1. Fancy yourself a sleuth, evil mastermind, debating pro, and/or just plain love One Punch Man? If so, sign up for Akihabara Lounge's first Mafia game, themed on One Punch Man.

LINK
  2. Hey you

Yeah you!

Have you always wanted to impress Gordon Ramsey with your culinary skills?

Well you can't...

But you can impress the NF community by joining the Cooking Contest in the Bento Box!

And we promise we won't make you cry like him.
  3. Throwback Naruto : Hidden Village of Art has launched a new contest related to Naruto where Love and Spring is in the air, until next June 21.
    To know more click on the link: Spring Canon Pairings Drawing contest !!

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou Ka (Dan Machi)

Discussion in 'Akihabara Novel Corner' started by Vandal Savage, Dec 27, 2014.

1. lokoxDZz This is a goodbye, Smile.

I expected amazoness to be... Beautifull...? :geg

Bell is just luck, but level uping temporary is pretty OP by standards of the verse i guess.

Do you know how many people are on hestia familia? :hmm

2. Vandal Savage The Magician Administrator

Spoiler:
    I'm wondering if it is a special skill where she can transform into that form. Something similar to Lili and her Cinder Ella ability but on a grander scale. :hm

As of where we are in translations? Currently it is just Bell in Hestia's familia.

Spoiler:
    After Volume 6? It is Bell, Lili, Welf, and Mikoto for one year. Spoilers from volume 7 indicate this character from volume 7 will join at the end but I haven't looked up information on her yet.

3. Xin Advisor

Love the anime so far.

4. Vandal Savage The Magician Administrator

I definitely think it is. The LN isn't as grating for me to read as other series *cough*Absolute Duo*cough* but apparently Preet begs to differ. :hm

My only advice should you start is that volume 2 is the weakest part of the series. Literally every other volume is better and once you hit volume 3 shit gets real and Dan Machi starts soaring.

5. Alkaid Yandere

I kinda dropped this at 3. There's been a real craze lately with LN's with themes like reincarnation, second lives, and leveling systems. Dan Machi overall was kind of average for me but it's tiers higher than the trash that is generally translated.

I heard the primary translator for this got a cease and desist letter and dropped the project entirely. Is this true?

6. Vandal Savage The Magician Administrator

Yeah I noticed the trend. The LN writers, editors, and publishers saw the wave and clearly decided to ride it for all it's worth. Some of these are good but others leave a lot to be desired. I love Dan Machi for having endearing characters to go along with its Familia/Adventurer/Dungeon mechanics. The anime/manga adaptions don't do as great a job of covering that last part but I enjoy Omori describing what each floor is like and the monsters that spawn there as well as the levels required to survive on them.

That was JN and yeah he got hit with a C&D order. A new translator took over and he at least put it up on sites that are less likely to bother with those but chances are they will still go after his blog. He had technical difficulties so that is slowing him down from actually posting anything new.

7. yung berkz New Member

Can i also get a PM for the LN translations

8. Vandal Savage The Magician Administrator

Yeah, I'll see if another site has them or something since it looks like the one I previously linked is down. :haha

-edit-

https://hendricksensama.wordpress.c...eai-wo-motomeru-no-wa-machigatteiru-darou-ka/ (https://hendricksensama.wordpress.com/2015/04/12/dungeon-ni-deai-wo-motomeru-no-wa-machigatteiru-darou-ka/)

9. Vandal Savage The Magician Administrator

Spoiler: Volume 7 summary courtesy of Kunagisa on AnimeSuki

This volume sounds absolutely amazing. :wtf

10. Xin Advisor

Currently at the point where he learned magic.

Love it. :cat

11. Vandal Savage The Magician Administrator

Fits his style doesn't it? Also the magic he ended up choosing makes even more sense once you get to V4 I think. But before that will be Bell's crowning moment of awesome in V3. You are basically right where next week's episode of the anime is at and they may finish off Lili's arc the week after that. :catprone

12. Xin Advisor

Already almost caught up where I am in the LN right now.

13. Vandal Savage The Magician Administrator

Yeah I think with the dungeon battles (and the dungeon itself) not getting as much focus as they could the anime is speeding through the material that happens outside of it. Which is good in my book as long as they properly handle all of Volume 5 and the key battles in Volumes 3 and 4. Those are the best parts of the series anyway along with some of the stuff in volume 1. :catprone

14. Alkaid Yandere

How are the battles in the anime so far? I usually don't pick up anime that I've read LN's for cause those are let downs, but the designs look pretty good.

15. Vandal Savage The Magician Administrator

Basically glossed over unfortunately. The anime doesn't carry any of that intensity from the novel nor do you feel that overwhelming sense of danger from it. In the novel, its like one false move and Bell is gonna die from the monsters he is fighting. In the anime it just feels like he is hacking and slashing the monsters and there is nothing special about it. At the very least, I'm hoping the boss battles properly capture the fights. The Silverback fight was solid but the next boss battle better be handled a lot more carefully. :ippy

16. Suzuku Well-Known Member

The dungeon really doesn't feel like a big part of the story at all so far in the anime. I think they're failing on that end. The Dungeon should feel like a character on its own and htye kind of just haven't presented it like the novel.

17. Punk Zebra Earth's CEO

Right you are. I was saying the same thing to Jetstorm when the manga started.

18. Vandal Savage The Magician Administrator

Definitely. I think the anime decided they were going to focus primarily on the characters and have them be the selling point while the actual intrigue and lore of the adventurer/familia system and the dungeon were going to take a back seat to that. I mean, they eventually have to deal with this at least when V3 hits and especially V5 (because all of it takes place in the dungeon) but I'm curious about how they treat it once they can't marginalize it.

To be fair, even Omori himself is a bit guilty of this when volumes 6 and 7 focus so much on the adventurers and familia as opposed to just the dungeon exploration itself. Still great material from everything I have seen, but hopefully we get another dungeon expedition since Bell has a legitimate team around him now.

19. haegar Well-Known Member

damn I have this uncanny knack for catching up on stuff just in time for the big cliffhanger. had no choice but to spoiler me on what comes after 5.1 :facepalm

at least yesterday hendricksen posted he back doing stuff. wonder how long it takes for 5.2 ....grml ... will be too long either way :lmao

edit: wait, what, sorotrans had a quicktrans of vol 5 chap2 up but it got taken down on the google doc linked to, damnit, somebody save my day with a pm plz :argh

20. Vandal Savage The Magician Administrator

Yeah, unfortunately the translations for Dan Machi keep stalling just as the series really starts taking off. At this rate the Yen Press translations will catch the fan translations. :skully

I'll send you a PM about it.

21. haegar Well-Known Member

speaking of catching up I wonder how much the anime will cover ... might even be ?p to vol4 partially? if I got that right we get crosso next episode?

22. Vandal Savage The Magician Administrator

The anime is going to cover all the way until the end of Volume 5. It's going to end on a high note and it will be awesome based on what I know of that volume. It is why I was hoping the translations for Volume 5 would be done before the anime got that far so I could read and compare but it's obvious they aren't going to make it in time and the quality is going to be compromised since they are using MTL on top of it.

23. haegar Well-Known Member

edit: the anime is really REALLY good - still sorta a pain considering there was enough material for a 24 ep arc till end of vol5.

they prly WILL cramm it in 12/13 eps, right? :facepalm

though im not unhappy, compared to say how DxD born got butchered they doing a good job of getting the vibe over to anime ... the lack of the menacing *life* of the dungeon and a couple of interesting background info on the gods and the complex intricacies of familia stuff being what i miss most :hmm

edit2: I read im comments of vol5ch2 about that sidestory featuring mikoto, could you kindly point me to that too?

24. Vandal Savage The Magician Administrator

Yup, the anime is 13 episodes. They could have pushed it to 24 if they included more novel details (and side stories) along with including volume 6 but that one came out literally the same month as they announced the anime so it probably was too late to include.

My guess is volume 5 will be episodes 10-13. Volume 4 isn't really that long when you remove the side stories which probably aren't going to get animated.

Agreed on the dynamics of the gods and familia as well as the dungeon is what the anime is missing out on most. I feel like that would have gotten covered better in a 24 episode format.

Anything with Mikoto in it at length isn't translated yet. I know JN skipped some side stories when he was translating the first 4 novels and Volume 5 is only just getting started outside of chapter 1.

25. haegar Well-Known Member

guess that commentator read it in original then, shame

thx for headsup on the anime :)

26. Senjou Mystic Eyes of Death Perception

alright I caught up with the anime. :ruri

Now to catch up to the LN from where i left off which was the end of volume 4

27. Senjou Mystic Eyes of Death Perception

I figured since it's been a while there would have been more than just one chapter released from where I stopped. :catdespair

28. Vandal Savage The Magician Administrator

Seriously, at first when we changed translators I thought that this would result in faster speed but it is exactly the same if not a bit slower. Guess the anime isn't making anyone decide to read the LN and just do the translations on their own and post them. :lmao

29. Vandal Savage The Magician Administrator

30. Smoke ▄█▀ █▄ █▄█ ▀█▀

Looks like nothing interesting happens in V4. Except for Welf joining and making the dagger.