1. Fancy yourself a sleuth, evil mastermind, debating pro, and/or just plain love One Punch Man? If so, sign up for Akihabara Lounge's first Mafia game, themed on One Punch Man.

LINK
  2. Hey you

Yeah you!

Have you always wanted to impress Gordon Ramsey with your culinary skills?

Well you can't...

But you can impress the NF community by joining the Cooking Contest in the Bento Box!

And we promise we won't make you cry like him.
  3. Attention!
    Have some bad ideas? This is your chance!
    Send them to Xiammes! Maybe a winner will receive something. I don't know. Don't quote me on that.

Magi by the creator of Sumomomo Momomo - Part 2

Discussion in 'Akihabara Records' started by Tazmo, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tazmo The Supreme Cheese

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

2. Tazmo The Supreme Cheese

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

3. Swagger Wagon Snake Worst Girl

I'm conflicted on whether all the sameface in this chapter is intentional or not.
    Ugo looks like a handsome square chinned Alibaba. Sinbad is probably going to be Solomon's new incarnation. I'll bet $5 that Alibaba's mom/the woman beside Ugo will look suspiciously like Morg. Is Ugo or Solomon supposed to be Aladdin's dad?

This manga will take a very awkward turn if Aladdin has been surrounded by incarnations of his parents all this time :argh

4. Smoke ▄█▀ █▄ █▄█ ▀█▀

5. Zaru ________________________________ Advisor

Alma Tazmoran taking over not one, but TWO of the first posts.

Anyway, loving all this exposition.

6. Sphyer ~

Glad to see Ugo's identity has been revealed at last :hmm

7. Swagger Wagon Snake Worst Girl

But what Gyoukuen does have the exact same silhouette as Aladdin's mom doesn't she?

I don't know what the fuck is going on anymore.

8. Stannis Based

focalor :pimp

she's the kou empress/hakuryuu 's mother whatever her name was methinks.

I think the magi that was speaking to solomon would turn out to be aladdin's father. and the leader of al thamen from the other world.

---------
    Ithnan is two in arabic btw.

9. Blunt Well-Known Member

They have the same staff. But she looks so much like Aladdin there. I find it strange that she was a boy in her past life (which is strange because I thought she didn't re-incarnate). Though, knowing the author, she could have just been a young boy-looking woman.

10. Blunt Well-Known Member

Nope, the one talking to Solomon was Gyouken. We still don't know who the other one is (probably Aladdin's mother).

Spoiler: same staff

11. Moe Active Member

Why? What is the point of having drawn so many similar faces?

12. Wesley Guess who it is!?

The one speaking to Solomon was Aladdin. Gyokouen is the woman behind Ugo and is Aladdin's mother. Although, what am I thinking? That would actually result in Aladdin being an interesting character. No way it could be...

En (17) kneeling to Hakuei (12) was adorable.

13. Drakor Active Member

So Ugo is a Magi that turned into a Djinn, guess this means it isn't limited to metal vessal users and assimilated households.

It would be interesting if the one speaking to Soloman wasn't merely a person Gyokuen adopted ideals and the staff from, but was truly Aladdin himself in adult form or the "father" of Al Thamen. However I dislike this idea, since it makes a hole in regards to whom the "mother" in his flashback was during the arc prior to Magnostadt... unless that aforementioned scene was before he grew up to be a magi of Solomon.

Edit: Yea, I'll go with the simplistic viewpoint of Gyokuen being the villain speaking to Solomon while in her youth, and that Aladdin has not been born/created yet based on this (http://img.batoto.net/comics/2013/08/21/m/read5214c876261b9/img000015.png). Still its pretty funny how Aladdin rushed the story when asked who the person next to Ugo was...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  14. Dark Active Member

15. Saphira .

Apparently, Ohtaka said on websunday.net, along with the release of the new volume cover, that some characters are going to die soon...here's a translation (http://azurempress.tumblr.com/post/77822911043/cielless-otaka-said-some-of-the-existing)(btw, this is the tumblr of a sense-scans translator).

Here's the original link (http://websunday.net/backstage/ootaka/)

16. ~Howling~ &#32

On the other hand,that cover is awesome.

17. Saphira .

I'm pretty sure it's not going to be any main character though, maybe someone from alma toran?

18. Wesley Guess who it is!?

19. Roman ABSOLUTE JUSTICE

I'm not putting my hopes on a minor character getting offed but I seriously doubt it'll be one of the main 3 characters (Alibaba, Aladdin and Morgiana).

20. Black Knight Active Member

21. Wesley Guess who it is!?

22. Malvingt2 The Normal Maniac

23. Roman ABSOLUTE JUSTICE

Wesley thinks he's reading Game of Thrones.

24. Wesley Guess who it is!?

There's a difference between expecting a character to die and wanting them to die.

Although it's hard to imagine a circumstance where anyone would to be honest. Even during the Magnostadt arc, none the of shitty mages were killed. Pretty much fodder for a single arc and not a one was killed, even though it was a real war.

Like this little fucker;

http://magi.wikia.com/wiki/Mohja

I hate this guy, why couldn't he have been killed off? It was even implied that Mu turned him into a pile of dust, but lo and behold, he made it out of the arc alive. Why didn't any of those assholes die when there was really no reason at all to keep them alive?

25. Roman ABSOLUTE JUSTICE

That's not actually why I said it. It's because you think every character should be a schemer or even a backstabber who would kill without hesitation, whether he thinks it's for a just cause or purely for his greed. Just like in Game of Thrones. Because Aladdin doesn't satisfy your standards, you want him dead.

You have expectations of this manga that don't even fit with the manga and the message it tries to convey in the first place. It really looks like you don't want to read Magi because you're expecting something totally different.

26. Wesley Guess who it is!?

A schemer or a backstabber? When have I given that impression?

And all I want from Aladdin is for him to suffer consequences for his actions. If he were content to just sit on the side-lines and think about boobs all day, more power to him, but he isn't and doesn't. Aladdin does and says things but is never criticized, never a word against him.

My expectations for the manga are based solely upon what the manga has established. Alibaba often wonders about what he's going to do, what can be done. He sets goals and tries to accomplish something and other characters actually acknowledge the things he says and things he does. Alibaba actually suffers.

Aladdin is just a little jerk off.

27. ensoriki Dicey

Hope its Koumei.

28. Wesley Guess who it is!?

29. Roman ABSOLUTE JUSTICE

I remember your arguments during the war arc when Aladdin was doing his best to preserve lives on both sides on the conflict and you were complaining about how he's still taking sides by "attacking Reim" when he was merely pushing them back, without killing them, in order to save the people of Magnostadt, who were in turn target to Reim's aggression. I seemed as tho you wanted him to be taking lives since to you, he made a clear statement he was with Magnostadt even tho that was never the case. Thus my comment about you thinking this is Game of Thrones and not Magi.

Frankly, the fact that he is a Magi with the power to communicate directly with the Rukh in order to see into the past leaves little room for doubt. Unlike Alibaba, however, Aladdin has always had a much more solid state of being as well as a stronger sense of conviction over what he needs to do. This is partly thanks to his power, partly because he has a very innocent honesty. That is a quality that should be admired, not something to condemn as you always do (which further feeds into the impression you're likening Magi to Game of Thrones). This was a flaw that Alibaba has had and is the reason why he enters into self-conflict more often. Granted, this makes for a more interesting character because you get to see him grow, while Aladdin already appears to be mature in that sense. So the real question is: do you dislike him for his character or just because Ohtaka didn't really need him to grow throughout the series?

30. Wesley Guess who it is!?

The problem back then was many fold. Aladdin completely disregarded Reim's side of the conflict. He didn't know or care why Reim was attacking. Whatever problems Magnostadt presented, Aladdin had no interest in solving them. He immediately skipped all the small potatoes and claimed to be acting in the interests of the world...

Except, he involved himself in the war rather than deal with the actual threat to the world itself. He ignored the Dark Spot in favor of helping his magician buddies. If he'd at had said that, that waned to help Magnostadt for personal reasons, that might have been okay, but he didn't. Worst of all, even though he acted in a way that was against his stated goals and reasons, no one called him out on it.

No one lets Alibaba get away with his bullshit. Any time he acts indecisive or like an idiot, people clamp down on him.

Aladdin doesn't have doubts or has confidence because he knows what's right. He doesn't have doubts or has confidence because he doesn't have to do anything and has no responsibilities. He doesn't have to worry about the consequences of his actions. he just does whatever he wants and gets away with it.

Alibaba is compelling because he has doubts for good reasons. The situations he faces are ones that don't have easy answers to them. No one in Alibaba's position with the kind of power Alibaba has could manage to do better, which is what makes him sympathetic and likable.

Aladdin? It took 200 chapters to give Aladdin a pet project to call his own and when it comes down to it, I'm sure he'll more or less snap his fingers and purify the black rukh at the cost of no one.

31. CA182 Active Member

Oh this will be good. :LOS

32. Roman ABSOLUTE JUSTICE

You can make an argument that he was disregarding both sides if that's how you're gonna put it. Aladdin took out the generators that were powering the monsters Magnostadt was using to fight Reim iirc, and like I said, Reim was still the aggressor in the conflict. Considering Magnostadt had no defenses thereafter, Aladdin had to push Reim back. And he still spared the lives of everyone on both sides. How do you expect a neutral party to act? Let Reim continue to attack Magnostadt? He DID have an interest in solving problems on both sides, but he also understood it couldn't be done if they were still fighting each other. He needed them to cool down first.

That's BS and you know it. He took the responsibility of preserving the lives of all the people in the war by himself and somehow succeeded. He took the responsibility to speak to Hakuei to broker a peace agreement with the Kouga clan, again in order to preserve lives and stop conflicts from escalating into an all out war. He does all of that because he knows what's right.

Aladdin's case is vastly different from Alibaba's because unlike Alibaba, when he arrived in the new world, there was nothing that connected him to it. Alibaba already had a connection to this world, just as Morgiana did and everyone else. Aladdin is the fourth Magi when there have only ever been three. By definition, it is as if he has no place in the world. His entire story has been about finding such a place, and it started with Alibaba. Is it therefore any surprise at all that it took so long to give him a pet project, as you say? And it won't be a simple matter of snapping his fingers and turning black rukh back to white, else he'd have already done it.

33. Louis Cyphre Closest to God

34. Wesley Guess who it is!?

Aladdin destroyed the connection to the 5th level to save the people in the 5th level.

Reim was not the aggressor. They were responding to Magnostadt's internal policies and aggression towards their neighbors. Magnostadt even attacked Reim, which is just insane considering they're on the other side of an ocean.

At no point does Aladdin take into consideration Reim's problems, nor does he promise to do anything about Magnostadt. His sole concern is the anger of the magicians. He gave an ultimatum. He said he would thwart any attack against Magnostadt offering nothing in return, effectively absolving Magnostadt of any responsibility for anything they've ever done.

Aladdin made no promises and offered nothing. He'll threaten Reim for defending itself, but will not force Magnostadt to reform? If the Medium and the Chancellor hadn't done the job for him, don't you think Aladdin would really be backed into a corner in terms of what he could do to resolve the situation that he's stepped into?

He got lucky. Scherazade backed off completely when any responsible leader would have seen that the situation was hardly resolved. That Magnostadt was still a corrupt and dangerous country. That Kou was still interested in conquering them. That Aladdin was not even officially representative of Magnostadt and didn't once say that he would do anything to change anything, let alone what he was actually willing to do.

At the very least, Aladdin's short comings as a Magi and as a person should have been evident, but that didn't happen. He got a free pass and no one said a word against him.

That's not responsibility. That's interference. No one expected him to do anything and he never promised to act in any way. He just does whatever he wants. If there is no obligation and there are no personal consequences, there is no responsibility.

He is also a little kid. Really, I don't necessarily have a problem with Aladdin just walking around observing things. If he's going to beat up bandits, that's completely fine. However, he got himself involved in a war and now he's arbitrating between the 3 most powerful countries on the planet when no one should have any reason to listen to him whatsoever.

He probably will more or less. It will be easy and no one will get hurt in the process. Super mega happy ending where everyone dies and goes to heaven.

35. Roman ABSOLUTE JUSTICE

And that isn't indicative of his neutrality to you?

Yes, they were responding to its internal policies. And what right does Reim have to do that as an external party? Magnostadt wasn't part of Reim's empire, and so Reim didn't have any right to interfere as it had absolutely no jurisdiction over its internal policies. What Reim did was a pre-emptive act of war, which even irl is illegal under international law. Don't get me wrong, I don't think what Magnostadt was doing is wrong, but what needed to be done was to hold talks with Magnostadt's leadership in order to gain a common understanding and convince Mogamett that the Goi are not all like how he's grown to view them. Attacking them was not the way to achieve that. Oh wait, Aladdin knew that too and tried to talk it out with Mogamett! How about that shit?

And rightly so. He wanted to understand why the magicians were angry with them and wanted to resolve the matter peacefully and avoid conflict. And he was also right to threaten to thwart any attack by Reim considering Aladdin cut off Magnostadt's main line of defense when he destroyed line to "the power supply" that was the 5th district. Aladdin basically destroyed Magnostadt's main line of defense and took responsibility for that action by taking on Reim. Beyond that, how is Aladdin in any position to understand Reim's problems? Wait.....what problems are you even talking about? Aladdin took care of that when he cut off Magnostadt's main line of defense when he destroyed line to "the power supply" that was the 5th district.

Aladdin made no promises because he's not in a political position to do so. He's not the leader of a nation like Scheherazade, Kouen and Sinbad. Being a Magi doesn't grant him such a position. What it does grant him is the position of adviser toward his chosen king. And who is that king? Alibaba: prince of a kingdom that currently belongs to the Kou empire, meaning he has no political leverage either, as this current arc is demonstrating.

And Reim defending itself? Reim ATTACKED Magnostadt. The war took place on Magnostadt territory. What are you even reading?

Again, what are you even reading? They're still trying to resolve that matter in this current arc by bringing in leaders and representatives from each nation at present. The underlying cause of Magnostadt's problems was its former association to Al Sarmen. Isn't that what Aladdin is discussing with everyone else right now? Or did I miss the part where Robb was killed and the head of his wolf placed where his head used to be?

So basically, you'd have preferred it if Aladdin just stood aside and did nothing while the whole clan got wiped off the face of the planet forever?

Srsly Weasley, you're grasping at straws just to discredit Aladdin. If you don't like his character, fine, but it's stupid to make silly justifications and excuses to hate him. Especially when when you clearly haven't even thought about the larger picture.

36. Dark Active Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Aladdin say that King Solomon created the world that they currently live in? He also said every world has its own creator, then in the latest chapter he says that King Solomon was one of the previous world's magicians (and the strongest) and the one who saved Alma Torran. So my point is, King Solomon was created by a different creator and then he himself created another world? I thought creators were supposed to be some godly entities and not created by some other god.

37. Roman ABSOLUTE JUSTICE

It was always known that Solomon is the creator of the current world, and Ilah created Alma Torran. Nothing was said that someone created in one world can't create another world. Besides, it doesn't appear as if everything about Solomon is yet known.

38. Wesley Guess who it is!?

It didn't benefit Reim in any particular way, while it had obvious benefits for Magnostadt.

Because those internal policies were successful and threatened to take over the world.

1.) It wasn't preemption, it was retaliation. Magnostadt was an enemy.

2.) Magnostadt doesn't hold talks with anyone. There is no reasoning with that country. They think they're victims, they think they are and know better than anyone else. It's a mad country beyond reason.

3.) Crushing the country and breaking it's peoples spirits would secure Reim as a nation and the world as a whole.

Aladdin understood just fine why the magicians were angry and those reasons had nothing to do with reality. They were angry and unhinged, and he agreed with them.

Rather the Finalists Corps was about to wreck that thing anyway, so all he ended up doing was saving the people in the 5th level.

Reim's problems with Magnostadt is that they're an isolationist country with great power that threatens it's neighbors and Reim. It's also a country that Kou has designs on. Reim cannot allow Magnostadt to be conquered or allied with Kou.

Which is why it was terrible that Reim backed down. The situation was not resolved, Aladdin didn't speak for Magnostadt, nor did he promise to do anything about Reim's reasons for going to war in the first place. The war happened for a reason and those reasons STILL EXISTED! That Scherazade would go to war and then stop war without any resolution doesn't speak well of her character at all.

She was epic and awesome until she ran up against the Sue character that made her pee herself.

Magnostadt attacked Reim and it's neighbors. This is mentioned numerous times in the lead up to the war. We don't see any battles that took place, but it's mentioned quite often.

Magnostadt's problems had nothing to do with Al Tharem.

If he's going to use his actions from back then to justify his actions in the war, yes, I would have preferred that he let the Kouga tribe be destroyed or that Hakuei be killed.

I think I'm the only one that understands the big picture.

39. Roman ABSOLUTE JUSTICE

Again, BS. And you know it. Magnostadt would've destroyed Reim's platoons if Aladdin hadn't done that.

BS. It was obvious right from the start that it wasn't a sustainable system in the long run, especially when the citizens in the 5th district were hardly well taken care of.

1. Retaliation to what? When did Magnostadt attack Reim?

2. Why do you think Aladdin went there? He went for Sinbad's sake but mainly to learn more about what was happening in Magnostadt. And when he found out what was happening, he knew shit was insane but was in the perfect position to speak to Mogamett as a fellow magician.

3. And lay down more seeds of discontent among its newfound people, seeds of rebellion and civil strife. That's not secure at all and the reason why countless empires in history fell. You do know there's a certain country that exists today because of it? I think it was called United States of America or something along those lines.

He agreed with them to the extent that the people of Mustashim abused and mistreated the magicians. But he also saw how Magnostadt himself had become the same sort of monster he hated by mistreating people with lesser power than himself (5th district) and that the Goi of Mustashim were not all like the other Goi from outside (Alibaba, Morgiana, the people of Siindria, the Kouga clan, and so on).

Fucking exactly, so tell me how he was serving Magnostadt's interests exclusively?

What about Reim's problems in general? And Magnostadt was developing in power yes. But like I said, it wasn't sustainable, and Mogamett never directly threatened or instigated other countries. Emphasis on "isolationist" here. By the definition of that very word, they wanted nothing to do with other countries and never made any attempt at world conquest like Reim or Kou have.

That's your problem, not Scheherazade's. You wanted Magnostadt crushed, Scheherazade and Aladdin both came to agree things ought to be resolved peacefully.

WHEN?

Black Rukh experiments? Ring any bells?

Then that's your problem. You don't like the fact that Aladdin wants to do good for others. You wanted him to be a chaotic neutral character who doesn't want to have to do anything with anyone unless it benefits him. Sorry to break your bubble but Aladdin's not the mercenary or Melisandre type character you wanted him to be. And the fact that he succeeds in his intent to do good indiscriminately seems to piss you off too. Guess there's no point taking you seriously anymore at this stage.

40. Kellogem Well-Known Member

dont really want to get into the argument, but didnt Magnostadt sell those magical weapons to pirates, thieves and who knows who else running around threatening the "goi" in other countries?

I can understand why Reim (or anyone affected) getting pissed at Magnostadt after finding out they are supporting bandits with weapons.. its like Magnostadt was shitting on other countries, taking profit and using it to gain power.

trading weapons with anyone who wants them, they were like allies of anyone wanting to break havoc in goi territory as long as it doesnt concern them while they admittedly were developing their own weapons of mass destruction.

edit: I too think Aladdins way of dealing with the situation was convenient and not well thought-out... he stopped the war, awesome, but he had no idea what to do with the situation in mangostadt regarding the suppressed goi (at least didnt share with anyone) and couldnt ensure kou woulndt invade Mangoshtadt which would threaten reim, also even if that wouldnt happen, he had no way of stopping Mogamet from producing weapons and selling them to Reims enemies...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  41. Dark Active Member

My point is, it was stated that every world has a creator, now since we learned Solomon was created by another being, the previous statement doesn't make much sense anymore. For all we know, Ilah might have also been created by some other creator.

42. Malvingt2 The Normal Maniac

I am still amazed that Magi yet to have a Sub section in this forum. I just saw that Kill La Kill has one for the anime side. What an injustice.

43. Aldric Active Member

man I have more and more trouble recognizing who's who in this manga

everyone looks too similar

so basically that girl with small horns (very subtle) will be the one at the origin of the disaster uh

she's probably one of the magis of alma toran too

we haven't seen gyokuen yet, right?

44. Catalyst75 Well-Known Member

Solomon, is that you? You look a lot like Alladin.

I also have the feeling the girl is Gyokuen.

45. belkrax King Of Imagination

I have the same feeling too. Maybe its the soulless eyes.

Anyways i do feel the author is going to play a romance between Gyokuen and Solomon. Some character development that will get totally screwed when something bad happens and some of the magicians will start to think like this little girl..

Young Ithnan was HAHAHAHA.

46. Wesley Guess who it is!?

It won't get one because there isn't enough Tits and Ass.

47. Stilzkin Well-Known Member

Hating the character designs in the newest chapter.

Why do some of the characters have modern looking glasses? That's so out of place.

48. Black Knight Active Member

49. Wesley Guess who it is!?

50. Malvingt2 The Normal Maniac

wow. You did open my eyes. You are speaking the true. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.