1. Fancy yourself a sleuth, evil mastermind, debating pro, and/or just plain love One Punch Man? If so, sign up for Akihabara Lounge's first Mafia game, themed on One Punch Man.

LINK
  2. Hey you

Yeah you!

Have you always wanted to impress Gordon Ramsey with your culinary skills?

Well you can't...

But you can impress the NF community by joining the Cooking Contest in the Bento Box!

And we promise we won't make you cry like him.
  3. Throwback Naruto : Hidden Village of Art has launched a new contest related to Naruto where Love and Spring is in the air, until next June 21.
    To know more click on the link: Spring Canon Pairings Drawing contest !!

Banning Mael/Tone Policing in the Cafe

Discussion in 'Questions & Complaints' started by baconbits, Dec 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seto Kaiba God Hand Crusher

He started going out of his mind after a while, and his actions got pettier and pettier, particularly with people he had beef with. Not only that he was an out and open racist just @ZeroTheDestroyer or @Marth6789 and the wonderful staff here not only sat on their hands on it for the longest time, they even rewarded him with the comfy position of advisor for all his troubles.

I'm glad Amanda is mod, whenever she is around, she does a good job. shadow is to me just Mega on the other end of the spectrum, at least he's getting that way.

2. baconbits Moderator

Krory hates when people praise him. Its his kryptonite.

3. Mider T VM Rapist

That's because you haven't been here to see what Mega USED to be like. He was quite the rational and level-headed fellow many years ago.

4. Dragon D. Luffy You can only cry when it's all over.

A mod can't be a troll. It's contradictory. Unless it's a forum about trolling, but the Cafe isn't the case.

5. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

IIRC Mega began losing it around the time of the 2014 Gaza War. I don't know if he was maybe personally affected by it? At least his hatered of Muslims in general and Arabs in particular seemed to reach a new level after that.

6. Stunna The Voyager Moderator

7. aiyanah finesse

8. Dragon D. Luffy You can only cry when it's all over.

The classic definition is making inflamatory posts/threads on purpose just to create salt and laugh at it.

That's what Mega was doing, and I don't see mods doing that myself often.

If it's all forms of pranking, then I can say mods do it.

9. jayjay³² Drug Addict

Staff says "ya we can do better with consistency"

This thread
    - discusses a member's ban in public (when this is against the rules)
    - discusses criticisms of a staff member in public (when it should be in the SCR)
    - has staff members literally pinning everything on a single mod for the events that transpired (when this isn't ethical)
    -- then staff members telling posters to stop getting mad at that single staff member (when they literally asked for it)
    - is derailed by insecure rambling justifications about why forum punishments are completely inconsistent (when they can just admit each staff member has a different emotional configuration that determines the flavor of their section modding) when historical moderating is questioned
    -- from multiple staff comedians who don't even mod this forum like Kitsune and Toby but somehow are completely integral in how this larger system works and why, conveniently, nobody in the staff is at fault

This is without a doubt the worst version of NF staff this forum has ever seen. Please just resign if you guys think handled this issue and thread correctly. :laugh

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. aiyanah finesse

11. Law Godfather Moderator

If someone is disruptive only in one section, and otherwise is a positive influence in other places, then a section ban can make sense over a general forum ban.

Not every staff member likes to use section bans instead of forum bans, and some like to use them as a lesser punishment.

Some sections also have stricter or looser rules for behavior than others, whether you like it or not. In such a situation, it's not always appropriate to forum ban just because they're being banned from a section.

Repeat offenders and disruptive posters with a history of not showing improvement when banned in the past will be given less leeway when they act out. As it should be. And when a person is warned over and over that their behavior is inappropriate, it doesn't matter what the final offense was that caused the ban button to be pressed, it's the overall judgment of the poster that is being handed out and that poster's history that is being taken into account. If you consistently walk the line so closely that you keep being warned and almost being banned, eventually your behavior is going to catch up to you, and whatever the post was that finally caught you is irrelevant.

The Cafe is not the Blender. Wanting the ability to do and say whatever you want without facing any consequence is childish and not something you're going to get in the Cafe or anywhere outside that one place.

There's nothing wrong with shadow's decision regarding Mael. And it wasn't just him making the decision, either. No one makes decisions like that alone, and no one does so lightly. It's easy to assume everyone is just a troll and thinks it's fun to ban people, but it couldn't be further from the truth.

Most of this thread is just white noise, and it's getting old. I've been a member (member, not staff) of this forum longer than most, and there are a lot of problems on this site. However, the notion that the staff is the primary or even secondary among them is a tragic joke.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Mider T VM Rapist

We just said that Mega wasn't always like that.

13. Magilou 「Maginpui~!!」

14. Magilou 「Maginpui~!!」

15. Seto Kaiba God Hand Crusher

Hahaha I see why they put you on the staff. This entire post is garbage.

THE STAFF ISN'T THE PROBLEM IT'S NEVER BEEN THE PROBLEM NOPE.

Try to read if you are going to take up for them will you?

Punishment, within reason. Shadow had no reason to permaban Mael, even he had to admit to the fact that the post wasn't worthy of it. By Cafe's standards it was not particularly noteworthy. So he had to, and constantly, change his story. Conjure reasons on why it was justified. Mael's 10+ year history, then next it wasn't just shadow so shadow can't be blamed more or less passing the buck, etc. You guys are incompetent.

16. Law Godfather Moderator

:saitamapathy

17. Seto Kaiba God Hand Crusher

I mean it is pretty funny you just affirmed what I stated about you guys before.

18. Law Godfather Moderator

You will only ever hear what you want to hear, which is why no one will take your complaints seriously.

19. jayjay³² Drug Addict

Yes, you must know a lot! A mod who was promoted 2 months ago telling everyone that they're completely wrong about the staff!

20. Seto Kaiba God Hand Crusher

The irony of someone on the staff saying this is hilarious for all the time I've been here. That's all you guys ever do.

You guys never take anything that has to do with yourselves well, and you are the perfect example of such. Someone perpetuating the circlejerk.

21. Magilou 「Maginpui~!!」

"And by constantly changed I mean kept saying the same reason from start to finish."

22. Law Godfather Moderator

Someone who's been here 6 years longer than you as a member, actually. My green name didn't change my opinions.

I see a minority of loud whiners pretending they speak for everyone. Period.

If you have constructive criticism without resorting to being an asshole, it gets listened to. When you constantly berate and insult to try and get your point across-- you get ignored.

I won't discuss the specifics of Mael's ban, nor should anyone else. I won't discuss the specifics of shadow, or how bans are decided, either.

23. aiyanah finesse

this from suits or summin else?

24. Seto Kaiba God Hand Crusher

Then you are blind and/or in denial. I am definitely seeing why they put you on the staff...

I have given plenty of constructive criticism, and the staff have always been as they often are when such things are presented to them, been petty and passive-aggressive about receiving such. You're giving me the same tired rhetoric I've seen countless times from you all. Only a meager few of you actually living up to your responsibilities.

You are just using it an excuse to justify incompetence, because guys like you weren't listening when people were being polite.

Then you have nothing to contribute here. Like I stated before, you're just continuing that staff circlejerk of incompetence.

25. Lucaniel non serviam

what are the primary and secondary or tertiary problems on this site according to you as a newly assimilated member of the staff borg collective who is contractually obliged to never allow any suggestion that the staff could do anything wrong

im aware its silly of me to reply but i wanted to pick up on a couple of things here for the thread as a whole

public discussion of stuff like this is, imo, far better than confining it to the SCR. insofar as anything prevents the staff from doing whatever they want (so nothing, really, but accept my premise for the moment), it's strong public disapproval/resistance to their actions. and in the SCR, no-one except you and the staff borg can see your discussions, which gives them the always-utilised option to pile on you as a mob and then indefinitely leave your complaint hanging

discussing it in public usually creates a far more equal dynamic and also allows for transparency which is sorely needed

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  26. Law Godfather Moderator

Oh I'd go so far as to say we account for the tertiary problems!

You have primary or secondary in this thread, already. Don't need me to show you.

Would you like to get back on-topic, or are we just trying to give Dream something to delete?

27. Lucaniel non serviam

solid attempted deflection but the subject of whether the staff is a major problem on nf is definitely on-topic in a thread about whether or not the staff is ruining the cafe

but what's the primary and secondary problems, name them

28. Nighty the Mighty I swim in outer space Super Moderator

also I almost just said "they" rip rop

29. Lucaniel non serviam

they can, of course, but it's publicly-visible so we can all shit on them for doing it

30. jayjay³² Drug Addict

100% agree. My point was that if someone else made this thread, it would've been SCR'd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.