1. The NF rules of conduct have been updated in response to the Xenforo upgrade. Please review them here.
  2. Discussion for the forum medals contest is happening here. Please drop in and give your input.

Bleach Anime Ending Next Month

Discussion in 'Society TV' started by futurefrog, Feb 23, 2012.

1. futurefrog Banned

Just heard the news guys.
    Here is the source.
    X

Bleach is ending with Fullbring arc and will not be returning or changing time slot.
    DVD sales are apparently been very low as of late and the series is not as profitable as it once was. This was sadly to be expected.

2. Alchemist73 Prince

Hmm, yes, this was sadly expected indeed. Hopefully it could be finished sometime in the future after the manga ends.

3. TGM Active Member

4. reiatsuflow Well-Known Member

I'm alright with it. I haven't been enjoying the anime much lately.

5. violentrl Active Member

Well deserved in my opinion.
    Constant rating drops proves the lack of interest and the lack of interest represents the shittiness in quality.
    Sad but it's factual.

6. rac585 narusaku ftw

im sure it'll continue with the final arc once the manga is finished or nearly finished

doesn't bother me one bit, considering the alternative is filler

7. ZE E?E

8. fortysix Banned

Really sad news, I've been watching the anime for almost 6 years now and I can't belive it's ending, but I guess it's the right thing to do since it's rapidly losing ratings, tbh the anime just doesn't do it for me anymore, the manga hasn't really been interesting lately either

9. Halibel La Tres

way to fuck up my day

10. The_Evil Hand of God

Kubo shoddy pacing finally killed the anime it seems.

They run out of people trying to invade Soul society, so they can't make another filler arc.

11. Khyle Sternritter "Ñ"

Sad day. I've been following the anime on a weekly basis since 2008, and it's the only anime I still follow (I ocasionally watch full -short- series, but only once they are over).

So yeah... I'm a bit depressed. On one hand this is certainly better than getting 3 filler episodes for every canon episode, but it still saddens me a lot. :cry

My tuesdays will not be the same now.

12. Evolution Paladin

Sad, watching the anime every week became a routine for me.
    I hope I can manage the Bleach cravings every week with only the manga.
    Hopefully this break will make people realise how much they will miss Bleach and restart the series after 1 or 2 years.
    I think this would be an ok scenario.

13. Bluebeard Classy Gent

Not really suprised.

14. Dokiz1 _

About time. They can replace it by something much better. Such as that Rock Lee anime :maybe

15. reiatsuflow Well-Known Member

My only question-

Does anybody think we might get another op just for the hell of it? Or is the anime going to end with the current op, which is arguably the worst.

They probably aren't going to air another one, huh. Sad face.

16. insane111 B̲a̲n̲n̲e̲d̲

The article didn't say that, it's unknown whether it will or not. I'd bet money they will do the final arc a few years down the line.

17. Santoryu way aye mate.

I'm obviously disappointed...since I've been following bleach for so long and wanted to see how it ended in anime form.

ANYWAY

What now ? It's so annoying when people claim the fullbring arc was great because "it was a nice change of pace"

Face reality, the fullbring arc was a disgrace.

People think FKT was the worst? Please, Fullbring arc makes FKT look amazing.

18. futurefrog Banned

FKT is one of the worst arcs in anime and manga history. But Fullbring arc was even worse.
    So many plot holes and poor developed characters that lack any real motivation for what they are even doing or why they are evil. The anime will end with many questions unanswered, I am sure the manga will end up doing the same.

19. Whirlpool Triumvir

Studio perriot or whatever is gonna be begging Kubo for the rights to make the anime again once The thousand year blood arc reigns supreme :gar

Studio guy: Come onnnnn! Let us make the anime

Kubo: Blow me :grimmy Just because half of the fanboys rejoined because the grimmBoss returned doesn't mean i gotta bow back down to you, fuck you, blow me first

Studio guy:....fine

Kubo: Be sure to get it all in there :datass

20. reiatsuflow Well-Known Member

Q. how bad is the fullbring arc?

A. it cancelled the anime

lol

21. Mad Ego Behind you!

LOL at people blaming this on the Fullbring anime

22. Mider T VM Rapist

That's unbelievable...one of the trinity adaptations ending early...its all those damn filler arcs!

23. reiatsuflow Well-Known Member

If the ratings were better, bleach would still be running. It has nothing to do with imminent fillers, since the previous filler season average better ratings than the fullbring season.

It's probably a bit of a joke since the ratings have been steadily declining for years and years, but it's still a good joke. And it's entirely possible. The fullbring arc just so happened to precede the final being announced in the manga and the anime, when previously there was no indication the series was at its end. Yet, after the fullbring arc- which has gotten universally 'negative' or 'less than' reactions, whether you are looking at ratings, sales, shonen jump poles, everything, suddenly the anime is over and the manga is over. It's pretty funny. Even if it's just speculation.

24. Mad Ego Behind you!

well yeah the timing is funny
    then again the Manga Fullbring arc had bad numbers too, and you dont see the manga being cancelled

In fatc I was not even aware the anime had bad ratings

25. James Bit of a nut.

If they bring back Bleach in the future, I hope they still have Shiro Sagisu on the music.

That's often one of the big issues when they return to a series for another adaption. They think it has to be fresh, or they can't get the same staff back. When a composer is changed, it changes the feeling of a show completely.

Ippo: New Challenger's biggest flaw is that the music sucks like 50% of the time. I hear people saying that Hunter X Hunter's new anime sucks because of the music. Naruto Shippuden has some good tracks, but never quite the awesome diversity of the first show's killer soundtrack. Hellsing's OVA series...well I haven't seen all the eps, but the early ones felt weak musically.

FMA is one of the few series where I've been completely happy with a different composer coming in for the second series. It made sense anyway as following the manga properly (mostly) would definitely set a different tone.

If they go back to Bleach down the line, it makes sense to just FINISH it rather than do a new adaption, so consistency would be nice.

26. neshru Active Member

You sure? :geg

27. reiatsuflow Well-Known Member

If we were talking about a hiatus, no. But there will likely be no announcement of bleach's return, because there are no certain plans for it, because anime broadcasting doesn't seem kind to 'hiatus' plans. Their schedule seems pretty cut throat.

It's a ratings game. Bleach fillers don't necessarily have worse ratings than canon. In fact, on a comparison to comparison basis, the last two filler arcs have improved over canonical ratings (although the last filler arc only 'just').

It's a low ratings game, and anime broadcasting in japan seems pretty unkind and inflexible for shows to just go on 'hiatus'. They are effectively cancelling bleach, and they wouldn't cancel a long running show unless the ratings were poor.

There's something strange - I checked out some other anime websites who reported this info, and animenewsnetwork, for example, only states that bleach is officially done in the 6 PM timeslot. They don't say it's off the air. A little confused now.

28. neshru Active Member

If they're putting the series on hold, I think it's too early for them to tell when it will come back. They probably don't know either, but that doesn't mean the series is getting cancelled.

29. reiatsuflow Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware anime broadcasts in japan were that lenient. If that's true, it's great, because it lets the anime take a break and come back swinging for the finale. I just don't know any comparisons. It seems like anime shows have to be extremely popular to come back, and even bleach's popularity and studio doesn't give it the cred to just be able to return to the schedule whenever they want. It seems like shows always run a risk of not coming back when they stop airing.

I also want to underline that bleach is no closer to the manga right now than it was last time. When the anime adapted ichigo beating aizen way back when, it was 'this' close to the manga and the fullbring arc had 'just' begun. Maybe the model didn't work out for them in the end, but the studio is no farther behind content-wise now than then.

30. futurefrog Banned

The anime had bad ratings, poor DVD/BD sales, rapidly declining popularity in Japan and was ultimately causing TV Tokyo and Studio Pierrot to lose more money than Bleach was making them.

31. neshru Active Member

Which doesn't mean a break is not desperately needed.

32. BlueSnow94 None

This is sad news. Well if they continue the series after the manga is over then at least the cannon episodes won't have too much filler content or none at all.

33. Delicious &#32

34. kboykb Member

What bad news. I just bombed a test and I have to come home to this?!! -.-

Sad to see Bleach being the first to go from the Bleach/ One Piece/ Naruto trio.

It may not have had the best arcs, but in its prime Bleach was amazing.

35. shintebukuro Active Member

I have a feeling this news is indicative of the direction of the series as a whole, and could be why Kubo Tite came out of nowhere declaring the next arc the last one.

36. reiatsuflow Well-Known Member

Yeah when bleach was in its stride it was unique among the three because it had very little of the shonen syrup one piece and especially naruto do. It had the standard group of nakama, but they never did anything. Most of the conflicts felt different than the conflicts of the other shows, because they so rarely ended in "I beat you because I have the power of friendship and understanding".

And the first run of bleach through to the ss arc is still the longest high quality shonen adaptation among the three. Neither naruto nor one piece can boast arcs with that kind of consistent pacing, animation and execution. rip

37. IceManK Member

Guys... That's the best choice SP ever made! And the anime isn't cancelled! It's just going on break for 1-2 years, since it caught up the manga and maybe they estimated that doing a filler arc isn't the wise choice this time.

2 years ago Gintama took 1 year break as well, since it caught up the manga.

38. Mako Mankanshoku

Face it people. The anime is VERY close to the manga. Why the fuck are everyone blaming different people, certain arcs, or recent sales?

I've been expecting this ever since the manga went on 3 week break.

39. futurefrog Banned

This has not at all been hinted at all confirmed. The anime is effectively cancelled and will not continue to air on TV Tokyo or be produced by Studio Pierrot. It is unlikely the series will return as it is no longer profitable in Japan. The series and manga are pretty much dead in sales and popularity. It would be a miracle if it returned.

40. reiatsuflow Well-Known Member

The anime is farther behind the manga today than it was when it neared the finale of the arrancar arc, and currently only one chapter closer than it was when it entered the zan reb arc back in 2009. Maybe studio perriot is changing this up, but right now there is no indication that bleach is taking a break or on hiatus, nor is there a standard to suggest that's the case (if we're speaking generally, the standard would suggest the opposite).

For now the bleach anime is no longer airing.

The heuco mundo arc was cut off: June 30th, 2009, at chapter 340.
    At that time, chapter 363 was released.
    How close the anime got to the manga three years ago: 23 chapters away

The arrancar arc concluded: feb 9th, 2011
    The fullbring arc in the manga began in October 2010, and on feb 10th chapter 436 was released.
    How close the anime got to the manga over a year ago: 12 chapters away.

At this point in time, as of episode 361 airdate, the anime is 22 chapters behind. Considering the projected end date, bleach will likely use more chapters per episode in the upcoming weeks than usual. This will be a unique situation in which the anime 'chooses' to use more chapters than usual since it's going off the air and no longer needs to prolong itself (meaning if bleach wasn't cancelled, this would be moot).
    Otherwise, considering their average of 2 chapters per episode, the anime likely wouldn't gain 10 chapters on the manga by the time it concludes, as it typically only gains one chapter on the manga per episode when rounded month to month (and this two chap average has been the consistent basis for years and years of canon). In other words, if it was 'business as usual' this arc would conclude being no farther behind than a year ago, and likely being only marginally farther ahead than three years ago accounting for the one-off filler episodes the anime would have peppered here and there.

Basically, there is no indication bleach is 'only' taking a break, and no indication fillers are responsible unless/until official word says differently. If you want to jump to conclusions, the only reasonable conclusions are exactly that: ratings, and the unpopularity of this arc that might have contributed to the ratings. Maybe their filler practice these past three years have proved very unsuccessful- who knows (ratings wise the zan arc actually had the highest average since soul society). There's just no strong indication one way or the other right now.

41. Mdri Well-Known Member

It's sad indeed, but nothing that surprised me.

42. futurefrog Banned

As the original article states, Bleach is cancelled due to declining sales, ratings, popularity and all around profit. The series isn't making money anymore, so it has to stop costing money. Hence it is cancelled.

43. Minzara The One and Only

Hmm, slightly sucks. Why am I not more depressed? lol Guess I will have to read the manga now to get the ending. Would of been more depressed if this happened during the SS arc.

And being replaced by a Naruto show....ouch that hurts for hardcore Bleach fans.

Slightly sucks we may not have the final arc animated though.

44. [S-A-F] Cobraholic

When did the decline start exactly? To me after the Turn back the Pendulum arc the anime started really getting awful with the budget. I remember the Sword filler having good direction but then the Fake Kurakura town war looked like garbage and was heavily censored.

Then theirs all of those awful Bleach movies they make. Why is it so hard to make a 1 hour 30 minute animated feature about super powered samurai fighting?

45. voozel chill (o Y o)

sad Y_Y but expected ..i liked bleach anime fights..bleach is all about fights anyway

46. futurefrog Banned

Well the first time the series ever saw a decline in ratings and sales was during the New Captain Amagai filler arc after Grimmjow fight. The DVD sales of this arc were a record low for the series and the rating were the first time the series dropped into the undesirable territory. But considering it was filler, TV Tokyo and Studio Pierrot surely chalked it up to that. Now that the Fake Karakura Town arc and even more so the Fullbring arc sold like shit and rated far below its competitiors, it was time to end the series.

Also in terms of ratings the following series currently rank higher than Bleach:
    - One Piece
    - Naruto
    - Hunter x Hunter
    - Beelzebub
    - Toriko
    - Phi Brain
    - Sket Dance
    - Gintama
    - Detective Conan

Just to name a few. They are all far above Bleach in ratings and sales by the way.

47. santanico those vivid days...

So it is getting the Rurouni Kenshin treatment

48. SunnyMoonstone Better then you

There is no reason given or said anywhere about why they are doing this. In fact the only thing said that is the blach anime is end march 27 and Rock Lee will be taking that time-slot...and that's it for any official statements. Everything else is people guessing.

49. [S-A-F] Cobraholic

I figured much. Once the anime started censoring the hell out of the fights around late hueco mundo it went downhill in sales. Serves Pierrot right. Hopefully it'll be a reminder to them not to put so much restriction over content in the future.I knew the other series were more popular than Bleach but wow Beezlebubs lame anime is even more popular than Bleach? :rotfl

50. scaramanga Member

Finally.
    Kubotroll FTW.