1. Miss Akihabara 2017: Preliminary Round: Nominations & Qualifications (inc. Naruto and one piece).
    Is currently being held in the Akihabara district, visit the thread here to find out more.

Battledome Conversation: Eternal Kingdom of Kek

Discussion in 'Naruto Battledome' started by Reznor, Mar 1, 2016.

Best anime you've watched?

1. Attack on Titan

9.6%
  2. Berserk

5.3%
  3. Clannad: After Story

4.4%
  4. Cowboy Bebop

13.2%
  5. Death Note

13.2%
  6. Dragon Ball Z

11.4%
  7. Fate: Zero

7.9%
  8. FLCL

7.0%
  9. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

35.1%
  10. Hunter X Hunter

26.3%
  11. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

11.4%
  12. Legend of the Galactic Heroes

8.8%
  13. Mirai Nikki

4.4%
  14. Mushishi

5.3%
  15. Naruto

18.4%
  16. One Piece

6.1%
  17. One-Punch Man

12.3%
  18. Puella Magi Madoka Magica

4.4%
  19. Ruroni Kenshin

7.9%
  20. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

9.6%
  21. Yu Yu Hakusho

9.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Saru slave to ambition Moderator

Its personality trait is rage. Mimikyu's personality trait is being insecure.

2. Matty Kamui Kid

3. Badalight JOJO

fair point, but it still doesn't create completely identical bedsheets

4. Dr. White Smell nice? it's Moonflower

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  5. Matty Kamui Kid

Happy New Year to everyone! Hoping the coming year is good to you all and that @Nikushimi will return once more

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  6. Saru slave to ambition Moderator

this year i'm going to try to be more open to Sound 4 vs. threads

new year new me :cantrustleme

maybe it colors them with the same dye something :mlpshrug

two Viceroys can look like a surprisingly similar shade of orange

7. Jinnobi Active Member

It's a new year for Jinnobi, lads. I'm back and ready for action.

I'm okay with about 80% of the old shit being wiped. Splinter of the Mind's Eye, anyone?
    I am salty about the Young Jedi Knight series being thrown under the bus, though - specifically, on how the excellent portrayal of Qui-Gon Jinn being nothing more than a glorified fanfic at this point. Always had a soft spot for my two favorite Jedi. Jinn + Obi.

8. Daenerys Stormborn Mother of Dragons Retired Mod

9. Sadgoob Dream Bigly

I can't imagine 2017 being better than 2016, but it probably will be. Wew lad! Happy New Year!

10. Alex Payne a Char

Except Saru.

11. Badalight JOJO

And the year of the monkey is coming to an end :( (Chinese New Year is in feb so I still got a little more than a month). That's my zodiac.

Was a pretty good year, but fuck that went by quick. I can't believe it, but I guess I did a lot looking back. Went to HK for a month in Feb, went to Washington DC in March, moved to Denver for a month in May to get my CELTA, and then moved to Japan in July and been here ever since.

12. Sadgoob Dream Bigly

I think your Chinese year is supposed to be unlucky. (Unlucky every 12 years.)

13. Bonly Fire Fist

Finished Ass class and enjoyed it though the ending had me tearing up like crazy. Went ahead and binged watched academia and loved it and started watching Gangsta which is pretty good so far. Getting an account with Funimation and Crunchyroll is really coming in clutch.

I don't know about others but you're a hipster to me from now on.

On lee c blod wen a nin ja cry.

Fuck you guys

Bout time your year has come to an end, it's my year now, the year of the COCK!

14. Badalight JOJO

15. Badalight JOJO

I prob hold an extra sentimental value for those kinds of stories being a teacher myself and all. The anime kind of rushes through the last arc though, which is unfortunate, but it still does a good job of nailing the emotional moments.

The final government plan also has a few potential unexplained plotholes where I think certain shit could've been avoided, but whateverrrrrr.

I never finished Gangsta, but that's a fascinating show due to it being I believe the last anime that studio did before going bankrupt and going out of business. You can just see their studio falling apart through that show as it goes on. You get scenes where the animators just forgot to draw arms for people, etc. It's pretty wild. Sad because they were a good studio.

16. Winchester Gospel Taking a Break Advisor

I remember when Manglobe first started making shows and everyone in the blogosphere thought they were the second coming. Then Sacred Blacksmith came out. :lmao

17. Sadgoob Dream Bigly

So did y'all see that mentally handicapped man get kidnapped/tortured on video for being white because they believed he voted Trump? Wew lad, thank you liberal media for all that propaganda this last year.

18. Badalight JOJO

Media on all sides is garbage. Those who don't shout don't get heard. Leads to what we have today. Don't know the vid you're talking about but that's fucked.

19. Badalight JOJO

btw who was the person watching hxh and how far are you

20. Mr.Blonde The grip must be delicate!

Sure they made a kid with Down syndrome drink toilet water and literally(Hitler!) scalped him. But is that really worse than Spencer's Nazi salute?

21. Badalight JOJO

I'm not defending either of these actions, obviously, but that's a silly comparison to make. What even is your argument here?

22. Sadgoob Dream Bigly

23. Badalight JOJO

Already looked it up out of morbid curiosity. Wish I hadn't though.

24. Drake WORK MAKES YOU FREE

25. Ersa Active Member

Haha, still working my way through Heavens Arena, been a little slow because of part-time work and New Years celebrations. It's getting better in my eyes although my opinion of the first two arcs remains low.

Looking forward to the next arc which supposedly is the best.

26. Matty Kamui Kid

Rogue One was solid. Vader scene at the end was pretty badass

27. Drake WORK MAKES YOU FREE

Just finished Stardust Crusaders. It was decent overall but it also dragged on for far too long, and The World vs Star Platinum was extremely disappointing considering how the fights in JJBA are usually pretty good. It was definitely a lot better than Parts 1 and 2, though.

@Saru, @Badalight how was the Part 4 anime?

28. Badalight JOJO

The final fight in part 3 is awesome and it's one of the most iconic fights in all of manga/anime.

That being said, the production values on that fight in the newest adaption really took a nosedive. It should have looked the best, not the worst.

P3 is indeed dragged out, purposefully so, because it's a cash cow. Also its about 150 manga chapters making it much longer than 1 and 2 which combined are only like 120. Part 4 is slightly longer than 3, yet the anime has 39 eps compared to part 3's 48. That should tell you how much they slowed the pace down for 3.

Personally I like p2 waaaaay more than 3 and 1 which are at the bottom of all 8 parts for me. Part 4 is both good in the manga and I thought the adaptation was fantastic. The jojo community as a whole seems kind of split on it though, and I'm not sure why. I think as an adaptation it's definitely better than p3.

29. Drake WORK MAKES YOU FREE

The thing I didn't like was how Jotaro randomly gains the ability to stop time and move around while time is supposedly stopped. Unless I completely missed something important, that has to be one of the biggest asspulls I have ever seen.

30. Badalight JOJO

That's fair, though biggest asspull you've ever seen? That's par for the course when it comes to shounen. Shit happens literally all the time. I don't like it either, but at least its very rare in jojos. I'll accept it after going through 30 strategical back to back battles where the heroes always win through strategy and not brute force or getting/showing some new ability.

Also while you didn't miss anything per say, you can extrapolate that The World is a hodge podge of the joestar family stands, which is also why it used hermit purples ability as well. Makes sense considering Dio has Jonathans body and you could argue that's just as much of Jonathans stand as it is Dio. Ergo time stop is actually Jotaros ability which is why the world also has it. And lastly we know from Dio that stands can grow as Dio went from 0.5 seconds to 5 seconds of timestop and he said it would keep growing indefinitely. It's not weird that Star Platinum got stronger, and its main ability was speed (and I guess the upgrade of speed is to move so fast that time is stopped?)

But regardless of the asspull, there's still tins of strategy and badassery in that final fight. I particularly like Jotaros magnet trick, him stopping his own heart but Dio wanting to chop off his head regardless, and if course the most famous scene in all of jojos ROAD ROLLERRRRR.

31. Badalight JOJO

Debatably the best. It's definitely in the top two in contention with one other super good arc (Though there's only 7 arcs in HXH and I personally consider the Zolydyck Arc as part of the Hunter exams because of length and content, but whatever). I find that a lot of manga people prefer the next arc, and the anime people tend to prefer the other arc - just as a general rule of thumb. I think that's just because he took so many hiatuses while working on that arc in the manga and it's super fucking long that people became jaded after reading it for years upon years. That also assuredly killed the momentum the arc had going for it. If that was me reading it, I'm sure I wouldn't have like it very much either. I don't even think the best arc in the world could save itself from that type of situation. As an anime though, people didn't have to wait for 5+ years or whatever to get the full story.

Anyway, the next arc is personally my second favorite. Though I wager it might be your favorite based on my limited understanding of your tastes. Suffice to say, it's probably closer to what you're used to than the other arc later on.

32. Drake WORK MAKES YOU FREE

Asspulls do happen all the time in shonens but I don't see Naruto or Bleach getting the kind of praise JJBA does, which is why I have higher standards for Jojo's. And the reason why I especially didn't like it this time was because almost every other fight was strategical and devoid of deus ex machina and so I expected the final and what should have been the best fight to surpass the ones that came before it, which it failed to do.

I could have accepted that if they had explained it better, but literally all they said was that Star Platinum and The World were "similar," and even that was only told to us during the final fight. They also should have shown Star Platinum exhibiting minor time manipulation in prior fights if they wanted to make it believable that it could stop time against Dio. Instead what we got was Star Platinum randomly gaining a completely new and powerful ability for the sole purpose of defeating The World.

The rest of the fight wasn't bad but it was heavily marred by the time stopping bullshit. I can't consider it a good fight because the only reason Jotaro won was because of that asspull.

33. Alex Payne a Char

I think Dio losing to another Time Stop is actually realistic in a sense. The World is too broken for it to be beaten by just tactics/tricks. And Dio himself is pretty crafty and smart. A bit of prior foreshadowing would have certainly helped though. Still one of my favorites fights ever. Especially when looked at as a culmination of a journey while including initial fights at the Mansion.

34. Alex Payne a Char

What the hell. Who put a scrolling bar into my GLORIOUS sig.

35. Badalight JOJO

He also won because of the sacrifices of his friends and Dio being overly cautious. I particularly like Dio in this fight because it's directly related to his past experiences with the Joestars. Old Dio was quite brash and always underestimated his opponents, but from Jonathan he learned that he can't treat the Joestars in that manner. Yet, this attitude actually led to his downfall. He knows the Joestars are a persistent family and they should be feared, and that led him to not finishing off Jotaro when he had the chance. He kept second guessing himself.

The asspull doesn't ruin it for me, specifically because it's something that is hardly ever used in Jojos (on the protagonists side anyway, happens a few times with the antagonist which I don't mind nearly as much). I believe Jotaro is the only egregious example of it. I give it a pass based on that on how good the fight is regardless, but if it mars the fight for you I'm not gonna argue. Just didn't bother me personally although I wish it weren't there.

36. Badalight JOJO

Also friendly reminder that if you pronounce the "x" in HunerxHunter you're the worst

37. Sadgoob Dream Bigly

Hunter ex Hunter
    Hunter times Hunter
    Hunter multiplied by Hunter

And the fucking pleb way "Hunter Hunter."

38. Badalight JOJO

If by pleb way you mean the right way as confirmed by Togashi then yeh, I guess.

39. Sadgoob Dream Bigly

41. Drake WORK MAKES YOU FREE

Why the fuck is that 'x' even there then? I've been pronouncing it wrong this whole time...

42. Winchester Gospel Taking a Break Advisor

I said Hunter Hunter because I never bothered to look up the actual pronunciation, but I think I'll stick with Hunter times Hunter for now.

lol @ the scrolling sigs.

43. Matty Kamui Kid

Have always said Hunter x Hunter and will not stop

44. Badalight JOJO

But you should've been hinted off based on the episode titles which are all "Something x Something". Clearly the intention isn't to pronounce the X. Also, what the fuck would the title mean if you pronounced the X? Hunter Hunter makes sense for the context of the show. Gon is a hunter and he is hunting a hunter (Ging) Ergo he is a Hunter Hunter. Just as there are gourmet hunters and artifact hunters and so many other types of hunters, Gon is a Hunter Hunter. Pronouncing the x completely butchers the meaning of the title.

Anyway, Togashi gave the reasoning for the X in an interview. When writing out Hunter Hunter he thought the title looked a bit silly, so he put an X in the middle to make it look cool and give it some sort of balance. That's literally it.

He is right though. Hunter Hunter vs. HunterxHunter. One of the right looks cooler.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  45. Sadgoob Dream Bigly

46. Winchester Gospel Taking a Break Advisor

If he thought it looked silly, he should have called it something else. :catskully

Probably finished his replay of Dragon Quest and was too busy trying to borrow Idolmaster from Miura to be bothered to come up with a half-decent title, RIP.

47. Badalight JOJO

48. Rocky ~ Much Quality ~

I brought up HxH to my brother and he was like "what the fuck is 'Hunter ex Hunter', it's 'Hunter Hunter'" and he never even watched HxH.

49. Badalight JOJO

That's because your brother isn't a pleb

50. Rocky ~ Much Quality ~

I know, after that I just laid face down on a hardwood floor for 47 minutes.