1. The Konoha Kennel is back! As a subsection to the Chatterbox, discuss your favorite fauna-related topics at a fun and laid-back pace. From animals to zoos, it's your one-stop destination for critter lovers!

Best and Worst Seasons of Digimon?

Discussion in 'Television' started by PikachuAsuncion, Mar 7, 2011.

1. PikachuAsuncion Konahagakure's Gossip Mongrel

I only liked Seasons 1, 2, and 4.

the rest we're eh.

Especially the ones after Frontier.

I just want to know what your opinions of the digimon seasons.
    So, what did you think?

2. Stunna caelum non sufficit Moderator

Tamers was, and will always be, my favorite season.

3. Comic Book Guy Cassandra Cain Fanboy Advisor

Adventure 01 > Tamers > Adventure 02 for me.

Frontier was. . . no. Just no.

Looking back on it, I liked Tamers the best. . . but Adventure 01 is nostalgic.

And fuck the distant finale.

4. The Potential We weren't behind the bush..

My favorites were, Adventure 01, Frontier and Adventure 02. Tamers being my least favorite, but I still enjoyed it.

Anything after that is nonexistent to me.

5. Fleet Admiral Akainu A.K.A. Frank Grimes

I've only seen 1-4 seasons.

Tamers>AD1>Frontier>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AD2(but still good:))

6. Ben Grimm Kicking the Hulk's Ass

The original was always the best.

7. tari101190 Active Member

season 3 tamers was the best for me.

season 4 frontier was the worst for me. although the evolution's looked the best in frontier.

8. Seto Kaiba God Hand Crusher

Adventure 01>Tamers>Adventure 02>Savers>Frontier for me

9. DemonDragonJ The User

First, this is not the appropriate sub-forum to discuss this topic; the Konoha TV: Channel 12 forum, found X, is the place for such a topic.

As for the actual subject of the thread, the traits that make a season of Digimon the "best" or "worst" are completely subjective, so I shall instead state which season are my favorite, which I actualyl have done before.

The first season of Digimon, Digimon Adventure, is still my favorite, because it seemed to have one of the most epic plots and simply was something new at the time that I watched it. Plus, it had some of my favorite villains in the franchise (namely, Vamdemon and the Dark Masters).

My second favorite season was season five, Digimon Savers, because of its departure from the art style and themes of the first several seasons. In this season, the main characters were much older than those of the previous seasons, even adults and parents had Digimon partners and went to the Digital World, and it also had the only genuinely evil human charatcer in a Digimon series thus far, Akihiro Kurata, who therefore is my favorite villain after Vamdemon.

After those seasons, season three, Tamers, is my third favorite, and seasons two and four, Adventure 02 and Frontier, respectively, are my least favorite of the completed seasons. I liked Tamers because it was slightly darker and more dramatic than the first two seasons, but Savers better executed that idea in my mind, and Adventure 02 and Frontier were too similar to Adventure for them to be my favorites.

The current season, Digimon Xros Wars, is still running, so I shall wait until it is finished to decide where it is among my favorite seasons, but it currently is tied with Digimon Savers for second place after Digimon Adventure.

And if anyone is planning to re-watch these series, I absolutely recommend that you watch them in their original Japanese language with subtitles, as I found the English dubbed voices to be extremely poor in comparison to the originals, plus a great amount of content was censored from the series when they were brought over to the United States, a process of which I absolutely do not approve. Fansubs of the older series can be found around the internet, so I definitely believe that it is worth the time and effort that would be spent downloading them to see them in their original and uncensored form.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  10. The810kid Active Member

Tamers was undderrated I'd say it was just as good as Adventure 01. I'd say Adventure 02 was my favorite season and Frontiers isn't as bad as the hate it gets.

11. CrazyMoronX Old Man

I only saw 4 episodes from the first season.

It was the best season.

12. Kαrin &#803

Best - Season 1

Worst - Seasons after the 2nd one

13. The Potential We weren't behind the bush..

This isn't the only place ive seen Frontier get a bad name. I'd like to know why this is everyones least favorite??

14. Evolet Fabulous

^ I actually didn't mind Frontiers, looking back now. Didn't like it at first, but learned to appreciate the different approach they made.

As for the best season, imho, Tamers, "worst", S2.

15. Fleet Admiral Akainu A.K.A. Frank Grimes

I really liked that season. Its only downside would be around the introduction of the royal knights till they are defeated. It took a long time to resolve that to the point where it seemed to drag. Some plot points needed to be established such as the RKs absorbing the rest of the data and Empororgreymon and Magnagarurumon being inexperienced. But the rest felt like a waste of time. This lasted 10 episodes.

A lot of things made it a close favourite. The 10 legendary warrior spirits, everything about them was awesome. The characters were cool. I enjoyed Takuya, Koji, and Koichi the most. This season had arguebly the best finale. Lucemon was presented as a great threat, and was dealt with appropriately(unlike ADV2s finale). The season also lacked partners. Some may see this as a negative point, but usually the kids are nothing more than being put at risk. Seriously, why don't most villains just try killing them instead of always treating them as sideline viewers. My main point is it was good to see the kids actually take control and fight for the cause. The season is pretty much digimon power rangers:zaru

I could go on and on about why I hate ADV2 if not for Blackwargreymon.

16. The Potential We weren't behind the bush..

Ive heard that before, that it's lack of partners made it the worst. I also agree that towards the end it did kinda' drag on a bit. Another point I didn't like about this season was around the time Aldamon and Beowolfmon were introduced, it made the other characters pretty useless...

Still my second favorite season though.:distracted

17. Sennin of Hardwork Tales to Astonish

I liked AD1. AD2 and Tamers. Frontier was okay, however Lucemon sure was awesome, specially his "Satan Mode", I believe that was how it was called.

18. PikachuAsuncion Konahagakure's Gossip Mongrel

Well, I'm not that use to the forum. So, how do I move it?

19. PikachuAsuncion Konahagakure's Gossip Mongrel

I have a big adoration for Frontier actually. It's a tie for my favourite, along with ADV1. The characters, especially Kouji and Koichi, had swell back-stories. I also like how they could transformed into Digimon, not just depend on their partners. I also like Kouji, he was kind of a bad-ass. Which is kind of rare in the Digimon universe, no? Grant there are others, but he stood out. I also liked the character developement. The theme was also the best opening for Digimon. The first 3 we're too repetitive. And the ones after Frontier we're something I couldn't watch for more than an episode

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  20. The Potential We weren't behind the bush..

I also loved Frontiers opening. Oh, and about moving this thread. The mods will move it if they feel it doesn't need to be here. No worries.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUSzqnjakGM[/YOUTUBE]

American opening that is.:distracted

21. Shock Therapy Divine Power Monochrome

tamers was the best for me. it was the most epic imo.

22. Talon. Headshot tatertot

Frontiers by a long shot.

moar character involvement.

plus, Lobomon=God.

23. Fleet Admiral Akainu A.K.A. Frank Grimes

Thats some catchy shit:datass

24. Shade .

Tamers was by far the best in terms of story, characters and badassery of the Digimon involved.

25. 11wongjk2 Active Member

Our war game made s1 a whole lot better imo ( i am counting movies as part of the seasons)

26. The Potential We weren't behind the bush..

Favorite character.:datass

27. Comic Book Guy Cassandra Cain Fanboy Advisor

Kids turning into Digimon didn't do it for me.

That, and I didn't like a single character in Frontier. Not even one.

Which really surprises me. That's pretty damn rare for me to dislike a story to that extreme of a degree.

28. Waking Dreamer Dreamer King

Tamers > Adventures01 > Adventures02 >= Frontier

As said, kids turning into digimon was the wrong way to go imo...the designs were forgettable too.

Mega level design was just a combination of champion and Ultimate...instead of something original...it became a blur of designs.

29. Level7N00b Stainless Steel

Adventure 1 was beast, for obvious reasons. Adventure 2 was kinda just a follow up, but I did like the events that Ken brought to the story. Tamers, I didn't like. Rika was the only one I could even stand. Frontier was good because it was a change from the Digidestined having partners. I'm not eve going to talk about the trash that was Data Squad.

30. DemonDragonJ The User

You can contact a forum moderator, preferably by a private message (often shortened to "PM") and ask them to move it.

I do not like the English dub openings for the Digimon series, as they were drastically different from the original Japanese openings and simply were not as well-written (at least in my mind). If you wish to hear theme songs that are "catchy," I strongly suggest that you listen to the original Japanese openings and ending songs, for they better capture the true essence of the series and their themes, or at least they do, in my mind.

You did not like season five (whose proper name was Digimon Savers)? It was my favorite season after the first! I shall presume from the fact that you are using the English dub terms a the Digimon series. If that is true, I strongly suggest that you watch the entire series in its original Japanese language. Fansubs of Savers were being made long before it was licensed in the United States, so, I hope that you will forgive me for being rather curt, but you have no good excuse for not having seen the series in its original Japanese form. The Japanese versions have no censorship, far better voice acting (in my mind), and no stupid dialogue or poor attempts at humor inserted in nearly every scene. If you wish to watch these episodes, I can send you a link to the websites where they can be found by private message.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  31. Fleet Admiral Akainu A.K.A. Frank Grimes

I really liked the dub. They had funny moments and could handle the emotional moments very well(Blackwargreymon dialouge, Ken & Wormon moments, and Growlmon crying for Takato to not be afraid of him, stand out)

32. The Potential We weren't behind the bush..

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUihzNN0ees[/YOUTUBE]
    Nostalgia Attack!!!

This just brought back so many memories..:cry

33. Shark Skin The Heart[broken]

AD1, AD2. Started to lose track of Digimon after that. I watched some Tamers and it seemed alright. Also saw some Frontiers and thought it was bleh. Practically for the same reason that Gigawatts and WD mentioned.

34. The Potential We weren't behind the bush..

So it was the characters and lack of partners...

Understandable..

35. Fleet Admiral Akainu A.K.A. Frank Grimes

Thats a stupid reason.

Not having partners was good because..

the scenes could be focused on the battles. Although this was thrown out when only Takuya and Kogi were the only ones fighting.

the children could take credit instead of that teamwork nonsense that Tai and Davis liked to preach.

the children learned responsibility from having power.

we saw what it would be like to actually be a digimon. Tamers touched this as well.

36. The Potential We weren't behind the bush..

Hey, I'm right there with you man. I loved Frontier. The digivolutions were awesome, I loved every character.

The introduction of Duskmon and Koichi would have to be my favorite plot point in the series. It gave my favorite character Koji some good development, while introducing a new digidestined.

37. Waking Dreamer Dreamer King

^ It depends.

If you thought the concept of having a digital monster as a partner, to hangout with and have them fight for you was cool...well, you lose that aspect completely in Frontier.

Its more like Power Rangers where kids have devices to put on power suits and fight.

Adventures01 and Our War Game started the concept of fighting more closely alongside your Digimon where Tai gets injured with WGM against Piedmon, and he and Matt digitise themselves inot the internet to boost WGM and MG against Diaboromon.

Tamers took it to the next step by having Takato feel Guilmon's pain and eventually fused together to fight as one.

They tried one step further by having the kids always fighting but lost the whole partners completely. Obviously that didnt turn out so flash, since in the next season they went back to having the digimon partners again...

38. PikachuAsuncion Konahagakure's Gossip Mongrel

Ahh, I loved it for the first and somewhat for the second season. But it started getting really repetitive for the 3rd season. So Frontier's opening theme change was great. Like you said, very catchy. As for the Jap. Opening for Digimon Frontier, I found it lacking a sort of feeling to it. It was a nice song, but really didn't fit with Frontier.

39. The Potential We weren't behind the bush..

I suppose I'm just a sucker for humans transforming into beings of power. I never had a problem with partners, I think it's cool. But once Tamers introduced me into a humans actually becoming one with their digimon, I fell in love.

So Frontier was like my dreams come true. i suppose that concept wasn't all that popular considering it's follow ups, but it was nice to touch into that aspect of digidestined being digimon themselves.

Hey, to each his own.:amuse

40. Comic Book Guy Cassandra Cain Fanboy Advisor

Pretty much this.

Strange, I suppose, since I'm a big PR fan but dislike Frontier. Though, I never really liked any, not one of Frontier's characters.

Also didn't take to the Unified Spirit Digivolution. Sure, the Tai and Matt expies get their power-ups (Frontier's counterpart) but leaving the others without their powers? Bloody heck.

41. The Potential We weren't behind the bush..

I agree with that last bit. The only thing I didn't like about Frontier was the rest of the gang got gimp'd towards the end and the spotlight was on Takuya and Koji..

42. Fleet Admiral Akainu A.K.A. Frank Grimes

People were so used to seeing partners that they thought digimon was ruined. It was an interesting concept, and there's nothing wrong with having variety in the franchise. Its not like it stayed this way.

Now we have some kid hogging all the spotlight in xros wars. Seriously, thats a bigger issue people should be complaining about.

43. Enigma Active Member

I loved Frontier.

I'm not really eager to watch the other seasons because I feel that the kids are pretty useless as they sit at the sidelines and let the digimon fight for them.

Not to mention Frontier evolutions were awesome as fuck.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  44. The Potential We weren't behind the bush..

Yeah, I don't like that about Xros Wars... I'm also confused about the levels in that series to, considering how they digivolve...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  45. crazymtf The Owner of The Whity Show

LOVE your sig...matt looks badass there.

46. Level7N00b Stainless Steel

This. It was one flaw I had with Frontier. There was no reason why the others should not have been able to fusion evolve. Especially considering that Takuya and Koji got another evolution after that!

47. DemonDragonJ The User

It seems to me that Digimon Xros Wars has done away with the concept of evolution stages, a tactic that I do not like, but it does help to make battles more fair between contestants. In the first five seasons, if Digimon of two different levels fought (such as an adult-level and against a perfect-level or a perfect-level against an ultimate-level), the Digimon of the lower stage would usually have no chance at all of victory unless they could evolve to a higher level (the only exceptions to this rule seem to be adult-level Angemon, who fought evenly with perfect-level Vamdemon, and perfect-level Holy Angemon, who fought evenly with ultimate-level Black War Greymon). In this season, fights are less predictable and more interesting because there is no way to measure the power of the combatants.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  48. Wuzzman Active Member

Best season 1 worst season toss up between Savers and Xros. Humans don't punch digimon. Levels should be respected its part of the lore for a reason.

49. The Potential We weren't behind the bush..

Completly agree. That egg of Seraphimon was stingy with his powers. He should have did the same for the others as he did with Koji and Takuya. Would have made things more even..

Well that concept has been apart of Digimon since the very begining, and I think they handled it quite well. Honeslty, the only time levels was made that apparent was when the digidestined had to take on a mega level. Mega level being a stage that most digimon don't reach, so it's power far exceeds any other level. Hell, a trained mega level can take down eight ultimates and two fresh megas.

Besides those few occasions, team work took down most Digimon that were stronger then them.

I respect your opinion though..

50. PikachuAsuncion Konahagakure's Gossip Mongrel

^ This! I watched the first episode of Savers, and I really thought it was pointless punching Digimon. Especially when they're 20x bigger than you, and I don't care if you're really great at fighting. I really thought it was awful