1. Fancy yourself a sleuth, evil mastermind, debating pro, and/or just plain love One Punch Man? If so, sign up for Akihabara Lounge's first Mafia game, themed on One Punch Man.

LINK

2. The latest NF Newsletter is out (July), read it here
  3. Summer Glow
    The HoU Banner Contest this time is centered on Summer time.
    The deadline is until July 23rd and you only have to click here to go straight to the information you need.

4. Ladies and gents, the Tech Hub has been archived! Any tech-related questions can go in KCC now, and make sure to use the new [Tech] tag!

[D&D 3.5/Pathfinder] End of Days (Registration Closed) - Part 10

Discussion in 'OOC Lounge' started by Reznor, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Unlosing Ranger The Heart Ignites

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/splinter-spell-resistance/
    best I can do.
    There is a spell called lower spell resistance for clerics that lowers it up to 15.
    Should be able to get it down by 20.

2. soulnova Hello Kyuubi

Needs a Fortitude Save though... that thing should have like Fort+30. lol

3. Unlosing Ranger The Heart Ignites

It'd fail the save eventually, I mean 50+ attacks worth of it alone?

4. Unlosing Ranger The Heart Ignites

It's kind of sad how life has kept this back. :/ Between jobs and schools and families, it doesn't seem like many of us even have time anymore.

6. soulnova Hello Kyuubi

8. EvilMoogle Administrator Administrator

I'm on vacation this week. Planning on posting and moving things along when I get back though.

9. Unlosing Ranger The Heart Ignites

10. Unlosing Ranger The Heart Ignites

The Exp chart for a RP game I'm working on.
    Took a while to go from level 1(20 exp) to level 99(10 million)

11. soulnova Hello Kyuubi

Do you have a screen of the correct format?

It's a little hard on the eyes.

12. Unlosing Ranger The Heart Ignites

It'd be easier if NF had a table format option.
    Resolution is 1920 x 1080 for my monitor.

13. Unlosing Ranger The Heart Ignites

15. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

This actually illustrates one of my gripes with 3e/3.5

"Max Dex" doesn't really make sense. I understand some sort of penalty to Dex for wearing armor (though as the video shows it's not as big as you might imagine), but you can't tell me that someone with Olympic quality dexterity wouldn't still be more dexterous than the average fellow when wearing heavy armor (assuming they have sufficient strength to wear the armor).

16. Unlosing Ranger The Heart Ignites

Flying to Disney World tomorrow! Lets hope everything goes smoothly!!

18. EvilMoogle Administrator Administrator

19. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

After a lot of internal debate I've decided it's probably better to officially end this.

I've enjoyed the campaign immensely and I'm still looking forward to a lot of the exciting things I had planned, but RL is making maintaining all the different things involved with this extra difficult and I don't know that I'm going to have the motivation to do so any time in the future (I'd like to say "it's almost Summer" but over the last few years RL has kept me more busy during the Summer than it does during the rest of the year).

I know it's a cruddy place to leave things since it leaves a lot of things up in the air but I don't think that I can clean things up in a way that would do the rest of the campaign justice.

I do have a few small offerings that might be at least some good news.

First, since I want closure as much as anyone, I'll be happy to answer most questions about the world, the various threads and mechanisms going on behind the scenes, and what I had planned for the future (in theory I'll keep things I might use later secret but nothing comes to mind immediately there. Some character build specifics are my trade secrets that I'll bring to the grave though :zaru ). So please feel free to ask away if you are so inclined.

Second I have been interested in world building lately, and I've got notes for a new campaign world. I'd like to flesh it out to be a more "real" world than the half-hacked-together world I have here (was it ever named? Htare probably? :zaru ). I've got the general notes sketched out and a first draft of the map but I probably have a couple of weeks more to flesh it out.

My plan at this time is to start a new campaign based on this, with a much simpler "treasure hunters" type role (which is not to say that there won't be the occasional epic quest but rather that the party has a concrete goal of exploring ruins and seeking treasure out rather than trying to keep a world from falling apart, my theory is this will make the DM job easier to manage).

Everything said, thank you all for being a part of this world and I hope that you enjoyed at least some of the time here.

20. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

What was Kaylee, and why was she reincarnated so many times?

What was Lantana and her story?

WERE WE GOING TO SAVE THE WORLD!?

I had many questions and I will be back I'm sure.

21. EvilMoogle Administrator Administrator

Oh, hey, now that I'm home and thinking of it I was going to introduce these homebrew classes when we got to epic levels. There's some cool stuff here so if you're bored give them a read:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/show...ic-Prestige-(Completed)&p=13461614&viewfull=1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?247756-Librim-Eternia-Tome-of-Epic-Prestige-(Completed)&p=13461614&viewfull=1)

The "major threats" all had planned out archtypes from those.

Well, "reincarnated" isn't strictly speaking correct. But that's kind of besides the point.

Kaylee was God. Or rather the "high god" or The-One-Above-All or Ao or whatever name you want to give Her.

In the particular mythos I was working from she was specifically the one that created all the other gods. And then the gods started fighting, which she didn't particularly like so she sat them all down and made them agree on some ground rules. She then created the multiverse and the Htare in order to let them fight by proxy.

But even then watching her "kids" fight wasn't exactly something that she liked so she sealed herself inside the chamber under the Silent City, presumably to take a break for a while.

Surprisingly (if indeed She could be surprised) a pair of humans studying the Silent City managed to break into her chamber and wake her up (with their pet golem Ironwall who was crafted for this task). Unfortunatelly the humans didn't survive being exposed to that magnitude of power but it awakened her curiosity about this world and she decided to wander it.

So she sealed a lot of her power and her divine knowledge away and started wandering.

However even wandering as a "human" took it's toll on her, as the strain of experiences began to build on her. So from time to time she pushed away her memories and started over (which is what "other Kaylee" was, the part of her that was "forced to remember" all of Kaylee's past lives, but still didn't know what Kaylee was).

I actually really lucked out when Kaylee picked her second class that she didn't choose Cleric (which with the high Wisdom would have really made sense) since it would have been difficult to explain exactly what god She would worship.

Well, that's a complicated question.

Oh, you probably want more than that. Well.

"Lantana" was a fiction, the drug addicted prostitute that looked unusually like Makenna never existed. She was manufactured, the "faceless man" kidnapped a young assassin, had her altered to look like Makenna (based only on descriptions since at the time Makenna was rather busy being dead). Then he proceeded to beat her savagely and subject her to a barrage of drugs to cause sufficient damage to her mind to shatter her memories and leave her adrift.

Then he killed her and ate her brain because the faceless man was a greater doppleganger (http://www.roleplaynexus.com/greaterdoppleganger.html) who can duplicate the knowledge, personality, and abilities of anyone who's brain was thus consumed. He was also the assassin archtype in the mirrors and one of the "major threats" that would have to eventually be addressed.

His plan was to get close to the party who, at that time, had some pretty sizable bounties on their heads. Killing or capturing a few of them would have been worth the effort. Once he met them he was somewhat distracted by the unusual abilities so he hung around for a time to find out more (as powerful abilities were worth more than gold to him).

"Lantana" was initially planned to be introduced to make a quick assassination strike at the party, but due to a bunch of circumstances he never got a clear shot at a "good" target.

Long term I was actually open to the idea that the "Lantana" personality might somehow "win" against the greater doppelganger ("Lantana" was a psychic class afterall), so when Yuki decided to move in on the romance I figured I'd see where it went (ironically Yuki was "safe" as a target because of her connection to the fire Djinn).

Well, that would have been up to the party. Parts of it at least, I would hope :amuse

The pretense of the story was always that this is the end of the Age, the story that future generations would refer to as "back in the age of legends" or whatever. Granted that itself infers a degree of a "fall" but I would expect life would go on.

Sure, I'm not going anywhere so ask 'em when you think of them :)

22. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

Y'know, the funniest thing there is the fact that Kuno and I had been joking about that in many occasions. ESPECIALLY after the Limbo trip.

:scry Poor Lantana. Kid went through a lot, I'm determined that some sort of happy ending happened! I DON'T KNOW WHAT, BUT SHE MUST BE PROTECTED! LET HER BE HAPPY YOU SADISTIC BASTARD!

Well, as much of a cynical and sadistic little shit as I am, I imagine a best case scenario. Especially leaving like this.

Oh! Nissa, she follow her dreeeaaamssss!?

Does Duncan know he banged God? On multiple occasions?

To be continued tomorrow I'm sure...

23. Vergil Busy procrastinating

I'm pretty sure that everyone here knows that Duncan was an evil alignment now? He took enough damage from Tassy to give that one away. XD

Duncan banged a God. Fuck yeah - can't get too much better than that. Go on son!

Did you have any plans for Duncan at all? I liked the fact that he was with the assassin guild and wished I could have explored that more.

What did you have planned for BlackRose?

24. Unlosing Ranger The Heart Ignites

What was Makenna's overall destiny and how much of it changed due to the party?

25. EvilMoogle Administrator Administrator

Well, if you want a frame of reference I worked out a "worst case" scenario a while ago just out of idle amusement.

In that scenario Magebane would have continued to destabilize things for a while, but eventually would have been dealt with with one of the remaining powers-that-be. But the chaos unleashed by him would have taken it's toll. The "Black Wind" would have consumed most of the wilds and spread quickly through Dnalgne making that into a no-mans land with essentially no living creatures there.

Naisrep would have held out against the "Black Wind" but eventually their deals with devils would bite them and much of the land would be overtaken with devils and demons with humans there acting more as a slave caste than anything else.

Eomr would have collapsed due to the pressures from Naisrep and pressures from Orcs fleeing the Wilds ahead of the black death. Most of that country would be a more wild state, with violent bands of orcs and other Wilds creatures clamining new territory but acting as a buffer between Ylati and the undead and devils/demons wandering the rest of the continent.

Ylati would have crumpled but merging with refugees from Eomr (and Naisrep and Dnalgne) eventually would have held a semblance of civilization. Likely ruled by remaining powerful mages in small fifes that vary dramatically from one city to the next.

But humanity and hope remain and eventually new heroes would rise up to take on the challenges of this new age.

Follow? Yes. Achieve? Probably not. But her dreams were always about overcoming what was feasible, the fact that she continued to fight and work towards them was more meaningful than any sort of achievement ever would be.

No. (For that matter for the record neither Vergil nor Kuno had any information on Kaylee beyond what was hinted about in the thread)

The most recent plan for Duncan was actually going to lead him to the "Faceless Man," and potentially expose Lantana (or at least expose the fact that a shapeshifting assassin was out there somewhere). I didn't really have any grandeous plans for the assassins guild stuff in general.

Probably eventually would have built to a confrontation when Duncan was given a target that he wouldn't accept (go kill the child of noble XYZ or whatever).

Nothing whatsoever, sorry :amuse

Though I did find it personally amusing every time she was brought up as being behind something or a potential threat. 'cause she was probably out there doing stuff, I just never really assigned her as the resource behind anything. If she had came up it would have been mostly random.

I'll answer this one when I get to work in an hour (and any other questions that are posted before then).

26. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

Well, like most characters Makenna didn't really have an explicitly planned "destiny" that the character was going to go. I hate tying the hands of my NPCs like that, they should react to situations in more or less the same way that players do.

My original plan for Makenna was, understandably, originally much different. I didn't expect that the party would end up bringing her with them when she had no excuses for combat ability. Initially I had a quest in mind where a noble (in Ylati, though specifically doesn't matter) would approach the party to deal with a duelist that is besmirching the noble's honor and he needs a champion to deal with her.

The backstory was basically that some time after the party left Makenna would get the urge to wander and see the world. In Ylati she would run afoul of said noble who wants to make sport of her for perceived offense. Through her innate abilities she manages to come out ahead in this, which is a black mark on the honor of the noble so he sends progressively stronger (/more expensive) guards and champions to fight her, ultimately resulting in her becoming a sort of legendary duelist.

Build wise she probably would have been slightly less defensive focused in that alternate reality, but not much would have changed. She wouldn't have dueled with her fire form (obviously) but she probably would have been awakened to it before the party met her again.

All in all it was probably more interesting that she tagged along with the party even if that wasn't my initial plan.

Makenna did have a fleshed out "death scene" in my mind (though not something I would have necessarily arranged, just an idle writing exercise) sacrificed herself hold back an army of creatures with a mystically empowered wall (sphere) of fire, giving the party time to go find and defeat the ultimate bad guy. Endowing fire with her essence and finally fulfilling her father's goal of teaching the flames to dance.

27. Unlosing Ranger The Heart Ignites

How many times did we catch you off guard? :zaru

28. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

A number. Dunno the exact count but there were a bunch of times I had to do a "wait, they want to do what? How would that even work?" Generally with stuff that you guys didn't know the full backstory of what's going on, but....

29. Captain Obvious is a fightin lass

What were your future plans for yuki?

What about kaylee?

Do you have a favorite 'what the fuck?' moment?

(I'm willing to answer questions about yuki, if anyone has any)

30. WorkingMoogle Well-Known Member

The Black Wind was a legendary necromancer, one of the ones actually mentioned as a legend back way back when (the "silvery mist" or something?). She retreated to the area that eventually became the wilds and more or less has been retired there for millennia. Eventually ascended to lichdom, and with her already powerful creating-undead abilities ascended even higher.

She actually has a rough character sheet, I'll have to dig it up at home though, it's not apparently on my google drive.

Please, planning anything around Yuki would have been an exercise in futility :zaru

I was generally waiting for good times for the Efreeti to cause problems for her, I didn't want to over-use that but expected eventually that would lead to a catastrophic problem. I was curious how the Lantana/Yuki situation would resolve itself, but never really had firm plans there.

Well, along the same vein I don't really have "plans" for PCs because that limits their freedom to grow. In general I was expecting Kaylee to eventually gain knowledge of Her true nature, and most of her "bonuses" were based around achieving godhood (or re-awaking to it as the case may be).

She did make me nervous in the sense that I could have quickly gotten painted into a corner if things had gone wrong in some places. But thankfully (due to luck and in some cases Kuno's good nature) we avoided them.

Yuki's suicide-to-gain-power moment. I was so wonderfully absurd :zaru