1. The NF rules of conduct have been updated in response to the Xenforo upgrade. Please review them here.
  2. Please vote in the following contest threads: AOTW, Mirror, SOTW Mirror
  3. Please discuss and vote on the fate of the reputation system here.
  4. The forum medals contest is being extended for another month. Check this thread for more information.

Most powerful starships in fiction

Discussion in 'Meta Battledome' started by Zoidberg, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Zoidberg Pure Imagination

Just as the title says,sentient ships are fair game, if the ship has reality-altering powers or anything of the sort it doesn't count

2. Zaru ________________________________ Advisor

The ship from futurama moves the entire universe instead of traveling :datass

3. Solon Solute &#803

Enforcers (Star Ocean 3).

4. Xelloss Mazoku Priest Moderator

Darkstar ship form must be on the top, I guess Yurai first geenration ships also.

5. skiboydoggy DYNAMIC GENERAL GUARDIAN

Time And Relative Dimension In Space :datass

6. Masa Active Member

The Destiny from Stargate Universe sun dips and moves FTL without the aid of hyperspace, warp, etc.

The Heart of Gold has the infinite improbability drive which controls probability in wacky ways (although that might be considered reality warping).

If probability hacking isn't considered reality warping then Chou Ginga Gurren Laggan should be in this as well (for obvious reasons).

7. C. Hook I am Warrior Commander!

Fixed. :LOS

Also, add the Crucible from Doctor Who Journey's End. Goddamn, the Crucible is powerful. Universe destruction, anybody?

8. Onomatopoeia In a word: Brilliant

Any ship as captained by Jean-Luc Picard. :hmpf

Or that one ship that the Authority lived in. The one that was powered by a baby universe.

9. Lucaniel non serviam

Fuck yeah, the Carrier!

10. CrazyMoronX Old Man

Starship Enterprise, of course. :del

How about some of those high-tier Stargate ships? I recall them having some pretty good tech. Admittedly, I know nothing about science fiction.

11. strongarm85 Active Member

Would be turned in to a 2 cent whore after being raped into submission from pretty much anyone already mentioned in this thread. :ho

12. Gorblax Talk First, Pants Later

I'll see your universe destruction and raise you multiverse destruction.

13. CrazyMoronX Old Man

Hey, now! You dare not make fun of my beloved Star Trek!! *Conan geek gif*

14. C. Hook I am Warrior Commander!

Oh God, I'm trying to forget about those horribly stupid superweapons from Star Wars like the Suncrusher.

How powerful are the Stargate ships?

Planet-killing is pretty easy by Sci-Fi standards; a single ISD can do it.

15. strongarm85 Active Member

Star Trek is fairly low tier as far as tech is concerned.

16. C. Hook I am Warrior Commander!

Trek sucks. After Voyager started, there was no return; it didn't help that the movies started an amazing pattern of suck. God, those Trek fans who actually like Nemesis...:notrust

Original Series was great if campy, Next Gen ranged from prissy, pretentious, and awful, to gloriously awesome.

17. Sephiroth Titan

Was about to say. :LOS

18. Darklyre ponies!

Abel's Ark
    The Authority's Carrier
    Doctor Who's ships
    Planet Express

19. Fang Titan

Millennium Falcon.

20. Crimson Dragoon King of the Seven Seas

Slave I piloted by Traviss Fett

21. Fang Titan

CS Goto in a Craftworld or Corran Horn in a X-Wing vs five Super Star Destroyers

22. Hellspawn28 Active Member

I hear the ROU (Rapid Offensive Unit) Killing Time is rather strong from what I have been told.

23. The Immortal WatchDog don't step in my yard

captain tyler/harloks ships need to get a mention..if for any other reason then their captains

the yamato c'mon campy awesome here lol

the TARDIS of course

Maybe the Andromeda (its durability was pretty gay though)

if Talyn grew up maybe he'd of made the list

the titan (created a world at the expense of a wanna be death star)

maybe the Tealon mother ship...i forgot its feats but i remember the hole ID travel bit...and i think once island wiped..butr compared to others on the list kinda crummy i guess

macross

24. Zetta Banned

Abel's Ark in Xenosaga.

25. Lina Inverse Lina Inverse Fanboy

Can Abel's Ark be considered a ship though? I was on the impression it was a gigantic gnosis thingy.

26. Zetta Banned

It flies around, you can go inside it, etc.

Just because the tech is organic doesn't make it any less ship.

27. Commander Shepard ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

Did you not hear about the new movie, which was a critical and financial success?

28. Cthulhu-versailles The Luckiest Man in Agrabah

The Naked God being which is technically a vessel/ship. It's nigh omnipotent in a singular universe with almost all knoweldge on anything in that singular universe. It's also the city of a star....

29. Ultimate Deathsaurer Nightmare of Zi

Lolwut? That thing is a joke... Producers have confirmed it predates Atlantis making it a primitive piece of shit. It's probably the same gen tech as the exodus ship.

30. Lucifeller F O E F O E F O E F O E !!

Do Tyranid hive ships count? :ho

Also, the Silvard/Epoch from Chrono Trigger. Anything powerful enough to ram into a being that resisted uncontrolled atmospheric reentry and blow a hole in its carapace should be respected, even not considering the time travel shenanigans.

31. C. Hook I am Warrior Commander!

Wins. Nothing can defeat her ca(n)non. Not even Jplaya's ca(n)non.

And? Most Star Trek fans for some reason hate it because it's supposedly "stupid" in comparison to their gloriously intelligent show.

I liked it, but if the fandumb population wants to disown it, that's their problem.

32. Commander Shepard ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

:huh I was a Star Trek fan before the movie, and I don't hate it. Sure, it plays loosely with technobabble and somethings make no sense (like an artificial black hole destroying a planet, and absorbing a supernova- then the Narada could withstand one being inside one for several seconds), but that's really nothing new for Star Trek. If some Trekkies think that Star Trek was scientifically accurate and consistent beforehand they've been drinking a little too much Romulan ale.

As for characterization and plot, the new movie is a lot "smarter" in those respects than other recent Star Trek stuff.

The last good Star Trek movie before this one was First Contact, and the last relatively good series was Deep Space Nine. Voyager gets points too, if only for this scene:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k2wJZFDkYI[/YOUTUBE]

33. Masa Active Member

Just because it is older doesn't mean it is inferior. It undoubtedly has the best shield durability feat in all of Stargate. Not to mention being able to move FTL without going through hyperspace puts it above the Atlantean warship which was going at 99% the speed of light between the Pegasus galaxy and the Milky Way.

34. Laharl New Member

Its not a gigantic gnosis thingy, its an instrument of god thingy ... it was only thought as a gnosis because it came from the same dimension as the gnosis. Gnosis originate from humans while that thing comes from U-DO.

35. Lina Inverse Lina Inverse Fanboy

So...it's the holy spirit? :zaru

36. Ultimate Deathsaurer Nightmare of Zi

Oh no, I'm sure the Ancients went backwards with their tech level despite several of the people that were seen there at the start of the journey still being there on Atlantis. That FTL drive is pathetic compaired to a hyperdrive and it's shields don't do anything different other Ancient shields do, it just happens to use bigger batteries. IOW, they don't weaken because they're constantly being powered by the star. It should have been obvious after they drained the power reserves with the weapons grid the shields can't do that without direct power funneling from a star. The ship is crap.

37. Laharl New Member

Something like it. Abel and the ark were used by U-DO to observe the lower domain of the universe which include the imaginary space and the normal space that xenosaga takes place in. They're both parts of U-DO and U-DO was called a god, so I guess that makes the ark holy .......

38. Endless Mike Getting too old for this shit

Hey, Nemesis is good if you only watch the space battle and nothing else.

Actually any ROU of the same class is theoretically just as good, and stronger ships like GSVs are better. the Killing Time just has crazy plot shields which make it awesome.

39. Fang Titan

It wasn't plot, it was luck. It had ridiculous luck.

40. Dante10 Harbinger of Death

What about some of Thanos' ships?

41. Endless Mike Getting too old for this shit

Thanos had a ship powered by the Infinity gems once. Of course this was before he knew that you could combine them to form the IG.

42. Dante10 Harbinger of Death

Yeah, that's the one, I just forgot its name. :hmm

43. Masa Active Member

I never said they went backwards in technology, it is likely, however, that they simply didn't build their later ships with shields that strong for whatever reason (expense, no need, needing to sundip to power it is inherently dangerous, etc.). All I am saying is that being inside a star trumps anything else in Stargate by a huge margin. Even if the shields are exactly the same as other Ancient shields (which is unlikely), having "bigger batteries" as you put it is a great advantage. And it depends on what the output of the weapons is as to whether or not it can survive a star without funneling. Considering the Destiny probably predates the shield bypassing squids, the weapons installed likely do damage through brute force. Considering the Ancients built this ship, their conventional weaponry is likely much more powerful than any other conventional weaponry yet seen (with the exception of possibly the Ori ships) and thus use up a lot of power.

As for the FTL being pathetic compared to hyperdrive. The Ori knew about hyperdrive, so hyperdrive predates the Destiny. The FTL without hyperdrive likely has a different purpose. Possibly that it allows the ship's sensors to work better or that its more reliable (hyperdrive seems to break down a lot in stargate). Also, the Destiny has moved out of conventional Stargate range (which is galaxy wide) several times already. It definitely is not trumped by your standard hyperdrive (although the Asgard hyperdrive is ridiculous).

44. Ultimate Deathsaurer Nightmare of Zi

Well that's the only option for Destiny being as great as people claim it is. The Ancients reguarded Atlantis as their greatest achievement and didn't even bother with Destiny. What does that tell you?

Follow along, it is a strain based shield system. What do we know about these? They don't weaken until they run out of power and shut down completely. It can't run out of power because it's drawing it directly from the star. If they wanted to power Atlantis the same way it'd last until the star ran out of power just the same as Destiny. What this does do is restrict mobility which is why they prefered ZPMs which they could easily replace. It's not the most powerful, it just has a very clever set-up. If you noticed, when they screwed with the powerflow it actually endangered the ship because the shields weren't getting recharged properly. Eli couldn't find a scenario that didn't end in Destiny getting destroyed.

Thew switched to drones and never tried going back to energy weapons for the Wraith. It isn't that great.

It does.

That's actually what the drones do... They just do it directly to the hull.

Not greater than the output of a star. If that was the case they would have used it on the Wraith and won easily instead of trying all that screwy random technology they came up with.

How do you figure that? The Ori Ascended... The Ancients switched to hyperdrive. Says all that needs to be said.

No it doesn't. It shows technological progression.

Proof? You're providing no good reason for the Ancients to switch methods. So the Tau'ri have a habbit of screwing up hyperdrives, what does that prove? The only reason for the Ancients to switch is simply because it's better. That's the way they think.

It took millions of years to do. Doesn't sound much faster than a Goa'uld hyperdrive. Infact, if my math is correct it's actually several times slower.

I wasn't considering Goa'uld at all TBH. More like Ancients, Asgard, and Ori who all vaslty surpass Destiny's FTL it isn't even funny.

45. Gig Active Member

Not necessarily it could be that hyperdrive is easier to manufacture and more resource efficient. Which is likely as everyone and there mums seem to have Hyperdrive these days in Stargate

46. Masa Active Member

Atlantis was not their greatest achievement. In fact, there were several "Atlantis" ships in the Pegasus galaxy. The one underground being used by the medieval society, the one used by the replicators, and the base in the volcano that they got the Aurora out of was also likely an Atlantis of sorts (although less mobile as it depended on the volcano for power)

I would say that's a no limits fallacy. Are you saying there's no attack powerful enough to just rip a hole in the shields without draining them completely first?

How does that show that its inferior in a battle? Being faster than light, all they would have to do is park in a sun and they are effectively invincible (considering a star outputs far more power than any weapon thus yet seen).

They switched to drones prior to the wraith. They switched to drones because drones bypass shields.

Yes, that's what I said. Thanks for repeating after me...

Not through brute force, they do damage by bypassing the shields. Against non shielded entities drones don't do a whole lot of damage relatively speaking considering considering even the lowly hattaks are casually lobbing around nuke level blasts.

Unless, you know, they were too confident in their current tech and refused to adapt their strategies to fight the wraith. Of course, that never happened...Oh wait! That was specifically the reason why the Ancients lost the war despite having better technology!

The Ancients and the Ori both had hyperdrive. Considering the Ancients allowed hyperdrive equipped Ori ships in their galaxy, they must have had it prior to ascension. Given the fact that hyperdrive is a common feature amongst all space faring races in Stargate, even the sub-par ones, either the Ancients were ass backwards in their technological progression (Stargate system -> Attempts to ascend -> Immensely powerful shields -> Hyperdrive), or else they developed hyperdrive first and just chose to use something different on the Destiny for whatever reason. The later case is much more likely.

If it does show that, which it doesn't necessarily, then it is completely backwards when compared with all the other races in Stargate.

The Ancients also lost hyperdrive in an Aurora class battleship and had to rough it back to the Milky way with conventional travel. Goa'uld and Asgard ships also tend to lose hyperdrive in battles fairly often. In fact, Hyperdrive is the first thing to go in most battles in Stargate. Standard propulsion generally outlasts hyperdrive in a battle. This also points to the fact that the shields aren't invincible prior to losing power as damage is often done to the ships systems such as hyperdrive even if the shields are active.

I'm pretty sure they stated that they were in another galaxy from the previous one in one of the episodes, but I'm too lazy to go through them for that one quote, so I'll concede the point that hyperdrive is generally faster than the FTL of Destiny. Wait...Wasn't that what I said!?!

Well, that remains to be seen as we have no idea how fast the Destiny is. Also, the Ancient hyperdrive wasn't all that fast. I believe it took them at least several days to cross the span of a galaxy (where as the Asgard move between their galaxy and the Milky Way within hours).

47. The Immortal WatchDog don't step in my yard

i thought it was cool the only thing that got me mad was the lack of colonies of humans and vulcans all over the place

but what ever thats nothing important

it was a great movie...they did a bang up job

48. Daiyoukai Ramza Niggerangelo

Edit: *sighs* Never mind. Somehow missed the "no reality altering powers" clause in the OP, somehow. My bad.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  49. The Immortal WatchDog don't step in my yard

Shi'ar Imperial war cruisers from the seventie3s and eighties and early nineties

fucking epic....monsters

then whedon retconned them into pussy ships