1. The NF rules of conduct have been updated in response to the Xenforo upgrade. Please review them here.
  2. Please vote in the following contest threads: AOTW MIRROR, SOTW MIRROR, PSOTW MIRROR
  3. Discussion for the forum medals contest is happening here. Please drop in and give your input.

Chuunin Exams Final: Neji vs. Gaara

Discussion in 'Naruto Battledome' started by Vice inactive, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Vice inactive Banned

Battleground: Chuunin Exams Finals Grounds
    Knowledge: In series knowledge for both at the time
    Distance: 25m
    Restrictions: No Shukaku
    Scenario: In character

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  2. Savage Brave Shine

Long range vs short range. Not the best match-up. Neji also has nothing to penetrate his sand defense.

3. Skywalker Imperial Conqueror

Neji isn't keeping Kaiten up forever, and then he'll die.

4. AzureRhapture Hug tank rollin' up!

So this is pretty much all ready decided? I'm gonna have to go with Gaara unless someone can tell me more than two moves Neji used during his fight with Naruto at the time :ninja

5. Lee-Sensei The Clown Prince of Crime

CE arc Neji doesn't have the running speed to bypass Gaara's sand shield. If this was SRA Arc Neji it'd be different though. You should make this SRA Arc Neji to even up the playing field a bit.:zaru

6. -JT- Mr Yamanaka

Not saying Neji will win, but Gaara's sand and therefore his defence is infused with chakra. The Gentle Fist can break through chakra substances, so there's a chance Neji can break through and deal some damage :quite

That's if he isn't sand squelched to death before :uwah

7. Federer Active Member

Even if there is a possibility for Neji to beat Gaara back then, which I doubt, there's still Shukaku that would litteraly eat Neji.

Neji can't win this, it was pretty much clear that Gaara was the strongest genin back then, even Gamabunta didn't really stood a chance against Shukaku and Naruto used his very best to tie with Gaara.

8. Atlantic Feather of Infinity Administrator

Gaara.

Neji probably has enough speed to bypass Gaara's auto defense, but his attacks just aren't the right type to hit through his defense. It takes high physical strength or a piercing jutsu to break through it, and Neji's jyuken doesn't fall in either of those categories. He could defend against his attacks, but kaiten isn't going to last forever. It isn't really going to protect him against a mid air coffin either, since you can't spin in mid air, especially in such a tight space.

If by some chance Neji does beat Gaara, I wish him luck against the forest destroying Bij┼ź.

9. Bart a lion still has claws

Neji :byastars

Why are people saying that he cannot break through Gaara's absolute defence; mind you that Jyuuken destroys Chakra-based substances, effectively, as was told by Neji to Kidomaru during the SRA; also we've seen the force of the divinations break through a tree without even making direct contact with it.

Any variations of Gaara's sand offenses, such as Sabaku Kyu (Sand Coffin) should be dispersed by Neji's releasing of Chakra, if it consumes him as we've seen how such a thing was done during Part I. See the escape from Suiro no Jutsu for futher details.

P.S. It ends when Gaara is in range of the divinations :WOW

10. whoareyou1 Banned

hmm bart might be right yano. i call it close till gaara goes chibi shukaku den he eats neji for breakfast.

11. Mangeykou Byakugan Neji>>>You

I thought it was made pretty clear that Neji was Gaara's perfect counter

You guys are forgetting that the sand Gaara uses is wielded by chakra
    It could easily be countered by Neji's Jyuuken

None of Gaara's attacks will work on Neji

Sand Armor is easily bypassed w/ 64 palms or standard Jyuuken
    Sand shield got bypassed by Sasuke and Lee's taijutsu
    Sand Burial/ coffin isn't containing Neji who can release chakra from his body

Those are the basics of Kaiten

Once Neji gets in range and does his divinations, I see little Gaara can do can defend himself and come out victorious

After a long hard fought battle, I see the Hyuga coming out victorius

Victor: Hyuuga Neji

12. Federer Active Member

Neji does not have the movement speed that Rock Lee and Sasuke had.

Hence, Guy's method of training for Rock Lee to beat Neji, using extreme fast movement speed with excellent hand to hand combat proficiency.

What Neji makes dangerous is the speed of his reflexes and his hand to hand skills. Once he's nearby you, he will strike you so many times you would lose count, you can compare it basically to Wing Chun, as seen in the movie Ip man with Donnie Yen.

Gaara's sand is very fast and he likes to keep his distance, he will attack non stop, just to keep Neji in bay, which he won't succeed.

His sand armor might protect him from some of Neji's strikes, but it will drive Gaara crazy, which means:

Enter: Shukaku

Well, it was nice knowing you Neji.

13. burstorm Sasuke Uchiha

Sasukes speed during the chunin exam was the same as nejis so if sasuke was fast enough to bypass sand shield then so is neji. Now as for the sand itself it has chakra in it which means gental fist should be able to disperse it as well as the sand armor. Gaara will put up one good fight but in the end I see neji winning.

14. burstorm Sasuke Uchiha

Guy thought lee the gates so he would have enough speed to beat neji and guy says he needs to open 5 to beat him and sasuke was never in any databook faster than neji they have always been a tie or nejis been faster

15. Federer Active Member

Ehm no.

How on earth did you came up with Neji? Sasuke's speed was compared to Lee's. It was Lee that had the most impressive movement speed, there's certainly no feats that puts Neji on Lee's or Sasuke's level of movement speed.

Neji is far superior to either Sasuke and Lee at that time when it came down hand to hand speed and reflexes.

I still don't understand people that think Gaara won't use Shukaku against Neji. He will make Gaara mad, and when the Bijuu is on the battlefield it's game over for Neji.

16. burstorm Sasuke Uchiha

Read my post above and read the databook stats. What many of you just disregard the databook like like they where made just because if that was the case then they would be useless

17. Kind of a big deal People Know Me

Neji disabled Naruto's chakra only to get that replaced by his tailed beast's chakra and completely blindsided Neji. (pun)

So even if by some miracle Neji manages to seal Gaara's chakra, he will still lose.

Match will probably be over before that, since this is in-character, Gaara will go inside his sand globe. Neji will see inside with the byakugan and see something terrible inside. (it's Shukaku)

He'll forfeit right there if he's smart. Otherwise he gets smeared all over the arena floor like strawberry jelly on a sandwich.

18. Federer Active Member

The category 'speed' does not only refer to movement speed, it refers to all types of speed.

Just because character A and B share the same amount of number doesn't mean that they are both just as fast as each other. One could be much faster in movement speed and the other in reflexes and in hand to hand combat.

Guy never said such thing, give me a link.

The gates were Lee's trumph card to beat Neji, in order to beat Neji, a ninja like Rock Lee who's not proficient in ninjutsu nor genjutsu, must have much superior movement speed and high level taijutsu in order to beat his rival.

Speed kills, that's why Guy pushed Rock Lee to his limits and beyond.

Manga > databook.

There are no panels that suggest that Neji had superior movement speed than Rock Lee nor Sasuke, if he did, than Might Guy utterly failed at training Rock Lee, because the movement speed was the only advantage he ever had against Neji.

And Shukaku is still the game ender here.

19. Lee-Sensei The Clown Prince of Crime

Neji wasn't as fast as Neji or Sasuke by the Finals. The Databook gave him a speed ranking of 3 and there's nothing to suggest that in that month's time he improved his speed by a tier. However like Bart sais Jyuken destroys chakra based substances and as I recall the shield is loaded with chakra.

You may have a point here Bart. I forgot that the shield was made with chakra. I thought it was only the armor which is why I said he could probably pressure Gaara if he was faster.

In the end though he'll just call upon his biju's power.

20. Mangeykou Byakugan Neji>>>You

So the only defense for Gaara's here is that Gaara call upon Shakaku, right?

ENTER: Jyuuken to Gaara's Heart

EDIT: If Neji wasn't equal or better than Lee's speed, why would he even needs gates to challenge Neji??

21. Lee-Sensei The Clown Prince of Crime

Shukaku. Also there's the possibility that Gaara could just crush his legs. Anyways, the only person that could challenge Gaara as an equal at that point was Naruto.

22. burstorm Sasuke Uchiha

I never said anything about lee being slower than neji I said as fast and also by the time the second databook was out neji WAS faster than sasuke. Guy didn't fail with lees training because he taught lee the gates to out speed neji so he could try to blitz neji even if what you say about speed is true then the sand won't be able to keep up with nejis gental fist strikes and when the shield is down neji can hit em with 64 palms then he won't have to worry about the shikaku because he will be dead

23. burstorm Sasuke Uchiha

Also your link is naruto wiki and go to hidden lotus/ura reng can only be used when 5 GATES or more are open

24. Mangeykou Byakugan Neji>>>You

I guess you didn't watch the Kidomaru fight then

That sand uses chakra, which is uses against Jyuuken

He just releases chakra and makes it useless

And if Neji hits him in the right spot a couple times, Gaara isn't getting back up, even with Shakaku

Also, it was made pretty clear that by Lee, Kakashi, and Gai that Neji was the "strongest" Genin

He wasn't equal. He was SUPERIOR

He was stronger than Naruto but he just got cocky

25. -JT- Mr Yamanaka

As I (and others) have said, Neji can break through Gaara's defence, and can use his own to negate Gaara's long distance sand attacks. One he gets close enough I'm sure he can shut off Gaara's chakra with 8 Trigrams 64 Palms, seeing as Gaara's style back then was to just stand around while his sand did everything.
    Then Shukaku comes into play...

So Neji vs Gaara: Neji wins

Neji vs Shukaku Gaara: Shukaku Gaara wins

26. Lee-Sensei The Clown Prince of Crime

That was an SRA feat several months worth of training after the CE arc presumably. I actually watched it just recently.

Second source of chakra in the form of Shukaku.

Superior to Dosu? Almost definitely. Superior to Lee? Arguably. Superior to Gaara? No. It was made quite clear that Gaara could destroy almost every Genin with a minimum amount of effort considering Lee came to the exam to beat Neji and the fact that Kakashi and Gai never said that Neji was the strongest Genin.

As I recall all Kakashi said was that Neji would beat Sasuke easily (like Lee did).

And all Gai said was that Hinata doesn't stand a chance against Neji.

Tailed fox.

I'm pretty sure that Sasuke, Neji and Lee were all on equal speed terms in the SRA Arc. At least according to the DB's stats.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  27. Mangeykou Byakugan Neji>>>You

28. Lee-Sensei The Clown Prince of Crime

:hmmHmm. I was actually just thinking about that. Your probably right here at least.:hmm

I'm pretty sure that it's not just Kyubi. It's probably all Biju. It at least gives him the stamina to get up again and the extra chakra to keep fighting.

Gaara and Lee's fight came after Neji's fight with Hinata.

Kakashi said that he'd beat Sasuke which is something that wasn't uncommon in the SRA Arc.

Lee said most likely which leaves room for doubt. He also came to the exam to beat him which means he believed that he was possibly stronger then Neji at that point.

If he fought IC he would've underestimated him though.

Besides Naruto could simply have summoned Gamabunta.

29. Vice inactive Banned

Oh, forgot to add that. Shukaku is banned.

30. Lee-Sensei The Clown Prince of Crime

Not even a little bit? What about partially transformed. Or just bloodlusted? Or what about in his ball of Sand (the one Sasuke pierced with his Chidori)?

31. Kind of a big deal People Know Me

In that case Gaara still wins. He knows that Neji can seal chakra, so he won't let him get close. Gaara flies on some sand where Neji can't reach, and then crushes him from a distance.

32. Mangeykou Byakugan Neji>>>You

I understand what your saying
    But the Bijuu gives the host power in the form of Chakra armor/ cloak

Nowhere does it hint that any Bijuu (besides the Kyuubi)
    Gives its host accelerated healing

If that were the case, Gaara would've healed instantly from the Chidori he took from Sasuke during the CE

And even then, Bijuu can't heal something that could kill instantly

Plus, extra chakra doesn't save you from your heart being attacked multiple times which could possibly kill you

Exactly. And at no time did we hear Gaara recieve the praise from Gai and Kakashi that they gave Neji

Even after knowing his abilities, they still had confidence their students could possibly beat him

Gai thought Lee had a better chance to beat Gaara before Neji
    He gave Lee gates for Neji
    But thought he could beat Gaara w/ just Primary Lotus w/o weights

IC Neji= Neji going for the kill
    He was playing around w/ Naruto

He talked to him and told a story half the fight

33. -JT- Mr Yamanaka

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but this feat was not shown before the SRA, so Gaara can't do this yet.

34. G-Man It Ain't Easy Being G...

The Suirou no Jutsu was in Part 2 against Jounin Neji and even then he needed time to escape, nevermind that the Suirou wasn't actively trying to crush him to death. Try again.

35. G-Man It Ain't Easy Being G...

Errr... looking at his fight with Hinata and later Kidoumaru... that was IC for Neji! Even in SRA, he was a conceited prick who talked trash, such as him bragging about his Jyuuken to Kidoumaru even though he knew the others might need his back-up. He'd have probably wasted even more time with talking if Kidoumaru hadn't fled out of talking range and begun sniping. Part 1 Neji, specifically circa the Chuunin Exam, is full of himself on a level surpassed only by Orochimaru and Part 2 Sasuke!

36. Mangeykou Byakugan Neji>>>You

^Is Gaara's sand impervious to chakra

Like the sticky web???

I don't think so

Try again

37. Bart a lion still has claws

Who on earth said that Gaara's sand is impervious to Jyuuken? :omg

38. Milan? "order."

gaara takes the sand underneath neji's feet, traps him there with suna shigure.

fare thee well neji.

39. G-Man It Ain't Easy Being G...

Now for my take on the fight. Both fighters are completely full of themselves, though Gaara at least has the excuse that he's insane and a demon vessel whopse probably the strongest in his village by far. Neji comes in convinced his Jyuuken will cut through the sand like a hot knife through butter, and Gaara is convinced his sand will handle everything like usual.

Opening bell has Neji dancoing around Gaara's attempts to snag him with the sand and eventually closing the distance. He gives his whole "you are within the range of my divination" spiel and launches into 64 Hands, actually managing to by pass some of the sand only for some hits to be blocked and rest to be absorbed by Gaara's Sand Armor. Gaara is now annoyed that he's been hit yet again by a Leaf Genin, and Neji, witnessing the sand he has robbed of its chakra being infused yet again and added right back to Gaara's thick Sand Armor, slowly starts to realize he's in trouble here.

Neji realizes sealing tenketsu is impossible as it would require a ridiculous number of strikes just to break through the Sand Armor nevermind that the Sand Shield blocks some of the hits, and, to Neji's astonishment, is being supported by a secondary chakra source within Gaara (I'm giving Neji the benefit of the doubt and assuming he can differentiate between Gaara and Shukaku's chakra) so sealing Gaara's chakra may not even stop it! He figures he needs an all-out, concentrated strike on one of Gaara's vitals to end this in a single blow.

Unfortunately, Gaara's not stupid despite being insane. He realizes Neji can tear away at his armor and while he may not have heard Kakashi's explanation of Jyuuken he knows he saw Neji using strikes with his whole hand against Hinata and logically figures those do more damage. He simply wraps himself in the Sand Cocoon, without intending to transform, and using the Third Eye he can freely target Neji until Neji finally wears down. Gaara crushes him to death even after the referee tells him the match is over (because he didn't get to kill Lee either time and figures killing Lee's teammate will have to suffice until the invasion starts).

Match over, winner Gaara, though Neji at least made him work for it as much as Lee did if not more.

Incidentally, back with the audience, Hinata faints again, everyone of the other contenders except Gaara's siblings shudders at the grotesque death (and even then, temari and Kankuro are shuddering on the inside), Sarutobi is debating whether or not having Gaara disqualified is worth risking starting the invasion off early, and Lee and Gai have just arrived only to learn of Neji's rather gruesome death from a tearful Tenten.

Later on, in the SRA, there isn't anyone to fight Kidoumaru, so they either have to recruit one of the girls (suicide as none of the Konoha Genin girls can beat Kidoumaru), or the rescue team gets sniped from behind (or all of them are outright killed save Naruto who survives the hit to the chest from Kidoumaru's weapons and goes berzerk, tearing the spider-nin limb from limb before passing out).

40. G-Man It Ain't Easy Being G...

I love this! Neji cut through the webbing! It isn't immune to chakra despite what Kidoumaru said, and he did state it could block chakra but he's obviously wrong, otherwise Neji couldn't cuit through the web nets in the first place as Kidoumaru hismelf admits! Kidoumaru just made it so thick Neji couldn't break through it with all those little hits! Nevermind that its only as tough as metal and Gaara's Sand Shield and Armor are tougher than iron plating (as seen with the Rain-nin he killed in the Forest of Death). And that's not even taking into account the independently moving Sand Shield which would be attacking Neji as he hits Gaara!

41. G-Man It Ain't Easy Being G...

No one sane. Even I admit Neji could probably peel away at the Sand Armor, just not fast enough to save himself or to keep up with Gaara's ability to replenish said armor. He needs to pierce through it all at once with one decisive strike.

42. Lee-Sensei The Clown Prince of Crime

It can be presumed that all jinchuriki would be able to heal. Just slower then the Kyubi. When Gaara started turning into the mini Shukaku he didn't seem to be in pain at all.

And Hinata survived a strike to her heart. Someone with Gaara's stamina should be able to survive it too.

X
    X
    X
    X

Gai didn't know what Lee could do. As you can see here they thought that Gaara was dangerous enough that the mission was considered A-Rank. Their mission was to get Sasuke and run away from Gaara basically because Gaara was that strong. Both of them basically said that.

Now that I think about it that's true. He only did that to Hinata and Naruto because he wanted to prove a point to them. He wouldn't have to prove it to Gaara because he already knows that he's strong from watching his fight with Lee.

About the fight: Neji should take this if Shukaku's restricted. Unless we count Gaara's ability to grind rocks in the earth into sand and use them to fight.

43. LostSelf Forest Sage

Neji.

Neji's speed is the same as Lee and Lee bypassed the sand, the only reason Gaara won that fight was because of his sand armor.

Neji's attack will make gaara's sand armor useless along with Gaara.

Neji is the best counter for Gaara unless he's trapped in his sand.

44. Lee-Sensei The Clown Prince of Crime

Since when is CE Arc Neji as fast as Lee?

45. LostSelf Forest Sage

CE Neji's speed is the same as lee without the gates. How do you think Neji beat Lee in taijutsu?

Edit: Mi mistake. Lee is a tier above Neji in speed. Still i see Neji bypassing Gaara's sand. The sand in Gaara's back is fused with chakra.

46. Federer Active Member

By having better striking speed and reflexes.

Nothing suggests that Neji has equal or superior movement speed, there are no such feats.
    And besides in that flashback Lee wasn't nearly as fast as in his fight against Gaara.

47. Lee-Sensei The Clown Prince of Crime

Yes. I agree that Neji could get passed the sand with Jyuken though. I'm just wodering if we can make the assumption that Gaara can use the Sand from the ground like he did against Kimimaro. Otherwise Neji's wins this fight.

48. whitemamba newbie

well neji has the speed to stay away from garas attacks. neji at the time had better reflexes then sasuke annd lee and was in the same range of speed. gara has the ultimate defese, sand coffin, and sand burial and so forth. however neji also has 64 trigrams and rotation. i can see neji using rotation to block the sand. neji would winn but hed barely have enough chackra to stand. seeing gara cant use shukak id say neji. however this would piss gara off and hed use shukak and because neji would barely have any chakra left neji gets mascared. why cant gara use shukak??????

49. Kind of a big deal People Know Me

Well Neji hasn't shown the ability to dispell ninjutsu before the SRA either, so he would be defenseless agains Gaara anyway.

Besides:

X

He had always been able to do it, it's a simple task for him.

So Gaara flies up and makes the earth swallow Neji and compress him. No matter how fast he is or isn't, Neji is affected by gravity.

50. Skywalker Imperial Conqueror

Neji isn't getting close to Gaara, you people act like Gaara won't fight back, he'll crush him sooner or later.