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  14. Lucaniel non serviam

did 90% of the non autismos who realise how terrible this manga and its mc are just leave when we switched over to xf?
    am i the last bastion?
    the will of fire prevails

15. Dark Passenger Member

I think people need to realize that Naruto's "obsession" with Sasuke was equal amounts of him trying to help a friend while trying to keep his own promises due to his Nindo.

It certainly got worse when his mentor (Jiraiya), sibling disciples (Nagato and Konan), dad (Minato), and former enemy (Itachi) all entrusted him with their own wills.

Having taken said wills upon himself, he vowed to bring peace, yet Sasuke was going around spreading the hatred he was trying to make dissappear. Since he didn't want Sasuke to die yet he still wanted peace, he was trapped in a difficult situation. That's when he started hyperventilating. It wasn't just because of Sasuke. Dude probably felt like he had the world on his shoulders due to his promises and the wills of others.

Hyperventilating was too much though, even if he had a logical reason behind it...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. HoroHoro ----

Never liked him since day one, he's easily one of the worst and most illogical, hypocritical and problematic character in his own titular series, only topped by Obito and Itachi and one of the reasons why this series is garbage. He's not even half a well written character, let alone an entertaining character. His humor is cringe-worthy, his lines are cheesy, generic and outright insane. ("He was the coolest guy!", "Truths don't matter, only feelings matter.") He's essentially just a cheap wish fulfillment escapist avatar made to project the author and reader. His appeal is basically, "y'all niggas hated my ass, now y'all want to suck my dick."

1/1

On a more in-depth analysis why Naruto as a character is horrible, this is just a fraction:

17. FrostBurn Member

9/10, love the guy. The child of prophecy/transmigrant nonsense left a bad taste in my mouth though.

18. HoroHoro ----

You mean the part where Naruto was starting to get obsessed with Sasuke like some yandere character? Nah, fam. The only part where Naruto isn't insufferable is the Land of Waves arc.

19. dinosaur ninja proud sasusaku_fan

10/10 tnj, wanting to save sasuke no matter what, poal, never giving up attitude, love his being loud mouth and sometimes his being dumb lol. i love him from start to finish :heart

20. SupremeKage ......

Became a garbage MC in the last third of the series

21. Sixpence None The Richer Oops

adult naruto>any other naruto

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  23. GuidingThunder Get out of my way !

Dat Nardo/Narudo/Bernardo/Dadruto :ohyou
    The hero , the savior , the child of prophecy , the chosen one , the only one , the solo'er , the stomper , the fodderizer , the conqueror .

24. The Death & The Strawberry Nagato/Pain fanboy

6/10 in part 2

Part one, he was IMO the best and possibly the most complete character. Examples of when his character really shined was his speech to zabuza about Haku, his ending speech to Gaara, and his fight with kabuto. He embodied the virtues of hardwork and determination, and he truly did stick to what he believed in which was what got my respect, to ads on to the fact that he was a complete badass(catching an incoming kunai with his hand, stopping a snake 50x his size, boding a chunnin, "if you ever lay a hand on my sensei, I'll kill you", etc) I didn't give him 10, because of his slight childish attitude.

Part 2: :rengescust Not much to say, Tbh. His character slightly deteriorated, and be started losing someone of the gracious virtues he used to have. Let's not forget him acting like a bigger Sasuke fangirl than Sakura.

25. LesExit Empty without rats... & F America

8/10. I loved Naruto in Part 1 and most of Part 2...but the prophecy thing kinda ruined it all for me. I also would've liked him to do something more to actually revolutionize the ninja system. Overall he will always have an important place in my heart.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  26. HoroHoro ----

You mean where he's an amoral hypocrite, who let crooks like Orochimaru on the loose, goes on a power trip and demands everyone and their dogs to refer to him as, "Lord Seventh"? (Nevermind the fact that I called Hiruzen old man and Tsunade old hag)

Nah, dude. Naruto was only bearable in the Land of Waves and Chunin Exams arc. At least he was written with sincerity and decency back then rather than the preachy Gary Stu we know today.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  27. Hussain .

Though tbh, I hated everything he said/did/thought that is related to the uchiha-clan. :catdude
    When it comes to Sasuke, itachi, and Obito. :catdude

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  28. HoroHoro ----

pretty sure the vets are still around, just not in this junkyard of a section for self-explanatory reasons

29. Zef Well-Known Member

Hussain stop lying, I thought you didn't care for Naruto/Minato anymore :goose

30. fuff Maybe next time ;)

i meant look wise. i dont like naruto uzumaki. hes an annoying brat, and his whole sasuke obession...

31. Hussain .

maybe I don't. :smoke

32. blackguyinpinksuit Well-Known Member

Those four positive points being spread out for his redeemable traits/moments he's had in his 700 chapter run as a titular character. The bad obviously outweighs the good however.

I'm sure everyone expected big things from him as a main character, but nearly everything towards the later stages of the manga went to hell including his character(which we had the pleasure of seeing on full display since he's the main character). The reasons are already stated in this thread so i won't beat a dead horse.

Even his powers can't save him when you factor in the fact that his fighting style is everything synonymous with boring(doppelgangers and energy power spheres galore). Kishi had chances to expand his combat versatility with SM and kyuubi mode but he even made those do stupid stuff like chakra share etc.

33. Haruka Katana Catstabber

Part 1 Naruto: I like part 1 Naruto a lot. He was relatable to me, he is strong, he has determination, he was actually badass.

Part 2 Naruto is just bad, first was his Sasuke obsession, then hyperventilation, then child of lolprophecy, then Ninja jesus. Kishi sometimes makes everyone around him shit so Kishi could make Naruto the "better" character. And lets not forget his "Obito is the coolest guy!!!111" BS.

In the end, 7/10 because of part 1 bias, at the end of the day tho I still like Naruto :catcry

34. Arles Celes The Psychologist

On the positive side: He never did suck Madara's dick. :hurr

35. -Ziltoid- the Agenda

Naruto had always been my favourite character, but then Kishi turned him into a ninjajezus. Pt1 Naruto's naivety and stupidity were at least logically explained by the shitty life he's had up till then, but in pt2 Kishi lost practically every excuse to keep holding the kid back like that. Worse, Kishi abandoned every sense of sanity when he callously destroyed Naruto's character for the sake of adding some first-world problems for spoiled little Boruto. I mean, the 'one man army' can't deal with the tasks of a Hokage? Fuck that shit. Though Naruto barely changing a thing about his shitty world is perhaps even worse. The ending of the manga really was a huge disappointment for his character. Then again, Kishi already lost any semblance of interest in the manga long before that.

In hindsight Naruto started slipping after the encounter with Pein, where he simply didn't come up with any answer whatsoever. The way he kept clinging to that traitorous Uchiha bitch only made things worse. Not to mention the way he seemingly forgave Obito for all the shit he pulled- just because Obito wanted to be Hokage. Of course, Naruto's downfall is parallel to Kishimoto's declining ability to write a proper manga, though it doesn't make it easier tbh. Oh well, at least he didn't have lolhaxxeyes and the accompanying brain disease, even if he ended up being the biggest Uchiha wanker of them all.

I'm still giving a 8/10, but mostly for old time's sake. I admit that if I'd be completely fair and unbiased I'd probably end up rating him lower :catstabbed

36. Shining Force Shining in the Darkness

The old me would give 1/10, but I would give him 6/10 now, at least for the nostalgia of the series.

37. -Azula- ~

I agree with taking points from Naruto because of child of prophecy.

But I think with the manga nearing the end kishi realized this and tried to remedy this by introducing an arguably even dumber concept of transmigants/Ootsukis so that Naruto is not the only one at the center and sasuke has an excuse to tag along at every possible page.

Hey we are actually brothers from another life, that means we are bound by destiny, every powerup is 50/50, cheap combination jutsu and stupid poses!
    Made it even worse.:scust

I must have read it a long time ago but some posters suggested that Child of Prophecy could have been better by making Nagato the sole Child of Prophecy who fails, while Naruto proves the prophecy wrong.
    Or something like that. :catthinks

38. Sword Sage Swordsman in Training

It would've been alot better if Naruto was the Naruto that everyone else loved in part 1 and in Pain arc. the Pain arc should've been the final arc as its been a centered story of Naruto Uzumaki himself and later after it ruined his whole character that every world is tied to Sasuke.

I wouldn't the Ootsuki origin but if only that the Hyuga clan and Byakugan had involvement that way it would like give us some foreshadowing development of Kaguya's appearance rather than an ass pull to come up as an excuse to kill off Madara.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  39. Kusa Well-Known Member

I liked him mostly but he is really shitty written

40. Aphrodite Smile Moderator

In part 1 he got on my nerves and i didn't like him, but he eventually grew on me besides his Sasuke love obsession. 8/10

41. HoroHoro ----

I would've given Naruto a somewhat higher score, if he was consistently written throughout the series. Consistency aside, Naruto's negative characteristics far outweighs his positive, and more redeeming qualities.

Worse yet, Kishimoto never addressed his flaws with sincerity. For example, Naruto wanted to become Hokage because he wanted attention. His dream wasn't as egocentric in the Chunin Exams arc where he didn't turn the conversation about himself, and really meant when he told Neji he was going to change the Hyuga clan's caste system... Only to regress back to being attention demanding. He once said in the War arc that it's the ones who are acknowledged who becomes Hokage. Kishimoto tried to portray Naruto's reasoning to aspire to become a leader in a positive light.

Second, his Talk no Jutsu. It's just that bad, lol. Most of his Talk no Jutsu sessions are plot-induced flip-flopping, when Naruto confronts a villain, he'd usually sit down and talk for a few minutes with them, with said antagonist crying about the injustices of the system. In turn, Naruto himself never had an answer, he lacked philosophical depth compared to villains like Nagato or Obito. He dismissed their reasoning behind their villainy, their conviction, and views as, "You're wearing a mask, bro. You're full of anger and hate," or, "You're just lonely, bro. I know that feeling."

What makes it even more terrible is the fact that Kishimoto used their backstories as a device for Naruto to convince them into converting to the good side, hence the reason he went as far as to give them a similar background and ambition as Naruto's. It's beyond stupid.

Third, his underdog characterization, it's a mess even as back as the first chapter. Initially, he was presented as an underdog, a natural underachiever that isn't talented. That's not true, he mastered something as advanced as the Shadow Clone which only took a few hours, he managed to summon the chief toad Gamabunta and has therefore a crazy amount of innate potential. He learned the Rasengan in two weeks, whilst Minato couldn't even fully complete it. He learned how to manipulate wind chakra and went on his way to create Rasenshuriken shortly after. He mastered the Sage Mode in a couple of months, something not even a Sannin, Jiraiya, could achieve in his lifetime. That is some super ultra prodigy feat. He's supposed to be untalented, and make it up with hardwork, it’s just a red herring, something which youtubers like Code Provider and KingOfLightning called out years ago.

Fourth, his obsession with Sasuke, lol. It's even creepier than Sakura's with Sasuke or Hinata's with Naruto. I would be really freaked out if I had someone like him as a friend, forcing me to do what he tells me and threaten to break all my bones or die by his side if I don't cater his feelings. It must suck for Sasuke being Naruto's best friend, tbqh.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  42. Corvida Anda de dia la noche es mia

Becasue I want.

Same will go for Sasuke, Sakura and Hinata.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  43. ninex New Member

One of the worst main characters in shonen history.

44. Brook Well-Known Member

His annoying talk no jutsu in part 2 prevented him from being a top tier MC but i still think he was pretty great overall.

45. MasterORB Active Member

I give him a 6 and why, trough out the show is was a very up lifting kid that no matter how bad the situation was he was always got a feel good smile. what ruined the character is easy, they made him the end of be all, that make him only one that could save everyone and basically the chosen one, because if your rival and your teacher are more popular than the main character don't make him the special it just ruin it. Oh if it was for the anime writing i would give him a 1 out 10.

46. Milliardo G.L.P.

Not gonna lie I never liked him. Naruto was the typical Shonen hero that was happy, cheery little boy wanting to save the day crap. I never really viewed him as an underdog really as he always had Kyuubi giving him power and chakra.. His personality was very bland to me. I will give him a 4/10 to be nice.

47. Iwanko Member

!0/10. He is one of the best developed shounen mc being at first glance 100 % Goku copy.

48. Arles Celes The Psychologist

Wow, so many negative votes for Naruto. :wha

The previous poll was going much better for him.

Is it really because he did not kill Sasuke and was so obsessed with him? Or due to the chosen prophecy? But with the prophecy its mostly Kishi's fault for introducing such element into the plot. It got very little if anything at all with Naruto's character as he never wanted to be a "chosen one".

Anyway I'd rate him 8/10. He isn't perfect but I still like him. :hurr

Perhaps we should open a thread for part 1 and part 2 versions of certain characters? Like part 1 Naruto and part 2 Naruto? :hmm

49. Source out-the airlock assistant

4/10 for reasons stated in this thread that I won't repeat for the millionth time.

Why is it so bad that he wants Boruto to refer to him by his title in the office and not "Dad"? Just because he himself was disrespectful and bad mannered when he was a kid doesn't mean he should let his son be the same.

Agreed with the Orochimaru part, though. Kishi was too busy writing about stupid, forced parenting issues to realize that letting him go is dumb as fuck, or to show what Naruto's actually done as Hokage...

50. Hussain .