1. The NF rules of conduct have been updated in response to the Xenforo upgrade. Please review them here.
  2. Please vote in the following contest threads: AOTW, Mirror, SOTW Mirror
  3. Please discuss and vote on the fate of the reputation system here.
  4. The forum medals contest is being extended for another month. Check this thread for more information.

Computer parts/building computers/pc stuff...

Discussion in 'Tech Hub' started by staradderdragoon, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. staradderdragoon is owning at being a

need help building/buying a computer? ASK HERE FIRST

need help deciding parts or certain aspects of building a computer?

Anyhow, the purpose of this thread is to help those out that are seeking advice on what parts to get for a computer and to discuss those parts. This thread is not meant to teach you how to build a computer as you can find those online or if u actually read the manual in the motherboard, u'll know where everything goes. but like if people give me a price and a purpose, i'll come up with a list of parts and what not. i'm counting on SSJ3 to give a second opinion...haha.

the only reason why i'm doing this though is because i notice there are several threads about picking parts and what not so i thought it would be useful to keep everything within one thread so we dont end up repeating that things like the 8800GTS 320MB is the best bang for the buck video card right now or the E6600 is the best bang for the buck CPU.

so request part choices or discuss parts

i'll throw a couple of topics just to start it out if that's what ppl want to do
    -what CPU should i get? Core 2 or AMD K8L (also known as Agena)
    -what GPU should i get? Nvidia G80 or ATI R600

typical request:
    i have 1500 bucks and i wanna play crysis on the highest possible setting.

i will find parts and links to sites that sell the parts.

also, random comments that dont contribute or arguing over stupid things like intel is better than amd because intel rocks will be deleted. this is meant to be an informative and quality discussion thread. not something to get ur post count up.

EDIT:
    here's a general guide to picking out parts if you want to make you're own decisions
    X
    otherwise post here if you have absolutely no idea whats going on. haha

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. Ssj3_Goku Hey dood!

Very good thread i like this idea, i will look and try to get a good guide going on how to build PC's and what not and what you should look out for etc.

Could make this into a informative thread and also a helpful thread for people starting to build PC's. Good work :thumbs I will contribute tomorrow, but i need to get some sleep sadly im not on spring break anymore :(

3. crewxp Spartan 117

shoot... you beat me to the idea! :p

I'll help out on this too.

4. staradderdragoon is owning at being a

interesting R600 (or x2800) vs G80 (8800) info
    and there's this test:
    X

keep in mind, this is all R600 beta stuff vs a completed G80 GPU. i dont even think there's a finalized chipset for the R600.

5. Negative-Ion Life is BRUTAL!!

LOL at your posts dude. you quote shit from other sites when you dont even know what they are talking about.

And about your first post on this topic, where is the list of parts required to build a PC? Someone that has no idea that he needs a sound card, will not look for a sound card, instead will come here later on and say... why my sound is messed up? or it has no high quality?

so here is the list for you.
    1: Motherboard
    2: CPU
    3: Memory
    4:Chassis
    5:Floopy (yes you will need it)
    6:CD/DVD/RW whatever you want.
    8:Video card
    9: Sound card
    10:Keyboard/mouse/Monitor

Get the best of the above list and you will no doubt have the best computer, get the mid range of those things and you will have the best computer for your budget.

6. staradderdragoon is owning at being a

i know exactly what i quoted. they did a test of 3dmark scores and compared the DX10 cards that will be availble or are available. im not gonna post shit that i dont understand.

anyhow, as for the parts, i'm the one finding the parts. a sound card isnt needed to play crysis. but u usually spend the money maxing out on the vid card and cpu. sound card is optional as are 2 optical drives.

btw, u dont need a floppy anymore for vista cause u dont need a boot disc and u forgot the power supply. dont bash me. i know what im talking about.

btw, ur theory only works if u buy the best of everything. an 8800gts 320mb is not midrange but its the best card for the money. that's the best card for almost any budget that's 1000 or more.

anyhow, i thought the list was uneccesary but im glad u posted it. just make sure u add PSU.

another thought is adding which companies are good at what. like antec makes good cases and awesome power supplies while DFI makes awesome mobos that arent too pricey.

7. crewxp Spartan 117

Shoot... I wish I coulda heard the fight. I coulda taken Negative-Ion bare handed! (don't reply to that) :D

Staradderdragoon all the way!! (Mainly bc of his cool avatar :D)

Anyways, a 'Floopy' really isn't needed now days. If they're building a pc, they're gonna have to get accustomed to cd's and usb drives. Both can be read from before Windows Launch.

I'll be able to post more info after my exam this thursday.

8. staradderdragoon is owning at being a

it's not so much if they're building PC's now but we have to assume no one is going to build an XP machine anymore. There's almost no point in creating a DX9 machine at this point because in a couple of months, DX10 games will be released. Therefore, they're going to use Vista. With Vista, there is no need for a floppy since they have gotten rid of the boot disc requirement. Everything you need is on the Vista disc.

Now you might say, ppl may come in here to ask how to build a computer for email and what not, well then building is not the way to save money. Building only saves money when u are going from mid-range to high end. That's the advantage of building ur own computer. You also get bragging rights that u built ur own machine.

@crewxp
    the debate was about power supplies: OCZ vs Antec. Well it was mainly him saying Antec wasnt right in calling their PSU's TruePower 2.0 or SmartPower 2.0. the fact remains, most cases do not come with a good powersupply. That's because most cases are cheap. You have to spend more than 100 on a case if u want a good PSU to go with it. it would have stayed were it a legit argument. but he was just throwing his preference at me and I was trying to keep the discussion a discussion...haha

9. crewxp Spartan 117

^^ So true. I'ld say about 90% of cases now days don't come with a sufficient and stable enough power supply to please users. They're usually crap. Only good if you're extremley low on cash, have a good enough home power grounding where it wouldn't matter to them if their pc got blown due to a power surge or spike, or just using it as a really really basic machine.

10. juan012285 Galaxy Breeze

The only DX10 game I've heard about is Crysis, have you heard of some others in development ?

I agree with you though, if you're planning on building a PC you better purchase a DX10 card, I think I'll get the 8800GTS.

11. staradderdragoon is owning at being a

Halo 2 is another one of them. It's all being kept hush hush though. Only reason why Crysis was announced was because its so revolutionary in terms of graphics and its the poster game of DX10 games. Bill Gates called it the Halo of Vista. i think developers wanna keep everything a surprise. if im wrong on this hunch, i do know that nVidia and ATI are just recently shipping out developer kits for their respective chipsets so that the graphics cards get fully utilized...

as for DX10 cards, i really recommend getting the 8800GTS 320MB OC edition from BFG or Foxconn. Reason being is that the ATI x2000 series is coming out and ATI's DX10 cards which are in beta edition are beating the Nvidia 8000 series cards. the pricing of the ATI cards is also extremely competitive. So u can go buy an 8800GTS 640MB (btw, the OC versions are out now) and kick urself later, or wait cause I've also heard that nVidia will drop prices to compete against the new DX10 cards.

12. Donkey Show Bukkage Advisor

Stickied for great justice.

13. HOOfan_1 Kwisatz Haderach

Halo 2 isn't DX 10...it is Vista only but not Direct X 10
    X
    It will be DX9 as converting it to DX 10 would require more work than a direct port.

The ATI card should be out in the next 2 months and nVidia is suprisingly lagging behind on their Vista drivers.

14. destroy_musick Yul Brynner Was A Skinhead Advisor

speaking as an engineer, that is the WORST advice to give someone.

Most BIOS upgrades are still done via floppy for backup purposes in a DOS environment. On top of this, key tools like Scavenger are used from floppy disks as are recovery floppys for some CD and DVD bios :p

15. staradderdragoon is owning at being a

really....hmm. i wonder what all that hype about DX10 games and posting Halo 2 pics up were about then. that's retarded then. they should be making all games DX10 and porting them down to DX9 like crysis. w/e, its not like im getting Halo 2 anyways.

@destroy musik
    true, most BIOS upgrades are done thru the floppy system, but how old is the floppy again? i mean like i use it to create boot discs but as mobos advance further on, we're not going to need to use floppy drives. also, how many ppl do you know, aside from hardcore pc users actually upgrade their BIOS that often? to me, if u really need one, u'd either borrow one or get a USB 2.0 one. no need to actually incorporate it into ur system.

anyhow, i was talking to some ppl and supposedly with Vista, u dont need boot discs anymore. is this true? cause if thats the case, thats another reason not to spend extra money in getting a floppy. at least when u initially build ur computer

16. _Byakuya_ Member

Eh, I barely use my floppy drive anymore, only times I used it are for updating BIOS(which you don't even need to use for some mobos...some let you update right through a program) and for installing drivers(no longer needed with vista) but I still prefer getting one just in case, they're only 5 bucks anyways, and take just a couple minutes to add in.

17. staradderdragoon is owning at being a

^5 bucks?!?! where do u get ur floppy's? all the ones i see are 20 or the 9 in ones with a floppy are like 30-40.
    if im correct, the 680i mobos for the nvidia G80 gpus update thru a program. by the time DX10 becomes mainstream, all the mobos are going to be like that. and for drivers, they always come on a CD now or Vista will automatically download them. even XP downloaded some drivers for you.

18. crewxp Spartan 117

@destroy_musick... I'm going to say. If you're an engineer, you should at least know that bios's should only be upgraded if something is wrong with your current bios or is performing in a bad state. Even then Windows should be already installed. It's moving towards kinda .net architecture now days. And motherboards are enabling their products to be updated easier via windows (including bios's), and even usb or dvd's.

With Vista, it makes it a lot easier.

If you really need a floppy that bad, go out and buy one. But for the average user (people coming here bc they don't know how to build a pc themselves)... chances are they're not going to need it. It'll be a waste of 10-50 bucks if they never use it.

@dragoon. Yeah... it was enabled starting with Xp with their Technical Refresh kit, but then streamed into Vista. It lets you boot via usb. (You can even install Windows Vista through a usb).

What guarantees this is your motherboard above all.. make sure you get a good motherboard. It's like the spine of your computer.

19. _Byakuya_ Member

Yeah, they're usually about 5 bucks I thought...X and as you can see from this link X
    most of the floppy drives are between 1-10$ and the rest over it are mostly the ones with card readers.

kinda off topic...but does anyone know about what the price on the quad cores from amd are gonna be when they come out?(and when do they come out, if we know that yet)

20. staradderdragoon is owning at being a

^yeah i knew about the USB installing of vista.

and im sure all the mobos utilizing DX10 will be pretty good too which reduces the need for a floppy even more.

oh yeah, its not so much ppl coming here cause they dont know how to build a pc but they have no idea what parts are good and what not or they need a suggestion as for what vid card if they wanna play a certain game.

on a final note, some ppl update their bios to utilize some sort of chpiset or GPU or to enable overclocking or what not.

@byakuya. oh i c. i guess i never really looked for a standalone floppy. i'd rather have a card reader with it though and thats when it gets pricey

21. crewxp Spartan 117

staradderdragoon, bios updates like that usually only enable those features if you're upgrading an old motherboard to do that. Now days manufacturer bios updates are just fixes supporting new major hardware tweaks or performance revision queue's. Usually for tech people.. If that's so, you should already have a floppy with it because that was the thing in those times.

Not to be against you or anything, I was helpin u out earlier. :)

22. Ssj3_Goku Hey dood!

Running OS's off Jumpdrives is sweet ! did that with linux a couple of times.

Byakuya Quad cores are expensive right now from Intel they are doing a price drop but its only on a certain quad core model ( not the best one ) when AMD releases there quads this year you will see more price drops between the two.

Aka intels right now range from 500 to 900 USD.

23. HOOfan_1 Kwisatz Haderach

well actually the highest intel quad core right now will drop about $400 in price and a newer faster one will be released

X
    so the QX6700 which is the hotest now will basically become the Q6700 and be priced at $530 whereas right now it is at $999 and the Q6600 will be priced at $266...these may not be the fastest at the time, but they are nothing to sneeze at (note however that Intel lists its prices as what a bulk of 1,000 chips goes for, so resellers will charge more)

all of this will occur in the third quarter of 2007 so July-September most likely August. I haven't seen any pricing for the AMD quad cores but I expect the hottest one will be at $1,000-$1,020 and there will probably be 2 or 3 more ranging from $400-$800.

24. destroy_musick Yul Brynner Was A Skinhead Advisor

That's true, but i always recommend to anyone to get a floppy because most engineers sigh a giant relief if they do. They're cheap now (you can pick a good one up for about ?10 now), but when you work as an onsite engineer (or even an on-call) most people have old hardware. Old hardware means old mobos which means a floppy disc bios upgrade if need be. In all fairness the liklihood is little, but i have had cases where people have royally screwed up bios settings when trying to tamper with overclocking when they are obviously underqualified to do such.

Also, floppy disks are a must for some old-school ghosting techniques and most importantly, DVD/CD bios recovery for older machines (yes, i know most DVD's and CD drives have windows support for bios resetting and such, but as my above post mentioned, alot of the public just dont have them). Also, Scavenger (a HDD recovery/"true delete" tool) runs from a floppy disk.

But yes, you are right, floppys are becoming obsolete, but its not time to chuck them out just yet

25. staradderdragoon is owning at being a

well i know some ppl update their BIOS to quote unquote "unlock" their mobo. say for example they bought a comp from HP or Dell(ugh), they cant overclock anything. if they update it, then supposedly some boards allow for overclocking. but yeah, i know what u mean.

in the end, i guess its whether or not ur building an up to date comp(DX10) or a last gen computer(DX9) that will help determine if u need a floppy

@HOOfan
    i was under the impression that only the QX6600 was going to drop to 266. thing is, if K8L is anything like what the R600 is compared to the G80, then I may still stick with AMD as planned. a native quad core will always have an advantage over the QX architecture that has the same speed because their's no buffer between the cores. but 266 for a quad core is something to look at.

the AMD quad core will have speeds up to 3.0ghz. so i'm curious as to how the speeds will line up. i'm thinking 2.4,2.6,2.8, and 3.0 based on previous experience. and if im correct, isnt K8L going to go to AM3 possibly which would result in the discontinuation of a FSB and going straight to Hypertransport 3.0 if AMD follows their roadmap. i read this somewhere, gotta find a source though. that right there will give AMD another advantage.

anyone think AMD may add some sort of exclusivity in that an AMD chip will run better with the r600 than an intel will? kinda of a low blow but its not as if intel hasnt had their fair share of them either

26. HOOfan_1 Kwisatz Haderach

of the quadcore yes only the Q6600 is going down to $266, but the others are dropping in price too and probably at prices that AMD can't compete with.

The current AMD chips already have the memory controller on the chip with Hypertransport too...in the past that gave AMD an advantge, but Intel claimed that their were advantages to keeping it off of the chip too and they seemed to have proved that with the Core duo. The Intel die shrink to 45nm Peryn is also rumored to possibly have an onboard memory controller..so is Bloomfield. I guess we will have to wait and see about AMD Barcelona versus Kentfield or Peryn whichever Intel has out at the time the Barcelona comes out. We will also have to wait and see about R600 versus G80...nVidia will likely be bringing out a refresh of the G80 by the time the R600 comes out.

Personally I have been waiting for new techology so long that I have passed up what I was waiting for because something new came over the horizon resulting in the fact that my gaming PC is a 5 and a half year old Pentium 4 1.9Ghz with 256 MB of RDRAM a 40 GB HDD and a Geforce 3 Ti 200 video card. The last thing I am waiting for now is to see if system pack 1 for Vista makes it a more viable gaming platform.

27. Negative-Ion Life is BRUTAL!!

installing a modded bios and updating the bios are 2 different things. The first is done to unlock settings the motherboard has but are disabled. usually this is done only by those that have the knowledge or have done their research. If you attempt that tho chances are you are voiding your warranty. so its better to just buy the parts sepereate or not attempt to install modded bios. Updating the bios on the other hand is done because some bugs were discovered and tweaks for those bugs are needed.

28. staradderdragoon is owning at being a

well intel will probably drop prices and release a new one. currently, the flagship Intel quad core is 2.66ghz i think. the AMD is 3ghz. so i dont think intel can drop it enough that AMD cant compete with it. as for now, the Pentium D's cant compete with the AMD X2's. hot damn, a x2 3800+ for 92 bucks, thats insane.

as for hypertransport, arent they accelerating the current model? so its going to be even faster. i dunno if intel really had an advantage cause everything prior to core 2 sucked balls when compared to Athlon 64. granted Core 2 owns because Intel took a leaf out of AMD's book when it came to overclocking capability. AMD is revising their architecture so K8L will definitely give Core 2 a run for its money. u've heard the reports of Barcelona blowing Kentsfield away by up to 70% right? as for Penryn, according to the Inquirer, intel isnt changing the core 2 duo architecture. they're leaving it the same. just reducing the die size which results in less power consumption. however when AMD did this with the windsor chipsand made them Brisbane, apparently there were no performance gains and they couldnt surpass the 90nm chips in overclocking. since i'm getting a R600, i personally dont care about power consumption anymore.

as for R600 vs G80, i posted some info about it on the first page. they do a test with a beta card with beta vista drivers on a board thats not made to utilize the ATI DX10 interface and compare it to a production XFX 8800GTX with official XP drivers with a 680i mobo that uses the G80 chipset. r600 still won by up to 40% on i think CoD2. u are right about nividia releaing a new chipset, i think its going to be like a G90 thing or something but that's not coming out till later. R600 is coming out in late april or may time frame.

like you, i've been waiting for a year and a half. i have the option of getting at least an e6600 for free if not higher so im debating if i should buy a new mobo now(and get a 8800GTS) or within the next two months (and get a X2800XTX) or wait until the end of the year and get Agena FX with the revised R610 chip or wait until early next year when AM3 comes out, get my 4gigs of DDR3, get a new ATI card, and pray that by that time, AMD's Fusion will be integrated into Agena FX. its like, how long should i wait?

29. HOOfan_1 Kwisatz Haderach

yeah Intel is going to release a QX6800...I assume it will be clocked at 2.93 Ghz like the X6800.

30. staradderdragoon is owning at being a

^wikipedia says 3.0ghz but i think 2.93 is more logical. the same article also has the possible prices for april. hardly a good source of info but nevertheless interesting:
    X

found an interesting peice of information, due to Intel's Quad Core's architecture, since it's basically two e6700's in one package, if one tried accessing the data in the other unit, there would be some conflict and therefore some lag. K8L doesnt have this since they all share the same data. and intel doesnt believe this is a problem at all....

31. Ssj3_Goku Hey dood!

Have Vista Installed? want to turn off some serives that could boost up performance? Need a list to see what each does and if you should turn it off or not? Well here you go!

X

Catalyst 7.3 Display Driver RELEASED!

X

32. staradderdragoon is owning at being a

^awesome. totally forgot to post the update for Catalyst.
    this thread from SteamPowered has lists everything in the update
    X

33. Donkey Show Bukkage Advisor

I'm going to possibly bite and get the Samsung 226BW monitor for my comp. What are your guys' thoughts on it? I've seen it in person and it looks fucking beautiful. It's not 1920 x 1200, but the PQ is just awesome, plus the high gloss really adds color depth as well.

34. Negative-Ion Life is BRUTAL!!

its a good screen. I have the Samsung Syncmaster 941BW, smiliar design to the one you want to get just different on some features, the power consumption and of course the price lol.

35. Donkey Show Bukkage Advisor

I was looking at that one too, but the super high gloss on the 226BW does it for me, tbh. Plus the design is sexy.

36. HOOfan_1 Kwisatz Haderach

22"? Widescreen? what does it cost? Up until a year ago I wanted to stick wth CRT, but they have pretty much gone the way of the Dodo now so I have been hearing alot of good things about the Dell 2407WFP 24" widescreen....when I first started looking at it, the price was around $800, but it has dropped to around $650 now...I plan to hook up my consoles as well as my computer to it as it has DVI VGA and component hookups.

37. Ssj3_Goku Hey dood!

X

thats the monitor you want especially for the price. I mean I have no problems with it, plays Ps3 on HDMI NICELY! Xbox360 looks like a dream on it ( VGA cable ) has 1 to 1 pixel mapping, HDMI Slot, DVI, VGA, has a USB hub on it, built in speakers ( eh they suck lol) stand is not to good. 5 ms response time. Native resoultion is 1650 by 1080 ( thats higher than 720p) but it has to upscale to 1080p or 1080i to get those resoultions but like I said they look sweet.

plus for 300 bucks, you get all that and its 22 inch widescreen, proabably the best monitor I purchased in a long time considering the price and features. ( only HDMI monitor on the market atm , that I took noticed to as well )

Only problems I had with the monitor were the Stand but you can purchase a stand for it anyways. The black lvls are not to great but you can manually adjust those or if you have those monitor readjustment things that cost roughly 200 bucks you can make this monitor look 10 times better ( I seen it done i was blown away) Overall great purchase for the price. I plan to get another so i have 44 inches of monitor greatness on my desk =0

Though if cost is not an issue there is a SWEET mother fucking monitor for 800 bucks or a little less , 37 inch widescreen and all in the thread in teh gaming section that has the people posting there gaming setups. The one person ni commeted on his monitor THAT monitor is pure gold and is native 1080p. ( no hdmi though I think )

38. HOOfan_1 Kwisatz Haderach

39. Donkey Show Bukkage Advisor

You mean the Westinghouse?

X

I already have a 52" DLP in my room. The last thing I need is a monitor THAT big just for my comp alone. XD It's tempting especially since I can buy one right now if I wanted, but 22" is good enough for me. I have no need for gaming, plus as good as the Sceptre is, which I have seen personally, the new Sammy monitor is just way too gorgeous. I'll sit on it and decide in a bit once I'm done uploading Vista Ultimate.

40. staradderdragoon is owning at being a

i found this Westinghouse 24in Widescreen monitor
    X
    any opinions? its 650 online but i found it for 600 at the store and i can get an employee discount on it.

41. Donkey Show Bukkage Advisor

Screw that. If you're going to spend that much on a monitor, just get the 37" 1080p one for $300 more.

42. Up In FlameZ♥ ^^;

Since this is a sticky, i'll ask here. What is a better brand for video cards? I was thinking of going ATI but my friend keeps telling me that nVidia is way better.

Also does anyone know of which brand can support VGA and DVI? THe ones that i found were only DVI and i have a VGA monitor.

43. staradderdragoon is owning at being a

haha. all the DVI only video cards come with an adapter for DVI to VGA. both brands support them. as of now, nVidia is the best. but in a couple of months, nVidia fans will be crying when they see ATI's r600 GPU rape the 8800s

@DS
    hmm, 37in is kinda huge. i really want a 30in widescreen one. but i havent found one thats a good price. this will be in my dorm at college.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  44. HOOfan_1 Kwisatz Haderach

yeah but then nVidia will bring out the 8900GTX to rape the X2900XTX and ATI will bring out the X2950XTX and nVdia the 8950GTX and ATI the X3900XTX and nvidia the 9800GTX..which will be weird because ATI has a three generation old card called the 9800

45. Up In FlameZ♥ ^^;

So that means, so i should get a nVidia video card?

Also, can you show me a mobo, that works with this processor and this RAM?

X

X

Also, i was reading this article about spreading stuff like thermal paste on the processor. Then when i asked me friend about this, he said you dont have to. He said you could get a heatsink with thermal thing installed on it.

46. HOOfan_1 Kwisatz Haderach

just make sure you get an LGA 775 mobo either a nvidia 6x0i mobo or an intel 9x5 mobo...newegg helps you alot by having the ability to narrow your options to intel->Core 2 compatible mobos.

X

DFI, Asus and Gigabyte probably make the best mobos or even intel themselves. If you want to use dual nVidia cards in SLi though make sure you get a mobo with an nVidia chipset.

47. staradderdragoon is owning at being a

@hoofan
    it all depends. thing is, on benchmark tests, the x2800xtx is raping the 8800GTX by up to 40%. thats ridiculous. also, nVidia still does not have plans to go to GDDR4 yet or at least, it hasnt been announced. thats a plus to ATI.

@up in flamez
    if u do not put thermal paste on ur cpu, u can kiss ur CPU goodbye. it needs it to conduct the heat from the cpu to the heat sink. even liquid cooling sets need thermal paste. get some arctic silver 5. its not that expensive.

as for mobo, do not get an intel 9x5 chipset. wait for the chipset that utilizes the ATI card if ur going with ATI or et the 680i chipset if ur going nvidia. the 650i chipset isnt bad and i've heard that intel 965 chipsets are a bit more lenient in terms of overclocking and what not. cheaper too

48. Up In FlameZ♥ ^^;

how bout this mobo?

X

unless you can suggest something better.

49. staradderdragoon is owning at being a

i gotta know how much u wanna spend on the mobo first. the MSI one is alrite. there's better for not much more.

50. HOOfan_1 Kwisatz Haderach

you can use ATI crossfire on the Intel chipset boards and I think up in flamez was talking about thermal pads...which when heated up get soft and act like thermal paste...alot of OEM Intel computers come with thermal pads...thermal paste is usually better though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.