1. Miss Akihabara 2017: Preliminary Round: Nominations & Qualifications (inc. Naruto and one piece).
    Is currently being held in the Akihabara district, visit the thread here to find out more.

Looking for Desktop for around 500$

Discussion in 'Tech Hub' started by Bungee Gum, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Bungee Gum /

My target games are Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, and Dota 2. My current laptop can barely run Diablo 3 online(very laggy), and Starcraft 2 can get pretty laggy as well, along with Dota2. I play all these games currently on the lowest settings, and I don't much care for playing these games on high settings or even good settings. My focus is to play these games online without lag on low or medium settings, and I have no urge to play games like Battlefield 3 or Crysis 2. So with that said, can someone recommend a gaming rig that is around 500$ that can play these games efficiently at low or medium graphics?

I'm looking for pre-made stuff, I'm not going to build a computer. And I'm hoping this is possible and I don't have to spend much more(I have 1000$), and it should be, because my 3 year old laptop that was never a gaming laptop, and has a crappy cpu and gpu(like really crappy 5 year old crap), can play these games already(albeit lag in Diablo 3 and Dota 2, with little lag in Starcraft 2 unless I'm in a custom game that is taxing).

Thanks if anyone responds.

2. Sanity Check away fighting dragons

AFAIK, X has the most affordable gaming desktops.

X

X

X

3. Bungee Gum /

That first one seems like a good deal. It doesn't seem to come with a monitor though :(

4. Bungee Gum /

Man, shouldn't there be cheap desktops and monitors? Like monitors under 100 bucks, all these 20 inch 130$ monitors i find, I am content with like a 16 inch monitor. I don't need something that can play SC2 at high or ultra graphics, just low or medium at 30 fps. that shouldnt be over 500 bucks along with a monitor.

5. Sanity Check away fighting dragons

These guys have the lowest priced monitors I know of... can't say I've spent much time looking for affordable monitors, though. :WOW

X

X

6. Bungee Gum /

AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M300, 3gb ram, AMD M880g with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200.

my current specs. Now tell me, isn't anything i could buy, better then this?

7. Hunter &#32

Your best bet is to buy a Laptop due to needing a screen. Unless you can find a desktop around newegg or tiger for $300-450 with an AMD APU or Sandy Bridge. What's your limit is it exactly $500 or can you go up a little more?

8. Bungee Gum /

i have 1000$ but prefer to only spend 500.

9. nekroturkey Member

For $500, you won't be able to get anything a whole lot better than what you currently have if you plan on getting a monitor as well.

X

X

X

The above websites let you customize a PC with the parts that you want and then they build it for you. If you'd be willing to spend $600-$700, then we could recommend some configurations that should be able to meet your needs. However, if you're adamantly against spending anything more than $500, then I'd recommend just getting another laptop as well. Any laptop you get for $500 will only be a small upgrade from what you currently have though.

X

This laptop has a couple good reviews. One guy is able to run Warcraft/LoL at about ~25-35 frames on high settings, while another guy is able to run BF3 on low settings at about ~35 frames.

10. Bungee Gum /

Wow, that's a good laptop, thanks, I might actually purchase that.

11. Hunter &#32

Other users have reported being to run Skyrim at med-high settings, but try finding one from another brand like Asus or Lenovo Thinkpad for reliability.

12. Sanity Check away fighting dragons

I would shell out an extra $50 - $100 for the desktop.
    • Double your RAM. 4 GB -> 8 GB.
    • Near Close to double FPS. 6670 graphcis card offers near 2x superior performance over that laptop.
    • Other specs are vastly improved if not doubled.

13. Bungee Gum /

I'll think about it. I'm cautious on splurging my money, don't want to spend it too fast like I usually do.

14. Hunter &#32

Understandable; but if you want to, you could wait a few months for the new Ivy Bridge Laptops that are pretty good with graphics.