1. Fancy yourself a sleuth, evil mastermind, debating pro, and/or just plain love One Punch Man? If so, sign up for Akihabara Lounge's first Mafia game, themed on One Punch Man.

LINK
  2. Hey you

Yeah you!

Have you always wanted to impress Gordon Ramsey with your culinary skills?

Well you can't...

But you can impress the NF community by joining the Cooking Contest in the Bento Box!

And we promise we won't make you cry like him.
  3. Celebrate our first Xenforo anniversary and join the forum lottery here
  4. Check out "Peerless", by our very own Shrooms!

Kumo Desu Ga, Nani Ka? (I'm a Spider, So What?)

Discussion in 'Akihabara Novel Corner' started by Mizura, May 2, 2016.

1. Mizura Meh Advisor

Description:

Author: Baba Okina
    Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy
    Translator: um... here's the thing. The series was originally speed-translated (somewhat badly) by one translator (translator #1), then another translator (#2) started doing better translations from the beginning again then stopped, and eventually #1 stopped too so #3 picked it up where #1 left off..

So here: (note: there is now a light novel version, but it hasn't been translated yet, so I'm talking about the web novel version)

Chapters 1-77: by Blastron01 (#2)
    http://blastron01.tumblr.com/kumoko-contents

Chapters 78-(not sure what number): by Turb0 Translations (#1)
    http://turb0translation.blogspot.be/p/blog-page.html

The rest: by Raising the Dead (#3)
    http://raisingthedead.ninja/current-j-z/kumo-desu-ga-nani-ka/

Review: As the summary states, our protagonist finds herself reincarnated as a (small, lesser) monster spider after her whole classroom explodes. She is thus forced to survive in what quickly turns out to be a ridiculously hostile dungeon, and is quickly forced into the Eat or Be Eaten mentality as she fights on for dear life (and searches for food that is not disgusting and bitter... which is just about everything, since just about everything is poisonous, acidic or corrosive in the dungeon).

What may sound like a dark premise actually turns out to be quite hilarious and cute. This is because of the main character's antics as she runs around, trying to make sense of her situation and abilities, and confronting other monsters. The MC is quite lively, at one point even going "hey, this isn't so bad. I just have to set up a web and I've got a perfect hikokomori lifestyle!" (didn't last, too bad for her) In fact, later on, she becomes a veritable one(?)-spider comedy group. Did I mention the action? The action is surprisingly good, as the MC faces one life-threatening battle after the next.

Kumoko's antics aside, however, the story actually has a surprisingly good mystery in the background, with half a dozen major clues presented within just a few chapters of starting (heck, even the summary is a clue). Later on, the storyline diverges to show the point of view of other reincarnators and even to future timelines, raising more questions as to who's who, what are they up to and what exactly happened. Sadly, aside from Kumoko, the other characters are outright boring (though their POVs do yield important information). Still, if you feel like being entertained by the antics of a surprisingly cute-sounding monster-spider, placed within a pretty decent mystery, then do check this one out.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  2. God Is extremely merciful for the right price

Does the plot actually distinguish itself from all the other light/web novels with a similar premise? :hm

3. Mizura Meh Advisor

I dunno. By 'premise', do you mean 'MC eventually starts to send her multiple split personalities to pull strings behind the scenes in order to...'
    Spoiler:
    cause as much death and destruction as possible?

Oh yeah, and she is one of the few MCs I know to...
    Spoiler:
    have babies. Lots of them. Truly excellent little spider brats, that is.

I won't say the series has outstanding plot, but there are a number of rather original aspects. The parallel processing, for one, has interesting outcomes. And the story uses both split timelines and split POVs to make things more confusing, and they do get confusing because what's happening is not that straightforward.

4. God Is extremely merciful for the right price

I might give it a read then, that sounds rather interesting :caticon

5. Muk Let's play a game, Ophelia

been like a few months since there was a new chapter :argh

any news :(

6. Muk Let's play a game, Ophelia

http://raisingthedead.ninja/current-j-z/kumo-desu-ga-nani-ka/

7. Mizura Meh Advisor

It's being updated again! :D Still really enjoy it.

I also really enjoy the manga adaptation, the drawings are hilarious, I feel sad just at the thought that Kumoko will change forms.

8. IdioticGamer A Perv

I feel happy to know that there are other readers of this. And I need to catch up on it. This is Gamer + Girl done right... wait...