1. The NF rules of conduct have been updated in response to the Xenforo upgrade. Please review them here.
  2. Please discuss and vote on the fate of the reputation system here.
  3. The forum medals contest is being extended for another month. Check this thread for more information.

Kurama's 'sudden' friendship with Naruto

Discussion in 'Konoha Library' started by skins, Feb 4, 2012.

1. skins Kurama is a Tsundere

I've seen a lot of hostility towards Kurama's 'sudden' friendship with Naruto, and wished to convey my thoughts on the matter in the form of an essay of sorts. All in all, I think that Kurama and Naruto's now somewhat solid friendship is perfect in the way it's built up. :) I'm interested to see what you all think. ^^;

-------------------------------

Given the latest chapter, I honestly feel like I can see why Kurama, and in turn the other tailed beasts, act the way they do.

The last words from the RS, which all the beasts seem to greatly respect at the very least, were that they'd discover true power on their own. After he died, my thoughts are that they stayed together for a little while before going on individual journeys to discover their own powers.

For those who've seen it, think Gatomon from Digimon. She waited for a while before going on her journey to discover what she was waiting for, then met Myotismon and went down a dark path. However, quite soon after meeting Kari, she turned sides almost instantly and became Kari's best friend, and there was never any doubt again.

Kurama's circumstances, at least to me, mirror this situation. Kurama was alone, presumably, for a long time; "Over the centuries, Kurama had gained a reputation as an age-old natural disaster, appearing suddenly out of nowhere to attack areas wherever human malice had collected and festered." (X, X)

Why would Kurama attack villages where malice had festered only? It seems strange to me, this little titbit. It makes me believe that Kurama didn't hate humans at this stage entirely, merely hated evil humans.

Then of course Marada started controlling him, and soon after that it was forcefully sealed inside someone, after Hashirama told him that "his power was too great, and he couldn't let him wander anymore". (X) I can see why Kurama was so filled with hate after that.

Then along comes Naruto, whose actions intrigued Kurama into watching him silently (X), for all of those years. At first, of course, Kurama wants nothing more than to kill Naruto because he was forced to live in his body and imprisoned. That dynamic seems to change slowly but surely over the course of the manga.

At first, Kurama remains the same, but after having his chakra taken away, and after licking his wounds and resting... I wonder what was going through Kurama's head during that stage. During this time between loosing his chakra and recovering, I think he wanted to test Naruto's resolve by calling out to him during chapter 538. When Naruto told him that one day, he would do something about Kurama's hate, I think this made him remember back to the days where he was searching for power like the RS had prophesized. I think he would've dismissed his thoughts immediately at first before going back to it at a later time. However, at some point, we know that Kurama has stopped taking Naruto's chakra. When this happened exactly is unclear, but I think it might've happened shortly after the hokage fight and daybreak (Chapter 545).

The reason I believe this is because of Naruto's declaration that living with a tailed beast inside him "wasn't so bad", and Kurama's shocked look. I think this line both reinforced Naruto's earlier proclaim of doing something about Kurama's hate as well as made Kurama think back to his previous hosts, who both lived happy lives.

Then we get to the fight with Tobi and the other bijuu/jin's, and Kurama is stubbornly holding onto his beliefs that Naruto is exactly the same as the other jin's before him, as well as the jin's from other villages with the exception of Bee and Gyuki, until he remembers the hate line. Kurama, at this stage, flashes back to moments in Naruto's life where he's changed all of their hate with his words and his actions, and decides to himself that, if he helps Son out, that he might just be the 'power' the RS told him to look for all along (I think that 'power' is love/friendship, btw >> )

And that's when Kurama decides to befriend Naruto, after EVERYTHING that he has observed and seen.

(As a side note: I think Gyuki reached the same conclusions as Kurama did, too. He clearly despised humanity too before being sealed into Bee, and in previous chapters, Gyuki himself has said that he went through "the same thing" in regards to his relationship with Bee, including the chakra cloak that Naruto currently has, before he reached the perfection he has now. But he's had some 25 odd years at least to bond with Gyuki; Naruto has only had 4, given he didn't even know about Kurama being inside him until he was 12. It's no wonder his transformations are so much more advanced than Naruto's own. )

All in all, that is why I think Kurama's actions in the recent chapters are justified, and also why I can accept them so easily (and I can't hide my excitement either XD ), and why I don't really understand why people are so up in arms about the 'sudden' change of character. To me at least, it wasn't sudden at all in the grand scheme of things. It took a lot of build-up and stuff behind the scenes in Kurama's life for him to finally decide to co-operate with Naruto.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. Golden Circle .

Friendship is Magic.

That is all.

3. skins Kurama is a Tsundere

Yes indeed. ^^

4. Zenith Semper Superne Nitens

Nah i believe it's bull crap,this manga has softened up too much now,all the evil guys we knew about are all folks who had a difficult past,from the bijuus to the humans,wtf really?

But it''s all good as there are some twisted fuckers like Tobi and Kabuto,this show can still be entertaining

5. Whirlpool Triumvir

I value friendship 'da fuck :noworries I need my bro's or I'd be a shell of my former self.

Maybe the tailed beasts are like me :lmao

6. SageEnergyMode Active Member

Basically, I can understand their anger that no human being ever lived up to the standard set by the rikudou sennin's last words.

7. WT #for the watch

Brilliant essay OP. Good work!

8. Summers look at my sig

Yeah I agree, but you might want to post the links next time.

9. BrokenBonds Blinded by Instinct

I don't like how Kishimoto went about doing this, I'd much prefer it if the Kyuubi retained at least some of his previous personality. Like if he still cared for Naruto but weren't so up front with it and continued acting as if he didn't want to help him out (i.e. like this: "I guess I'll help you out... just this one time though :pek... :LOS.")

I don't like the Kyuubi smiling in every panel and fucking fist pumping... :facepalm

10. Uzamaki Nagato Agent of Justice

Yeah, I agree, this is a FAR more convincing TnJ than any that Naruto's done.

At least Kurama didn't just turn tail and start obeying him, just like that.

11. skins Kurama is a Tsundere

Or they've lost hope ever finding said person, until the likes of Naruto and Bee show up. ^^

Thank you very much. :)

I'll add them now. ^^;

I think Kyuubi's changed his amosity to that of teasing him, such as the Sasuke comment. Also, they've only just begun; there's always the chance he'd be like Gyuki and insult Naruto here and there when he's getting on Kurama's nerves.

I foresee lots of fights in the future. >> :p

Exactly. ^^

12. Saru rude Moderator

Yeah, I think Kishimoto paced this thing well. How much more time do people think Kishimoto and Naruto are going to spend working on this friendship? It's just not that hard to make friends. smile-big

13. First Tsurugi M O T I V A T E D

This was anything but sudden.

This manga rushes plenty of things but the development of this relationship wasn't one of them.

I think this was handled the best it possibly could have been.

14. CrazyAries What a spectacular year!

After much thought, I do agree with those who say that this was the most convincing conversion that Naruto has made. Kurama had 16+ years to be affected by Naruto and many of us have remarked how Naruto's chakra could have also affected the bijuu. We knew that Naruto would have to form a cooperative bond with Kurama eventually, but there was the hope that Kurama would at least retain some of his personality. I don't want him to be a softie, but I do like the ribbing that he gave Naruto this chapter. :hehee

15. skins Kurama is a Tsundere

Well, currently the situation calls for complete seriousness and co-operation in battle, so it's natural that Kurama would hold back on his usual snark, since bijuu's primary concern is self preservation.

I think the old snarky tsundere Kurama will resurface after the big battles are over and done with. We got a glimpse at the end of chapter 570 before Kurama and Naruto bro-fisted, and in this chapter too. I personally feel that hints towards what their future exchanges are going to be like. ^^

16. alchemy1234 Active Member

I personally don't feel it's done convincingly at all. I'm quite disappointed and feel kishimoto did a much better job at writing characters and personality transitions in part 1. He's really been messing up in part 2 imo.

17. gabzilla Yuri Queen

What makes you think Kabuto and Tobi won't have a sobstory too? :zaru

18. Leuconoe Token Eva Girl

I think Kishimoto picked a good time for this relationship. Any earlier would result in more irritation from the fans, and any later would...well, result in more irritation from the fans. But I saw this relationship coming a mile away. Why couldn't Kurama get character development like everyone else, anyway?

19. Zenith Semper Superne Nitens

Who knows at this point...

20. hutman Hutman^v6

Please stfu with this bullshit..... on his own...kiss my ass. This is a godamn fox with wavy tails, whos just been seduced by this blockhead with a shitty thumbs up for life. Madara was right....Kyuubi is just a dumb bitch who loves to be beat up...nothing more than that.

21. Blackberry90 .

Good work OP, I agree with you.

I dont believe Kurama's 'friendship' with Naruto is sudden, I think the problem is that Kishi didnt show much of Kurama's views on Naruto before the recent chapters so imo this is the reason why the closeness between Naruto and Kurama seems sudden.

22. skins Kurama is a Tsundere

I completely agree that Kurama's relationship, from his perspective at least, was not well documented throughout the manga. However in saying that, what would there be to document before chapter 500+? Kurama's opinion of Naruto was well known until about that point until Kurama sought Naruto out on his own to question his resolve, it was only really recently that Kurama started to question his own opinions and views of Naruto, and then it all came crashing down around his ears when Naruto saved Son.

He realised that Naruto had it right all along. He had proven himself to Kurama, and Kurama acknowledged that. :)

23. Skywalker Imperial Conqueror

Great essay, OP.

I honestly don't have a problem with their friendship, I'm enjoying it.

24. ScaredyKAT Trigger Happy SXJ Fangirl

Kurama was with Naruto all his life and he was even with him from the day he was conceived as well (albeit connected through Kushina). There is bound to be some kind of kinship between the two after 16 years together and they are only just now starting to become friends now. Sudden friendship my arse.

25. Sera red haba?ero

I like their friendship. As long as Kyuubi stays faithful.

26. DraconianMithril Hadou-KishiNinjutsu-Kame Style

Right after Naruto smushed his Hatred Kurama was feeling the emotional shock of actually knowing the Real Naruto. His first reaction was to kill Naruto but after receiving a left hook and some Pure Warm Sunny Chakra for breakfast to replenish his chakra tanks AND actually trying to TnJ Naruto into making him give up on saving everyone it all just backfired and Naruto TnJ'ed Kurama into not underestimating him. Then once Naruto saved Son....well. The rest is History.

27. SaVaGe609 Only Sai Fan

The transition was almost nonexistent. It's awkward to see him joking around with Naruto all of the sudden. I find it hard to believe his brooding personality was completely a product of the way people treated him. Naruto didn't even give him any treats or anything..just words.

28. skins Kurama is a Tsundere

The flashback Kurama has in chapter 569 is proof that words do not mean a thing to a bijuu. He's proved himself to Kurama with his actions, not his words. Naruto saying the things he has was merely a way to enforce his actions, not the other way around.

The transition is subtle, and I think one needs to look closely at the interactions Naruto has had with Kurama closely in order to pick up hints for what's to come. Naruto could not have won Kurama's affection with 'treats'; it's quite likely the mere suggestion of such would offend Kurama greatly. He's not some pet, after all, he's made that very clear.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  29. blacksword Banned

"Bijuus are nothing but slaves"

30. Kenneth

SAVEd whore

Deterministrator Administrator

oh god it's not often that i see someone that i agree with
    well done, champ

31. EraserHead Member

Hey hutman, I wanna do something about your hate too.

32. scerpers Heart of the World, Lord of the Void

He's a demon. He's probably just playing Nardo.

33. Kenneth

SAVEd whore

Deterministrator Administrator

i want to do something about dumb people but my time is limited while their stupidity isn't :(

34. Ryuzaki Moonlight ۷۸٦

It took a while for this happen to be honest, but great essay though :LOS

35. skins Kurama is a Tsundere

To those who see them that way, like Madara.

Thank you :)

Anything is possible. ^^;

36. TH4N4T0S Parasitus Venator

But it feels so abrupt because of the way Kurama's change of heart was presented by the author: The mighty, sinister nine-tailed demon fox was made to speak like a tsundere. I believe it is Kurama's demeanor and facade, not his relationship with Naruto, that suffered an awkward, sudden change.

Perhaps I would have been satisfied with Kurama's newfound friendship with Naruto had it been made similar to the relationship between Light Yagami and Ryuk of Death Note, with the difference being Kurama's sincerity and loyalty.

All the friendship needs is Kurama's silent respect for Naruto. It was not necessary for the author to make the beast look so embarrassed and schoolgirly and childish.