1. Fancy yourself a sleuth, evil mastermind, debating pro, and/or just plain love One Punch Man? If so, sign up for Akihabara Lounge's first Mafia game, themed on One Punch Man.

LINK
  2. Hey you

Yeah you!

Have you always wanted to impress Gordon Ramsey with your culinary skills?

Well you can't...

But you can impress the NF community by joining the Cooking Contest in the Bento Box!

And we promise we won't make you cry like him.
  3. Attention!
    Have some bad ideas? This is your chance!
    Send them to Xiammes! Maybe a winner will receive something. I don't know. Don't quote me on that.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Discussion in 'Akihabara Library' started by Taleran, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Taleran Back to Nothing

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
    by Hirohiko Araki

Synopsis:

Part 1: Phantom Blood
    Part 2: Battle Tendency
    Part 3: Stardust Crusaders
    Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable
    Part 5: Vento Aureo
    Part 6: Stone Ocean
    Part 7: Steel Ball Run
    Part 8: JoJolion

Genres: Action, Adventure, Mystery, Supernatural, Seinen
    Chapters: ~900 (as of January 2016)
    Release: Monthly (in Ultra Jump)
    Other material:
    -Anime (adapts the first 3 parts, adaptation of part 4 coming Spring 2016)
    -OVA (older, for part 3)
    -Several video games

Old Threads: Part 1 (http://www.narutoforums.com/showthread.php?t=327810)

Sample pages:

2. EndlessStrategy The Wandering Tactician

Hey, does anyone know where I can find part 6 in it's entirety, I'm not coming up with anything.

3. Stroev (ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

I really need to catch up. Not that I'm far behind since they still aren't finished with SBR, but still.

4. Shozan サソリ ∞ λύκος

the guys of Jojo Project (http://shizukajoestar.tumblr.com/)are releasing the last chapters from SBR. At the pace they're going it should take 1 or 2 weeks to have all the chapters!

5. Markness Lord of Obsessed

http://www.citymanga.com/jojos_bizarre_adventure_-_stone_ocean/

I finished all of it a while back. It's easily one of my favorite arcs. It was a breath of fresh air to have more female leads, especially a female JoJo. Jotaro has one badass daughter (Jolyne).

JoJolion has been an interesting read so far. Nice to see some references to Part 4 which is one of my favorite arcs along with 3.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  6. BlueDemon Demon's back in business!

I started reading this some years ago, think I only read the first arc or something. Will give it a go again in the future...!

How many arcs are there now, actually? All completed?

7. Markness Lord of Obsessed

Eight with the latest still in progress. There are also some sidestories involving Araki's alter ego, Rohan Kishibe. Definitely pick it up again when you can. Part 1 and 2 are good but 3 is where the manga really finds its identity and stride. Part 1 and 2 were a little similar to HnK while 3 evolved away from it.
    Not only were the Stands introduced but the sense of adventure really elevated.

8. Wolfgang Grimmer Magnificent Steiner

7th arc is complete but scanlation is not
    8th arc ongoing

9. Shozan サソリ ∞ λύκος

Part 2 is fucking awesome! Most manly of all the Jojo's series!

10. BlueDemon Demon's back in business!

Aw Gawd, an 8th one ongoing? I guess one can barely catch up to it :p (I remember those arc seemed pretty long to me ^^)

11. Fang Titan

There's only one volume of SBR to be scanlated before its done since volume with Funny's final fight is finished. But Part 8 has already fallen behind, 8/9 chapters are out, but we're up to 12 at this point.

12. Markness Lord of Obsessed

1 and 2 are relatively short. Most of the arcs tend to be 17 or so volumes. They are long but they are worth the read. I'd actually read them during exercise to get through them faster, LOL! I also set aside some other manga as well.

13. Fang Titan

Part 4/Diamond is Unbreakable volume 39 v2: http://www.mediafire.com/?r076hv3ox6xy3v3

14. CoolTaff12 Active Member

It would be a tie between part 2 or part 3 if it wasn't for the epic battle between Joestar team and Dio in part 3

15. Badalight JOJO

Part 3 is good, but super over-rated. It takes awhile for the stand fights to really get good, and by the time they do, it's over. I love it, but I would never compare it to part 2 in quality.

But that's just my opinion.

16. Imagine //\\

I've only read part 1 - 2 i loved two. Gonna start on 3 probably later today but 4 sounds really interesting just the whole mafia thing has my interest.

17. EndlessStrategy The Wandering Tactician

Oh my goodness I can not believe people cite part 3 as the series high-point. Every other part tramples all over it, save perhaps part 1.

18. Badalight JOJO

I wouldn't say every part tramples part 3, but yeah I'd place it around where you do. That's even with my slight bias towards it since I grew up playing the dreamcast game. Guess I had my expectations raised too high because of that? Dunno, but I'm sure it didn't help being put immediately after part 2 which is by FAR my favorite part.

It's really hard to rank them, but if you held a gun up to my head I'd probably say.

1.) Part 2
    2.) Part 4
    3.) Part 5
    4.) Part 6
    5.) Part 7
    6.) Part 3
    7.) Part 1

Part 8 is extremely good so far, but only like 4 chapters have been out? Way to soon to even consider it.

19. Koori Active Member

Fixed. IMO Part 7 has turned out the best of all Jojo arcs.

20. Badalight JOJO

We all have opinions, and there are plenty of good and bad things in every part. I could definitely see why you would place 5 so low. It has probably the worst protagonist and antagonist, but in my opinion the side cast more than makes up for it. The fights are also some of the best in this part, with the highlight being the train battle. Not sure why part 6 is so low, even lower than 1. It was a change of pace but it was good. The first half in prison sort of drags on, but the second half is when the turbo boosters get turned on. Jolyne has probably the best character development of any joestar, and the ending is just amazing.

Part 1 isn't bad or anything, but if we are being the honest the only stand out part is Dio. For an 80's manga it's good, but it can't compare to the later parts in my mind.

I have no idea why 3 is so high for you. The stand battles are hardly noteworthy, and the cast while good isn't the best. Jotaro is far from the best joestar, and the side cast gets beat by part 5's. The stands themselves look cool, but the powers arn't that interesting. One punches, one uses fire, one shoots rocks, etc... It has cool moments but super over-rated in my opinion.

What perplexes me the most is when people put part 7 as their favorite. The art in no doubt the greatest here, and the dual protagonists is a cool idea. It has a good villlain and the racing portions are really well done, but it has downsides as well. The fights here arn't drawn as well as in previous parts. Excess blood makes them very messy and confusing at times. The powers are fine, but the fights just don't have the same feel as they did in earlier parts.

What gets me the most though, are character motivations. While they are somewhat clear, they are really shallow. I am still nto sure why Johnny wanted to go after the corpse parts originally. Later down the line he had more incentive because he didn't want them to fall into the wrong hands, but that's not what he thought at first.

What perplexes me even more is that Gyro went on the quest with Johnny. Johnny was supposed to be following Gyro, not the other way around. Why would Gyro compromise his own goals of saving the life of this young boy in order to fulfill Johnny's selfish journey? You can say it was comradre, but they didn't know eachother for very long when the corpse parts were introduced. It just didn't make much sense to me and I think that is a major thing holding part 7 back, I can't get over it.

Just my input to your list, just trying to start up a discussion because I love jojo discussions. I'd love to hear your point of view as well.

21. Basilikos Moving on with life

I've read parts 1-3 and some of part 4. All of it was excellent and an entertaining read IMO.

22. noobthemusical The Master

Johnny wanted the Corpse for the same reason he started the race. Remember his wanted to walk again, and was convinced having the corpse would help.
    Also Gyro realized that they were gonna be involved with the corpse over the normal course of the race, so he basically went "It's probably Magic, that shits bound to be cool" and decided to go for it as like a side-quest. Later he and Johnny went full on Hero and decided to protect it.

23. Badalight JOJO

I don't know. I guess that makes sense, it just wasn't explained very well. I mean I think Giorno was stupid but it was very obvious what his goal was. Also I felt like in part 7 I always had more questions than answers, and some things never got answered. I can't really give any examples at the moment since they were just random quirks I thought up while reading it, but you get my point.

I love every part of jojos, so I am not trashing on part 7 by the way... it's not even my least favorite as I said. I just feel like without some of those glaring flaws it definitely could be one of the best parts but it just didn't do it for me.

High hopes for part 8 though. I see so much potential.

24. EndlessStrategy The Wandering Tactician

1.) Part 2
    2.) Part 4
    3.) Part 7
    4.) Part 5
    5.) Part 6
    6.) Part 3
    7.) Part 1

Part 8 is tentatively between 6th and 7th place. The whole testicle thing sort of wierded me out, and the first fight was meh. The main character's stand is also the least interesting of all protagonists IMO. It has a impersonal sailor motif that I'm not fond of, and it's power is very unintersting. I just dislike the rejection of concepts such as "sight" or "friction" as a premise. It's sort of bland, and it'll be either overpowered or full of plot induced stupidity. Right now for example, why doesn't he reject that girl's ability to stand still, or hear, or something like that to disorient her?

As for my other choices...

The first one is rather dated, and the fights are below average for the series. The ending also seemed unreal, like it had been written by some fanfic author who wanted to tack on a sad ending. Really, it's infuriating to think that that one medicine man rescuing Dio's head resulted in Jonathan's death, the entirety of parts 3 and 6, and the eventual rewriting of the entire universe! Ending aside, it was good, not above average though.

As badalight said, 3 had a myriad of problems. The fights were better than most shonen, but still bad for Jojo's standards. There were a lot of stinkers mixed in with the gems (I especially hated Oingo and Boingo, Judgment and Death). The characters were decent, but the series is also dragged down by the two biggest ongoing flaws of Jojo in general.
    1: The villain is a moron! Dio sends strings of opponents at the main cast 1 at a time, and despite being extremely outnumbered the 1-2 people usually get very close to beating the protagonists. Either give a good reason for sending them 1 at a time, or send them all at once so you don't look like an idiot when you lose.
    2: The characters are unrealistic. This is more prevalent than in any other part. The characters hardly exhibit pain when wounded horrifically. The villains are all 1 dimensional (though that gets better after this part). Kakyoin and Abdul are the strangest part of the mix. Abdul's reason for fighting Dio are never explained, and Kakyoin's are so flimsy that he is painted as virtuous beyond belief for helping the Joestars. Additionally, you think they would stop splitting off into groups of 1 or two to make easy targets for their enemies.

Still, no part of JJBA is actually bad. There are some excellent fights, and Araki's creativity practically leaps off the page.

Part 6 is a step up from part 3. The fights have become very well designed by this point, and the protagonist is interesting. That being said, the rest of the cast is rather standard, and whole Survivor prison arc was pretty bad. I also have decidedly mixed feelings about the villain rendering the efforts of every preceding cast worthless.

Part 5 was consistently excellent. The supporting cast was great, and almost every fight was excellent (save Baby Face, I hate that stand). It also felt more plot driven than most of the other parts.

Part 7 had a very dynamic feel to it. The racing theme gave the story a very good pace and setting. As usual the fights are excellent (extra props to scary monsters and Mr Oyacoma). The last fight really dragged though.

Part 4 is better than part 7, but just barely. The first half sort of meanders, but I never really minded. It introduced the best villain of the series, and every fight with Kira is terrific. Following that, The plot had the best excuse for the episodic nature of the series, as most enemies weren't part of one unified organization and therefore wouldn't have the same goals. The fights are excellent here as well, I especially liked the Boy 2 man and Cheap Trick fights. Coincidentally, those fights star the best character to come out of any part; Rohan Kishibe.

Part 2 is my absolute favorite. For one thing, it has something the other series lack: brevity. As fun as JJBA is, a good story is one with a set beginning middle and end, which part 2 delivered. The main character is also the best of any part, being consistently brilliant and funny. I should actually say that part 2 had the best cast in general. You could not wish for a better enemy than Wham, or a better ally than Caesar. The fights pulled out all the stops, and I can say they're the best of the bunch (though it is a really close contest).

I wish I could state my thoughts better. Failing that, I suppose I'll just end with a bottom line: I love this series.

25. Badalight JOJO

EndlessStrategyGame: Wow, we agree almost completely. I even agree with you on Baby Face being the absolute worst part of Part V (And to be honest, one of my least favorite parts in the entire series). Only think we disagree on is part 7's placement, though mine was pretty low that is a tentative spot. There a lot of great things about part 7 that make me want to put it higher, but I am being held back by lack of explanations. It's very possible it could have been things lost in translation, but I have explained my case on it so far. My favorite parts are the beginning and the end. The middle drags on with a few standout moments.

Though, part 7 still technically isn't finished yet... I mean it's not translated, so I havn't seen the ending. About 4 chapters left IIRC so maybe it'll end on an even higher note. I do feel iffy putting it as low as I did, but at the same time I'm not sure if I can place it above 6 and 5. They are good for different reasons so it becomes pretty hard to rank them. The only things I know for a fact is that part 2 is number 1 and part 4 is number 2, that is a fact. Also the placement for parts 1 and 3 seems solid to me. I might rearrange 5, 6, and 7 on any given day.

Also adding onto one more thing part 3 did wrong, the ass pull powerup star platinum got. I mean it was cool and all and a neat idea that star platinum also knew the ability to time stop, but Dio mentioned it took him months to reach 5 seconds. Jotaro ends up surpassing him in just a few minutes... It was cool but a big deus ex machina. It would have been cool if he was able to exploit a 1 second time stop to beat Dio.

26. EndlessStrategy The Wandering Tactician

While on the topic of Star Platinum, yes, it's timestop was a Deus ex Machina. But don't you just love how it stays relevant? Even though it's overpowered to heck, you can still create fights without it one-shotting the enemy.

27. Badalight JOJO

Even when jojos does asspulls, they generally arn't even that distracting to the story in my mind. StarPlatinum is probably the biggest one in the series, and it's not even that bad. Araki just has a way of making us accept his eccentric writing

28. Judge Fudge Delicious

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOUDdJRvn2Q[/YOUTUBE]

29. Markness Lord of Obsessed

That anime really needs a DVD release. More JoJo is always welcome.

30. Shozan サソリ ∞ λύκος

31. Judge Fudge Delicious

Yes. The movie Araki doesn't want you to ever see

32. Wolfgang Grimmer Magnificent Steiner

also no speedwagon

33. EndlessStrategy The Wandering Tactician

My opinion of part 2 just went down a bit. I was rereading it when I realized that the prophecy that said that the Pillar Men would grow stronger if the Red Stone of Asia was destroyed makes no sense! There is no explanation for why that would occur, nor any reason to consider the prophecy valid. It's just a plot device. Still a great manga though.

34. Shozan サソリ ∞ λύκος

the guys from JojoProject are 3 chapters from the end of SBR! I can't wait :(

Spoiler:
    I think it was kind of an asspull from Araki to change the final villian from Valentine to Diego just like that. The USA President was a great villian! I enjoyed as a villian far more than Pucci!

35. EndlessStrategy The Wandering Tactician

Spoiler:
    Why are all of the Endgame villain abilities so confusing? Dio's was straightforward if you disregard the weird physics of objects in stopped time. But everything beyond that makes my head hurt! I fail to understand the activation trigger for Bites the Dust, King Crimson has the power to negate the "cause" and leave the "effect," but both concepts change depending on one's perspective. I don't understand how Stairway to Heaven reset time, and why Enrico Pucci wanted to kill the Joestars if dead people are reincarnated anyway. Lastly, I don't understand how D4C would allow the Diego from another timeline to go to the main timeline. If it could do that, couldn't it just bring an alternate Valentine instead?

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  36. Badalight JOJO

Let me answer this as best as I can, I'm sure someone can do better though.

Massive spoilers ahead for anyone who hasn't caught up to jojos.

Check the wiki on this one

"Late in the story, his father Yoshihiro Kira's stand creating Arrow pierces Kira's body a second time and grants Killer Queen a tertiary bomb. This bomb is actually a distinct, miniaturized form of Killer Queen, which normally stays with someone who knows Kira's secrets ? most notably Hayato. If someone tries to interrogate that person about Kira, the tertiary bomb will enter their field of vision, get into their eye that way, and induce an explosion. Until Kira finds out who the bomb killed, he lets a brief temporal loop occur to one hour or day earlier. Even if the victim doesn't ask questions this time around, Bite the Dust will still kill them. Only if Kira is confident about who died will he let time flow normally. Still, if he has to protect himself right away (he can't maintain more than one potential bomb at a time), he will dispel the bomb. In all three cases, internal explosions can potentially completely disintegrate the victim. "

It's just a tiny bomb, and the day will repeat until the target is killed. It is to stop Hayato from telling anyone his secret.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. You are right in the concept, so what arn't you understanding? Giorno's Golden Requiem is the opposite of this. For example, if you shoot a gun King Crimson would still allow the bullet hole to exist, but the actual shooting of the fun would not happen. Essentially, that means it is impossible to dodge as the effect is present but not the cause.

This is fairly easy to understand. He sped up time so much that it brought upon the end of the world. However long that would've taken, millions of years or whatever. The fact is, he was speeding up time so fast the earth eventually disintegrated. Eventually, another big bang happened and the earth was reformed exactly how it was, and he sped up time back to the days in the prison before stopping it. It's been awhile since I read part 6 so I forget why he stopped there exactly, but it explained it in the manga.

Did you even read part 7? He brought dozens of alternate valentines to the timeline. Eventually he couldn't anymore because of the infinite rotation. and his eventual death.

37. EndlessStrategy The Wandering Tactician

Quite enlightening. I have read part 7, I suppose I must have overlooked that explanation somehow. As for parts 4 and 6, you've explained it far better than anyone else has, I didn't think Stairway had any power over the new universe for one thing.

As for part 5, I mean that depending on how you look at something, anything could be a cause or an effect. Take the frequent example of a bullet flying through the air as the cause, and it's impact as the effect. Naturally, King Crimson negates the effect, but the effect might be countless things. Maybe the cause is a person shooting the gun, and the effect is the gunpowder igniting to send the bullet flying. Maybe the cause is the bullet existing at high velocity at a certain point, and the effect is it continuing in high velocity forward. It's sort of hard to get, but I'll probably just have to accept it.

38. Badalight JOJO

Yeah, the entire point of part 7 was that Johnny and Gyro kept having to fight new valentines. That's how he kept healing, he would just bring a new valentine into the dimension for Johnny and Gyro to fight. Once he was hit with the infinite rotation, he was unable to move so his power was useless at that point.

This is true... however, you're just confusing yourself. There are multiple causes and effects, you're right... King Crimson has the ability to distinguish that. He's not stopping all causes and keeping all effects, he's just picking and choosing at his leisure.

He didn't choose to stop someone from shooting the gun, or the gunpowder from igniting, but he choose for the action of the bullet flying through to air to not happen which made it unavoidable. Yet, the effect of the bullet (The injury) stayed.

It's okay to be confused though, Araki definitely makes you stretch your brain on some of these powers. It took me FOREVER to grasp Valentine's upgraded stand, and I'm still not sure I have a full understanding on it. I don't think the villain's are the most confusing though. For example, Giorno's Golden Experience was really horribly explained and got more confusing after it got "upgraded". I don't mean golden experience requiem by the wya, I mean when he fought that one baby stand and he was healing himself with cubes, or whatever. God that fight was confusing.

Another one, weather report's snails... yeah I didn't even try on that one.

39. Mali ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ ส็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ ส็็็

Part 2 is probably my favorite part.

40. EndlessStrategy The Wandering Tactician

I understood the flow of the fight with Valentine, I just didn't understand why one of his alternate dimension versions couldn't just send himself over if he could send Diego.

I'm not sure what part 5 fight you're talking about, if it's baby face then I've wiped that from my memory.

Weather Report's ability was an absurd non requiter, but once you get past the nonsense subliminal messaging explanation it's simple enough. The stand creates a rainbow that generates snails. Anyone who looks at the rainbow or touches a snail starts becoming a snail themselves. The snails also breed at an incredible pace. Sure it's bizarre, but that's par for the course with this series.

Ditto.

41. noobthemusical The Master

Send who over, another version of himself? Or to send another Johnny or something hoping for them to explode?

Also I think the best way to understand the KC stand is time skipping.
    For example a bullet is shot at you. And it would take 1 second to hit you and go through your body. He can skip time from anywhere to .5 to 10 seconds. So he skips time 1 second and the bullet already appears behind him. It didn't actually go through his body but it appears in the place where it would have been.

The more complicated part is the fact that he can move/exist in the skipped time. So not only would the bullet "move" to get behind him, while it's moving he could also move.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  42. EndlessStrategy The Wandering Tactician

Yeah, why doesn't one of the Valentines from another timeline bring themselves over with D4C and finish things themselves?

43. Badalight JOJO

1.) Valentines from other timelines don't necessarily have stands.

2.) Valentines from other timelines arn't necessarily looking for the corpse parts.

3.) Valentines from other time-lines don't know the Valentine from the "main" time-line is in danger, so why would they randomly go help him? They arn't omniscient. That's why the real valentine has to go to a different timeline, explain the situation, and then send them there.

44. noobthemusical The Master

Actually it's explained that there is only 1 D4C in the multiverse any other Valentines would have other stands.

The reason that the Main Valentine didn't send more of himself over during the Johnny fight was because D4C was infected by the infinite rotation so that if he transferred his stand to another self they would be killed by the infinite rotation as well.

As for why he didn't just bring himself with another stand and not transfer D4C well by the time he got hit by Johnny the rotation kept pulling him underground, so he couldn't explain the situation without transferring his stand.

45. Judge Fudge Delicious

http://www.mediafire.com/?96inqnuyqbo3tw0

Well, here's the latest scanlated JoJorion chapter. Steel Ball Run is in its last volume of scanlating (By a different group), still waiting on that... but this is nice too.

46. Furious George In the Monkey Business

Been reading JJBA pretty much non-stop. Managed to get through all of Battle Tendency (part 2) in one day. REALLY awesome stuff. :datass

Part 3 if off to an interesting start. I heard that part 2 was the last part of the series to feature the Ripple technique. That... really sucks.

47. EndlessStrategy The Wandering Tactician

Technically the ripple techniques do show up a few times in part 3... just not very often. It's sort of the drawback to the "Only stands can defeat stands" rule.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  48. Shozan サソリ ∞ λύκος

49. Foreva Huntermaniac

The ripple has never been officially shown again since the end of part 3, but in part 7 there're the steel balls, which at the very least produce the same effects as the ripple and therefore can be considered an alternate universe counterpart of it. I personally like the steel balls better since they and their powers together form a very weird concept that I've never seen before whereas the ripple is basically an upgraded version of the overused chi/qi.

50. Furious George In the Monkey Business

Eh, Stands are starting to grow on me, I suppose...

I'm pretty far into Stardust Crusader now (chapter 205). There were and still are a lot of things about this Part of JoJo that I think are far too formulaic so its not as smooth a read as Battle Tendency... but things really begin to pick up once Jotaro's crew gets to Egypt and I'm now seeing why Stardust Crusader is so popular. :nod