1. The NF rules of conduct have been updated in response to the Xenforo upgrade. Please review them here.
  2. Please discuss and vote on the fate of the reputation system here.
  3. The forum medals contest is being extended for another month. Check this thread for more information.

How could Oro prepare Minato as an edo?

Discussion in 'Konoha Library' started by yellovvJack, Feb 15, 2013.

1. yellovvJack Member

Kabuto showed us how edo tensei works. You need a living sacrifice, the dna of the other person and then do the seals. After that is done, the sacrifice becomes the host of the other peson's soul. When that is done the edo tensei body gets put into a coffin.

We know the third coffin Orochimaru summoned in part 1 was Minato, but how did he even get as far as getting to the part of the ritual where you put the edo in the coffin, when Minato's soul was trapped in the Death God?

2. LostInLogicError Member

Indeed. During part I it was actually Sarutobi who stopped the coffin (apparenly Minato was summonable back then, judging by Orochimaru's reaction and all), only later Kishimoto retconned it because he needed an excuse for Kabuto not making use of previous Hokages and soloing the whole Alliance, I suppose. Too bad Kishimoto couldn't be bothered to make the logistics behind the jutsu fit with his recent retcon... but that's Kishi for you.

3. Chibason Sofa King Fresh

All we can say is that Oro apparently believed it would work until he tried to summon it on the battlefield, so he made a mistake. His preparation at that time may have been different than what we saw in later uses of the jutsu, who knows...it doesn't really matter, I wouldn't dwell on it, OP

4. IchLiebe Da Sage

Maybe because part of him was still in this world in Naruto. Only thing I can think of.

5. Yuna The Legendary Anti-Sakuratard

Just because Sarutobi thought he'd stopped the coffin, it doesn't mean that he did. Why the fuck would there be an anti-Edo Tensei technique that magically stops coffins from rising out of the ground and why would Hiruzen know it?

Who knows what really happened? We can fanwank it, though. Maybe Orochimaru initiating Edo Tensei and then immediately put the Edos into coffins because he was afraid he wouldn't be able to control them all long enough to place the Fuda inside their heads without them just blitzkrieging him to death, so that he'd be at full stamina when he Fuda'd them.

Maybe Orochimaru's version summoned them inside of coffins. He placed the victims + DNA inside of coffins and then let it rip. Who knows.

6. BroKage Active Member

Maybe Oro's old ET had vastly different mechanics from Kabuto's improved version and the version Oro used after gaining Kabuto's knowledge.

Or maybe you can summon the bodies of people trapped in the Death God, but can't actually use them for anything.

:zaru

7. Hussain .

The coffin didn't appear in the manga as far as I know. @@

8. Cromer Active Member

Simples. Kabuto lacked Minato DNA, Orochimaru does not. Simples

9. LostInLogicError Member

And why wouldn't he? If Madara who has no business knowing about Edo Tensei's mechanics unreastically knows the exact seals necessary to break the contract with the caster, why wouldn't the God of Shinobi and a student of technique's creator of all people be allowed to know about how to stop the summoning? Whether he succeeded or not, still I choose to believe he was competent enough to assess the situation properly. Just my opinion though, no need to go balistic about this.

10. egressmadara Wanderin' About

He retrived the souls given that he was connected to the Shiki Fujin at that point.

11. Big Bad Wolf El Jefe De Mundo

Oro obviously knew where the Hokage were buried and he apparently knows of every weak spot in Konoha's security, not that it was all that great to begin with. Him getting Minato's DNA were about as surprising as him being able to get Hashirama's.

12. Ninian `

I always thought that when Orochimaru fought Hiruzen, that was his time actually using Edo Tensei; otherwise...

13. Skywalker Imperial Conqueror

I just chalk it up as one of those things that isn't supposed to make sense.

14. Snowfairy Newly crowned MILF

As far as I remember, the anime team took the liberty to write on the coffin that it was the fourth hokage, but the manga did no such thing. The third coffin doesn't appear at all.

X

"The third one didnt work it seems... Oh well.." I assume that's oro talking because the third hokage says "I was able to stop the third one" unless there is a better translation than manga panda.

Either it didn't work, or the third hokage stops it.

Either way it wasnt shown officially to be Minato. We assume it was, but strange for him to attempt knowing he was in the death god.

Who knows, he coulda been busting out Madara from the begining lol manga never shows for sure.

15. Orga777 I LIVE... FOR THE FOURTH TIME!

Question. When did it ever say in the manga or anime that it was Minato in that coffin? That makes no sense since Minato was eaten by the Death God. No summon possible at that time. As time went on and we see another mysterious coffin summoned by Kabuto in front of Tobi, what was inside? It was Madara in Kabuto's coffin. I have a feeling that it was Madara in that third coffin used by Orochimaru as well. Same coffin in general I bet.

16. CM Pope The Holy Father

The mechanics of the Edo Tensei hadn't been developed or explained yet :zaru

17. Keile You A Scientist?

Perhaps Oro swiped a sample of Minato's DNA while the latter was alive for later nefarious purposes. It's entirely possible.

18. Thunder Disciple of Atlantic Storm

We found out later that it was indeed Minato in the third coffin: [X]. Orochimaru wasn't aware of Shiki Fūjin's existence back then, so he wouldn't expect the summoning to fail: [X].

Orochimaru's entire purpose behind resurrecting the Hokage was to emotionally torture Hiruzen. Bringing back Madara wouldn't have accomplished that.

19. wibisana still newbie

your pint is Oro should have know Minato edo wouldn't work. yes oro apparently using edo tensei on the spot.
    that is the best explanation and less plot hole(ish)

20. Orga777 I LIVE... FOR THE FOURTH TIME!

Okay, I did forget that part. Point conceded. That just makes even less sense, though! Orochimaru should have been able to know the limits of Edo Tensei and that he can't use it on a sealed soul. Ugh. It makes more sense the other way... x_x

21. Magician Member