1. Fancy yourself a sleuth, evil mastermind, debating pro, and/or just plain love One Punch Man? If so, sign up for Akihabara Lounge's first Mafia game, themed on One Punch Man.

LINK

2. The latest NF Newsletter is out (July), read it here
  3. Summer Glow
    The HoU Banner Contest this time is centered on Summer time.
    The deadline is until July 23rd and you only have to click here to go straight to the information you need.

4. Ladies and gents, the Tech Hub has been archived! Any tech-related questions can go in KCC now, and make sure to use the new [Tech] tag!

Naruto and One Piece Avenue move

Discussion in 'The Konoha Times' started by Xiammes, Dec 1, 2016.

Vote

1. Merge the Naruto Avenue into the Akihabara Gallery

34 vote(s)
    29.8%
  2. Merge the One Piece Avenue into the Akihabara Gallery

25 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. Do not merge the Naruto Avenue into the AG

52 vote(s)
    45.6%
  4. Do not merge the One Piece Avenue into the AG

46 vote(s)
    40.4%
  5. I don't really care

19 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Xiammes I am the senate. Super Moderator

I'm not gonna beat around the bush: I am here with a proposal to merge the Naruto Avenue and the One Piece Avenue into the Akihabara Gallery. The move may or may not happen at the beginning of the new year based on your feedback. I want to focus the site much more heavily around anime and manga, so it may seem counter intuitive to cut out these sections, but allow me to explain our point of view.

In the past, the three avenues made sense as they were the most popular manga in the west and had strong, active communities. Even when Naruto ended, Bleach and One Piece were still going, so their sections made sense. However, I feel like the end of Bleach was the death knell of the avenues as they currently exist. Activity across all of them has substantially decreased. The Dragonball section is about as active as the entire Naruto and One Piece avenues combined.

The idea of merging these into the Akihabara Gallery came about during a discussion on how to trim the fat from the front page. While the main manga sections and the battle domes for both the NA and the OPA are thriving, the rest are not doing nearly as well. Removing the ones struggling would only leave each with two sections, making it hard to justify the individual subforums they currently have. Considering few people even post in what's currently on the chopping block, the negative impact should be slim.

By consolidating these sections, we will create a much more centralized anime and manga hub, in line with our vision for what we should focus on from this point onward. All the popular manga sections will then be found next to each other, and each new one will add prestige to the Akihabara Gallery. It also encourages more people to cross over, as someone who only watches Naruto might want to check out what Nanatsu no Taizai or My Hero Academia is all about. The removal of the avenues also decreases our front page size, which will make us more appealing to guests.

The battle domes will still exist, restructured as subsections. One Piece will still have its telegrams, and there will be a thread dedicated to the anime. Those who wish to avoid manga spoilers may have a thread up in the Akihabara District to that end.

This is just another step in the Akihabara Gallery's growth. There are plans to reshape the section with banners in a grid format, to give them much more front page presence and attractiveness, and reduce vertical bloat. Nothing is yet set in stone and we will strive to include you on further upcoming changes.

Spoiler: Preview of the new Akihabara District

We're also considering giving all battle domes their own spot on the front page, threads can be found in their relevant sections.

2. Xiammes I am the senate. Super Moderator

4. Edward Teach Well-Known Member

So... Someone who doesn't read Naruto but reads One Piece.. How are things going to change for that person and vice versa. (I read both, but just curious)

If, the idea is just to be more appealing to guests and things are not really changing for someone who reads one piece but doesn't read naruto... Then, I'm not sure. People have different preferences. Someone who can only see 5 sections on the front page might find that ideal, someone else might think it's better to have 10 on the front page so everyone can access anything easily without having to go inside a section only to go inside another and another.

I think.. If you are going to merge.. Something needs to change. Someone who doesn't read naruto but reads one piece should be somewhat affected by this, hopefully positively because if it is negative, then a lot might just leave the place.

5. Xiammes I am the senate. Super Moderator

Not much, just a new home for discussion.

For example, look at the One Piece avenue, the Harbor and Anime section will be merged into the Ohara Library(this is happening anyways), meaning threads you could make in those sections will be allowed in the Ohara Library. The Ohara Library would likely be renamed to One Piece.

As for the Battledomes, there is a separate plan that will be executed at the same time of the move(or not depending how discussion goes on both). All the Battledomes will have a avenue on the front page, the NBD more then doubles the discussion in the konoha library and the OBD is the most active section on the site(NF cafe beat it this month, but presidential election gave it a huge boost). So the idea is to promote the Battledomes as a key important feature of the site. It would look something like this and be placed under the Akihabara gallery

Battledome Avenue
    Outskirts Battledome
    Naruto Battledome
    Ohara Battledome

Note that they will not share rulesets, meaning the NBD and likes won't have to start accepting calcs like the OBD does. If the battledome avenue doesn't work out but the moves into the gallery do, then the Ohara battledome and/or NBD will be subsections of the Naruto and One Piece sections in the Gallery.

I used One piece avenue as a example, but the same thing would happen to the Naruto section, HOU and Konoha Tv being

6. Typhon "The Roaring Tide"

I can't speak for the Naruto side, but I'm with you on merging One Piece. As long as we get our telegrams and battledome

7. SupremeKage ......

8. Xiammes I am the senate. Super Moderator

When the anime/manga returns, HxH is popular enough on the site.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. blackguyinpinksuit Well-Known Member

Y'all do whatever is convenient for the site. It wouldn't be too hard to adjust to since i don't really care about formats, looks etc.

10. IchijiNijiSanji Well-Known Member

Well.... i would rather not have the battledomes separated from their respective series' sections.
    But I don't mind having the One Piece Avenue merged as a big subsection with Akhibara

11. Donquixote Doflamingo Master Puppeteer

As long as we can still make individual threads, and have the telegrams i dont care honestly.

12. BlueDemon Demon

I voted to not merge OP with the Gallery, but at the same time I do understand why you would do that. Most people wouldn't probably want a change due to nostalgia and because it's always been like this (me too tbh).

But I'm also of the opinion that if one of the sections is to be merged, the other should be merged too. And I'm pretty surprised how active the Naruto Battledome still is.

Ultimately it's your call and people will get used to it. Or go away. Ultimately, I have no idea if this will lead to an increase in activity or just to the slimming of the front page.

Just out of curiosity, from the boards still around, how well is NF doing? I mean compared the mangafox, orojackson, bleachasylum (?), arlongpark (numbers here seem quite high) boards?

13. aiyanah finesse

14. Xiammes I am the senate. Super Moderator

Compared to how we are used to? We are at 3.5k posts per day, our highest activity was 20k+ posts.

Doing compared to other forums? I'll go through your list.

Manga fox - hard to tell, they are one of the few sites that have more sections then we do and its hard to judge at a glance. They certainly have a higher memberbase but it isn't translating into forum activity.
    Orojackson - We have a solid 100+ more members online over them right now, timezones might be wonky, but I think that speaks for itself.
    bleachaslyum - its bleachmyaslyum I think, and hahahahahahaha
    Arlong park - doing better then orojackson it seems, but doesn't seem to compare to our activity

If I had solid numbers I could compare the sites better.

Even with our decreased activity, we are still one of the most active forums around, which is why we are trying to take what ever action to make sure we don't slip further.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Vino

You really should post this on the OL & KL directly instead of just tagging a whole bunch of posters if you want to get a better consensus on this.

I vote not to merge the OL with the Gallery. Unlike some of the others, One Piece is still an active ongoing manga with weekly chapters being released. As the latest sales figures demonstrate, it is still by far and away the premier number one manga of the entire manga industry. This is partly due to Oda's immense world building which naturally lends it's sell to plenty of discussion and debate topics.

Whilst the activity on the OL has certainly dipped it is more a result of the overall decline of NF rather than anything specific related to the OL itself.

Really? The Bleach section was already dying before that due to how much the series had fallen in popularity.

What really seemed to hit this forum badly was Naruto ending as obviously given the URL of this place, is what predominately drove people to join in the first place. That and lack of any updates or modernisation of this place for ages combined with the ridiculous amount of ads (yes I know adblock) on this place. The update that finally came this year was too little too late and well after the horse had long bolted.

Anyway, no personal offence intended as you seem very committed to this, but at this stage it seems more like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic as it pertains to the future of this place.

17. Brook Well-Known Member

Either keep OL like it is or merge it into the gallery with all the other sections making this more of a anime site rather then focused on one particular series. Just don't keep naruto as a main section if you are going to put the OP section in the gallery.

18. Marcelle.B The Black One Moderator

I made a topic with the OL to discuss the move a while ago. You even viewed it lol

Another mod made the topic as well in the KL.

19. Edward Teach Well-Known Member

But it's not SOLELY about which manga has better sales figures, section activity matters more for a forum.
    Which is why merging these sections might result in a positive direction for the NF as a whole, which essentially helps the one piece discussions/section specifically.

Rearranging is not necessarily a bad thing though is it. In fact, rearranging can make things look totally different and more appealing. the forum needs to be appealing to new visitors, I'm guessing that's the point of these changes.

My issue with this is...
    As Kizaru pointed out.. Bleach was dead long before the actual manga ended. HunterXhunter could potentially be more active than sections with weekly ongoing chapters. My point is.. If the section is really active, give it the attention it deserves. You said Dragon ball as a section is really active, why in the preview are they still put in the same place as mangas/animes like bleach and fairy tail...etc

I guess what I'm trying to say is.. It is true that you need to appeal for new visitors and whatnot, but you also need to appeal for your current members. I don't see why Dragon ball doesn't have a dedicated section as the one piece section or naruto (from an administration and overall section point of view). I am sure people are more than down to talk every day about not only dragon ball super, but dragon ball z too. If there's a demand, create a platform.

20. Mider T VM Rapist

No its not. Section barely ever gets activity, dunno why people keep asking this.

21. Xiammes I am the senate. Super Moderator

Why no Dragon Ball type Avenue? Because one section is enough to hold all its activity, and its helping out the smaller anime series we are also trying to promote, decreasing front page bloat is far more important to long term success of the forum as being unable to attract new members will be the death of the forum, more then anything else. As for appealing to our current members, that is why I am making this thread instead of just axing the avenue's right away, this is a huge change and it something we need to discuss.

Activity wise

Naruto battledome has more activity then the rest of the KL and OL combined
    Dragon Ball has more activity then the entire then NA combined(including the NBD)
    The OBD almost has the entire activity of the NA and OPA combined.

It did extremely well the last time it got brought back up. Though I might not bring up the section again unless HxH gets a DB super type deal.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  22. Edward Teach Well-Known Member

I think you all should consider a change for the battledome sections. They're the most active sections according to you, a change in the battledome sections might attract new visitors and encourage current members to post more.

I rarely go to the battledome sections, but if they are the most popular here, then am i not missing out?

You don't want to make a change since they're doing well already, why change something that is already good/decent, right? But... since the battledome sections are the most popular right now, what if you make the battledome sections a little bit different from other forums. At the end of the day, if you need new visitors, you need to provide something that they can't get elsewhere, and since this is a platform that discusses things and we can't really produce something material that other forums can't produce (as far as I know), then maybe the changes are not tackling the real issue? I am not sure, just trying to keep the train of thought going.

In my case.. I don't find the battledome sections appealing to be honest. if they were more entertaining and creative in a way, I would definitely post there a lot more. Creativity depends on the members themselves, true.. But.. maybe both sides can contribute to the creativity of the section.

If you really want to attract more people, you need to provide something new and unique at this age and time. Merging is not going to be enough.

23. Freechoice Freechoice

Please don't boil this down to a vote. Autists don't like change.

You made strong points and the current forum layout is a mess. Just merge them both. I see no persuasive arguments from the people opposing it.

24. Xiammes I am the senate. Super Moderator

We are contemplating changes for the battledomes, I explained in a earlier post and in the main post that we plan on overahauling the battledome location and make them a focus of the site. A battledome avenue is whats we are discussing. It will be right below the anime sections.

Battledome Avenue
    Outskirts Battledome
    Naruto Battledome
    Ohara Battledome

With a bigger focus on the battledomes, we can spend more time trying to figure what they need and how we can improve. As they stand now, they are sorta just extensions of the NA and OPA, which means they aren't being treated how they should.

Note

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  25. BlueDemon Demon

Problem is not many people are really discussing this (unless you guys are getting PMs) and then they'll come out and complain when things do indeed change...

As somebody mentioned, thread should be linked in the libraries too..

26. Xiammes I am the senate. Super Moderator

I made sure to tag a lot of the regulars, but obviously we can't get everyone that posts. As for threads, there was threads in both the KL and OL where we discussed this. KL just had their threads taken down.

I'll see about getting more people involved.

27. Dragon D. Luffy You can only cry when it's all over.

One Piece is popular enough to hold activity in OL, but not in the entire NF, I think. The manga is kind of past its peak in popularity.

I approve this. Will be sad to see the OP avenue go, but really, who even watches the OP anime these days? I approve anything that helps make the whole forum grow.

28. Dayscanor Sunlight 4 life

Catdank Faction:
    I voted to not merge OP, for convenience's sake. Indeed it is easier for me to access the OP section if it has its own section, I do not read Naruto and don't care for it. You can merge it if you want.
    OP still garners enough interest imo for it to have its own section that is easily accessible on the front page.

29. SupremeKage ......

I guess you weren't here during its run in the middle of the year.

30. Mider T VM Rapist

I've been here almost 4 times as long as you.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List