1. Fancy yourself a sleuth, evil mastermind, debating pro, and/or just plain love One Punch Man? If so, sign up for Akihabara Lounge's first Mafia game, themed on One Punch Man.

LINK
  2. Hey you

Yeah you!

Have you always wanted to impress Gordon Ramsey with your culinary skills?

Well you can't...

But you can impress the NF community by joining the Cooking Contest in the Bento Box!

And we promise we won't make you cry like him.
  3. Celebrate our first Xenforo anniversary and join the forum lottery here
  4. Check out "Peerless", by our very own Shrooms!

Flashfiction #8: Nature

Discussion in 'Reader's Corner' started by Lucaniel, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Lucaniel non serviam

Theme #8: Nature

Rules:
    1. Your work must be within constraints of the theme.
    2. Of course, all themes can be interpreted in any number of ways.
    3. 500 words maximum per entry, or else the entry will be disqualified.
    4. Only post one entry per theme. The highest rated entry will choose the next theme.
    5. You may not rate/review your own work.
    6. Add a rating out of ten at the end of your "review".
    7. Be constructive/honest when criticizing a piece. No mindless flaming.
    8. You do not have to enter a flashfic to rate.
    -----------

starting late on 17/04, monday. finishing 26/04, wednesday. crits start 27/04 and finish with any luck by 30/04 (sunday)

2. Elder WAD im wit it

Spoiler: 500
    I close my eyes and relax my mind. I let the crashing sound of the waterfall cascade through my fatigued body. I let the aroma of the pounding rain infiltrate my chipped nostrils. Inhale. The wintry wind whisks through my limbs with a biting persistence, but I do not quiver or shudder, unlike the leaves and branches of the monumental mighty oak I meditate under.

Exhale.

The birds warbled happily. I've been out here forty-two days, so I am starting to become attuned to the ambiance.

I know for instance that the birds are particularly cheerful on this day because they will engorge themselves with the earthworms that will inevitably surface in this weather.

I know that this downpour is simply a cloudburst and will end in a minute, and after another minute, a thunderclap will alert me to a nearby storm encroaching with a fury that will definitely make my skin shiver and the trees tremble.

I know that every three days the hulking grizzly comes to fish about a kilometer upstream, and if I keep three seconds of running distance between us he will leave me to my own devices.

There's something serene about living in the wilderness. Something pacifying. Something tranquil. This was the first time in my life I have felt in harmony. It is a feeling that supersedes the ephemeral nature of joy.

I open my eyes and gaze across the gorge and I'm transfixed by the migration pattern of what appeared to be some geese flying in their famous V-formation. How truly splend-

I hear the clicking of a hammer being pulled back and reflexively tumble away to avoid the shot that follows and suddenly I am alert and awake. Damn, I was so focused I had not noticed the song had changed tunes and the rain had stopped. The dirt from the bullet hitting the nearby ground pellets my shins with fragments of root as I reach into my ankle holster to draw my own weapon. Gunshots continue to plaster the bark providing me cover, but as I listen carefully, I am able to identify the one producing those shots. Colt. Revolver. Six bullet cylinder.

The fifth shot whizzes past my left elbow.

Inhale.

The sixth shot strikes wood and I immediately strafe to the right and identify the target I'm returning fire at: Fifteen paces. Older man. Scraggly beard. Probably a biker, definitely a bounty hunter. He's reloading.

Exhale.

I squeeze the trigger three times and let the recoil adjust my aim. The first shot strikes him the abdomen, the second in his right shoulder, and the third his right ear. All non-lethal wounds. He yelps and crumples to the ground.

I rush over to him and straddle him before he can struggle, pulling out my skinning knife.

"Please...you don't have to do this", he groans.

I flicker my tongue and grin.

"I'm afraid I do - it's who I am, what I do. Thank you for reminding me of my nature."

Thunderclap.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017 at 12:13 PM