1. Fancy yourself a sleuth, evil mastermind, debating pro, and/or just plain love One Punch Man? If so, sign up for Akihabara Lounge's first Mafia game, themed on One Punch Man.

LINK

2. The latest NF Newsletter is out (July), read it here
  3. Summer Glow
    The HoU Banner Contest this time is centered on Summer time.
    The deadline is until July 23rd and you only have to click here to go straight to the information you need.

4. Ladies and gents, the Tech Hub has been archived! Any tech-related questions can go in KCC now, and make sure to use the new [Tech] tag!

Feedback on possible Battledome section restructuring

Discussion in 'Naruto Battledome' started by Daenerys Stormborn, Nov 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daenerys Stormborn Mother of Dragons Retired Mod

Hi everyone! With the Naruto manga having ended and the sequel Boruto series not achieving the same popularity, there has been some discussion amongst the staff about how to bolster activity on NF. This would likely involve some reorganization of the forum structure, and one idea that has been floated is to place all of the Battledome subsections (NBD, OBD, BBD, and OPBD) into a dedicated Battledome section. This does not mean that the sections would be merged with each other, just that they would be placed next to each other in their own section of the forum main page, rather than being scattered across the forum with the discussion sections for their parent series. We recognize that this is still a major change for sections that many of our members are highly invested in, so we are seeking input from section members. What do you guys think about this possibility?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  2. PhantomSage Well-Known Member

I don't know, it definitely means a lot of new people are gonna be coming to the NBD, not sure if that's a good thing.. :hm

3. `Lazlo Mere pawns die for my cause

I like it bring some new faces here yo, it'll allow us to read some new opinions and have more productive and good posting members. It'll also provide character diversity and new threads, new members, new more creative ideas and nice post is the way I see it. I love the idea.

4. Troyse22 Tailed Beast Without a Tail

I don't think it'd make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it'd increase popularity of the NBD, it might bring in a VERY few fresh faces, but barely enough to notice.

My opinion is, it doesn't really matter.

Just don't ever merge all of the Battledomes together or i'll :explicat:catfish

If you seriously want to increase the popularity the Battledomes, the mods should arrange tournaments (Similar to @Ryuzaki ) but do it every 2 or 3 months with real cash prizes, such as the winner gets 25$USD deposited into their Paypal account or a 25$ prepaid mastercard/visa that can be used online

The declining popularity of the battledome has nothing to do with how the sections and subsections are organized (Although when I see a bunch of useless pinned topics taking up half the first page of NBD, it's a turnoff) it's that there's no satisfaction or incentive in winning debates. And these days, nobody is willing to budge on their opinions, and that's another problem with the BD.

Or perhaps MOTM can get a cash prize, similar to the Tournaments I mentioned earlier, rather than just lightning on their name or a bigger avatar. I don't think the mods appreciate the effort that goes into CONSISTENTLY making sound arguments for an entire month, hell, I got 3 or 4 noms this month, and didn't even get put in the voting thread @Daenerys Stormborn i'd really like to know what that's about, i've yet to be banned and people with less noms than me were on there (PM me if you see this) I know I wouldn't win, but I should've been on there at the very least.

Anyways. All big forums and games offer rewards for doing well that have some sort of value, this forum lacks. I still love the forum and think people are great in it.

I know this forum was made to discuss the subsections topic, but I don't think that's the answer, it's going to do almost nothing.

I've seen this kind of subsection merge on another forum, and it actually hurt the forums popularity and functionality, this idea of a subsection merge has too much risk and no reward.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Empathy Disciple of Thunder

How far down the front page would we have to scroll to reach the BD section? What we have right now you can't really beat, which is fitting as the NBD is the most active battledome, I believe.

6. DaVizWiz ║╝‎‎ ‎‎╠╣ ║

The best way to avoid inactivity in the future is for the staff to take a more direct approach in the section, scheduling debating tournaments with manga characters and/or fictional characters and various manga/non-canon battle scenarios and having direct rewards/voter based accolades (Tournament MVD, Tournament Most Creative Debater, Tournament Most Charismatic Debater, Tournament Most Detailed Debater, Tournament Most Valuable Voter etc.)

For instance, in the current tournament I'd vote for Empathy for MVD currently, I'd vote for Bonly or HandfulofNaruto for MCD currently, I'd vote for either Alex Payne or Rocky for Most Charismatic Debater currently, I'd vote for Saph or WorldsStrongest for Most Detailed Debater currently, and I'd vote for Turrin for Tournament Most Valuable Voter currently.

This ensures that the tournament has many winners, not just one.

Debating primarily for the individual entertainment in the user-based threads will maintain some of the veterans and bring in a few new faces here and there, but when there are prizes and bragging rights of being the best in the tournament/section at something (like the accolades presented above) will increase activity and bring back vets to participate in discussion, the most recent tournament brought back debaters like Turrin & Rocky to participate in the section after some absence from it and that was only a trial tournament run by a section great, but a user nonetheless.

As for the idea of putting all BDs under a single parent section, I'm not confident that will have a greater positive outcome than tournament/staff engagement.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Saru slave to ambition Retired Mod

Inserting cash into the equation isn't something that's possible for the staff, and I don't think it's a sustainable resource of motivation. It'd be great if everyone could make money by debating, but that's just not feasible right now. We do have some other incentives, like MotM prizes (big avatar, sparkles, etc.), so do you think those incentives are, for lack of a better word, too lame? What other kind of (non-monetary) rewards would you suggest?

The NBD's placement is somewhat negotiable, but it would probably move down 2-3 slots at the minimum. Nothing is absolute, though.

No comment on the activity bit since I don't have access to those statistics.

This is an idea I've been toying around with (in my head at least).

We can actually toss some ideas around here, although it'd probably be best to do that in a separate thread/conversation so it doesn't drown out the thread topic. I may start a conversation with a few of you and encourage others to take part or start a suggestion thread later on this month or next month.

+1 for the suggestion though, and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

8. Troyse22 Tailed Beast Without a Tail

No, I'd like lightning on my name similar to HoN, but new debaters wouldn't really care about that, I put effort month after month into my arguments for a chance at getting MOTM. But those kind of status symbols mean nothing to the average newcomer.

Interesting question, as we all know, nothing motivates people like money. But it's hard thinking of non monetary rewards that would interest newcomers.

All of the older-veteran debaters want those status symbols but it's hard to think of anything non monetary that would entice newcomers to work their butts off in debates. Perhaps permanently colored text, rather than having to change the color of their text all the time, or flashy rainbow colored text. It'd be more visually appealing to most people and could reflect their favorite people or shinobi (for me it'd be aqua blue to represent Kisame, yellow for Minato fans, Red for Itachi fans, purple for Sasuke fans etc etc) I tried sticking to colored text but frankly its a hassle to highlight everything and change it.

Another good idea for newcomers would be to actually get new mods (In addition to current ones) to moderate the forums and communicate more often with the debaters. This would ensure no new debaters (or old) get harassed or trolled.

But the best bet imo, would be to organize tournament's more frequently, somewhere around 3-5 times a year, giving new debaters a chance to show their stuff in tournaments. And give the same rewards (or perhaps some new ones the mods can brainstorm, similar to current MOTM rewards)

9. Alex Payne a Char

Inevitable change. I am surprised at how much activity there still is. I was expecting this place to steadily stop being active right after the end of manga.

As for actual changes to this section - having Debate Tournaments in different forms is a good idea overall. Assuming there are enough people willing to be organizers. Maybe try to integrate KC in a very light form into the core section. Oh and remove outdated pinned threads / clean this place up a bit.

10. ARGUS The conqueror

Please don't incorporate people from Konoha library or other sections
    The last thing we want is for this section to get ruined or plagued

To increase activity though. Better threads or debates should be encouraged

And I feel users should have the independence of expressing their opinion, or debating in their usual style,
    Whether it be friendly or heated

I got banned recently for flaming, even though there was no proper flaming at all.
    Insulting an argument doesn't equal personally insulting a user,

So if you want the section to prolong, then atleast allow debaters to debate

So many of good threads have been deleted because of some insults.

11. Ryuzaki Moonlight ۷۸٦ Moderator

In order to bolster activity, I have a few ideas other than doing my part with tournaments, every 2-3 months or so.

12. theRonin The Wanderer

It'd be lot better than searching for different battledomes. You have my vote.

Good luck.

13. Ryuzaki Moonlight ۷۸٦ Moderator

Consolidating all battledomes into one is interesting if we could use specifier to filter each respective thread lol

14. Sapherosth One post man

I didn't even know that there were others.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Troyse22 Tailed Beast Without a Tail

That seems like a needless over complication.

16. PhantomSage Well-Known Member

I think it's because you don't come off as "friendly".

17. Troyse22 Tailed Beast Without a Tail

Neither do a lot of the people that were on the voting thread, a few of them are known to be trolls.

Maybe it's because one of the mods is biased, and doesn't want me there:kermit

He knows who he is:gabe

18. Ryuzaki Moonlight ۷۸٦ Moderator

No homo.

19. Sapherosth One post man

I think we should have a competition for "Who is the least friendly member of the month" or "Who is the worst member of the month".

The "Winner" has to change their signature or profile picture to something that the community voted.

That should spice things up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Troyse22 Tailed Beast Without a Tail

Or create a bunch of people too scared to even say anything that's contrary to someone elses opinion.

21. DaVizWiz ║╝‎‎ ‎‎╠╣ ║

Troy has bias toward a character, according to what we think.

Get over it, everyone has some bias toward a character.

I can write a list for most who have bias toward a character, not necessarily intentionally, but because the way they read and interpreted them was less/greater than the majority opinion and that's what they believe.

Not everyone can agree on the power scale of every character, even those who most closely share my beliefs of each character's power scale may think my evaluation of one or two characters are wayy too powerful/weak, thus they may think I have a character bias.

Stick around Troy, we see your efforts, and I see you as a friendly user, but we can only nominate 6. You'll make the droplist eventually.

Of course, if this were me three years ago and you wanked Itachi, I probably wouldn't be saying this. :lbj

22. hbcaptain Reznor Killer - Rip Reznor

I think creating newly born/original tournaments and make it so all NF members notice it with good presentation and all would be a good idea so that we can fight inactivity.

For example, I never ever saw characters battle tournaments. Actually, I have an idea of making football leagues-like tournament based on tiers, starting with High Jonin to Low Kage, High Kage and so. Each time, the top charcaters wil qualify to the next tournament while characters at the bottom relegate to the tier just below.

As for the tiers, actually we had so many ranking threads, so why not moderators or advisors can't make a general ranking divided intiers as initial configuration based on this threads ?

23. PhantomSage Well-Known Member

No tier list is perfect tho, it will always be that way due to bad matchups etc.
    Also, is mods make a general tier list, many might disagree with a character's placement

24. hbcaptain Reznor Killer - Rip Reznor

That's why I said it should be based on a lot of previous ranking threads. Basically, it's BD's average tier list so that everyone can't desagree even if he isn't ok with the ranking.

25. HandfullofNaruto she wore medallions on a string

26. Sadgoob Dream Bigly

When other sections send their people, they're not sending their best.

27. Troyse22 Tailed Beast Without a Tail

We need a wall to stop illegal posters from posting, they're bringing drugs and crime!

28. Bonly Neo Blasterz

Personally it doesn't matter much to me since I can just open a new tab and click on the NBD and be sent here so where it's out on the main page is pretty meh to me so I'd say go ahead and put them all together. Now what you need to do is make a feedback thread for the NBD general and fix the order of the sticky threads

29. `Lazlo Mere pawns die for my cause

Wasn't it something similar to this that the forums use to do a while back? Like funniest member of the month and stuff.

30. Sapherosth One post man

I don't know.

But I am definitely going to get the "least friendly member" of the month.

That's one thing I am confident in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.