1. The NF rules of conduct have been updated in response to the Xenforo upgrade. Please review them here.
  2. Discussion for the forum medals contest is happening here. Please drop in and give your input.

Joe Abercrombie (UK): Creator of The First Law universe - first review for BSC out!

Discussion in 'Reader's Corner' started by Segan, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

After reading his latest work, I felt I should try and bring a new favourite author of mine to the lot of you readers.

X

Joe Abercrombie is an UK fantasy writer and author of The First Law trilogy:

X
    Spoiler:
    "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence." Homer

Logen Ninefingers, infamous barbarian, has finally run out of luck. Caught up in one feud too many, he's on the verge of becoming a dead barbarian, leaving nothing behind but some bad songs, a few dead friends, and a lot of happy enemies.

Nobleman, dashing officer, and paragon of selfishness, Captain Jezal dan Luthar has nothing more dangerous in mind than fleecing his friends as cards and dreaming of glory in the fencing circle. But war is brewing, and on the battlefields of the frozen North they fight by altogether bloodier rules.

Inquisitor Glokta, cripple turned torturer, would like nothing better than to see Jezal come home in a jar. But then Glokta hates everyone: cutting treason out of the Union one confession at a time leaves little room for friendships. His latest trail of corpses may lead him right to the rotten heart of government... if he can stay alive long enough to follow it.

Murderous conspiracies rise to the surface, old scores are ready to be settled, and the line between hero and villain is sharp enough to draw blood. Unpredictable, compelling, wickedly funny, and packed with unforgettable characters, The Blade Itself is fantasy with a real cutting edge.

X
    Spoiler:
    "We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged." Heinrich Heine

Superior Glokta has a problem. How do you defend a city surrounded by enemies and riddled with traitors, when your allies can by no means be trusted, and your predecessor vanished without a trace? It's enough to make a torturer want to run – if he could even walk without a stick.

Northmen have spilled over the border of Angland and are spreading fire and death across the frozen country. Crown Prince Ladisla is poised to drive them back and win undying glory. There is only one problem – he commands the worst-armed, worst-trained, worst-led army in the world.

And Bayaz, the First of the Magi, is leading a party of bold adventurers on a perilous mission through the ruins of the past. The most hated woman in the South, the most feared man in the North, and the most selfish boy in the Union make a strange alliance, but a deadly one. They might even stand a chance of saving mankind from the Eaters. If they didn't hate each other quite so much.

Ancient secrets will be uncovered. Bloody battles will be won and lost. Bitter enemies will be forgiven – but not before they are hanged.

X
    Spoiler:
    "Last Argument of Kings." Inscribed on his cannons by Louis XIV

The end is coming.

Logen Ninefingers might only have one more fight in him – but it's going to be a big one. Battle rages across the North, the King of the Northmen still stands firm, and there's only one man who can stop him. His oldest friend, and his oldest enemy: it's time for the Bloody-Nine to come home.

With too many masters and too little time, Superior Glokta is fighting a different kind of war. A secret struggle in which no-one is safe, and no-one can be trusted. As his days with a sword are far behind him, it's fortunate that he's deadly with his remaining weapons: blackmail, threats, and torture.

Jezal dan Luthar has decided that winning glory is too painful an undertaking, and turned his back on soldering for a simple life with the woman he loves. But love can be painful too – and glory has a nasty habit of creeping up on a man when he least expects it.

The King of the Union lies on his deathbed, the peasants revolt, and the nobles scramble to steal his crown. No-one believes that the shadow of war is about to fall across the heart of the Union. Only the First of the Magi can save the world – but there are risks. There is no risk more terrible, than to break the First Law...

His writing style is superb and quite gripping on the reader. The fighting scenes are also...well, superbly written. I recommend you all to give The Blade Itself a go and see, whether you like it or not.

Quotes from our NF members:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

Quotes from our NF members part 2:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  3. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

Currently, Joe Abercrombie is working on a new book set in The First Law universe, and this time with a female lead character. The title is Best Served Cold and comes out June 2009 in the UK and July 2009 in the US.

Best Served Cold cover
    X

Best Served Cold copy
    Spoiler:

"Revenge is a dish best served cold." Pierre Choderlos de Laclos

Springtime in Styria. And that means war.

There have been nineteen years of blood. The ruthless Grand Duke Orso is locked in a vicious struggle with the squabbling League of Eight, and between them they have bled the land white. While armies march, heads roll and cities burn, behind the scenes bankers, priests and older, darker powers play a deadly game to choose who will be king.

War may be hell but for Monza Murcatto, the Snake of Talins, the most feared and famous mercenary in Duke Orso's employ, it's a damn good way of making money too. Her victories have made her popular - a shade too popular for her employer's taste. Betrayed, thrown down a mountain and left for dead, Murcatto's reward is a broken body and a burning hunger for vengeance. Whatever the cost, seven men must die.

Her allies include Styria's least reliable drunkard, Styria's most treacherous poisoner, a mass-murderer obsessed with numbers and a Northman who just wants to do the right thing. Her enemies number the better half of the nation. And that's all before the most dangerous man in the world is dispatched to hunt her down and finish the job Duke Orso started...

Springtime in Styria. And that means revenge.

Since it will be a hardcover, the cover spans the length of the whole front and back.
    Spoiler:
    X
    It looks friggin' awesome :awesome

There's even a map for this one, as you can see from the background of the cover. X

Update 12th February 2009: US cover of Best Served Cold
    Spoiler:
    X

Update 27th February 2009: X

For further information, visit his homepage. He updates his blog regularly: X

Sounds like a plan. I heard you got plenty of books never read lying around, don't you?

Would be a shame, if you did the same with The Blade Itself.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  4. Lord Yu Banned

It's not that bad really. I just buy much faster than I read. My store also has Before They are Hanged as well.

5. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

That's cool.

I wasn't even halfway through the first one when I realized I would buy the rest of the books, no matter what. Hopefully the same will happen to you. :grin

6. Garfield ​⁠​

I recently saw hat my school library had gotten this so finally my wait is over :D

(Yeah, no money no buying)

7. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

What, this even got into a school library?

8. The Bloody Nine Kingslayer

I've been pimping this ever since i got here and as you can see from my name im a fan!

I would say that the first book is easily the weakest of the three and its not that much better then decent. So bare that in mind. If you don't like the second book though then its probably not for you.

9. Lord Yu Banned

Way to kill my excitement. This better not turn into another Malazan.:pek

10. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

In relation to the whole trilogy, the first isn't the strongest, but still damn rock-solid.

11. Lord Yu Banned

Probably gonna read it tomorrow. I'm about to finish Dune.(Fucking love that book)

12. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

I updated the first post. Now we have a banner instead of a simple link to Abercrombie's site. :LOS

13. Lord Yu Banned

I read the prologue and the first chapter. His style is really engrossing. I can tell I'm going to enjoy this book.

14. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

Glad you're enjoying this. Let's spread the word!

15. Dream Brother Active Member

I'm afraid of that too.

Only one way to find out, though -- the next time I see it in the store, I'll pick it up.

16. Lord Yu Banned

Thankfully my fears were unfounded. His style reminds me of GRRM.

17. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

Bloody-Nine was a bit careless in posting what he did, because he saw it from a standpoint of the whole trilogy, I suppose.

But every book in itself is hard to put away once you start reading. At least it had that effect on me.

18. Lord Yu Banned

From the beautiful readability I'm guessing this is like gold vs platinum.

19. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

^^

Yes, something like that.

20. The Bloody Nine Kingslayer

Exactly. Segan was right i was a bit careless. What i meant was the first (at least in my opinion) gets a 7.5/10 the second gets a 9/10 and the last one gets a flawless 10.

Its far far far away from Malazan. The books get obviously better as the series goes along and the characterisation, plot and pacing are miles better. Abercrombie does battles even better too.

21. Crimson Dragoon Kaiser

Is the first book really integral to the trilogy?

Because I found only two of them and they happened to be the second and third ones.

22. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

Speaking of which, I was surfing through Abercrombie's homepage and I came across the pictures you got as your avatar.

Black Dow does look his part, there.

Very integral. It's not a trilogy for no reason.

23. The Bloody Nine Kingslayer

:rofl:rofl:rofl

Actually the artist seems to think its Logen. Though Abercrombie says it looks a lot more like what he imagined Three Tree's to look like; apparently the face just isn't scarred enough.

I got it from X by the way.

24. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

How weird. Abercrombie linked to this site: X

25. Lord Yu Banned

Welp I got 8 bucks in my wallet. The next book should be $6.98. I guess I know where I'm blowing my money.

26. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

You better do :LOS

27. Lord Yu Banned

I probably sound like a slobbering fool. But the more I read the more I like. The dialogue has bite, the characters flesh, and the fight scenes are gripping. Though some things are a tad predictable.(I'm guessing these are intentional though. I'm still pretty early in the book.) Thanks for the recc.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  28. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

Perfect. Now check my first post to find your own quote. :LOS

29. Lord Yu Banned

Finished the first book. It had this feeling of a really long prologue. It was damn good of course but...Perhaps that's what first books are for anyway. The last fight scenes were fucking epic. So brutally badass. Some of the best action scenes I ever read.

30. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

All right, then go on and read Before They Are Hanged.

31. Lord Yu Banned

Already read the first chapter. Can't make a judgment yet, but with the way things were at the end of The Blade Itself. I'm expecting epic beyond epic.

32. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

Oh, you will love it.

33. Lord Yu Banned

Off to a good start it is.

34. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

Can't have this drowned into the Literature nirvana. Read the first post for info and get the books already *shouting to all who might listen*

:pek

35. Yulwei Afrodisiac

I've got questions which I hope will spark some discussion about the end of LAOK

Spoiler:
    1. Am I to assume that BlackDow is now King of the Northman and what does this mean for Dogman
    2. Has Ferro been powered up the same way as Tolomei was and what do people think of her chances of deal with Uthman and Khalul

36. Lord Yu Banned

I don't even have that book yet.

37. Yulwei Afrodisiac

Mores the pity

38. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

Spoiler:
    1. Nah, Black Dow's a lone wolf. He just didn't want a worse king than Bethod.
    2. Did Tolomei even have demonblood? Either way, Ferro certainly got a powerup, she fucking squatted an Eater like it was nothing. Uthman might be in her reach, if she's acting smart, but Khalul is completely different. He's a magus like Bayaz.

It's a closed trilogy and as far as I understand, Abercrombie has no plans of continuing this particular story. Though, there's a chance that some main characters from the trilogy will re-appear in later books.
    Some minor characters are already going to be in the next book Best Served Cold.

39. The Bloody Nine Kingslayer

Major spoilers for book three.

Spoiler:
    I think so. Dow is an evil fucker but he would make a far better King then Logen or Bethod would, i think he and the rest of the north just want a break from war, if only for a little while. Either way - if Logen lives then Dow won't be king of anything for very long.

I think she has and like segan said - while Uthman would be no problem Khalul is on the same level as Bayaz and that's just a level above.

Joe said in X thread, that Best Served Cold will feature Shivers & Costa.

40. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

Spoiler:
    And Vitari will be featured in Best Served Cold as well.

41. Yulwei Afrodisiac

Spoiler:
    I think we should take into account the fact that the Eater she beat had just recieved a major ass kicking from a Seed boosted Bayaz. Fact is he didn't bother using the art against Ferro which we know he was capable of

42. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

Spoiler:
    But the Eater probably still had inhuman strength when facing Ferro. We are only talking about a physical upgrade here.

43. Yulwei Afrodisiac

Spoiler:
    Going by the fact that she shares several traits with Tolomei there's no reason to assume she can't use the Art or take faces but I don't see Ferro being particularly inclined to do either of these things. Still considering that all of Bayaz's spells failed to even phase Tolomei and he ended up having to rely on the Divider to do her any real damage her power up is considerable. I assume any of the Master Maker's works would do as Tolomei seemed hesitant to chance Yulwei's web of spinning swords

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  44. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

Hmm...I gotta reread those fights again. I don't remember too much after having read several other books since then.

45. Yulwei Afrodisiac

Spoiler:
    If my recollection is correct here's what happened[ not in this order]:
    - Tolomei as Quai requests the Seed from Ferro
    - Bayaz uses some spell to crush her and fling her across the room. She's unfazed
    - Later he sets her alight and she's fine except for being naked and hairless
    - Ferro punches her twice and breaks both her hands in the attempt
    - Yulwei comes up from collecting the swords and levitates them around himself in a spinning disc which prevents Tolomei from nearing him
    - Bayaz uses the Divider and cuts off Tolomei's arm
    - Ferro flees and Bayaz brings some masonry crushing on top of Tolomei and Yulwei trapping both [temporarily or otherwise]. He then locks the tower and leaves

46. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

Time for an update!
    Spoiler:
    X

Since it will be a hardcover, the cover spans the length of the whole front and back.
    Spoiler:
    X
    It looks friggin' awesome :awesome

Check out his X. He's updating his site regularly.

47. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

Joe also went through the efforts to get a really cool map for his newest book.

Map of Styria (beware, huge and high-resolution image)
    Spoiler:
    X

48. Lord Yu Banned

So we get a map this time.

49. Cardboard Tube Knight Heads or Tails?

I like the little tagline taken from Homer, I might check it out if this semester ever ends...

50. Segan 100th Dan Brawler

Another update. This time, the title got a shining makeover:

Spoiler:
    X