1. Fancy yourself a sleuth, evil mastermind, debating pro, and/or just plain love One Punch Man? If so, sign up for Akihabara Lounge's first Mafia game, themed on One Punch Man.

LINK
  2. Hey you

Yeah you!

Have you always wanted to impress Gordon Ramsey with your culinary skills?

Well you can't...

But you can impress the NF community by joining the Cooking Contest in the Bento Box!

And we promise we won't make you cry like him.
  3. Throwback Naruto : Hidden Village of Art has launched a new contest related to Naruto where Love and Spring is in the air, until next June 21.
    To know more click on the link: Spring Canon Pairings Drawing contest !!
  4. The latest NF Newsletter is out (June), read it here

Manga VS Anime

Discussion in 'Konoha Library' started by NightingaleOfShadows, Jan 8, 2017.

Which one?

1. Manga

21 vote(s)
    72.4%
  2. Both

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. Anime

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. NightingaleOfShadows Prayers wont save you

• Which one do you think is more entertaining to you and gave you a reason to keep at Naurto.

• I also want to discuss the major differences between them.
    - I also find it annoying when people say in battle debates "it's not canon" or "that's only anime".
    - Now I get if the anime is showing something completely different compared to the manga but when it's something small such as , if a character barley had any time in the manga and then the anime just expands them and showing more details about their past or how their abilities work.
    • Let me know what you think about the significance and maybe give some examples of some parts that you liked that was added or different and a part that you didint like.
    :naruramen

2. KawaiiKyuubi 九尾

Originally saw the anime back in 2004, watched it until the giant filler marathon and then took a break. Watched the first arc of Shippuden when it came out then swapped to manga and stayed until the end of the series.

Why do you find it annoying when someone says something isn't canon if it's not? Anime-only scenes effectively never happened, and often contradict the source material. The original author doesn't create them, so they are effectively just really nice fanfiction. For example, I wouldn't quote a Naruto fan story when trying to argue a certain Vs. argument because it doesn't have any baring on what the author intended the characters to do, so even if in my favourite fanfiction Naruto has the Rinnegan or can use more than Wind Release it is pointless to bring that up just as it's pointless to bring up the anime in a manga discussion. If the Vs. thread says that they are asking about anime feats included then it is fine but generally people stick to the original source material that Kishimoto wrote which is the manga.

For example, Anime Kakashi has Fire Release but in the manga he doesn't, or at least never shows it. So should we assume he has Fire Release? No. Because the anime wasn't written by the original author and they put in bits and pieces for "rule of cool" or because they aren't always aware of where the story was heading and end up breaking character balancing or giving abilities that the manga either never shows or outright states they don't have.

There's also a bunch of little differences, like Tobirama using genjutsu against Hiruzen instead of Hashirama, Sasori's Hiruko being a human puppet instead of a normal puppet, Utakata being captured at totally different times, and so on. Basically most people feel like anything that isn't in the manga didn't really happen, and I agree with that unless you are specifically talking about the anime.

3. Zef Well-Known Member

The anime is good for the fights, and that's about it.:catsupine

My first exposure to Naruto was seeing Team 7 vs Zabuza animated on TV (Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, for those familiar).

I'll give credit where credit is due, the anime is what opened the door for me to get into the world of Naruto, and anime in general.
    Previously I had seen shows like DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc. But I didn't register it as "anime" or being Japanese. :wot
    It's when I went online to watch/read Naruto that I fell into a rabbit hole, and learned what I had been watching the entire time.
    :puppers

I would watch and read Naruto simultaneously. And I initially didn't have issue with the anime. That is until Part 2.
    :wow

The fillers, and overall drop in animation quality turned me off from the anime and still does. At first I found the fillers entertaining (as I didn't know what "filler" was back then) then I came to the realization that what I was viewing wasn't in what I was reading. :sag

I took about a year break (or more) from Naruto. Can't remember the exact reason why....but when I came back I didn't bother watching the fillers, only the canon episodes. That was around the Kage Summit Arc, and that's how I've watched the anime ever since. :zaru

As far as differences.

1) Kishi's art is second to none.

2) Kishi's portrayal of the characters is second to none.

Now granted. As of late I feel that there are a few filler that are better then canon. Especially given Kishi's latest momma drama soap opera. :D:

But those occasions are rare. The average SP written plot is terrible, look no father then the numerous filler episodes in the War Arc (Infinite Tsukuyomi Filler & Ootsutki Background Filler). Terrible, just terrible.
    :catsuicide

Moving away from the story aspect.....
    Some of the anime's depictions of the powers look like shit.:catblink

Amaterasu looks like a hot mess whenever it's animated.

Sasuke's Susano'o before the VOTE battle constantly looked like a purple blob. Thankfully they seemed to have gotten the hang of it (or perhaps they just have a better budget).

Then there's liberties that the anime takes, like Orochimaru's sword....why does it need to look different from the manga version?:huh

And the color of Naruto's Rasengan....though Kishi has adopted the blue coloring so I guess it doesn't matter.
    :mlpshrug

Anyway, to conclude. The manga is more entertaining. When it was still ongoing people were excitedly anticipating it every week. Even the haters came back after each chapter just to laugh at the things they didn't like.
    :skully

Now that the manga has been over for several years though it's weird. I've already re-read the series repeatedly so the only source of entertainment left to be had is in the anime, or Boruto Series. Neither will match the manga's former glory though.:catdespair

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Brook Well-Known Member

Manga has the advantage of having no filler but when it comes to canon stuff i probably enjoy the anime slightly more.

5. Karyu Endan Smilies = Not serious

That was for the sake of keeping to mythology. The Sword of Kusanagi in Tale of Jiraiya the Gallant is a straight sword. The one in the Naruto manga is a katana. When it came to the Naruto anime they decided to change it back to strengthen the parallel with the original folklore. Of all the liberties the anime took this is one that actually made sense.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Kiba's Slut Boy World's #1 Kiba Inuzuka Fanboy

The anime used to be a good supplement to the manga...but that was only in part 1.
    Most people (like myself) followed the series from the anime before going onto the manga.
    They did a great job enhancing the setting of the ninja world and the portrayal of characters within the world.
    The animation was fluid and fights were mostly enjoyable.

But, then in came shippuden......quality drop was immediate.

The manga story in part 2 was shit......but, SP's adaption was somehow able to make it even worse.
    everyone is drawn as skinny twigs...Animation and art was terrible 90% of the time.
    some techniques that looked cool in part 1....looked like shit in shippuden.
    fillers were much worse than part 1 fillers.
    tbh, I enjoyed part 1 fillers more than canon shippuden :mlpshrug

My verdict: By the end, both manga and anime turned to trash.

7. syntheticsound Trash mammal

I prefer reading to watching in general. I read very quickly so watching anything just seems too slow to me. Plus Naruto anime has very inconsistent artwork/animation quality.

I do like a few filler episodes that expand on the minor characters though. Like when my boys got a past

8. Cosmos Ignoring all the stupidity in the forums

Manga is much , much better abviously :catdude

Today's animes are full of unnecessary filler BS , and stupid moe and tsundre characters .

9. Blu-ray Moderator Moderator

The anime used to be the better medium to enjoy the series with overall imo. The soundtrack was absolutely amazing, fights obviously work better animated, and anime in general being a inherently a more immersive medium only enhanced every aspect. It's only sin was filler hell, but that was more of a necessary evil and more or less confined to the end of part I anyway.

That only applies as far as part I and early-mid part II goes though. It eventually devolved into a mess of near consistently bad art, choppy animation, and unnecessary padding that diluted the source material. It got tiring to the same flashback 10 times, and they even managed to fuck up hype moments like Madara vs Gai.:cattired

10. Hussain .

When it comes to Naruto, the manga is better. However, overall, the anime is better...

11. Rai 노블레스

Manga by far :doge

12. -Ziltoid- the Agenda

Is this even up for discussion? All SP did was repeatedly screw up... of course the manga is best! :catskully

I mean..

:zaru

13. Platypus Moderator

Naruto vs Pain I can get, but Orochimaru vs Sasuke in the Forest of Death? Really? :catpathy

14. Ayumi11 New Member

I prefer anime only when it comes to Part 1 battles.

Reasons?
    1) Art: Kishi's style is really enjoyable and peculiar while SP anime has a tremendous drop in quality during Shippuden
    2) Characters: the main reason to me. SP always makes OOC the cast, especially Sasuke, my fave. You know... I started loving him only when I approached the manga :distracted because SP really fails in understanding his personality... They always make him extremely cold, almost emotionless and strenghten only his flaws, his dark side (while making Naruto the pure and perfect one :wth)
    3) Plot: SP fillers really sucks. Canon events too are made worse...

15. Deana Well-Known Member

I like the manga more. I don't know if all anime companies are like this but SP sucks at being true to the characters. I find with the females they create romance where there is none, amplify the characters negative and/or quirky traits to the 24th power, and misunderstand totally what the original author was going for. (see Naruto and Bleach)

16. LesExit Empty without rats... & F America

I didn't know what manga was when I first saw the Naruto anime on cartoon network, it was the chunnin exams and I just fell in love in minutes. The characters and the world just grabbed me!! So after watching one episode a night for a week, I found episodes online and I basically spent my entire summer when I was 10 or something watching all of Part 1 XD. My mom was so mad that all I'd done is sit at the computer for like 2 months. Then right when I was nearing Part 2, I saw a picture of Naruto's shippuden version and I was like WHAT!?!? There's a part 2 and they're older! I was convinced it was going to end when they were like 12. However the anime wasn't that far into Part 2....and I caught up with it and I was like, damn I really wish I knew more of the story. Then I found out that Naruto was actually a manga, then I started reading it around a little before the Pein Arc.

So...to me the anime was important, because it's what I fell in love with in the beginning. Also helped throw me into an awkward middle school weeaboo phase :lmao. I didn't have the manga to compare it too and I didn't even realize there was anime "filler" so I never judged the anime that way. After reading the manga, I loved that too for years!! Though in the last few years I lost most of my excitement for Naruto as a manga and also what was in the past my favorite protagonist. There's multiple reasons why I guess...

The anime became 100% trash the moment it became filler trash. The quality of animation was also crappy a lot of the time...so in general I'd say the manga quality wise is more reliable. Though I can never forget the pure enjoyment the anime brought me when I was younger!!

This was so much longer than I intended...

17. SoulFire! Venerable Sage

I actually like elements of both. Manga takes precedence due to canon and Kishi's style and design, but there are some things such as battles that are better understood with motion and sound. I also enjoy seeing and hearing the characters in action. So I like both the manga and the anime, but I prefer the purity of the manga. Too much filler foolishness, flanderization and fiddling with canon in the anime.

18. `Lazlo Ban camp general.

Anime for the fighting scenes and to get like the full experience I wanna say imo you see the characters reactions and emotions better. But pure plot and good dialogue and more info then manga.

19. Skaddix Well-Known Member

20. Crimson Flam3s Rampage Sage

Nothing can top the immersion of great soundtrack and animated fights. Go get yourself a big nice tv and a decent sound system and watch the final battle and compare that to the dull manga version. Every punch they throw makes your room vibrate, it's almost like you are there. The anime version did right and expanded the taijutsu scene incredibly.

I read the manga around the kage arc onwards and didn't stop only because I was too ahead (month's worth) and waiting would be too painful.

Anime's greatest downfall is filler though, which I normally just skip and use it as a break. Manga is still great if you don't care about any of the advantages of anime.

Any well done anime adaptation>>>>>manga imo, for example, Death Note or HunterxHunter.

21. foxfairy Active Member

manga is better. As already said, anime is good just to see the fights animated and the characters on motion. Sometimes Pierrot tries to retcon and explain some details that was ignored in the manga, especially regarding the relationship of the characters, but in the end of the day, it's not canon.

The manga has a different tone, plus most characters in the anime have different traits and peculiarities. The anime has more fillers than story, so who follows the anime will have a different vision of Naruto.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017