1. The Konoha Kennel is back! As a subsection to the Chatterbox, discuss your favorite fauna-related topics at a fun and laid-back pace. From animals to zoos, it's your one-stop destination for critter lovers!

Daily Workouts: What Did You Do Today?

Discussion in 'Health & Lifestyle Forum Archive' started by Bryan Paulsen, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan Paulsen Fitness Q and A

The thread title says it all - what did you do for a workout today?

Are you training for something in particular, or just to stay in shape?

My (laughably weak) workout was (warm-ups not included, primarily focused on powerlifting):

Friday:
    BB Seated Military Press: 145x5, 165x5, 185x6
    DB Incline Bench: 95x6x6x6x6x6
    Neutral-Grip Pullups: BWx4x4x3x2x2
    Shoulder Horn: 20x20x20

BW= Body-Weight

It reads as "Weight x Number of Reps x Number of Reps", etc.

I suck at Pullups. The Shoulder Horn is a piece of "pre-hab" equipment I purchased for the rotator cuff, very useful and has kept my rotator cuffs in better condition than they were before ever lifting heavy. The weight listed for DB Incline/Shoulder Horn is the DBs in each hand, just in case someone thinks that was the combined weight of the two DBs...

Fun, light stuff, today was movements addressing weaknesses I have in pressing movements. You're only as strong as your weakest link.

2. zantha Active Member

i do at lest half an hour of tai chi a day.

3. Elphaba Active Member

I haven't done anything today yet, but throughout the week I rotate between cardio (jogging, usually, but I'll soon start cross-training with jogging, swimming and surfing, now that it's "summer" weather where I live) and resistance training.

I'm considering picking up martial arts this summer, but I think I'll consider a job first and go from there. Maybe once or twice a week classes.

4. Alex. ̣

I usually do some sit-ups in the morning and go for a jog when time permits and the weather's fine.Also I ride my bike on weekends...other than that nothing really.

5. Comic Book Guy Cassandra Cain Fanboy Advisor

Lots, and lots of walking. Some badminton wrist hits. None planned.

6. Koppachino I'm Hungry

Jogging, crunches, pull-ups and push-ups; I don't lift weights.

7. Cirus Banned

My workouts can very from weight lifting, running, walking, to even golf (yes I condiser golf as an exercise). Today I went out for 9 holes of golf, and walked them all. Felt really good in my opinion.

8. ctizz36 The Awesomest Person Ever

I did a lot of walking at my job... does that count?

9. Cirus Banned

While walking is a good source of exercise, but just doing it at your job really doesn't count. Still though if you are into the walking aspect then I recomend that you try going to your local mall and just walking in circles around the place.

10. Haze rip XXXL UT

I woke up early to do yoga before going to work. :amuse I'm surprise I'm still up.

11. Batman M.I.S.

Martial arts training for about 5 hrs. I won't get into the specifics but it was a lot. . . sooo tired. :naruyawn

12. Bryan Paulsen Fitness Q and A

Saturday:
    Squat: 215x5, 245x5, 275x7
    Hack Squat: 3Px8x8x8x8
    Cable Incline Crunches: 100x20x20x20

My body feels like it is waking up again, finally, on squatting. Everything on my back feels feather light. For some there's hard work obtaining what you've lost, for everyone else there's muscle memory...315 is going to get smoked on the 3rd Wave.

3P refers to 3 45 pound plates on each side of the machine, so 6 plates total.

All reps on all squatting movements were done until it was biomechanically impossible to go deeper (hamstrings thoroughly mashed against calves).

I wish every workout was this easy... :)

13. Cirus Banned

You are lucky that you have muscle memory. When I stop doing pushups for a while it takes me a very very long time to get back up to what I was at. Same with running and other workouts. I envy you because of that.

14. Bryan Paulsen Fitness Q and A

The muscle memory won't be as big a deal as I approach old bests, which I'm still far off on...

Also, muscular endurance is harder to recover (cellular metabolism of energy substrates is more important than CNS innervation of MUs in that case, the former being more slow than the latter to recover).

15. Cirus Banned

Good points on such things. Muscular endurance is something that I am trying to increase right now rather then actual muscle mass.

I do have one question for you on working out if you don't mind.

I have been trying to increase the amount of pushups I can do but I seem to be at a wall of 45 in one min and can't break that. What would recomend that I do in order so I can do better at it?

16. Xion 終わり

Sadly I sat in one place for like 12 hours and studied operations management information for finals.

Oh...and I ate six slices of cheese pizza. :hurr

17. Batman M.I.S.

Were they heavy slices? :awesome

18. Xion 終わり

No. But they were yummy. :druul

I would've eaten more, but I didn't want to feel fat. :hurr

19. Bryan Paulsen Fitness Q and A

I'm focusing on muscular strength, not really muscle mass. It'll come, but just as an adaptive response...

If you can, have someone identify at what point you've achieved X number of reps.

So, at the 10 second mark, 20 second mark, etc., have someone mark how many you've got. Most people are going to run out of energy around the 1-min mark anyway, which is why it turns into an issue of grinding out reps.

If you can identify the time-frame that you do the best in (let's say performance is highest for the first 30 seconds), then you can try to improve the density of work in that time-frame.

Drop the negatives out, don't bother to try controlling them, it'll just cause more muscular fatigue. Negatives refers to the portion where you lower yourself - don't do it smooth and under control - drop and explode. Dropping will force small amounts of time where there is no muscular fatigue - think of it like "clap pushups", the idea is similar. In weight-lifting you always have to control it, not so for movements that are inherently safer like pushups.

Pacing doesn't work all that well, either, because it forces you to move more slowly, decreasing the amount of work you can do due to the TUT (Time Under Tension) you're already under, because the up position of a pushup requires isometric strength. This isn't like running.

Finally, identify the muscle(s) that fail first, endurance-wise, and focus on working in pushups that put bigger emphasis on them. Variety is a good thing.

So:

#1) Change the rep cadance to drop and explode.
    #2) Improve the amount of work you can do in smaller amounts of time once you know your performance breakdown.
    #3) Don't pace yourself.
    #4) Address weakness(es).

20. Cirus Banned

Cool. Thanks for the tips. It has been something I have been stuck at for a while and have been trying to get past.

21. Vanity away fighting dragons

I basically just go for walks(and yes I went for one today). XD Perhaps I should try to get a bit of muscle in my arms though.

22. Vetano-sama 7&2 - Where's your god now?

Well Today I didn't do anything yet. Gotta do 4 sets of crunches soon tho (as many reps as I can do per set).

Weather sucks so yeah, I'd be cycling otherwise!

Anyway here's my yesterday's workout:

Shoulders:
    3 sets Alternate Shoulder Press - 12 reps each set (11lbs per dumbbell)
    3 sets of Side Raises - 12 reps each set (11lbs per dumbbell)
    3 sets of Reverse Flys for shoulders - 8 reps each set (11lbs per dumbbell)

Legs:
    6 sets of Lunges - 10 reps each set (15lbs per dumbbell)

Abs:
    2 sets of crunches - as many reps as I can do
    2 sets of bycicles - as many reps as I can do

Tomorrow is chest/triceps day =D

Yeah I'm not that strong. At least I'm enjoying my workouts :wink
    Also gonna buy protein powder soon, as I lack protein in my current nutrition.

PS: I'm only 132lbs and I'm 5 feet 11 inches tall.
    I think I'm weak ):

23. CrazyMoronX Old Man

Well, I haven't done anything today.

However, here's what I'll be doing tomorrow (with any luck):

Flat DB Bench: 65x5, 70x5, 75x5, 80x5, 85x5
    Lat pulldown: 130x5, 140x5, 150x5, 160x5, 170x5
    Leg press: 225x8, 315x8, 365x8, 385x8, 405x8

We'll see how it pans out. I haven't been able to do the 5th sets at those reps yet. It's arranged in a tri-set of Lats, leg press, then bench with a 3 minute rest between sets.

24. Bryan Paulsen Fitness Q and A

Good luck with that workout, mine is coming later tonight. I'm going to be working up to a 255 BB Flat Bench, BW+75 Dips, and 225 BB Row. I'll decide how many sets/reps of each I end up doing as I do it. The weights are all +20 lbs. from last time.

25. CrazyMoronX Old Man

I remember when I used to be able to bench 250+. Good times. Good, fat times. :-(

I'm working my way back up there, but I'm more focused on getting a picture-perfect body right now. Strength is secondary since I'm not out busting skulls--yet. :kaga

26. Cirus Banned

Today my workout comprised of a hour long power walk, and some light weight lifting. Still right now I think I should increase the amount I workout.

27. chocy Active Member

I just skipped 4000 times earlier this morning. I ran and walked a total of 10km last Sunday but that gave me several muscle aches.:D:

28. Bryan Paulsen Fitness Q and A

My follow-up to this:

Monday:
    BB Flat Bench: 195x3, 225x3, 255x6
    Dips: BW+75x5x5x5x5x5
    BB Rows: 225x6x6x6x6x6
    Shoulder Horn: 20x20x20

I expected 255x5 (only had to do 3), but got 6 on Bench. Yay for strength returning at a decent pace.

Dips/Rows were cake. The weights will continue to rise for both...

Shoulder Horn was more pre-hab work to keep the rotator cuff safe.

Fun workout.

29. Vetano-sama 7&2 - Where's your god now?

Going to the gym with class in roughly 1 hour.

Today's Chest, Triceps day =D

Chest:
    3 sets of Dumbbell Fly - 12 reps (30lbs)
    3 sets of Dumbbell Press - 12 reps (30lbs)
    3 sets of Pushups - as many reps as I can do

Triceps:
    3 sets of French Press - 8 reps (15 lbs)
    3 sets of Dumbbell Kickbacks - 10 reps (22 lbs)

Abs:
    4 sets of Crunches - as many reps as I can do

I guess that's it. o:

30. Bryan Paulsen Fitness Q and A

That looks like a fun workout.

I rode my bike for 4 miles today at a medium pace, the weather is gorgeous today.

31. CrazyMoronX Old Man

I wish I had a bike; I'd ride it. Possibly to work.

I'll let you know how my workout goes tonight. With any luck, I'll impress the gym ladies so much they'll throw themselves at my masculine feet.

32. Bryan Paulsen Fitness Q and A

I train at the Kolosseum in Anaheim, CA - it's got many gear* users, and competitive bodybuilders. There's really no eye candy, unlike most gyms. That's mostly a good thing, since when we do occasionally get a woman in there she looks scared to death between the guys usually being huge, and her getting looked at by everyone. smile-big

*gear = AAS = steroids. I use them interchangeably.

Good luck with your workout tonight.

33. Cirus Banned

Today I did a 2 mile jog. I just didn't feel like I was into it, and didn't feel like I got anything out of it. I think I am loosing my drive to go an work out.

34. Batman M.I.S.

Making a transition to knuckle pushups. They're a bit harder possibly because I'm working different muscles but I can still bang out a fair few.

60 x 50 x 50 x 30 x 30 was what my sets looked like. I also did stretching for about 30 minutes before working the heavy bag for about an hour. My kicks are getting to be pretty nasty. I should have done more but there was a book I wanted to buy so I stopped after that. I'm gonna have to really work my mid section tomorrow and the next day otherwise I'll get my ass handed to me on Saturday.

35. CrazyMoronX Old Man

Well, I managed to do almost everything I went for last night.

I got 170x5 on lat pulldowns, but only got 3 reps on bench at 85. Shit's too heavy. :C

Leg press wasn't that good either.

36. Bonten &#160

I don't really count how many I do of whatever.

Did press-ups, weights and went for a walk in the morning today. Feel great.

37. CrazyMoronX Old Man

How many weights did you do, you sly dog, you?

38. Bonten &#160

What like the weight of them or how many times I lift them?

I'm not a massive work-out fiend, as you can tell. :lmao

They're 20lbs for each arm and I do 50 curls in sets of 10, then the umm above head ones, 50 of them, then ones where I just lift them out from my sides.

I've just started working out again for the summer. lawl

39. CrazyMoronX Old Man

And here I was hoping for some kind of illicit affair between you and a set of barbell plates. :-(

40. Bonten &#160

Sorry to disappoint, CMX.

If for some reason I stop working out then I think that's what'll happen though, so don't be down in the dumps about it just yet. ;p

41. Cirus Banned

I rode my bike today for about half an hour. It felt good to get out and do it, but I probably could have pushed myself a little harder on it to get more of a workout.

42. Mar Azul ?Que Bien!

I walk/jog for 45 minutes to an hour every day. I love it!

43. Bryan Paulsen Fitness Q and A

Wednesday:
    Deadlift: 265x3, 305x3, 345x5
    High Pullthroughs: 200x15x15x15x15
    Hanging Leg Raises: BWx16x9x7

Energy was low in comparison to Monday, still did more reps than I needed to with 345 (only had to do 3).

Pullthroughs made me feel like all the blood in my body concentrated in my lower back.

Hanging Leg Raises were done hanging from a pull-up bar, bringing feet over my head on each rep. Every set was done to failure.

Good workout. Could've been worse with how it felt entering the gym.

44. Cirus Banned

I understand why you are working so hard at the gym. Though I keep asking myself one question and I figure you will be able to answer it. Why work the muscles to the point of exhaustion? Will the benifits it gives be more then if you do just a certain numbe of reps?

45. Bryan Paulsen Fitness Q and A

The only muscle I really exhausted tonight was abs since the sets were to failure. I normally don't do anything to failure, but these are a special case since after tonight, and the time I do them next week, it's the last time I'll be doing them for a long time.

I usually leave a little in the tank on most movements for safety and CNS fatigue reasons. If I wanted I could've done another set, maybe two, on High Pullthroughs, and if I had to, I could've deadlifted 345 for 8 reps.

But then I'd feel like shit, be unable to wake up tomorrow, and would be so fatigued that my next workout would see me not getting the numbers I need to. With the years of experience I have, I have an intuitive feel for how much I should push myself, hence the amount of work I end up doing each workout.

The only time I really go balls out is towards the end of a loading wave if I'm feeling really good. So next week, if there's a day I feel great, then I may really push my limits. That way, when I feel like hot garbage the next day, a deload is coming up right around the corner (in a deload the workouts are backed way off in intensity).

Other than that, I just do the numbers/percentages I'm supposed to, a rep or two more if I feel it's not a big deal, and do a little bit more than last time on other things. If I don't feel I can progress on a movement, I change it out for something else that works the same set of muscles.

Powerlifting is a marathon, not a sprint...at least when it comes to the process of building numbers up.

46. Cirus Banned

Good explination. That seems cool and all. It has alot of good information. I know here in a week I am going to have to increase my own workouts for the next couple of months to get ready for my annual physical fitness assesment.

Though I hope that you are able to get back to what you are trying to get to and nothing goes wrong.

47. Bryan Paulsen Fitness Q and A

Friday:
    Military Press: 165x3, 185x3, 205x4
    DB Incline Bench: 100x5x5x5x5x5
    Neutral-Grip Pullups: BWx6x5x4x4x4

Energy was better than Wednesday night, and that's always something to be thankful for.

I was satisfied with all of the lifts, but most happy with the improvement in pullups, something I've always been horrible at due to some instability in my left shoulder girdle during the movement. It gets better as I strengthen the surrounding muscles though, which means it is a problem that can be remedied to some extent. Next week I had better push Military Press/DB Incline as hard as I can, because they're getting replaced afterwards.

I look forward to squatting tomorrow.

48. Bryan Paulsen Fitness Q and A

Saturday:
    Squat: 235x3, 265x3, 295x5
    Hack Squat: 3P+25x7x7x7x7
    Cable Incline Crunches: 120x20x20x20

Energy was fantastic. A nice follow-up to yesterday. Hopefully I don't see a "down" workout all of next week.

Squatting was easy, the bar continues to feel light on my back.

Hack Squat was 3 45 lbs. plates on each side, with another 25 lbs. plate on each side. All reps on the first two movements were done with full range of motion, no stopping at parallel.

Abs were easy.

Great workout. Next week will be fun.

49. Cirus Banned

Today I took a hour break at work (because I am allowed an hour to go to the gym) and ran a mile and a half just to release some stress. I did it in about 12 to 13 min. Though hopefully in the future I will be able to improve upon that time.

50. Dream Brother Active Member

I just use my rowing machine at the moment, combined with a bit of light shadow-boxing beforehand to get warmed up. I try to add a minute to my overall time each day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.