1. The NF rules of conduct have been updated in response to the Xenforo upgrade. Please review them here.
  2. Please vote in the following contest threads: AOTW MIRROR, SOTW MIRROR, PSOTW MIRROR
  3. Discussion for the forum medals contest is happening here. Please drop in and give your input.

Hiro Mashima vs. Eiichiro Oda

Discussion in 'Akihabara Records' started by MakeEmum, May 20, 2009.

1. MakeEmum ...cause 7 annihilated 9

Who has the better drawing style in terms of Character design and Background..etc

since people say they're similar and all, just curious what you people think

2. Cyclone248i is Too Good.

As far as design I'm willing allow a draw with a bias towards Oda, but , when it comes to backgrounds,there's no question that Oda is the master.

3. BVB 14

Mashima draws sexier women in my opinion. :hurr

4. Tempproxy Active Member

This is my personal opinion but I think Mashima copies the shit out of Oda style, I am sure many will claim they cant see it but that shit is clear as day I have recently tried to get into Fairy Tail but I cant help but feel I am reading One Piece take 2 again from the way Natsu and Lucy meet is an excat rip of to the original way Luffy met Nami. Maybe its just the Oda fanboy in me but to me there is the master in Oda and then there is the wannabe in Mashima.

5. Gomu Ningen ...

Mashima does certainly draw sexy women, but overall I think I prefer Oda's drawings and designs. It might just be my bias and love of One Piece that won't allow me to see Mashima's as better, but a lot of Mashima's designs seem bland and uninteresting. Like someone pointed out, Oda is better with backgrounds.

Oda definitely has Mashima completely beat on story, character development, fights, and awesomeness. They're not even comparable in these areas.

6. Vandal Savage Game Theory Administrator

Oda is superior. Even more so if you only compare Fairy Tail to One Piece. At least comparing Rave to OP is a bit less of a stomp.

7. Mystic Aizen Ex 5th Squad Captain

Personally I have fapped more to Mashima's drawings, but Oda is in a league of his own.

8. Inugami FT Defense Squad Member

Blackbeard I think this is the first time I see a major antagonist with that type of design.. I'm going to side with Oda .

Fairy Tail its just all about sexy woman's .

9. Don Quixote Doflamingo I eat Children

in term of wardrobe i think if comparing "fashion" style it goes to mashima, but originality,awesomeness,epicness and such style it goes to Oda.i mean Oda puts combination that fits excelently and badass (well mostly weird :D)

well of course Mashima wins in term of drawing chicks, but he can only draw oh so perfect boys :( hw can't drew macho or badass man at all :(
    just look at elfman and the new guy that is part of the 10 holy mage...
    i don't know it just seems realy bland.

then the backgrounds... ODA definitely wins :D

originality?? ODA!!!!
    for proof?? compare the epicness in Supernova to the FT oracion seis :zaru

though mashima's 4 demon realm god design in rave is quite good :)

10. Graham Aker Banned

Backgrounds go to Oda obviously.

Character design?
    That.

As for the 2 having the same style? Are you people blind? :facepalm
    Look closely at their art and compare. If you can't see the obvious differences, you are beyond hope. Go and have your eyes removed. :hmpf

11. Darth

I pretty much agree with this. Fairy Tail's women are far sexier than most of the girls in One piece.
    Indeed. In everything else but women, Oda is better. Especially when it comes down to Backgrounds and details. But we should probably thank his assistants for that.

12. Jugger System Crash

Yeah the aren?t even close to each other. Only common thing in their manga is dragon ball influence.

Mashima draws better women and Oda better backgroung if he does it himself and not his assistant

13. Nihonjin Shropshire Slasher!

Overall I prefer Oda, but as people have pointed out Mashima draws hawter females. :hurr

14. Gutsu SoCal Berserker

Oda has more stuff going on in each panel including more detail background. Mashima has a more cleaner look to it. Oda does draw hawt woman is that he doesn't do much fanservice like Mashima does though the anime version of One Piece does add fanservice.

Also there's lots of doujins based on One Piece girls are out their. :wink

15. Yasha C'est la vie

Never read OP, but I like Rave's drawing. Both aren't top-notched (like Tsukasa Hojo, Takehiko Inoue, Takeshi Obata, etc.), that's for sure.

16. typhoon72 Razzin Frazzin

Oda. No question in everything except drawing women. Which he has gotten way better at, but Mashima is still the best at that.

17. Chris Partlow Chillin with Wee-Bay

hhmmm i'm gonna go with Nobuhiro (soz for spelling Watsuki (creater of rurouni kenshin) Nobuhiro Watsuki

18. taboo verbal terrorist

oda forever, other guy never

19. MakeEmum ...cause 7 annihilated 9

2 years later and Oda's character designs still whoops Mashima

Trafalgar Law >>> any Fairy Tail character in terms of design

20. Aldric Active Member

Why the fuck did you necro that

No one's going to pick Mashima

21. GaaraoftheDesert1 commemorating failure

Mashima's character designs are repetitive, there are like 20 bishie guys who look the same and the ones who are supposed to be different end up looking like retards.

22. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!!!

You're backing Oda by stating the other guy has X X X
    Really?

23. GaaraoftheDesert1 commemorating failure

3 girl chars look kinda similar...its more like Oda's ideal woman..
    But Hiro has his own ideal man !
    Lets see in Fairy Tail..
    Gray, Natsu, Cobra, Enemy Guy in Edolas, Gerard, Zancrow (got the rinnegan in order to look different :zaru)
    And then Hiro is out of character desings, he draws some square like faces which suck !

24. KazeYama Product Placement

The only reason people say Mashima is better at drawing girls is because he has turned all of his female chars into fanservice whores and every cover page now is a pinup. Showing tits doesn't mean he can draw.

Oda atleast has some diversity in his designs and his characters actually have "character" and unique designs.

25. San Juan Wolf Haldinini Alsuishini

Don't forget the chrotch shots :p

26. Will Smith away fighting dragons

I think it's pretty obvious that Oda is better.

27. Syed Angel of Death

I'll give mashima in the art department, his art is more organized and better than Oda's. However, in plot, story, mechanics, execution, characters, development and general enjoyability I'd give it to One Piece. Fairy Tail lacks in these departments.

So One Piece > Fairy Tail

28. San Juan Wolf Haldinini Alsuishini

I dunno about the art being "better", because he loves having generic characters.

Like Zancrow.

29. Syed Angel of Death

It's more readable if you will. Easier on the eyes, less cluttered art and the characters look generally better. My opinion of course.

30. San Juan Wolf Haldinini Alsuishini

But when did Hiro last do a memorable design that wasn't a joke in the end ?

All I can think about is Azuma.

31. Matta Clatta DBZ Fanboy

Well its obvious Fairy Tail's art is better thats the only real thing I'll give Mashima over Oda, to me Mashima's style is cleaner, less static, and you don't see the problems with panel transitions that you see in One Piece.

If your judging Mashima's art on the basis of repetitive character designs(which Oda is guilty of as well but has the added factor of having over 10 years of story) then you probably can't find any flaws in his style and have to expand your criteria outward.

For the most part I could tell when Mashima changed his style( or probably got more assistants)
    Early FT looked like a clone of Rave whereas now it looks completely different from Rave.
    X

32. San Juan Wolf Haldinini Alsuishini

Also when I speak of repetitive designs, I meant male designs, because both have similar looking females.

My main problem with Mashima is

X

X

X

X

33. Chicama Keasby Knight

While Mashima is good at drawing girls, he basically uses the same template for most of them; Big breasts, slim figures, and cute faces. Its only really the clothes and hair styles that separate them.

He can experiment with the males, giving them strange facial features and body shapes, but it seems his females are only designed for fanservice. The last "different" girl I remember was Duke Everlue's Virgo, and that was a while ago. Oda may not be as good with female anatomy as Mashima, but he least he tries different designs.

As for the guys, Mashima does go overboard with the bishies and bad asses, but Oda's got a few himself. Mashima also relies on that generic medium spiky hairstyle for a lot of the males. Like SJW posted, Gray, Hughes, Jellal and Zeref basically look the same. Saying that though, he can come up with some nice unusual designs when he feels like it, such as Brain/Zero and Azuma.

As for Oda, his designs are very unique from one another, but sometimes I feel they get too crazy. Mashima is good at showing personalities through his designs, but Oda sometimes tends to get random with the clothing, making some characters look...off.

Mashima is also a hard worker. He hardly ever takes a break and sometimes gives us more pages or even extra chapters. Over all though, while I prefer some parts of FT, OP still wipes the floor with it in most categories :distracted

34. Fran I'm with <b><font color="#000080">Bruce</font></b>

this is a terrible thread.

All I see is Jellal and more Jellal. :maybe

35. Dei Active Member

This is gonna be so biased. We already know who will win.

36. Sphyer ~

What's the point?

Kubo destroys them both :maybe

37. Syed Angel of Death

Indeed :datass

It's not always about the end result. Mostly it's about the drama and butthurt generated LOL.

38. San Juan Wolf Haldinini Alsuishini

Too crazy ? Remember that bartender who had a wine bottle tied to the side of his head ? :p

39. ichigeau ♥♥♥ strawberry ♥♥♥

art is subjective.
    design and style is about taste (we can also say that about art.)

i dont read anny of those 2 manga so i cant comment... :33

40. San Juan Wolf Haldinini Alsuishini

And you had to tell us that.......because ......? :oh

41. Stripes wrong direction

:zaru No man, your right on the money. The second I looked at the first volume of FT it ran through my mind that this is like a copy of OP just add magical bullshit with a dumb plot-line and awful romance.

I can not believe people actually enjoy watching it either when they could be watching something as epic as One Piece.

42. Syed Angel of Death

When I read the first volume of One Piece I came to the conclusion it's like a copy of Dragonball.

I do agree with the Fairy Tail seeming like a copy of One Piece too.

43. Chicama Keasby Knight

To show he was a bartender, duh :maybe

44. ichigeau ♥♥♥ strawberry ♥♥♥

because some people are like *lol i hate this one so it suck, i love this one so its better lololz*

45. Stripes wrong direction

How does OP look anything remotely like DBZ the artwork and plotline is very different? :wha

46. Eisenheim Active Member

FT have some nice tits.

47. Syed Angel of Death

It's Dragonball. No such thing as Dragonball Z.

Also the art does look like Dragonball's art. The plot line is pretty similar, Goku wants to protect his friends and become the strongest, Luffy wants to protect his friends and become the king of the pirates (the best pirate).

Also Luffy meeting Nami didn't remind you of Goku meeting Bulma?

Definitely. :datass

48. Spirit King Nice going Fodder #1

It's similar, but it's also not too illogical to say it's quite different, mostly because of the fact that said storyline is so general that it applies to the vast majority of adventure works that far, far surpass dragonball in age that you could hardly say it is similar to dragon ball but more similar to the adventure genre.

That's not to say Dragon ball didn't influence Oda as it obviously did, but I don't think it would surprise many people Oda would have used a similar storyline even if Dragonball didn't exist.

It's like me saying I liked magic swords ever since I came into contact with them while playing X game. You can't really say I wouldn't still like magical swords if I didn't like X game because there's so many games with magical swords that at least one would probably ignite my passion.

49. Edward Newgate 世界最強の男

FT has an excellent plot and awful tits.

:maybe

50. KidTony Bernie Bro (Not Sexist)

go do that. Now.