1. The Konoha Kennel is back! As a subsection to the Chatterbox, discuss your favorite fauna-related topics at a fun and laid-back pace. From animals to zoos, it's your one-stop destination for critter lovers!

Cowboy Bebop

Discussion in 'Akihabara TV Channel' started by Fuzzy_Eyebrows, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Molekage I live!...? Maybe.

question, how close is this bebop to champloon? i'm aware that they are done by the same dude. i watched champloon and didn't think much of it, but now i've picked up bebop and like it a lot. so far it seems to carry a plot better than champloon, and actually have some degree of tangible character development. is that true of the whole? i've only seen 8 eps. apologies if this has been asked before.

2. Hokage Naruto Active Member Advisor

Its close on episode structure like every episode reveals something about each character and they both have great soundtracks.

Cowboy Bebop, fanboys? That?s a first.

I really like Cowboy Bebop. Yes, it was an overall superb anime but it?s that how I watched it made me like it even more.

A few years back, Cowboy Bebop was probably just premiering or on its rotation of the season on AdultSwim. I found Bebop around 7/8th grade, around a time when I wasn't really a person to stay up past 10 o' clock. On a school night around 11:30/12:00, I had stood up to finish a project than I flipped on the TV and found a trailer of old people swimming (Adult Swim's old trailer) and I was about to flip when I saw the introduction song. I fell in love with the fighting in that very episode, and enjoyed the music. It had felt I just finished a short movie. So from than on, on school nights I stood up to watch all 26 episodes of Bebop and the movie.

As I re-watch from time to time, I start picking up things that I didn't see before and I just find how better and ahead of its time it was. All the characters on the Bebop had there own personas and different pasts. They have lost loved ones, there weird hobos and attitudes, sometimes. Spike is my favorite because one episode/moment he is acting all loony and the following moment he is serious. Spike said the right words and most of the time knew what he was in for and knows his surrounds.

All the Spike and Vicious episodes were awesome since the tension of each episode was cliffhanging. Sword against a gun, both former partners of a crime syndicate. Than they'd play Ballad of Fallen Angels after/during those episodes and gave a sentimental feel to each episode. The ending of Cowboy Bebop was a great/unexpected one. Not a lot of animes at the time of Bebop's release would pull something like that; even today it doesn't happen.

The movie was as great as the series. With Spike seeing a near perfect reflection of himself through Vincent Volaju and seeing Spike deal with him. The music was to perfection, too. It was a fascinating site to see most of the Bebop characters merged into that episode and the movie withheld many favorite quotes of mine.

The soundtrack with the series going on was amazing. The soundtrack by itself is good but not godly. Only the opening (Tank!)/Ending song (Real Folk Blues) and a few lyrical tracks save the album from just becoming an ordinary OST but one that stands out.

Sadly, Cowboy Bebop isn't being seen that much. Barely, anyone in my school watches it. Only, 3 out 30 people in my anime club watch it and they call themselves 'hardcore'. In my opinion, Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo were both animes I enjoyed watching every episode. Though, I don't really like people comparing animes of present to Cowboy Bebop since Bebop was made over 8-10 years ago. People should at least recognize Cowboy Bebop as ahead of its time, that?s what I think.

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  3. chaoserver User of the chaos jutsu

Question about bebops last episode.

When Spikes goings for Vicious why does the upper story explode seemingly without reason?

On a random note the vanishing star was a nice ending effect :cry

4. Hokage Naruto Active Member Advisor

I think Spike had placed some bombs on his way to the tower and denoated them to take out anyone protecting Vicious so that it would be one on one. Or it could've been Vicious' version of defense of his castle, which I doubt.

That was great. Running Bull (The Indian Storyteller) is awesome with his mini-speech to Jet.

5. Molekage I live!...? Maybe.

poor spike. i wanted him to get with faye :cry

anyone know where to get the sound traks for bebop? the music is friggin awesome in this anime

6. Nost Key Framer

funny strangely enough thats whats playing on my stereo right now, off my flatmates ipod... awesome sounds track.
    I managed to find a torrent download with every soundtrack included which was alot eaiser than trying to find all the songs spearately.
    try X
    or X
    they are probably where i found it... cant remember exactly sorry, and it was ages ago...

7. Molekage I live!...? Maybe.

THANKS!

i hated bebops ending. anime so good though

8. Nost Key Framer

what!!! i loved the ending,
    sure its sad but its also real,
    It made it a closed story.
    Because bebop was only a 26 episode series i think it had to get to the point and close off, which is what it did. Nicely.

as for the soundtracks,
    clickly this: X

9. itachi san Member

I just finished watching the anime and i gotta say i liked it, I still have to watch the movie I was just wondering where bouts the movie fits in with the anime is it after the end or near the start or middle or nothing to do with the storyline

10. Sasuke X ~Nyan Nyan~

The movie takes place before the ending of the anime, somewhere between episode 23 and 24.

The story of the movie shares no connection with the story of the anime. Spike talks about his past once or twice, but apart from that there's nothing linking the story of the anime and movie together.

Spoiler: Anime Spoiler
    And, just in case you didn't get it, Spike does die at the end of the anime. The star vanishing at the end of the credits made it crystal clear to those who decided to watch until the very end of the final episode. :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  11. Slips Fuck off

Oh tis one of the few animes that left me satisfied with then ending

I was expecting it tbh but it was still well done

Bang

12. Sasuke X ~Nyan Nyan~

I don't understand why some people didn't like the ending. Didn't people understand the show?

Spoiler: Anime Spoiler
    Spike never felt truly alive during his time on the Bebop. He charged into every dangerous situation, never caring if he lived or died. Spike wanted death, he wanted the "dream" to end. The trigger for Spike to "awaken" was for Julia, the woman who stood between Spike and Vicious in the past, to become involved in his life again. Spike didn't want to go on living once Julia had passed away, so he decided to explain to Jet in his own way, say goodbye and go face his destiny. He survived all the other battles because it wasn't his time, this time however it was his time.

Life doesn't usually have a happy ending, especially not when you're involved with a crime syndicate. It would've been very lame if it ended with Spike charging up to the top, killed Vicious and walking away with the woman. The perfect ending isn't always a happy one.

Bang.

13. Haohmaru The Legendary Samurai

Amen. Preach, brother smile-big

14. AssFace Member

should I keep watching cowboy bebop? It's getting REAL boring

I've watched 15 episodes of it already, with only about 5 of them being relevant to the main story. I mean what the fuck man, most of the episodes they freaking ever aired seem to be nothing more than fillers.

I mean, god this story shouldn't take more than ten episodes to complete, but it ended up having freaking twenty six. Is there any point for me to keep watching it?

Given the action is awesome, but the awesome action can only keep me entertained for so long. Does this anime get any better? I am really not in the mood to keep watching all thier freaking fillers.

15. Catterix is a super awesome

There's a Main story? What?!

LOL You're just like me, except that I had a bit more tolerance. Cowboy Bebop is a bit of a strain really, but that's because its not like most other animes.

Its much more like western TV shows where each episode is nearly entirely episodic.

Just watch each episode as their own, forgetting the over-reigning plot, because every episode is very relevant, but more in character interaction than anything else.

Cowboy Bebop is not just a TV show, its an experience.

I really would suggest watching it to the end, you'll be glad you did. Its a genius anime, one of the reasons being because its so different from most formulaic ones. You've only got another 10 episodes to go. Enjoy them one at a time and you'll really appreciate the shows brilliance.

16. Wesley Guess who it is!?

I think there's probably two more episodes worth watching before the last couple of episodes. Though everything really does suck after The Ballad of Fallen Angels.

17. AssFace Member

. . . the best episode I've watched was when spike met up with vicious for the first time again, and after that it shows a bunch of missions. If most of the series goes on with a bunch of filler episodes, I don't think I"d like it.

But I'm going to finish it anyways, spike and viscious's relationship is way interesting though, despite most of the show being a drag.

18. Wesley Guess who it is!?

Well, the episodes are standalone for the most part. They nearly never catch anyone alive, so it leaves you wondering how they're managing to keep the ship running, let alone staved off starvation.

Spike has two big fights before the final battle with Vicious. One is vs. a character named Cowboy Andy, and another where Spike fights...a very powerful and unorthdox oppenent.

19. Sasuke X ~Nyan Nyan~

There's some pretty interesting non-Vicious episodes coming up, mainly the ones that tell you about Jet and Faye's past. Episode 8 (guess you didn't like it?) and 20 are also up there, I always enjoy re-watching them.

The final two episodes will probably make you forgive CP for only having 5 episodes with Vicious in. I didn't like the series at first myself, even episode 5 didn't do it for me! And guess what? I now own the entire series (for £60 :/) on DVD, one of three full anime series I own on DVD.

Also, if you haven't already, you should watch the CP movie before episode 24. If you only like stuff that sticks to the main plot like glue, you'll enjoy the movie much more than the series.

20. KoumaKyuuKetsuki Legendary

I love it all. The whole series. plus the movie. Cowboy Bebop is just an all around great anime. Spike is tha man!

21. Wallacethe3rd LIL EASY

22. Levithian Leviathan...

life is just a Dream...I enjoyed it especially the last episode.

23. Uzumaki Panda WTF is a user title?

24. Apophis Master Scoundrel

That's a serious understatement, Cowboy Bebop is freakin' awesome :nod

25. Outlandish Active Member

26. Haohmaru The Legendary Samurai

Can anyone tell me which version of the series is the best in quality? My nephew has downloaded the remastered version but that version is black on the far right and left side of the screen on my 42 inch tv. It's resolution is 720 x 480. Does anyone know if there is a 1080p version? If not which version do you guys recommend?

27. Wolfarus Mrgrgr

2 year old thread necro'd :hmm

As for your question, hao..

I doubt you'd find anything on the net' for it(at least in regards to downloading high-quality stuff). The show is just too old, by "anime shelf life" standards. Your best bet would be to buy the series outright.

Amazon has the complete series (anime legends collection) from $29 - $40, depending on whom you want to buy it from.

Quite the bargin, considering how good the anime is

28. Haohmaru The Legendary Samurai

It's sad they didn't do HD remastery. Cowboy Bebop is meant to be watched in the best quality possible.. I couldn't even find 720p links for the TV series.

29. lavi69 loko for yoko

Anybody any word on the live action movie? Haven't heard anything for a while. I hope it's not shit!

30. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!!!

It's in development hell - last i heard, the script would be too "expensive to shoot," so they sent it back to the writer, who works on it to this day. Since then, Keanu's been doing his living meme stuff, being happy as opposed to sad, practicing tai chi in public, breastfeeding crying children . . .

Yeah, they should really greenlight that film.

31. Inuhanyou Ever Cry, Never Life.

half a billion dollars for a script..just what was sunrise thinking i wonder?

32. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!!!

It's more like, does it really take a half billion dollars to shoot a space western/noir? Serenity cost like 40 million to piece together. Were they planning on handing the effects off to both Weta or IL&M? Sheesh.

You know the perfect guy to handle it: Robert Rodriguez. He knows how to do gun blazing action, can work with a tight budget, and he's well versed in the art of noir and western. He's never going to do Sin City 2 anyways :cry

33. Tandaradei &#803

just started my 3rd round of watching this anime. and still hasn't lost any of it's magic.
    for me personally it's definately the best series I've watched so far.

the setting, the characters, the music. every single episode is just incredible

if anyone hasn't seen it yet. shame on you! now go watch it!
    X

See You, Space Cowboy...

34. Darth

rezzed the thread for no reason?

fuck you. got my hopes up for something new. :pek

35. Gunners .

36. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!!!

37. Cheeky Handful of Nothin'

Cowboy Bebop is a great show.

One of my favourite anime, along with Baccano! and Mushishi.

I actually found Faye's past the most interesting, personally.

38. The World Well-Known Member

See you, space cowboy

39. Tandaradei &#803

nah

everything about cowboy bebop was just perfect. the humor, the character, the ending(!!!).
    there is no way it could ever get better.

even though the movie was not bad it just didn't make anything better. no movie or continuation could ever top the original episodes.

wikipedia:

After the creation of the series, an interviewer asked Watanabe if he had any plans to create more Cowboy Bebop material. Watanabe responded by saying that he does not believe that he "should just keep on making Cowboy Bebop sequels for the sake of it". Watanabe added that ending production and "to quit while we're ahead when people still want more" is more "in keeping with the Bebop spirit".[46] In a more recent interview from 2006 with The Daily Texan, Watanabe was asked if there would ever be more Cowboy Bebop. Watanabe's answer was "someday...maybe, someday".[47]

40. Stunna Crystal Constellations Moderator

The only thing new from this series I'd want is a Blu-Ray release.

41. bubble_lord http://joerayw.wordpress.com/

A sequel shouldn't happen. It's been too long, I'd rather it stay as a classic short series than one with a crap sequel series. Like Eureka Seven Ao.

42. Id Τοξότης Moderator

same here.

How is the DVD quality? It goes for $124.99 at amazon.

43. Stunna Crystal Constellations Moderator

Pretty good, but you can find it cheaper than that. :wha

44. Lucciola

I thought there would be a remake or sequel when i saw this thread. :lmao

Well maybe it's time for a rewatch.

45. Id Τοξότης Moderator

Link me please!?! :33

46. Stunna Crystal Constellations Moderator

Sorry, I don't know where online. But my friend bought it in a store or something for less than $50.

47. Lucciola

check out eBay. I bought the box set about a year ago for $30

48. Id Τοξότης Moderator

The cheap ones on ebay, are the counterfeit ones. :tomasulk

Ill just keep my eye open, when I walk into the stores. Maybe I'll get lucky like Stunna friend.

49. [S-A-F] Cobraholic

Sometimes Amazon has sales and Bebop will be like 40 or 50 bucks. I know it was on sale for 50 for like 1 day at the end of Feb but I didn't have the funds anymore to pick it up and when I did get paid the price was back up again. :argh

Oh well I already have the series in DVD quality on USB. :LOS But it doesn't hurt to have a hard copy with all the purdy art and official stuff.

50. PlacidSanity Unknown

Lol, wow. I thought there was going to be some sort of reboot or another feature film when I saw activity in this thread. Oh well.:laugh Honestly, if you want to try to find anymore copies of Cowboy Bebob, try looking at a Half Price Books. I see some of the volumes show up there from time to time. I mean, you will be surprised at what you find there anime wise. Just last week I picked up two unopen packages of the Patlabor Limited Edition films for just about $20 combined instead of paying the full retail $90 for each.