1. Fancy yourself a sleuth, evil mastermind, debating pro, and/or just plain love One Punch Man? If so, sign up for Akihabara Lounge's first Mafia game, themed on One Punch Man.

LINK

2. The latest NF Newsletter is out (July), read it here
  3. Summer Glow
    The HoU Banner Contest this time is centered on Summer time.
    The deadline is until July 23rd and you only have to click here to go straight to the information you need.

4. Ladies and gents, the Tech Hub has been archived! Any tech-related questions can go in KCC now, and make sure to use the new [Tech] tag!

Doctor Who [BBC]

Discussion in 'Television' started by Reznor, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Revan Reborn Redeemed

I miss that guy, he was great. A pity they never brought him up after Tennant.
    Did you watch torchwood?

2. Utopia Realm An immortal Wu.

Only really watched like 1/2 of an episode or 2 of DW, so I must ask where to start, where to watch and is this series great, good or meh?

3. Revan Reborn Redeemed

Season 1 of Doctor Who(2005)
    With the 9th doctor upwards.

4. Utopia Realm An immortal Wu.

Any site to watch it or should I fish around for torrents of season 1 and upwards?

5. Revan Reborn Redeemed

Doctor who season 1 watch online.

6. White Wolf

Yup I did! Was a lot of fun. Minus
    Spoiler:
    everyone randomly dying :dank

7. Revan Reborn Redeemed

Yeah, and a few moments you wish the doctor showed his face.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  8. San Juan Wolf They're even better when you're dead

Dude, one of the first thing's Missy did was call the Doctor her boyfriend.

What do you think ?

9. Kisame3rd14 Active Member

I for one would not allow a child under 10 years old watch Jack Harness, kids should be able to know right from wrong before they are brought up thinking that gay is normal.

That's my problem with Female who, does that mean River Song is bisexual? Our protagonist is trans? HaHahahaha

And fuck off to the actress that accepted this role or any actress that would, in doing so you are outright making the statement that you would disgrace a show that's rich in history just to get some leftist agenda pat on the back and participation awards. Change the title to Nurse Who, she's not deserving of the title Dr.

-RIP Dr who 1963-2019 death by progressive agenda

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  10. San Juan Wolf They're even better when you're dead

To illustrate the point of it is never enough, Anita beamed down from her spaceship and told us ignorant plebs having a female Doctor is not enough and we need to address the race, queer and trans "problems" in tandem, or else it doesn't count.

And it begins.

11. White Wolf

Then I pity your kids for being taught homophobia at such a young age.

Not like the show's said few times that the Doctor can be a woman, or that timelords have changed gender. No sir.

Damned gays be damned ruining our fantasy television harumph harumph burn at the stake.

12. Kisame3rd14 Active Member

Homophobia is a bullshit word to begin with, it implies that people fear homosexual behavior. The fact of the matter is "homophobes" disagree with deviant behavior.

Where does this shit end? When people start marrying animals? Start marrying automobiles? When people marry objects like pencils or sharpies and adopting a child who has to call said pencil mother or father? This world is going to crumble upon itself because soon kids will grow up being taught that two men or two women can properly raise a child when in reality crime in households without a mother and father has been teaching us the opposite for years.

13. Toby Detective Dollars Advisor

If the BBC is predictable, and they are to an extent, I think it's likely they will keep the gender dynamic so the next companion will be a male. An entirely female cast would alienate all the boys, and they're trying to avoid alienation - clearly.

The things is, Doctor Who does require change to work. It has pushed some boundaries, but it's a culturally family-oriented show, so it cannot change too many things at once. It tries to move with the times. That means it is both political and cultural sci fi. For the most part it's leaned towards social progress, but never radical change. The more luggage it gathers as an old show, the more campy it becomes. I don't think they can escape that and embrace radical change - and the writers aren't keen on ditching it either.

There are decent lore explanations for gender-regenerations from the old show but none of the new writers have really expressed their preference for what is canon - to reserve creative freedom for future seasons. How they retcon the old lore is still undecided, and I don't think they'll settle it entirely because keeping an air of mystery is necessary to allow the show to change continuously. All we need are hints.

The short story is that changing gender is a Time Lord feature they've engineered to bypass sterility and other laws forced on them. The limits on regenerations is also an artificial limit imposed by law, not nature.

The Time Lords were sterilised by their previous rulers, the Pythia. Rassilon led a revolution against their leadership based on technological innovation to advance their civilisation and overcome this Pythian curse. This involved radically altering their culture and replacing magic with technology.

The most canon explanation for the survival for the race are the looms, weaves that create new Time Lords by stringing together random DNA sequences. These were invented by Rassilon and also controlled by his government, which basically allowed him to develop complete population control. Understandably, that worried some people. They got a lot of power from his innovations but at the price of self-determination. So he was a bit better than the Pythians but also authoritarian like them.

Later it turned out some Time Lords weren't completely sterile, and Rassilon passed a law to deny womb-born Galleifreyans to ascend with the title of Time Lord. Some disobeyed those laws, and that's supposedly how the Doctor was born to a human and a Time Lord.

The lore universe has no explanation of what happened to looms and population control after Rassilon's death, but we are left with the explanation that some Time Lords are sterile, and some aren't. This is also related to the laws governing how many regenerations are permitted.

Without any further explanations since the relaunch of Doctor Who in 2005, I think it's fair to assume the Time Lords still use looms, and some kids are still womb-born. How much stigma remains against the natural births is a different matter. New writers can change this if they please, but completely ignoring this would be very lazy. The trick is to explain it by respecting the old lore and creating new lore that makes sense.

14. Sherlōck High Functioning Sociopath

I only watched first two episodes of this season. This season was boring as hell.

Can't wait for the 13th. She is beautiful as well.

15. San Juan Wolf They're even better when you're dead

I'd rather they just drop the loom stuff from canon. That'd probably be for the best.

And really, I meant the show would become even worse at blatantly espousing leftist views. There were already a few cringeworthy moments of that in this season. If they do an epiode propagating the myth of the wage gap, I'm out.

16. Sennin of Hardwork Tales to Astonish

18. San Juan Wolf They're even better when you're dead

A shame people ignored this. I don't remember ever seeing her in anything else.

Condolences to her friends and family.

19. White Wolf

Well...

:dank