1. The NF rules of conduct have been updated in response to the Xenforo upgrade. Please review them here.
  2. Please vote in the following contest threads: AOTW MIRROR, SOTW MIRROR, PSOTW MIRROR
  3. Discussion for the forum medals contest is happening here. Please drop in and give your input.

How did Obito survive amaterasu?

Discussion in 'Konoha Library' started by Ninja Genius, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Ninja Genius Strong Survive, The Weak Die

Ok we all know the scene. Itachi of course thinks ahead and some how plants amaterasu in Sasuke eyes. it triggers and engulfs obito. obito survives and calls itachi a failure. but why is itachi a failure..how did he fail. now that we know how obito jutsu works and its no longer a mystery, i want to know why. amaterasu hit him and covered hus whole body. it stays on the person no matter what and doesnt burn out for awhile. obito jutsu only moves his body to another realm. so his amaterasu burning body shouldve be teleportes away but in no way should it removed the flames. so hiw did he survive?

btw plz forgive spelling punctuation etc. this was done on my phone. k thnx bye

2. Doctor Lamperouge The World Smith

He probably just phased through the flames.

That doesn't make any sense.

The flames were already on him, so how could he phase through them. Do his clothes phase through him when he goes intangible?

It was obviously Izanagi.

I really don't think it was Izanagi. There's really no proof that it was used.

Maybe he warped the flames into his dimension.

It doesn't have to be explicitly shown to be Izanagi. I believe the consensus here (besides JuubiSage and you) is that Izanagi was the most likely option. Sorry if you can't accept that...

3. Vice Redeemed

Because Amaterasu has shit feats.

4. PikaCheeka wants to believe

Izanagi?

I thought that was sort of settled.

5. Dragonus Nesha Le Rouquin Super Moderator

The most popular theory is Izanagi. It also explains why Kishi kept Obito's face covered with the mask.

6. Rain Banned

What The Fuck :distracted

7. Coldhands A Thousand Eyes, and One

I think he just warped the flames into boxland, makes the most sense to me. To use Izanagi he would have needed to activate it earlier, which he didn't have time to do since Amaterasu was a total surprise.

8. Senju Leader S/T Ninjustu>All

He probably just made his body intangible letting the flames slide off him.

There is no indication that he used Izangi, sasuke would have noticed something if Obito was missing an eye due to the technique. Kishi would have let us know if he used Izangi. He did every other time it was used

9. SubtleObscurantist Crazy Fool

Wtf? Why are you arguing with yourself, Rikudo?

Anyway, it was Izanagi. If he had used Kamui, it wouldn't explain how he separated himself from the flames. They were clearly attached to him and it wouldn't explain the screaming, groaning, and then silence. Furthermore, he said that whatever he did was a secret from Itachi, and I do not believe that Kamui, which he uses freely and openly in front of everyone he crosses paths with, is a secret.

On the other hand, that he possessed Hasharima's DNA very much was a secret. Kishi kept the the method a secret even from the readers, so Izanagi makes infinitely more sense than Kamui. Kishi also made Obito's mask fall off, which parallels Obito taking half of his own mask off to reveal Izanagi against Konan.

And the notion that Sasuke could have noticed is silly since he couldn't see through Izanagi later and he can't tell if the right eye is missing because of the mask. Obito clearly used Izanagi the moment after Amaterasu hit him, before it started burning him, and then replaced the eye later with one of his many stored Sharingans.

10. Doctor Lamperouge The World Smith

Rikudou: Sorry, we're indecisive.

Hiraishin: Minato-sama soloes this shit. :yondaime

813: See what I have to deal with. :notrust

11. AvengeRpro :blinditachi

obito has like 400 uchiha eyes so just use one

12. Aeiou Pumping Lemma

Agree.

When was the claim ever made that once he is touched, he can no longer phase? I'm pretty sure he was taken by surprise by that Amaterasu, and later became intangible to avoid it while absorbing it to his dimension. Using Izanagi is a bit absurd, you use that technique when you're about to die. Amaterasu doesn't kill you within seconds. As as JuubiSage said, the technique wasn't prepared.

13. Addy itachi is everywhere!!

he kamuid it to the other dimension.

14. Hiko Seijurou The Scarlet

It was likely Kamui. Itachi probably knew Obito had Izanagi (especially if he thought he was Madara, which is BS imo) and there would be no time to set it off.

Or Kishi screwed up.

15. Ascend New Member

I don't know, it wasn't Izanagi cause we never saw him do the hand seals to activate it.

16. egressmadara Wanderin' About

-Extingusihed it with his own MS... somehow
    -Warped it away and regenerated some of the damage

17. ShinAkuma Fanboy Destroyer

He warped away the flames. While his ability to travel and phase was not a secret the fact that he is connected to another dimension is/was.

18. iJutsu Active Member

If it had hit him in the eye, it would've been over. It didn't, so all he had to do was phase it away.

19. Olivia Active Member

There was no reason for the mask to fall to the ground if it were not izanagi. As we know the eye needs to be exposed to light for izanagi to work, as shown when Danzo unveils his Sharingarm and when Obito breaks the top portion of his mask against Konan.

If something is touching him (a weapen he's using, his clothes, etc) it turns 'intangible' with him, so most likely using Kamui would only make the amateratsu burn him in the other dimension. With his mask already off he'd be able to easily cast izanagi with his other eye, then pick up his mask and cover his face to be safe once again.

20. Naruto Fighto Active Member

He could have survived number of ways - warp the flames to another dimension, detach a body part that was hit if that part is made of zetsu, use izanagi. I'd say he was probably hit in the part of the body made out of zetsu so he just replaced/regrew that part.
    Because even if he used kamui on the flames, it would be after he is hit and his body would be full of burns. He seemed fine the moment he reappeared. Or it was izanagi.

Either way that was not Itachi's real trap, Itachi's real trap was Sasuke since Sasuke would join Naruto to fight Tobi. Itachi might have other contingency plans as well.

21. Closet Pervert Legendary Pervert

THis man speaks the truth.:quite
    X I think being burned alive is a pretty good reason to drop stuff you don't really need. Or maybe Tobi was like, hey maybe i should hold this mask in front of my Izanagi eye forever even though i was just about to remove it, oh shit wait i need more light for Izanagi so i guess i'll just drop this mask.

22. Emo_Princess Oh well

He sacrificed his balls then somehow survived.

23. MYJC Cunning Linguist

Seems pretty obvious that he used Izanagi. It's why he had to take his mask off.

That huge collection of Sharingans isn't just for show.

24. PDQ Meta-Debater

Actually he didn't get engulfed completely, just his right side. So he likely disconnected the Zetsu-like part that Madara attached and regrew it like he always does.

25. ch1p likes the kitteh

Izanagi.

As if Itachi wouldn't know Tobi could warp Amaterasu away easily, it was not as if his powers were a secret from the Akatsuki.

26. SubtleObscurantist Crazy Fool

He wasn't completely engulfed at first but the fire was spreading and based on the screams and groans it continued to do so. And he never regrew anything that fast and it wouldn't restore his clothes.

27. Kaiser Well-Known Member

He simply warped the flames. I don't see why it's impossible especially after we've already seen him able to warp himself even when Shino's bugs were sucking his chakra. If he was able to do that at that moment, he can do the same with amaterasu

28. Oga Tatsumi Retired

It can't be Kamui because Itachi already knew Obito's Ability; Kamui back then prior to Uchiha Massacre.

Furthermore, Obito was Itachi's master.

it can't be Izanagi too; it doesn't need Senju DNA. I assume Itachi thought "Uchiha Madara"(The Ultimate Uchiha) knew of Izanagi and Izanami, Unless he thought Madara was so weak(pathetic shell of his former self) that he couldn't use Izanagi or Izanami.

What secret Obito keep from Itachi? that he wasn't Madara(pathetic shell of his former self) or is still a mystery.

Unless that's a mistranslation.

29. PureWIN Mr. Prince

Either Kamui or Izanagi.

Itachi was a failure, because it failed to kill him.

30. -Azula- ~

kamui

he warped the flames

31. SubtleObscurantist Crazy Fool

Izanagi is a derivative of Banbutsu Sozo that brings manipulates form and life, and absolutely requires Senju DNA. That has never been contradicted. That other Uchihas used it simply means that they stole Senju DNA as Madara or Danzo did or they interbred with Senju (and the increasing bond between the Senju and Uchiha is what sent Madara over the edge to begin with).

And the secret Obito referred to was a secret relevant to how he survived. The fact he wasn't Madara was completely irrelevant in context.

32. Oga Tatsumi Retired

I will just here BlinkST explanation of why Izanagi doesn't need Senju DNA.

Spoiler:

Obito's secret: If it's not Kamui and Izanagi then what it is?

33. Doctor Lamperouge The World Smith

Hiraishin:Obito's most secretive technique...Obtito Mode: Killer of Mansali no Jutsu!!! :zaru

34. SubtleObscurantist Crazy Fool

blinkST's reasoning is wrong, even if we accept the translation that says a few seconds rather than the more common one I have found which says a brief instant (which could be defined any number of ways). For starters, it neglects the fact that Obito clearly states that Izanagi is a derivative of Banbutsu Sozo. And that makes sense. Izanagi has nothing in common with mere genjutsu. It literally allows the caster to erase their form and recreate it while transferring their life from one to another. That is Omyouton.

However, Obito doesn't use just any Senju DNA and nor does Danzo. They used Hasharima's DNA, which is the uber powerful superior Senju DNA that no other Senju even approaches as much. His more powerful chakra could easily extend the length as much as it could shorten Kotoamatsukami's cooldown from ten years to a couple hours.

And blinkST's reasoning goes even more askew when he suggests that Danzo lost Hasharima's DNA. Yes, he lost most of it, but we still see Mokuton extending from the arm he lost, which means he still has a small portion of that power. And then just boggles the mind when he suggests that Sasuke wondering how he and Itachi might use Izanagi implies that it could be done. Sasuke hasn't the faintest clue how Izanagi is performed or what it's prerequisites. He merely knows what he learned about fighting the jutsu by working out the patterns against Danzo.

And then he works in the convolution about Obito meaning that only his Izanagi was the true Izanagi because he used Senju DNA. Well he and Danzo, the person whose Izanagi he said was incomplete, both wield Hasharima's DNA.

No, blinkST's interpretation doesn't hold water.

35. Vergil642 Nikushimi's Successor

What that guy said.

He couldn't Kamui that shit off him because he was already on fire. He phases through stuff by temporarily putting pieces of himself into the other dimension and is therefore simply not there when an attack hits him.

Amaterasu was on him. Putting the part of his body that was on fire would just put Amaterasu in said other dimension too.

And the idea Itachi didn't know about Kamui, even if he didn't know it's name, when that is all Obito ever uses is ridiculous.

36. Bontakun Maple Royal Guard

I am going with the simplest explanation, Kamui.
    We don't know that he is able to use Izanagi, and that he had an extra sharingan behind that mask.

Izanagi is a strong argument though because he has tanks full of sharingans stored up. He could also use a scroll of fire sealing like Jiraiya.

But it's impossible to be sure, so the simplest explanation is the most likely. Kamui.

37. Darth

This would have been plausible had it not already been confirmed that Itachi already had knowledge of Izanagi. Taking that into consideration, he may have been aiming to at least cost Obito an eye which would have weakened him substantially.

It also seems plausible that Itachi knew that Obito wasn't the real Uchiha Madara. However, if he did believe that Obito really was Madara, there would have been no reason to doubt that Itachi believed that Madara knew both Izanagi and Izanami.

Honestly, he should have just solo'd Obito with a suprise Totsuga and became the real final villain. Would have made this manga a lot less irritating. ;33

38. Lord Valgaav My fries

Most sensible answer is that he Kamui'd it.

39. Hokage Active Member

Kamui would have only taken the amaterasu flames to Obito's dimension which would have solved nothing. Izanagi is the only technique we know that Obito could have used against Amaterasu.

40. Lord Valgaav My fries

If he used it then, he couldnt have used it again against Konan.

Warping something is different from when he phases. When he phases through something hes just replacing part of or his entire body with an astral projection while his real body is in the pocket dimension. While with warping his real body can still be in the physical world, but he can just suck things in there. Like a vacuum.

41. Hokage Active Member

Why not? Obito had a huge stock of Uchiha eyes?

Itachi had all the time in the world to study how Obito's T/S jutsu work. The guy couldn't stop using it. Its plausable to think that Itachi had planned his attack basing on that knowledge. What he may not have known is that Obito could use Izanagi. Its a prohibited jutsu whom very few people knew how to use as the price of it is very high.

I think that Itachi planned to kill or (worst case scenario) at least cripple Obito by eliminating his best eye. He didn't knew that Obito had a storage of Uchiha eyes.

42. Tengu Kiuuby-chan

Izanagi, it was established a while ago.

43. Mephissto Active Member

Maybe he just dressed. As seen when Sasuke amaterasu'd the Samurai, all it took to get rid of Amaterasu was removing their armor.

44. Ablaze Karasu

It CANNOT have been izanagi. In order for Tobi to use izanagi he would have to be aware of what was about to happen for him to activate this jutsu. However going by his reaction he didn't see amaterasu coming.

Izanagi only allows the user to evade any damage during the duration of the technique and NOT before/after the technique.

What people saying izanagi are basically saying that if an injury was sustained BEFORE izanagi and the user uses izanagi, after the technique the user of izanagi would be free of the injury they received before izanagi and that is wrong.

The only way to evade damage with izanagi is to use it before and not after you've sustained injury.

Anyway the DB entry hints to it being kamui or that is the logical answer. Either that or another masterful MS user can put it out.

Spoiler:
    X

45. Darth

Welp, that second image pretty much proves it wasn't Izanagi, and that he did indeed Kamui the flames off of his body.

Kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

46. sleepwizard New Member

Well I throw a new possible answer to the question how tobi survive amaterasu. Sasuke have the ability to use 'Blaze release'. An advanced chakra nature where the user can control the flames (amaterasu). Maybe tobi has that ability too... it can explain how he survived amaterasu by controlling it using the Blaze release.

Source 'Blaze Release': X

1) Izanagi
    Technic must be prepared before the user can use it (demonstrated in the fight, Danzo vs Sasuke). It is a high class genjutsu used in near-death situations.

2) Teleportation
    The technic can be used too get rid of the cloth's (part) that are caught by amaterasu but because it stated that amaterasu are the most powerfull flames (flames from hell), clothes are burned away in less then one second. I don't think that tobi is that fast.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  47. Escargon Madz

Didnt he burn for real? He fell back burned up and screamed. Then he came back to put his mask on.

Izanagi i guess. Tho it wouldnt make any sense i dont think he were ready to get hit by those flames. Izanagi cant warp time now can it.

48. JPongo It's all about the Namikazes

I think it was the zetsu mask that burned.

The zetsu mask then reformed again before Obito went back to Sasuke.

If not, then Izanagi although that was a pretty quick eye replacement.

49. DonutKid Well-Known Member

phase his arm off. and then a new zetsu suit.

50. CM Pope The Holy Father

Izanagi.

This was answered ages ago.