1. Fancy yourself a sleuth, evil mastermind, debating pro, and/or just plain love One Punch Man? If so, sign up for Akihabara Lounge's first Mafia game, themed on One Punch Man.

LINK
  2. Hey you

Yeah you!

Have you always wanted to impress Gordon Ramsey with your culinary skills?

Well you can't...

But you can impress the NF community by joining the Cooking Contest in the Bento Box!

And we promise we won't make you cry like him.
  3. Throwback Naruto : Hidden Village of Art has launched a new contest related to Naruto where Love and Spring is in the air, until next June 21.
    To know more click on the link: Spring Canon Pairings Drawing contest !!

Baccano!

Discussion in 'Akihabara Novel Corner' started by halfhearted, Jun 25, 2010.

1. halfhearted The gaze into the sun Advisor

Masterpieces is an understatement, my new acquaintance <3

In a fit of fandom, I've printed off the transcripts for those novels which have been completely scanlated to have and read hard copies. I've yet to give in and set to binding them properly, though. Other than that (and the PC), I have downloaded copies of a few of the novels on my iTouch.

Me too! It's such a nice surprise.

Well, they grew up in the same apartment building, and Firo's considered to be a surrogate brother in a sense. Not on the same level as Claire but in a similar fashion.

I'm not sure if the families themselves have an unspeakable understanding with one another. It's more like they have a healthy respect for one another with personal ties to certain associates which gives that respect a greater base. Plus, they are both relatively small organizations, so they can't afford to act in certain ways. Less so after all of the major players became immortals but nonetheless the point stands.

I do agree with the idea that they seem to be closer to one another than one might expect from the Mafia and Camorra.

I can almost understand that viewpoint. The thought of having to act in such a manner for all eternity makes my stomach twist in pity. He seems like such a simple man in a negative way, whereby he grows and develops even less than those who often find such ventures impossible (i.e. Elmer).

At this point, my best guess is an inferiority/superiority complex combo centered around typical alpha male behavior, whereby he's constantly trying to prove to himself that he's powerful by putting others in positions of powerlessness. By joining the FBI, he's basically sanctioned to act in this manner and given the funds to support those actions. Not only that, but he is able to feel morally above those he apprehends as well as physically, mentally, etc., despite how his attitude and actions put him on the same level (or below) as those he persecutes.

It bothered me as well. The DRRR!! manga is on a similar level. Maybe Narita's work just wasn't made to be adapted to manga form.

2. Ziko Superhero

What app do you use to read them? The PDF reader I got is really "laggy" when I scroll and such.

3. 12hadoooo0 Active Member

Are the translated volume downloads scanlated?

4. halfhearted The gaze into the sun Advisor

Update! Not to repeat myself, but t's wonderful to have these appear so very often all of a sudden.

1934 Alice in Jails (Prison Episode): Prologue 4: Unspecified Time (http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Baccano:Volume9_Prologue4)

I use Files lite (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=294150896&mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D6). It works well enough for me without there being significant lag, but I mostly appreciate it for the organization tools. And, it should probably be noted that my iTouch has gone through everything from being thrown out of the window during a car roll-over to full underwater submersion, so I'm just impressed that it functions at all most days.

Which is to say, my standards are pretty low and the program might not be an improvement as compared to the software you are using.

Yes. The only translations released for the novels are by awesome and hardworking fans. Unfortunately, no official move has been made to publish the novels in English.

5. Kikyo Some day...

6. Ralphy♥ 愛あなた永遠あな

Pretty much everyones favorite characters after walking away from the anime. After reading the novels you find how brilliant all the other characters are like Huey Laforet, Tick Jefferson, Elmer C. Albatross, and Luck Gandor to name a short few.

You find yourself eagerly awaiting more novel translations if only to get a glimpse of your fan favs <3

lol, Megan pretty much baptized me into the Huey fandom; I can't get enough of him now
    The Baccano! novels pretty much traverse the Anime/Manga/Light Novel medium. Pretentious of me to say, but I'd put the series right up there with my copy of The Catcher in the Rye, Of Mice and Men, and Catch-22. Nothing short of magnificent, how Narita even came up with this brilliance is beyond me.
    Listen to this women, she knows what she's talking about <3
    I bet you'd try to get it as professionally made as possible :hurr

It's actually something one can do as long as one has the tools.
    I love how the Gandor family is relatively small yet still commands a ton of influence throughout New York. I was actually really surprised to see that the Gandor's were against drug trafficking in general, I'm wondering if it had to do with there organization being so small and them simply not wanting any unnecessary attention.
    Manga contrives the spirit of Narita's work; haha, that and it pretty much makes a mockery of it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  7. Mider T VM Rapist

Don't you think you're going a bit too far?:sag

8. Ralphy♥ 愛あなた永遠あな

9. Deathbringerpt Dreamer of Possibilities

So i just found out that Narita wrote an official novel for the Castlevania franchise.

Now i want to read it.

10. Ziko Superhero

So I see that The Slash and Alice in Jails has a lot of chapters translated by now, how much is left of these two until the whole text is finished like Rolling Bootlegs and Drugs and Dominoes?

11. Ralphy♥ 愛あなた永遠あな

The amount of time it takes depends solely on the translators working on the project. Releases can pop up once every three to six month, or grace us in rapid succession every few weeks like what we've been seeing recently; again it's entirely in the hands of the translators.

Baka-Tsuki just got a new translator for the Baccano! series recently, so I think it's safe to say we'll be seeing quite a few translations in the coming months. I won't give a specific date as too when we should see a novel completed, but I'm hoping within the next six to eight months.

12. Ziko Superhero

Yeah, but I was wondering how many chapters was left on those two volumes :p

13. Ralphy♥ 愛あなた永遠あな

Novels being worked on/Chapters left on each project

1931: The Grand Punk Railroad - Local Episode
    -4 chapters translated
    -6 chapters left

1931: The Grand Punk Railroad - Express Episode
    -3 chapters translated
    -7 chapters left

2001: The Children of Bottle
    -7 chapters translated
    -5 chapters left

1933: The Slash ~Cloudy to Rainy~
    -9 chapters translated
    -2 chapters left

1934: Alice in Jails - Prison Episode
    -8 chapters translated
    -8 chapters left

2002: Bullet Garden [A-side]

-?
    -?

*Note: I counted every novel entry as its own chapters (Prologue, Epilogue, Misc included)

14. halfhearted The gaze into the sun Advisor

It was very sweet. I was surprised at how saavy Isaac was to the situation; his making an excuse to get Miria out of harm's way made me smile. And, I love the recurring, continuous babble of pop culture, media, etc. references which just pour out of the pair at any given moment. It was even more silly than usual this time around, probably due to their being entertainment for the drunks.
    I don't think they command much influence throughout New York, at least from what we have seen so far. They do seem to get respect in a general way from law enforcement and the public. This might have a lot to do with both Luck's and Keith's strategizing, as well as their being true outlaws in the sense of being men outside the law who uphold a code of honor and responsibility. And, the men themselves (as compared to the organization as a whole) do get a little respect from those who are like family to them. But, beyond that, New York itself (along with the major criminal activities therein) appears to be led by the larger, referred to but unseen organizations.

Just looking to how the family acquired the territory in the first place demonstrates their hard-won but minor sphere of power.

The organization's apparent ban on drug-dealing in the long term was mainly because Keith is the head of the family and would in no way condone drug trafficking due to how those drugs would adversely affect the citizens he's paid to protect. Even if the cash is won through extortion and the like, Keith (and by necessary extension his brothers) feels a responsibility to honor the agreement in which the money was acquired, rendering service as a shield which keeps his territory's populace from harm.

In the short term, I'd agree that power was another roadblock. Or, to be more correct, while they had the power to enter into the drug trade, they didn't have the experience or knowledge to operate in said trade with certain success. And so, rather than losing the respect and confidence of both the citizenry and the other organizations by trend-hopping and faltering in the process, they are staying with the trade they know.

15. Kikyo Some day...

It seemed that Isaac was working harder than usual. Partly because of their audience and partly because of the extra audience members. It really surprised me that Isaac noticed and got Miria out of the way in such a natural manner.

Baccano sticks to fairly small areas (like blocks, small blocks) in the city. And it's a BIG city with a LOT of people. Narita keeps their interactions pretty well confined to Gandor and Martillo territory where the brothers are well known and respected. Go to an area with a different police precinct outside of those territories, and I'd lay even odds that most of the cops will have no idea who the Gandors are at all. But then, when they travel outside their area, they also keep a pretty low profile to stay out of their notice as well.

16. Ziko Superhero

Any new translations? Just finished the two finished texts, and I need more! But reading bits and pieces of novels isn't really my style :p

17. Ralphy♥ 愛あなた永遠あな

It's going to be a while before we see another finished text, Alice in Jails & The Slash may be seeing completion soon but it could be up to a year before we see them completed in there entirety.

Translators tend to take their time with the Baccano! novels

-------

After rereading The Rolling Bootlegs & The Drugs and The Dominoes and then rewatching the anime adaptation you can really see the differences between the two. I was utterly devastated with how the anime handled the 4th novels material.

4th novel adapted displeasure's

-Luck was completely out of character
    -There was no Roy or Edith
    -Tick Jefferson cuts (arghhhh!)
    -Gandor family inner working cuts
    -Gustavo was only 10% asshole, in the novel the guy was a blatant dirt bag
    -The anime's 1932 time line was a complete contradiction
    Spoiler:
    Lol, the Runarata's hooking up with Senator Barium in order to capture Dallas for Immortality experiments made absolutely no sense at all. This was probably my biggest displeasure in regards to the anime adaptation; the fact that they made Dallas the main focal point of the 1932 time line killed me inside since in all actuality, he was a mere subplot in which Eve was the only one in search.
    -Daily Days showdown never happened
    Spoiler:
    Oh man, I can't even go into why I'm angry at this. The epicness that went down there was probably too much for the anime to withstand anyway
    -No Vino vs Maria the Mexican Assassin (See above)
    -No Beg (I did not catch him in the anime at all)
    -No Luck vs Gustavo (One of the greatest Baccano! fight sequences period)

I can't even get into it all, a fucking travesty. Regardless of all the anime fail, the 4th novel is perfection; the reread just made me realize the anime could have done so much more.

Kieth's wife was left out too, I was actually kinda touched by that whole back story. Lol Also was I the only one rooting for a LuckXEve moment? Haha, You get too see some really fascinating introverted thought from Lucks character ie (His feelings during certain situations, the way he carries himself, how he views others), it was all extremely interesting.

----

The first novels adaptation was alright, there wasn't too much left out that would compromise the story but that isn't to say great stuff wasn't left out. I won't get into it now though, I'm kind of riveted after going through all the material going calm down and reflect lol

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  18. halfhearted The gaze into the sun Advisor

Same here. They move at their own pace so completely; it was surprising to see that Isaac actually had such an awareness of his surroundings. Particularly with how all of their escapes in the past seemed so accidental.

The newest translation was the update to Prologue I from Bullet Garden posted on the 11th at InProgress.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Novels are a lot longer than the text of a manga chapter or an anime episode's script. For instance, the second chapter of The Slash is over 100 pages long. That's a lot of ground to cover for a single translator who isn't being paid for their scripts while they might also be going to school and work (specifically, dawnelkin is a working student). And, 100+ pages is only a single chapter as compared to the entire novel.

Considering how quickly some translators still manage to update, I'd say that Baccano! translators are pretty efficient when they have an active project that they are working on.

19. halfhearted The gaze into the sun Advisor

I was making my daily rounds of the usual scan sites and happened to see the illustrations from Crack the Flag posted on the Baccano! LJ. So, I thought I would share my findings.

Spoiler: Originally scanned by becespleen

On a related topic brought on by posts from the same community -

Spoiler: Huey/Chane spoilers
    Our speculation can come to an end, Kiks!

Apparently, Chane is his biological daughter and was born naturally (assumed mother: Renee, his alchemy teacher from the 1700s). That gives one something to think about as regards his treatment of her. Although, I'm not sure my actual opinion of his character will change all that much.

20. Kikyo Some day...

Thanks for the scans.

Spoiler: huey/chane spoilers

:omg I wasn't expecting that! I mean, she's still young when we first meet her in the 1930s and we've been assuming that's she's been aging with Claire. I must think this over more!

21. halfhearted The gaze into the sun Advisor

Haha, oh, just passing the images along; I'm grateful that becespleen was kind enough to scan and share them. Speaking of which, here are the black and white images from the novel as well.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    I'm relatively certain that Chane is the age she appears to be rather than aging at a decreased rate. Renee is also an immortal from a generation of immortals created prior to the incident on the Adveena Avis. So, she and Huey could easily have conceived Chane in the early 1900s.

And, goodness, there are also more spoilers related to the Gandor family that involve Huey's children which make me a little sad and a little touched.

Spoiler:
    Apparently, Keith is the one who takes it upon himself to raise Charon, Claire and Chane's great-grandson. The implication is that neither he nor Kate had children, which is sad as they would make such lovely parents. But, it's also a bit moving to consider Keith adopting/fostering the young boy and raising him as his own.

22. halfhearted The gaze into the sun Advisor

Another novel picked up and new translations posted!

kirschwassers (http://kirschwassers.livejournal.com/) (livejournal)/emjay (http://www.blogger.com/profile/10240480663317233660) (blogspot) has started translating 1705: The Ironic Light Orchestra. So far, the color pages, prologue (http://evaluative.blogspot.com/2010/08/of-note-i-do-not-profess-to-be-super.html#more), and most of the first chapter (http://evaluative.blogspot.com/2010/08/ironic-light-orchestra-chapter-1.html#more) have been posted up on the user's blog :3

23. Ziko Superhero

24. Ralphy♥ 愛あなた永遠あな

Not that I know of, though I had a conversation with Hox (http://hox.fluffypress.com/) a short while back about picking up a Baccano! novel. He seemed fairly interested, even more so if I brought funding to the project.

Most of the Scan groups Ive spoken to didn't even know the Baccano! novels were being translated, or even where they were hosted. I'll keep my eyes peeled and spread the word.

Btw, the "Crack Flag" scans look fantastic.

25. halfhearted The gaze into the sun Advisor

Chapter 4 from Children of the Bottle (http://anonspore.blogspot.com/2010/09/baccano-2001-children-of-bottle-chapter.html) has been released by that awesome guy on Sporelife. The prospect of more Elmer (and Maiza and everyone else in the cast) being all Elmer-y fills me with delight :3

26. Mider T VM Rapist

Can anyone tell me what happens to Ladd after he gets imprisoned? And did he really lose his left arm and right ear?

27. Alveare I like headbands.

I know I already made a fangasm post earlier on this thread, but thank you SO much for putting the translations together here. I'm reading Children of Bottle right now, and the sporelife translation is WONDERFUL. I love getting to see more of my favorite characters~

Is anybody here fluent in Japanese? I was thinking about downloading the raws for practice but I don't know what level of difficulty they would be to read...

I know he lost his arm (kinda...he lost his hand and the flesh around the bone on his arm. Kinda gross x.x), but I don't know about his ear...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  28. Kikyo Some day...

Finally got the chance to read that new chapter of Children of the Bottle. :ohpek
    Sporeguy delivers. I love his translations. :ohpek

Spoiler: spoilerish? Just in case . . . um yeah, spoiler-ific
    And the twist was interesting. I wasn't expecting things to end the way it did. I was hoping for a "new" alchemist being behind it all, but there is another chapter, there may yet be. Quates may have indeed created the monster in the basement, perhaps a failed homunculus experiment. Or maybe some poor researcher who was experimented on with a failed panacea. Or maybe something entirely different. Narita has a way of doing that. :zaru

I still feel sorry for those poor villagers and Phil is even more adorable to me now. Dez... poor Dez. I feel bad for him, but there was no reason for him to try and kill everyone with his own consciousness either. Very novel way to kill someone, btw, how do you prove murder when the body is still alive, just with a different personality? We need some new laws to cover this kind of thing. XD I'm glad that Phil had enough personality by then to stop him. I hope that she would have anyway, but there's no real way to know. With the flask's contents already contaminated the way it was, could there really have been another outcome?

Can't wait for the end of the novel. :wtf

29. halfhearted The gaze into the sun Advisor

That awesome guy on Sporelife posted up Chapter 5 (http://anonspore.blogspot.com/2010/10/baccano-2001-children-of-bottle-chapter.html#more) from Children of the Bottle :3

EDIT: And, here comes the Epilogue (http://anonspore.blogspot.com/2010/10/baccano-2001-children-of-bottle.html), as well! Children of the Bottle is officially translated.

30. Kikyo Some day...

Just finished reading the end of Children of the Bottle. Lovely, lovely novel. Wasn't expecting the twist at the end with Felt and Phil, it was surprising and enjoyable.

Spoiler:
    so that's what Elmer originally asked of the demon? To smile and be happy? lol I shouldn't be surprised, but I'm also glad that he'd made both requests of the demon. Though I doubt the demon has been able to smile after all this time.

The "water" is eerie. And Elmer is evil. And Maiza is a hell of a guy, cutting open Elmer's gut to get the "flesh" :iik and Felt's Water from him. That part of the chapter, with the "flesh"... oh god... that was so gross. Sometimes I hate having a vivid imagination, I could just picture it. :iik

But did that mean that Bild wasn't quite a complete homnunculus? He was able to conceive a child, but it didn't live. Was it because he was a created human with faulty DNA (or alchemical DNA substitute?). On the other hand, infant mortality in such a place would be really high anyway, with the lack of modern medical facilities and research. Perhaps the baby Felt just died of SIDS or something else and it had nothing to do with his parentage. I wonder if the Phils are fertile? :hmm (Well perhaps after those 6 months of making sure they could live outside the village, they had to at the very least, extend her lifespans in those bodies.)

I'd love to know what kind of adventures the Phils and Felt had after leaving their bottle. Did they go with Maiza or Elmer? The ending didn't make it clear. They seem to have, at least, gotten better at relating to people. I wonder what Isaac and Miria thought of the story. Ennis is like an aunt? to the Phils and Felt, in a way. And they love Ennis like a sister.

It's interesting that this novel was in the works from very early on. I can see where most of the story and plot really hasn't anything to do with the rest of the novels, it's sort of a side story... an experiment gone wrong and needing to be cleaned up by others. But it really evolved into something with a lot of characterization for Sylvie and Czes, a bit for Maiza and Elmer. Nile still hasn't much characterization for me at all. He's still pretty 2 dimensional. And I really loved how Phil grew and changed as she interacted with Elmer and the other alchemists. I wonder if she knew (I'm sure she does now, being out of the bottle, or at least in a much expanded one) that just by meeting them and talking to them, her world had already begun to expand in her forest bottle?

Lots of questions and ruminations of individuality, personality and immortality from this novel. Too many really. It was an exercise in many concepts. Very imaginative. This may be my favorite Baccano novel yet (but don't hold me to it!).