1. Fancy yourself a sleuth, evil mastermind, debating pro, and/or just plain love One Punch Man? If so, sign up for Akihabara Lounge's first Mafia game, themed on One Punch Man.

LINK
  2. Hey you

Yeah you!

Have you always wanted to impress Gordon Ramsey with your culinary skills?

Well you can't...

But you can impress the NF community by joining the Cooking Contest in the Bento Box!

And we promise we won't make you cry like him.
  3. Celebrate our first Xenforo anniversary and join the forum lottery here
  4. Check out "Peerless", by our very own Shrooms!

Magi

Discussion in 'Akihabara Library' started by Zaru, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Palm Siberia Well-Known Member

Chibi Arba is cute

2. Rica_Patin True Patrician

There is a silent fury brewing in my soul.
    I don't care about how much of a god-awful hack Ohtaka is.
    I'm not one for ships, but fuck if my heart and mind aren't ravaged my how Ohtaka once again fucked up something so well built upon.
    I don't think I'll read her next series.

3. Vongola King The King

that could've been literally anyone. far from a hint

at best you can say it was implied he saw the same pig guy. but definitely nothing here was hinted.

the shipping thing has been bullshit but far from the worst shit about this disgraced manga

i hope it ends soon tbh

4. Gunners .

The reaction towards pairings usually annoys me because people display a lack of knowledge on how they start or have unreasonable expectations. I don't know if Aladdin and Kyo is written in stone but, if it is, so what? I don't know why people have this misconception that it must be hinted at and that time must be spent building towards it. Their past isn't fucked up, they're comrades, and nothing has ruled out mutual attraction.

On to the chapter, the series is heading towards its end. I think what we witnessed was the opening act: setting up the new world, and pointing towards the underlying issues with it. The second phase will deal with those problems manifesting in a significant way; I suspect David/Sinbad will make more obvious moves in the near future. Final phase will be the resolution.

Suspect it will be between 63 and 90 chapters.

I mean, really? We live in a world where people are fucking after swipes but people are moaning over the lack of set up.

5. Kellogem Well-Known Member

while I think it kind of weak to call that a hint as it was a comedy thing I think its obvious it was supposed to be Aladdin.. Kougyoku thinks its the Alibabas fugly brother, then the fortune teller yells after her "wait, there is another face" but she is gone, next panel we see Aladdin looking at someone horrified. simple stuff.

regardless the thing still out of nowhere.

LordPerucho is on a vacation or why hasnt he posted the link?

http://raw.senmanga.com/Magi_-_Labyrinth_of_Magic/316/1

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2016
  6. Ryuzaki Moonlight ۷۸٦ Moderator

Looks like Sinbad is prepping to deceive them all.

7. LordPerucho Well-Known Member

Busy with work and also "that" chapter kinda killed my interest in the series.

Also

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-08-04/magi-manga-is-halfway-through-final-arc/.105004

Looks like Magi is ending next year, unless Ohtaka is gonna go full Kubo more than ever.

8. Kellogem Well-Known Member

Halfway through the arc and shit hardly happened.. its still more left than I was expecting.

sad to say it but I wont miss Magi much either.. even though it had tons of potential and good world building. but lets wait out how it ends.

9. Ryuzaki Moonlight ۷۸٦ Moderator

I felt like it reached a point, where the power levels became ridiculous. I didn't think it reached that point until Aladdin vs. Arba though, I mean I still feel cheated by not seeing Sinbad vs. Kouen.

10. Vino

It's not as bad as Kubo not revealing the remaining Bankais and whatnot.

11. LordPerucho Well-Known Member

We should get it, but how many fights can we get with only 33 chapters left?

We have also to see Ignatius MV/EM, for a reason Ohtaka didnt have him show his powers in the Magnostadt Arc, we also gotta see how strong Koumei and Kouha became.....

12. Kellogem Well-Known Member

Magis fights are short and with group fights she could save even more chapters.. If she would put some effort in it I think she could fit 10 fights into it with practically all the important, fighting capable protagonists involved.

but with how currently there are like no antagonist left besides Sinbad, Im not sure how it could play out.. If Sinbad would suddenly pull out some elite al thamen force out of his ass, go all david/il Ilah/whatever and start a war we would have the time for it, but if ohtaka keeps wasting chapters on Sinbad ominously smiling with a shadow covering his upper face, we can forget all the sidecast being relevant.

13. Keishin Well-Known Member

I think the next series will be called Doggo Shitto because I'm dropping this series at 314 can't believe I thought it was as good as HxH once
    I'm out

14. Rica_Patin True Patrician

Yeah, I remember back during the peak of the series around Zagan/Hogwarts when I also had no problem saying it was one of the best shonen out there.
    It's just so sad to see what this series is now. So much potential...

15. LordPerucho Well-Known Member

http://www.mangasail.com/content/magi-labyrinth-magic-316

An Antagonist with double personalities has potential in being great...

16. Palm Siberia Well-Known Member

Spoiler:
    Is Sinbad not a villain anymore?

17. son_michael Embrace The Kai

Nice to finally see Morg and Alibaba end up together, it's been foreshadowed well but I was afraid Hkauryu would have stolen her heart in the time she was apart from Alibaba, glad that didn't happen.

18. BackwoodSlav Member

AladdinxKougyoku was indeed random. Even if there was an entire year? (don't remember the exact time frame) that Aladdin supposedly spent in the Kou empire before the Dark Continent trip (which could go long way in justifying the current state of affairs), that sort of off-screen development is lazy. The author should at least give us a flashback or something. Good thing I never read this series for shipping.

What I still don't get is the harping about powerleves. If anything, I feel like Magi is pretty tame compared to other shounen series when it comes to power creep. Besides that, the things people seem to mostly complain about are how the series is focusing too much on politics/economy now and how the pacing has slowed down to a crawl. I agree with those points somewhat, but both politics and slow build-ups for conflict have always been a part of this series, and I don't think it has ever failed to deliver in the end (discounting Alma-Torran arc, that was rushed as heck). Things finally seem to be on the move as of the most recent chapter too. If you find slow worldbuilding unbearable, then I frankly don't see how you have lasted with this manga for so long.

Seriously, it's like half of the posts at this point are just people yelling about how the series sucks and how they are going to drop this. I'm not going to tell people what to do, but you could give actual reasons and arguments for why you think so? Many other forums I frequent seem to think the series is still fine, so I'm actually curious about what the people here are thinking to have such extreme reactions.

19. Yoshua That Guy

You know, most people when they don't like something, they stop reading it.

Like, I stopped reading Naruto after Kaguya came into play.

If you don't like something, why put yourself through the torture of reading it?

20. BackwoodSlav Member

On another note, I think it's funny how people keep comparing this series to HunterXHunter and say that Togashi did so much better job. Like, have they even read the most recent HxH chapters? It's more like reading a book than a manga. The author keeps giving us these huge walls of text even in the middle of a supposedly climatic battle. The way Hisoka survived his deathmatch with Chrollo was no less of an asspull than the deus ex machina that allowed Alibaba+Judar to survive. It also has these long chapters where almost nothing happens, and we don't even get to see the main cast much. The nen abilities nowadays are more like puzzles than actual superpowers too. Heck, the series doesn't even really have an overarching plot, and lets not even mention the art at certain points or the hiatuses.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love HxH as much as the next guy and consider it a classic manga that has a lot of good things going for it, but I just had to point out this double standard at play. People seem to be blind to the fact that current HxH shares many of the same problems current Magi has, and yet it doesn't seem to bother them nearly as much. I guess HxH really is some kind of special cookie....

21. Keishin Well-Known Member

It shares none of the problems Magi does and it's intentionally written to be harder to read from your average shounen. All arcs differ from the arcs that came before them and Togashi puts alot of effort into writing the characters and events that take place. Arba legit lost her body and still keeps coming back...

22. LordPerucho Well-Known Member

Arba is starting to look like the female Naraku for all the Ls she has taken lately and keep coming back...

23. BackwoodSlav Member

>Pacing where almost nothing big happens in roughly dozen chapters or so and things are simply set up for some huge event in the future, with most of the page time spent building the world? Check.
    >Chapters where we don't see much of the MCs and people just keep talking for a looong time? Check.
    >Hisoka monologues excessively even in the middle of a deathmatch and asspulls a resurrection technique that doesn't really make sense (even if his heart started beating again, how didn't he get brain damage)? Check.
    >Art gets really messy at certain points? Check.
    >Abilities get more complicated than many people like them as (not really a objective flaw but a matter of taste)? Check.
    I almost literally underlined these things in my previous post, so I don't see how you missed them.
    This isn't an argument. You're basically just saying "there's nothing wrong with the writing, you're just reading it wrong". You could use this sort of argument to defend any manga, Magi included. This is the same as me saying something like this: "Magi isn't written like your average shounen, it doesn't need constant conflict and you're just too lazy to pay attention."
    I never denied any of this. I explicitly stated that HxH has many good things going for it, even if it has flaws too. HxH doesn't really have a main plot, but it's instead a very character-driven series with it's own kind of interesting developments. That said, what it was during the past arcs has no bearing to what it is currently, that's just another cop-out.
    And she has a legit good reason for being able to do it, which has been foreshadowed since ages ago. Your point?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  24. Vongola King The King

25. Vongola King The King

@BackwoodSlav look up the definition of asspull and you'd know hisoka surviving is definitely not it. i swear people are always carelessly throwing around that word.

also most of what you said about hxh aren't even flaws.

26. rajin Looking for a translator

http://raw.senmanga.com/Magi_-_Labyrinth_of_Magic/317/1

27. BackwoodSlav Member

The way Hisoka made his heart beat again did make sense, yes. However, nothing in the chapter explains how he managed to not get brain damage out of the experience (or other permanent damage from lack of oxygen), and since post-mortem nen stuff is a thing in HxH verse, it shows a remarkable lack of foresight on Chrollo's part to not properly confirm his kill (especially since the spiders did manage to retrieve his body afterwards). Why didn't he just cut off Hisoka's head just in case? Suffocation isn't necessarily something that's immediately obvious from a quick observation after all. It was a plot device to keep Hisoka alive, and the way it worked out didn't honestly make much sense. You can call it PIS or something else if you want, but asspull was merely the simplest way for me to express my feelings on the subject.

It's also not the only example. Things like Gon's adult transformation also weren't foreshadowed properly either. At what point and how did he learn such skill? My point is that almost all series do things like this at some point.
    I actually agree, although I must admit that too slow developments can hurt a series like Magi with a weekly format. The reason I mentioned those things was because they were similar to the only actual arguments people have made against Magi in the recent pages (as opposed to ranting with one-liners). I was just pointing out the double standard of not treating those things as "flaws" for other popular series.

That said, this is starting to get a little off-topic now. This is a thread for Magi after all.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  28. Donquixote Doflamingo Master Puppeteer

29. Magnum Miracles Well-Known Member

Kinda upset I was spoiled just as I'm halfway through the Adventures of Sinbad anime, but it was a really good chapter.

30. Kellogem Well-Known Member

its been awhile since the last chapter..