1. The NF rules of conduct have been updated in response to the Xenforo upgrade. Please review them here.
  2. We're discussing a possible merge of the Naruto and One Piece avenues into the Akihabara subforum.
    Go here for further info . Feel free to chime in and vote.
  3. Please vote in the cooking contest here!
  4. The signature rules have changed. Please, check them in this thread!
  5. CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD
    We're not yet aware of the means, but someone is taking over several accounts.
    Change your password as soon as possible, and use this to see how secure it is.
  6. Hey folks!

This week, there's a Flash Fiction reboot that you should participate in: here

Don't miss it.
  7. Please discuss and vote on the fate of the reputation system here.

HoU Section Rules & User Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'House of Uzumaki' started by Rinoa, Dec 29, 2012.

1. ch1p likes the kitteh

I don't care about the dupes. I mentioned in the thread that it can be fixed since there were complaints.

2. Kenneth

FEED.

☠✌☹✋✞☜ Administrator

I don't get it. The posts that were deleted were either starting a debate, spam, or non-contributive banter better posted in a convo thread.

And while I said that it would be best to simply vote, say why you voted and get out, I also mentioned that I wasn't against people talking about the actual topic, popularity in countries, on the web, and real life.

But once again, I'm being accused of being way too cautious. You forget where you are. You are in a section that has explosions of flaming when one person shits on a pairing they don't like. You're in a section that is notorious for its pairing debates that often devolve into two people beating one another.

I have no intention of letting that happen.

If I stand by idly and watch it go to shit then I'm lazy, if I don't then I'm being too preemptive.
    Make up your mind. I have.

I've explained it all five times at this stage, and you continue to search for reasons to complain. I won't bother explaining this another time after I post this.

Two people had posted arguments as to why they believed x is better than y. I deleted those posts. Your warning, though appreciated, became meaningless and I preferred having those posts gone, even in quoted form. Snipping them out of your posts would only have kept two reaction images in there. That would have been retarded, so I deleted your post too. I applied a general deletion message for all of the posts. A total of zero fucks should have been given. You chose to give too many fucks.

You then talk about "what is quality in a pairing" in response to someone that brought quality up (a post that was also deleted), and I don't care if it was joking or not, it was off-topic. Quality and popularity are two different things. It served no purpose but to derail your own thread further. So that was deleted too.

Pairing threads will have stricter rules. This has been made clear for a long time now. You can go and be angry at everyone that has done their share of flaming and baiting for several years, leading to this level of strictness in our decisions.

It's an anonymous poll, not even we can see who has voted on them. The OP should have thought of that before creating the poll. I don't remember deleting a post that was just about dupes though...

As expected it is already going downhill. It's a shame because I liked some of the discussions in there... I have a good mind to just create a thread with a poll, close that thread so that only voting can be done, and be done with the whole thing. That's probably the closest we'll ever get to a compromise.

3. ch1p likes the kitteh

It may depend on the version or modifications, but it's possible.

90% sure mine was only about the poll being private / public (posted even a link to another made in the past) and the dupe thing. It doesn't matter, I just didn't enjoy the 'oh everybody who got their posts deleted were throwing a shitfest about whose pairing is better' accusation.

4. Kenneth

FEED.

☠✌☹✋✞☜ Administrator

I picked a general reason for deleting the posts.

I guess jimmies have been rustled. I'll go and add proper reasons for deleting the posts, then.

5. ch1p likes the kitteh

I don't care about you deleting the post. I care about the accusation a fellow user made on this thread. I thought I had made that clear in my reply. :geg

6. Kenneth

FEED.

☠✌☹✋✞☜ Administrator

Oh. Sorry. There were so many replies in here so I ended up skimming trough a couple of them.

7. Rinoa SaltySoul Super Moderator

When you create a thread in a section is in accordance with the rules of the same section.
    In case of doubt contact the mods in this case Kenneth already explained the actions taken in the thread, which are the same as those taken on any thread.

Any post that is spam, off-topic, baitish, or if the moderation section considers that may derail the thread will be deleted.
    As in any thread of popularity, if the OP or the posts are not in accordance with the rules of the section moderators can indicate and act.
    Vote, post your appreciations, motives, exchange a bit of talk about them in a civil manner, without pointing fingers, veiled forms of baiting, flaming or attempted debates in any way or kind.

This section when returned from the reboot, gave an indication that it would be more stricter for the time being, we hope that the opportunity given to the popularity thread runs smoothly and people can have a little fun out of the debate threads concerning the topic.
    In the case of breaking rules and larger problems it's submitted to the same treatment and procedure as any other.
    Any doubts PM.

Kenneth already gave the answers here.
    :byastars

8. Seto Kaiba God Hand Crusher

Kenneth, why didn't you do that to begin with?

9. Kenneth

FEED.

☠✌☹✋✞☜ Administrator

Because I didn't think of that idea a few days ago...?

10. izzyisozaki See you on tumblr bitches

*hasn't read/understood shit but* Setooo :hammer

11. Kenneth

FEED.

☠✌☹✋✞☜ Administrator

Also I tested if that was possible just now.

It isn't.

12. Seto Kaiba God Hand Crusher

Oh, that's a shame.

13. hannah will not come back.

To mark something as a start of an event, said event has to happen after the staring one.

Btw. This is the day I started growing wings. :amazed

They did say why they voted and you called that debate starting.
    Kenneth if I say "I like NaruSaku because NaruHina is a bag of shit that makes no sense." I am not debating anyone. Something being worse than the latter is ALSO a reason in itself.

Then treat that section more strictly. Don't treat it wrongly.
    Ban anyone that flames or beats (whatever that is) permanently then. Don't delete threads.

But you have no reasonable justification for stopping something that did not happen.

In the wrong way. I urge you to change your mind as to who you listen to and how you draw your conclusions.
    I'm not saying obey me Kenneth. I'm saying think.

Wrong.

I warned one person. The the second post, not the first. I told people not to engage in a debate with the first, because even though the first has a right to state their reasons for liking a pairing, they do not have a right to turn that into a debate.

The only real debate going on there was one concerning popularity.

If I say I would rather shoot someone in the head because I prefer it to drowning them, I am not debating. That's just a choice out of the options I am considering and the fact that I made that choice in comparison to the other one IS my reason listing. Not a debate.

You can't punish me for it if you asked me not to debate. It makes no sense.
    You also can't edit my posts that reference examples of other people's statements if I am not in direct conversation with any of those people. Remember the X stamp? :maybe
    And even when I did use it outside of giving examples, it was again not a debate. I replied saying let's agree to disagree.

And what was your reason again? :quite
    It's insulting to someone?! :eek
    How dare I?! :omg

Kenneth. Anything, anyone has ever written can be insulting to someone. That's as good of a criteria as choosing to delete my post because birds fly. :oh

I'm sorry, but whether you are deleting my post or editing it. I can not, not give a fuck. I wrote something and you are basically telling me "Shut up because I said so". And that's something I can not shrug of in this life, even on a forum.

Yes. I asked a question. I was not debating pairings. I asked a question about them. And I requested the person not to make something up, if such concept "pairing quality" doesn't objectively exist among the pairing debaters.
    No derailing would occur at all, because I was asking a question regarding their reasons for liking a pairing, wanting to understand such reasons. It was on topic and non debate, and you had no evidence to the contrary.

I will suffocate you Jewish children now. But noo. Don't you be angry at me. Be angry at all those shark loaning bastards you call grandfathers who took our money and our lands.

And why would you delete such a post at all? Possibility of dupes influences poll stats, therefore it is on topic.

It's not.
    And what you suggest is not a compromise. It's catering to Seto's (or people's- those that are like him) whining.

How do you not see you can not objectively call anything baiting unless it is insulting. If I bait you into something it means I want to participate and want you there. If such occurrence (as debate, or a convo) never happens, you can not "consider" something baiting, or off topic, when it objectively is not.
    You "considering" without proof, therefore acting, is completely wrong.

ANYTHING someone doesn't like can be pointed a finger at and scream baiting. Me saying I like NaruHina because it's cute, can be a bait by the same standards. That's not a reasonable cause for any modding whatsoever.
    Just because someone whines it doesn't make it right.

What time? What changes after that time?
    Are you joking? :quite

14. Hiroshi Advisor

This section was revamped primarily because of the pairing mess. . .when it was rebooted it was explicitly stated in the rules that any slight jabbing, flaming, trolling, etc. in the pairing threads would be deleted immediately to prevent the same thing from occuring.

That is the one thing we take seriously in the HoU - and I think justly so. Before revamping many people said they wanted tight reins on the pairings and we enforced that.

15. Kenneth

FEED.

☠✌☹✋✞☜ Administrator

You'll always find an argument against any decision we take. I won't give you the satisfaction of wasting my time for the 3rd time in one week anymore. This second time will be the end of it, whether you like it or not.

You arrogantly decide what I should do, when and where, and to whom. You told me to do my job, when I was doing exactly that. I'm doing my "job" again. But it wasn't in your favor this time, so you cry, grossly exaggerating all the way to bawwville.

One final time (say it with me now), your posts were deleted because they were:

a) spam
    b) belonged in a convo thread
    c) responded to the troll/someone trying to start a debate

Typically, responses to trolls, or posts trying to start shit, will be deleted along with said troll/bait posts. This is true on a global scale. If this was unknown to you, much like the other moderator actions that are pretty much standard actions to take, you are in no position to even be giving me shit for this.

Furthermore, debates do need two people to turn into a debate, but they need only one person to post his or her pairing arguments pro or con, in a pairing thread, in the HoU, to enable a pairing debate... Because others will jump on that post. That's not the point of that thread at all.

To conclude: I have no intention of cleaning up for hours afterwards instead of preventing the whole thing in mere seconds.

You can use your bullshit stamp on your own posts, thank you. If my or anyone else's actions as a moderator bother you, you can go X and post a thread about it.

16. Bontakun Maple Royal Guard

My suggestion: Clearly defined rules at the start of whatever thread has unique rules, and repeat with warning posts when necessary.

Why? Because you two are arguing about what IS a pairing debate and what is not. If I was running things, this would be in my OP:

1. No pairing debate.
    1.1. Any post that compares one pairing to another directly with value judgements, for example, "ShinoKonan is better than ShinoMei because ShinoMei is built on abuse and mistrust." is not okay.
    1.2. But a post that comments on the qualities of the supported pairing, for example, "ShinoKonan is great because it's mutually supportive and built on trust," is allowed.

Kenneth, please don't take it as posters telling you how to do your job. Sometimes in KL I have my counter-troll posts deleted along with the troll posts, and like you're saying, that's fine. But sometimes my non-offensive posts get deleted too. If you look at it from out side, when we take the effort to add something on-topic and constructive to our post and the whole post gets deleted then it is upsetting. So what certain people here are really complaining about, is not how to do your job, but about our freedom to have our words heard without getting them deleted.

At least, that's what I think this is about :ninja. Try to get along, guys. We should be fighting the actual trolls, not each other.

17. Kenneth

FEED.

☠✌☹✋✞☜ Administrator

The rule was incredibly clear. Don't turn it into a pairing debate. That's it, just one rule that I told Hannah to include for good measure. Everyone already knows that all pairing threads will be treated more strictly than the others. You can talk about pairings in the other threads, that one is for discussing the popularity of those pairings. It shouldn't be a long strain of "this is shit and that is great".

If someone is confused by this, I don't know how to simplify it even further.

You obviously haven't heard Hannah say "you should do x" 400 times in a post, nor have you seen her telling me how I'm supposed to respond to reports, based on her assumptions of how I deal with them.

Useless, as shown in the other pairing debate thread. Just finished checking that one. We've warned for years. If it's a first offense, we'll warn. If it happens again, we'll take action in whatever shape we deem necessary. Two people in this discussion have a legitimate complaint and if they want, I'll restore their posts about dupe votes. One of them was in here (Ch1p).

Hannah's posts that were deleted, all six of them, were off-topic. two quoting bait, three were off-topic regarding other things, and the last one was a post that ranted about my actions.

I actually only edit out the bits that break rules. If that bit is the entire post, I delete it. I'm not trying to be the big bad villain here, I'm trying to keep as much intact as I possibly can. Case in point: most of the posts that contributed in some way only had quotes or bits of bait removed. But some take it way out of proportion, and create a hurricane of nonsense.

Again, I don't delete entire posts when there's still something that can be saved. :oh

18. Kenneth

FEED.

☠✌☹✋✞☜ Administrator

Had to go to work... i totally get what you are going for but it proved to backfire in the past. We'talk about this when i get home. K? Im on my mobile atm. Or sendme a vm so i dont forget. Cheers.

19. Bontakun Maple Royal Guard

Just exactly as I simplified it. If it was clear you wouldn't have Hannah saying this:
    ...Which IMO is trying to start a debate.

Well, so far I've only seen comments related to her posts being deleted.

As long as those actions are against the ones who continued to ignore the warnings, that seems reasonable.

Again that seems reasonable in principle. Seems like you two just have different views on what is bait, and what is debate.

This...
    ...is one of the of the ones "quoting bait" I suppose. So basically she tried to ask some questions about a possibly bait-quality post to turn it into a meaningful discussion, and you deleted both?

Well, I guess you could've kept them up and give it a chance, depending on how shitty the original post was. Who knows? It could have turned out to be alright :hmm

20. Kenneth

FEED.

☠✌☹✋✞☜ Administrator

No question was asked to that particular "quality" person, but it was a response to someone that tried to argue that popularity =/= quality. It was only perpetuating a discussion that was off-topic, so I saw no point in keeping that around. The thread isn't about quality, else, I would find that no pairings would be in the poll at all :maybe Well, maybe MinaKushi.

All of her posts that dealt with questions about the poll, thread or popularity of certain pairings were kept intact.

As for this:
    Memory may not serve well at 7 in the morning, but I saw no such thing. It still wouldn't matter. :facepalm The thread is about popularity; if you want to see why people like a certain pairing, you will have to visit the fanclubs and ask that over there. If you want to ask why a pairing is so popular, then you're in the right place. People mentioning why they like pairings, is asking for others to barge in and mock the user's arguments. Then that person defends their arguments, and so on and so forth. We've seen this happen already.

This is nothing short of baiting. It was removed. I intended to post this earlier but I had to go to work, and really, quoting things with a mobile phone is like performing surgery with feet for hands and a corkscrew instead of proper equipment. This was the only post of hers that mentioned the word "quality". It was far from an attempt at trying to talk about quality in a meaningful way.

Judging from the Silo part, she asked or did not ask him/her why they liked that pairing (? I haven't checked), but ended up mocking/baiting that person anyway, with her "bullshit stamp" and lovely attitude. So I don't see the point of her bringing it up, it's not helping her at all. It should stand to reason that this entire post would be removed anyway. It not only has baiting but it also continues an off-topic discussion that may escalate into a pairing debate if left unchecked. Which is kind of the thing we said we would do, not have pairing debates, and preventing pairing debates.

21. hannah will not come back.

Saying "you are telling me how to MY job" is saying "I am the only one capable of modding, so don't pretend you can even fathom what I do".

You are not a brain surgeon and I am not your lobotomy patient. :pek

a) no
    b) no
    c) yes once

"Pretty much standard" is not even funny as a justification for something.
    Remember what was "pretty much standard" in WW2 Germany? :maybe

I'm glad you're finally acknowledging
    :noworry

Still...

Anything anyone ever posts can get a response that opposes it. Let's try to explain this a bit differently...

Because you think it may become a pairing debate, you delete.
    You have no valid reason. A valid reason is a FACTUAL reason.
    It is your personal assessment, backed up with nothing, but mere existence of someone's opinion.

Look at it as you being a police officer.​

A police officer is allowed to take someone's gun away from them, if he has a reasonable suspicion that said person is potential danger to society.

The gun is a post expressing dislike for a pairing, compared to the pairing you like, as it is nothing more than an opinion existing among us. A dead object.

The potentially dangerous gun owner is a post who is trying to provoke someone by insulting them personally, by inviting people to debate. Or in short, by pointing the gun (my argument) at others.

You, the police officer go around confiscating people's possessions they have a right to, without reasonable suspicion.

The reasonable suspicion would be a testimony from third party of said occurrence (not their assessment), or ones own witnessing of someone pointing a gun (personally inviting a debate).

If you want to pretend your actions have any objective validation, you need to make the following rules official:

"You are not allowed to compare your pairing to another."
    "You are not allowed to talk about any pairing in a negative light."
    "You are not allowed to post. This has potential of causing a debate." :tomato

And a warning:

"You may be exposed to whimsical deletion of your posts, because we can."

Yet instead, you choose to use words like fairness, flaming, debate, (the very arbitrary) strict and spam. And then you wonder why I think you have no principles?
    And just for safety, I'm not saying make those rules. I'm saying follow the ones you have.
    Those who enforce the rules should to the least understand them.

Also.. That's not the point of the thread, therefore kill it?
    The point of the Bible is not to kill for it, are you suggesting we burn that too? Should we shut Jesus up? :tomato

To conclude: The wrong way is the easy way.

They were my posts. They were arbitrary examples of possible posts. I made them up so they are without a doubt mine.

Or if you think someone may feel insulted anyway...

If a movie director makes a film where a white banker with black hair and 2 kids launders money, does a man with same race, job, hair and number of kids have a right to sue him for slander? :maybe

You're telling me you can't be talked to reasonably and I need to go behind your back? :huh

And this is what you PMed me:
    You left the window for personal opinion. And as I explained above, you broke your own rule. Later you took it back so don't pretend you didn't. Not to repeat myself as to why people posting were right and you were wrong.

That makes no sense.

This would be exactly the same as making laws different in the ghetto, because there is more crime there.
    So lets say for example: people are allowed to wear masks. You ban Halloween in the ghetto because robbers use masks.

Those people don't deserve equal rights. They live in a bad neighborhood.

Look...
    I do have a problem with the core principles of your modding. But not only because they are unreasonable and damaging, but even more so because you advertise them as something else.

And I'm not calling you and all mods like you here two faced liars.
    I'm calling you confused kids. You don't even understand how rules work.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  22. Bontakun Maple Royal Guard

Guys we need more events with official prizes in HoU, so that the forum would be more lively and some of us can get those awesome sparkly names and big avys.

Suggestions I can think of:
    -Banner of the month (knowing the real format of the banner now, we need to replace that unfortunate JPG with an animated GIF!)
    -Topic starter of the month
    -Debater of the month

Thoughts?

23. Vermin ▄█▀ █ █▀█ █▀ █▄█ █▄

we could implement a voting system like the kc

24. Scarlet Ammo Active Member

Yes yes we need more opportunities to get prizes. Not just weekly sketch things that give us points. I want full blown prizes. Permanent ones. It sucks I won this cool 150x200 avi but can't change it otherwise it shrinks to a 150x150 avi :tomasulk

And why can't sparkly colored names be permanent too? And custom image titles? :pek

25. Kenneth

FEED.

☠✌☹✋✞☜ Administrator

Banner? Sure, why not. I'm not sure if these would be done often though. We'll have to discuss this a bit more.
    Thread? Unlikely.
    Debater? Maybe. Still, not very likely.
    That would be best, yeah.
    If it were like this, I doubt many would participate in future contests. What reason would they have? No, the prizes will never be permanent. Not in 'normal' contests, not in these hypothetical contests.

26. Geralt away fighting dragons

I agree with Kenneth. Permanent prizes = Big no. X

27. Scarlet Ammo Active Member

I don't wanna lose my avi :tomacry

Can the length of the prizes be extended at least?A month goes by fast :ano

28. Kenneth

FEED.

☠✌☹✋✞☜ Administrator

You won't, you'll just won't be able to upload 150x200 avatars anymore. Your Hidan avy will stay right where it is tho. :hug

29. Scarlet Ammo Active Member

When's the next contest? :ano

30. Magician Member

Can we have a "who can piss people off the best" contest?

I want a big avy.

31. Scarlet Ammo Active Member

yes yes. All I'd have to do is spam Hidan gifs. Oh wait, I already do that. :noworries

Oh. I could post how Naruto > Bleach & One Piece. I'd win for sure. :kaga

32. Bontakun Maple Royal Guard

Reason I'm saying thread and debater is I'd like to have a way to reward people for talking too not just drawing. More ideas:
    -funniest poster of the month
    -best Naruto character analysis of the month

You lose to Lezu by far, man :LOS.

I also agree no permanent prizes.

33. Bontakun Maple Royal Guard

Most recent to least recent:

-Bontakun
    -The Dreaded Alias
    -Saikyou
    -Leon Soryu
    -Rainbow Cake

As decided between Tom and me, the current way things are going, with 2000th post person having rights to the poll, is not giving chance to enough people. So we will have a rolling list of five most recent poll makers. The ones on this list cannot be a winner until they roll off the list again.

Edit: This is NOT a queue of people who are next in line to make a poll, it is a list of people who have ALREADY made a poll recently and must wait.

Edit 2: We'll need an extra rule. If the 2000th post maker is on this list, the winner is the 1999th post maker. If the 1999th post maker is also on this list, then it's the 1998th post maker and so on.

Archive.
    [sp]
    YE OLDE CONVO POLL-MAKERS ROLLING LIST

-The Dreaded Alias
    -Saikyou
    -Leon Soryu
    -Rainbow Cake
    -Alaude

As decided between Tom and me, the current way things are going, with 2000th post person having rights to the poll, is not giving chance to enough people. So we will have a rolling list of five most recent poll makers. The ones on this list cannot be a winner until they roll off the list again.

Edit: This is NOT a queue of people who are next in line to make a poll, it is a list of people who have ALREADY made a poll recently and must wait.

Edit 2: We'll need an extra rule. If the 2000th post maker is on this list, the winner is the 1999th post maker. If the 1999th post maker is also on this list, then it's the 1998th post maker and so on.

Archive.
    [sp]

-Leon Soryu
    -Rainbow Cake
    -Alaude
    -Bontakun
    -Ernie

Archive.

[sp]

-Rainbow Cake
    -Alaude
    -Bontakun
    -Ernie
    -8Apedemak8

[/sp]
    [/sp]
    [/sp]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  34. Raiden I'm with <b><font color="#ff6600">COCO</font></b>

35. Addy itachi is everywhere!!

suggestion: change title to house of uchiha :quite

X

36. Kenneth

FEED.

☠✌☹✋✞☜ Administrator

A new contest may happen in the future, but nothing is certain.
    Negged, reported, called the cops and dumped the body in a dumpster 5,000 miles from my house.

37. Addy itachi is everywhere!!

shouldn't have said that. now, i told the cops that where you dumped me :edu

38. Vermin ▄█▀ █ █▀█ █▀ █▄█ █▄

i would really, really. really like to bring back the naruwards

39. Bontakun Maple Royal Guard

X

X

X

X

Pro-freedom faction

X

X

X

X

X

X

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  40. Bontakun Maple Royal Guard

It's simple. Even numbered threads can be won only without deletions. Odd numbered threads can be won using any dirty or noble method you can think of.

Where's the thread number? It's in the URL of the first page of the thread.

X

This is thread number 944644. It's an even numbered thread, so if this was a winnable thread, deletions will NOT be allowed.

Rationale:
    [sp]
    From votes so far, there seems to be a 50/50 split between supporters of deletions and non-supporters
    X

The chances of an odd numbered thread and an even numbered thread are about 50/50.

So we have the best representation of everyone's desires using this rule.
    [/sp]

Comments? Questions? Praises? Flowers? Autograph requests?

41. Rinoa SaltySoul Super Moderator

All of us join in wishing you a happy
    Holiday Season and a prosperous New Year

The HoU Moderators

Our thanks to X for the wonderful banner and Headbanner.​

42. Bontakun Maple Royal Guard

And happy new year! I'm not too late. It's still January. :ninja

43. Rinoa SaltySoul Super Moderator

Never too late to wish and do good things.:hurr

44. Bontakun Maple Royal Guard

Feedback: The mods are very active and are very careful in using their powers. Which makes this a great section. Bontakun seal of approval!

45. Kenneth

FEED.

☠✌☹✋✞☜ Administrator

46. Dean Ambrose Best non-wrestler champ since HHH

More like over the top insane :LOS

47. Kenneth

FEED.

☠✌☹✋✞☜ Administrator

Well, no, I'm over the top insane but Rinoa's sanity balanced that out and brings it back down to "slightly". So with our combined strength, we're just slightly insane.

48. Bontakun Maple Royal Guard

Aww you're just being modest. They say there's a fine line between genius and insanity :zaru

49. Dean Ambrose Best non-wrestler champ since HHH

Kenneth's as raunchy as a schoolgirl

in other words, they're a normal healthy human :ninja

50. Bontakun Maple Royal Guard

Maybe unsticky convo, and quick Q/A.
    Or move pairings to a sub-forum.