1. The NF rules of conduct have been updated in response to the Xenforo upgrade. Please review them here.
  2. Discussion for the forum medals contest is happening here. Please drop in and give your input.

My cable modem sucks ass... (best modem for torrents?)

Discussion in 'Tech Hub' started by Karin Maaka, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Karin Maaka Active Member

I've had this Scientific Atlanta DPC2100R2 for about a month, and it really sucks when it comes to torrents.

First off, it doesn't let you forward ports, because it won't let you log-in to change your modem's settings. What the fuck is that shit. :\

So, I'd like some recommendations on what you'd feel would be a good cable modem to get that works great with torrents. According to a speed test, I should be getting 500-700 kbps download and 200 kps upload, but I get some shitty 10 kps speed. :(

2. archaned Member

3. PradaBrada New Member

yeah a router is what you need

4. Deathinstinct Member

I don't know anything about your modem, but assuming your modem has a single slot to hook to a computer, you can't and don't need to port forward. Port forwarding is only necessary if your internet goes through a router or switch that requires knowledge of which port you are on. Modems generally don't need this because they only have one port.

The speed problem is either the modem or your line. If it's the modem, not reseting it or getting a higher quality version (likely through your ISP). If it's the line, tough luck.

5. Karin Maaka Active Member

Okay, I did what you guys said and got a Buffalo WHR-G125 wireless router.

Works fine with my wireless devices (PSP, DS and Wii), but I tried forwarding the ports for utorrent when I logged-in to change the settings and it doesn't work.
    It said my port wasn't forwarded correctly when I did the check. :(

Here is a screenshot, maybe someone can help me (I tried searching on google, but I'm not getting anything and portfoward.com doesn't list my router):
    X

6. archaned Member

Damn first time i saw a user interface and couldn't follow it.
    Best you read the manual.