1. The Konoha Kennel is back! As a subsection to the Chatterbox, discuss your favorite fauna-related topics at a fun and laid-back pace. From animals to zoos, it's your one-stop destination for critter lovers!

Inquiring about a laptop's specs, and whether it's good enough for gaming

Discussion in 'Tech Hub' started by Death-kun, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Death-kun Active Member

Hey all, I just need some insightful opinions. I already have the parts for a gaming PC (that I still need to assemble after having to RMA a faulty motherboard), but I've been looking into getting a new laptop as well, as the $300 netbook I'm using right now is beginning to not be enough for me anymore. I just wanted to know if the laptop I'm about to show you is good enough for gaming (it doesn't need to be amazing omg gaming, I have the PC for that) as well as any day-to-day things a nerdy college student could ever need it for. I was looking at this laptop here (this isn't advertising, just fyi):

X

Here's the detailed specs if you don't feel like looking at the link:

Detailed Specifications:
    -- XPS 15z
    -- 8 Cell Battery
    -- Certified Refurbished
    -- DataSafe Online Backup Software
    -- Dell Support Center 64 Bit 2.0
    -- Wave Systems Software
    -- 15.6 inch FHD (1080P) WLED Display
    -- 750 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
    -- Internal Backlit Keyboard - English
    -- Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 and Bluetooth 3.0
    -- Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Operating System DVD
    -- Trusted ID,IDSafe, 12 Month Subscription
    -- Microsoft Office Starter
    -- NVIDIA GeForce GT525M 2GB graphics with Optimus
    -- 90W AC Adapter
    -- 125V Power Cord
    -- 8X DVD +/- RW Drive
    -- Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Operating System DVD
    -- Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
    -- 8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
    -- Processor: Intel Core i7-2640M 2nd generation Processor (2.80 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.50 GHz)
    -- Image Restore Software

2. TheWorldForgotten Member

That is a rather good offer. The GT 525M isn't super stellar when it comes to gaming, but sure it'll drag most titles on medium at least. A year old ones on high. The advantages to that PC is that it has inherited the original XPS 15's superb display and almost as great speakers too. As a fashionable entertainment PC, it's unrivaled. :)

3. Death-kun Active Member

Thanks for the insight! Like I said, I don't need something super powerful to trudge through 2012 games on high settings. I just need an upgrade... badly. :lmao I just want a laptop that I can multitask with, do schoolwork with AND game with when I don't feel like firing up the PC or if I'm away from the PC.

4. Sanity Check away fighting dragons

Look for graphics card reviews that list fps numbers(near the bottom):

X

As long as the CPU is relatively modern, the graphics card is the bottleneck in terms of what your laptop/desktop will be able to achieve game-wise.

:maybe

5. Eight 8

That video card looks pretty weak for trying to power any game on a 1080p resolution. if you can find anything that has a 540m at least, you should be better off, but the CPU looks good enough, and that's more than enough RAM.